BigKling's Playthrough Notes

Arran and MU 2:

Arran: Cough... Guh! [wheeze] (collapses)

MU: Sir Arran!? Your body...! Hold on! Someone! Sir Arran is...!

Arran: Wait... Please... don't speak of this to anyone.

MU: But... your condition!

Arran: Between wars... I fell to illness. But, for my honour as a knight, I will see this war through to the end. So that... I have no regrets.

MU: Sir Arran... why do you have to go this far?

Arran: Earlier, you asked me: what is the path of the knight...

I have been wandering in search of that path for some time... This war, is my path.

MU: Sir Arran...

Arran: My path is to sacrifice myself, for my knight's honour. MU, please. You too are a knight, you should understand.

MU: I understand. If that is your resolution, I won't stop you.

Woah... And this isn't even the final convo...

That's pretty deep for a B convo. A should be interesting, I hope.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 5:

For some reason, I don't remember starting in this position (on the middle-right of them map) in the original. But it has been a while since I played it.

George uses 'The proud commander' during his dialogue. I have a little more I want to say about the use of this theme, but I'll leave that till later. Oh, and the convo occurs right at the beginning of the chapter as opposed to the second turn.

If you position Julian right he can recruit Rikard on the first turn. He no longer has those somewhat-creepy hearts after his sentences like he did in FE3. One of the thieves here drops a master seal (highlighting these, because they're somwhat important) Barst one-shots them with about 70% accuracy, which is pretty cool.

Speaking of him, I'm very impressed and would like to continue using him. He's got great strength, good skill and enough speed to double most lance users. And he seems to gain strength, skill and speed on nearly every level up. I have a bit of a dillema regarding this though, I'll explain later.

Ok, I was trying to lure the Dracos into range of Ryan, but I didn't quite expect them to fly back to their mountain and start passing around a vulnerary. Cowards! Come down here and get your faces shot off by a 10 year old why don't you! (I'm not sure what Ryan's official age is though. Considering my guesses so far, I presume he's either way older or much younger)

On turn 8, a thief appears and talks about looting the village. Fortunatly, he had a run in with Sirius first. (who, I might add, is actually starting to get decent amounts of exp now)

Oh, and said village has the Hammerne Staff, which now has only 3 uses like it did in FE7/8. I did feel it was a bit overpowered in SD.

The rest of the chapter was pretty simple, but I expected reinforcements to come out of the forts near the castle. So much for Barst catching up with the rest of the party.

I had to waste a few turns getting to the secret shop. It has one Master Seal, and that's all. So that's all you miss out on if you decide to postpone getting Rikard until the next chapter.

After the chapter, Marth, MU and Jagen prepare to take on Lang.

Chapter 6:

Before the chapter, Jagen tells MU that Lang is a powerful general, but magic and Armourslayers could bring him down.

The deploy count is the same as last time, so I've kicked out Wrys to add Barst.

Clock bonuses:

Mallisa: +friendship

Luke: Found Wry's Staff (description: 'the Altean Curate Wry's staff)

Draug: Found what I believe is a stamina drink of something (basically the stronger vulnerary)

Castor: Found Frying Pan. (maybe he conned someone out of it)

Palla: +29 exp

I think it's about time I sell my bullions. However, it seems that joke weapons sell for 0 gold...

Gave the Gemini shard to Linde. Since there are going to be lots of armours here, I thought Barst could 'borrow' Bord's Hammer... but it turns out he can't use it. (he only starts with a D, odd)

Base convos:

About Nabarl:

Shiida says she has something she needs to tell MU.

Shiida: It may only be a rumour but... It seems Lang has hired the swordfighter Nabarl.

MU: Nabarl... I've heared that name before. The scarlet swordsman...

Shiida: But, Nabarl fought on our side in the last war. I spoke to him, and he understood...

[flashback to recruitment from SD, but Shiida still has her new portrait]

Shiida: If we meet him, please, let me speak with him.

MU and Mallisa 2:

Mu says she should speak to Jagen, but I'm not really sure why. I think MU may be telling her that Marth is already engaged, and it seems like the starts to cry. MU tries to comfort her, and she tells him not to treat her like a child... while reffering to herself in 3rd person. (which, I may point out, is a common trait amoung childish characters in japanese anime)

On to the chapter itself. Strangely, Samuto still uses Nabarl's portrait until you recruit him, which is a bit odd considering the now wear totally diffrerent clothes. So Samuto must be wearing two shirts or something. Although he also has these shoulder pads Nabarl dosen't have at all, so how did he hide them?

Marth and Jagen have a line that wasn't in the original, but I suppose it's forshadowing...

Frey and Norne joining on turn 3. I think they managed to escape Altea when it was taken over by Hardin. However, as I expected, reinforcements spawn from the castle entrance starting from next turn. They were probably in pursuit of them or something. They keep respawning until after turn 8, a mixture of soldiers, armours and archers. Good thing I blockaded the entrance with MU and Sirius. now Barst can start catching up.

Oh and this chapter sees the first appearence of Swarm. [sarcasm]Oh joy.[/sarcasm]

Lots of star shards here, including Libra, that's my star sign! Unfortunatly, it's just +2 luck. Probably the most useless, unless you really want to avoid fluke criticals, but most characters in this game have enough luck to do that anyway.

For all that buildup, Lang was totally pathetic. I had Ogma finish him off with the Armourslayer. Vengence for Lorenz!

Wow, the music that plays during the end-chapter event is epic!!! What's the name of the track?

EDIT: It turns out it's just called 'victory'. Although the remake actually added an extra bit to it.

Chapter 6x:

Not sure why this chapter takes place, but as you'll see, it's quite significant...

But first, some supports.

Ryan and MU 3:

MU says that after the war is over, Ryan will be able to return to his family. He then says that MU will be able to too. But MU says that his father passed away, so he dosen't have a home or family to go to.

Ryan offers MU to come and stay at his house, and says that he already thinks of MU like another brother.

Obtain defence bond!

Catria and MU 2:

Not sure, but I think MU finds out about Catria's crush on Marth. (he talks about the fact that she fights so that someone else is watching her)

Julian and MU 1:

This one's pretty short. Julian talks about Lena, and MU says she must be very important to him. He promises that they will do anything to get her back.

Ok, now the one many have been waiting for. Just a heads up, this took me about 1.5 hours to translate, and was probably one of the hardest conversations I've done so far. Forgive me if some of the lines look a bit engrishy, I'm not to sure what to make of some of them just yet.

Oh, and the music that plays during this. You guessed it, 'The Proud Commander'. As if they couldn't make it any more obvious

Sirius: Mm, you are...

MU: MU. So, you're really Sirius.

Sirius: Indeed but, that's rude of you. Your eagerness, are you by chance confrounting me?

MU: I just don't trust you, that's all. The fact that you hide your face and identity... even your name, Sirius, it's a pseudonym, right?

Sirius: ...

MU: Above all, this is cowardly. You seem to be a renound warrior. [Note: Ok, this was diffucult. The first like is literally, "you lack the chance". It took me a while, but I think cowardice is probably what he's implying, and it certainly makes the rest of the convo make more sense]

Sirius: I'm a coward? I have sought the battlefield many times before. [note: ok, this one is really hard too. I don't think I'm entirely right here, but still]

MU: You decieve us. You, you don't have the strength a knight should! Just who are you?

Sirius: So you say...

MU: Marth is gracious, however, it seems he's brought a scoundrel here. I will protect Marth from someone like that, absolutley.

Sirius: It's a shame but, it seems we cannot resolve this discussion.

MU: Ah

Sirius: Now, go!*

[finishing blow sound]

MU: Wha!? Too... fast.

Sirius: I used the back of my sword. Just put ice on it quickly.

MU: Agh...

*note: the kanji he uses here can mean: go, visit a temple, be defeated, die, fall madly in love or f***ed up. No, seriously. I think 'get out' is what he implies though.

Oh, and 'striking with the back, i.e. blunt edge, of one's sword is just two kanji and another character in Japanese. It's actually a pretty common concept. For those of you who play Pokemon, the move False Swipe is actually based of this. (it's Japanese name is Blunt Strike)

I used the clock function again, but it just caused Cord and Sirius to gain friendship with MU. The latter is pretty ironic considering the conversation they just had...

Now on to the actual chapter. It opens with Ceaser and Radd talking, with... 'The Proud Commander' playing. Ok, I have to say this here, this track is SO overused in this game it's not funny. It used to be Camus/Michalis's theme, but now it's used for virually any high-ish ranking general, (Astram in the next chapter uses it too) admittedly there are some situations where it really fits and sounds amazing (Ogma and Nabarl's dual in DL3, Sirius' supports) but there are other times where it dosen't fit at all, like here. Come on, it's Ceaser and Radd, this theme just does not fit them. I would rather have had 'off to war' playing here, It would probably suit the moment much better.

A bit of a tangent here, but to anyone who's played the Phoenix Wright series, I would compare this theme to "Search: Core 2002" In Justice For All, it was the theme of... let's just say 'a certain late-game villain'. Then in the next game, Trials and Tribulations, it just became a regular event theme, and was used all over the place, usually when it didn't really fit at all. Sounds a lot like the treatment of 'The Proud Commander' to me...

Sorry for that minor rant. I can forgive them for it, since the rest of the event music in this game is fantastic. (barring off to war) As for what Ceaser and Radd are actually saying:

Radd: Ceaser, do you really think this is a good idea? Fighting the Altean army...

Ceaser: We are mercinaries. We do not disobey our employer [note: he says 'master' but I think this is what he means] And I need money, I'll do anything for it.

He mentions Hardin and a girl here.

Ceaser: My sister is my responsibility. The Altean army is strong, you'll get killed if you're not at your best.

Radd says she's his responsibility too. As someone else has already translated, Ceaser has a younger sister, who is implied to be Radd's girlfriend as well (the one mentioned in his SD ending) I don't actually think her wherabouts is implied here, so I think it's revealed in supports.

Scene switches to Roro and Kleine.

Kleine says something first that I can't quite get.

Roro: AiAi, my turn now. Yokiki. With the help of these mercinaries, I will kill Marth.

Kleine: 'Those mercinaries' fought on Marth's side in the last war. Do you really think they'll go through with this?

Roro: Ah? It dosen't matter. If the mercinaries are bad, I will kill them. (that or: "if the mercinaries are bad, I will kill Marth myself." Could be implying either)

The chapter itself is very short, the real difficulty is making sure Ceaser and Radd don't suicide themselves. Blocking of their routes with unequipped characters works well. The real point of intrest however, is the boss...

Battling Roro: Yokiki. Leeeeeeeeeeeeeets Fiiiiight!

Defeating:

I may die but...

'We' will never die...

Yoki...ki...

[Note: This is very difficult to convey in English. This is not simply "we" it's "me, plural". That had a very different implication.]

Yes, Roro does indeed die here. Or at least, this Roro does...

Post-chapter:

Ceaser certainly needs a lot of convincing. Marth says they are his important commrades, he just keeps saying he needs money. MU is finally able to convince him. Ceaser says "from now on, we are your mercinaries" Note that Radd dosen't get any lines here, just Ceaser.

Meanwhile...

Kleine: Ah, Roro. You used a fake, [probably implies 'double'] didn't you? It really looked like you died out there.

Roro: No no, not fake. He is my 'sibling'. We are all parts of a whole. One person.

Kleaine: fuh, whatever. But, Is the you I see now the real deal? Or are you also a fake?

Roro: Huh? Sometimes, I too forget. Yokiki. The real me and my 'siblings' will kill that person. Yokiki.

Ok, from now on, I'm going to translate all conversations involving Roro. His condition is one of the few mysteries of this game that remains. I'm pretty sure 10x will reveal everything, and I have a feeling he gets killed off for real then. Is 'he' just a tribe of people, or, like someone else said, does he split in two whenever he dies? Oh and if anyone knows, please don't spoil it for me.

One thing I do know, I suspect "Yokiki" may be a corruption of the Japanese word for "good"

Now, after all that, I have a request: could someone please tell me what the deployment count is for the final chapter? I will be using Nabarl when he comes, and I would like to fit in Feena too. Once I get Arran's 3rd convo I can safely drop him, and Malissa may be a droppng candidate too... I'd just like to have room for Barst. I'm really impressed with him. Of course, 4 of the final chapter slots need to be filled with Sirius, (not a problem, since I'm using him) Minerva, Merric and Julian, so Barts may not make it into the final chapter...

Edited by Big Klingy

I believe Caesar/Radd get lines at the end if you avoided fighting them during the chapter. If they both attack someone during the chapter, then none of them will say anything at the end. But you'll get to use them as long as they survive.

A bit of a tangent here, but to anyone who's played the Phoenix Wright series, I would compare this theme to "Search: Core 2002" In Justice For All, it was the theme of... let's just say 'a certain late-game villain'. Then in the next game, Trials and Tribulations, it just became a regular event theme, and was used all over the place, usually when it didn't really fit at all. Sounds a lot like the treatment of 'The Proud Commander' to me...

This is exactly what I was thinking regarding this theme too. Fortunately I found out how to alter this issue through hacking.

Edited by Axefighter Barst

I believe Caesar/Radd get lines at the end if you avoided fighting them during the chapter. If they both attack someone during the chapter, then none of them will say anything at the end. But you'll get to use them as long as they survive.

That's odd... Ceaser definately attacked someone, yet he still had a line. (the whole line actually) And completing the chapter without them attacking someone is much easier said than done.

Now, after all that, I have a request: could someone please tell me what the deployment count is for the final chapter?

That would be 12 (counting Marth). In fact, I think at one point it becomes 12 all the way through with the exception of the Gaidens.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

You can complete Chapter 6x in one turn if you use the Rescue Staff. Just kill Roro and carve out a path through the northwest / northeast sides, and have someone Rescue Marth over and he can Seize. Rescue is an E Rank staff so any Curate / Cleric can use it.

Roro should be interesting. The next chapter with Roro is 12x IIRC, and you get Roro clones all over the place @_@

It's great to see all the translated supports and story, much better than SD's story. It is a pity that they didn't program more support convos in, for every support.

Chapter 7:

Nothing really important in the preparations, so I'll get on to the support convos.

Linda and MU 2:

MU: Ah, Linde. You've come to a good place.

Linde: What's that?

MU: There was a strawberry tree nearby, so I picked some.

Don't they look delicious? Here, you try one.

Linde: Eh? These are strwberries?

MU: Haven't you eaten them before?

Linde: Oh, yes I have. I ate them with Nyna back at the Palace.

But they were bright red. These ones have a different shape and colour.

MU: Really? You often see this kind in the mountains. Do you think it's bad?

Well, try it and see.

Linde: Thank you...n...

MU: How is it?

Linde: Delicious! Much better than the stuff back at the Palace.

[okay, unfortunatly, I couldn't quite get the rest of the convo, which is actually the most significant part.

Basically, she asks if MU could take her to the mountains one day, but he says people would think her appearence is odd. People would stare at her because of her robes. Maybe implying people would want to steal it or something. She says her father gave her the robe, and it's very important to her. Says she'll try not to make eye contact or something]

Ok, this next one... well, you'll see...

Ogma and MU 2:

MU: Sir Ogma...

Ogma: What is it? Whant to go another round.

That battle the other day, couldn't be settled.

MU: No, I lost. At first, I struck too suddenly, and you went easy on me.

Otherwise, I my body wouldn't have been able to stand up on the battlefield...

I've seen that your fighting style, is completley different to that of a knight...

Ogma: It's dirty fighting, right?

MU: I may have said so earlier. However, against that 'dirty fighting' I couldn't do anything.

Your fighting defies military regulations, I...

Ogma: Gladiatorial Fighting. Fighting for the spectacle of killing.

Throwing sand in your opoinent's eyes [note: It's either this or "gouging eyes out". Considering what comes next, this may be more appropriate...]

Your sword stained in blood and gore, smashing heads in...

Roaring like violent beasts, crushing your opponent's flesh until they can no longer move.

When I was just a kid, I was thrown into that place, to fight.

MU: That's... that place, sounds more cruel than the battlefield.

Ogma: You know a better world. One I can no longer recall...

Now do you understand, I amied for your road, but we both ended up in diffrerent places.

Ok, could that one conversation bump the game's rating up? Seriously, it's rated 'All Ages' in Japan...

This conversation explains a lot about something that was only implied in earlier games. That explains why, when recruiting Samto with Ogma, he tells Samto "Enough... Don’t say anymore! It’s already in the past... In the past..." when he recounts how the met in Knorda's fighting pits. Ogma obviously dosen't want to be reminded of his expereinces there. Undersatandably too, I mean, seeing people getting their heads smashed open as a kid...

I don't think I'm ever going to want to use the arena in Knorda again...

Anyway, here's a significantly more lighthearted one:

Barst and MU 1:

Barst: Oy, you!

MU: Huh?

Barst: So... you're MU? I see... probably...

MU: What do you want? Where are your manners.

Barst: Oops, sorry!

I'm Barst. You, have a great body! [it's not what it sounds like, trust me. You'll see]

MU: Uh... ok? [note: I think this is pretty close to what his reaction should be]

Barst: Seems like a waste, you being a knight. You must have been blessed with a great trainer!

MU: My trainer, was my father. You shouldn't feel bad for saying such things [note: Ok, this second sentence is most likely a set Japanese phrase for responding to praise. Thrust me, they have lots of them]

But, how can you tell this much?

Barst: After the War of Shadows, I did various things.

MU: "War of Shadows", that means, you fought with Marth...

Barst: Yep, exactly that.

MU: Ah! Forgive me Barst, Sir...

Barst: Just call me Barst! Let's meet again MU!

Ok, I think the point here is the both realise they were being impolite to eachother, which is a big thing in Japan, so I'm not sure this really works when translated...

Ok, and theres one base convo here.

About the Akaneian Mercinaries:

Marth mentions troops stationed to the northwest, and says their captain is the Akaneian hero Astram, who wields the Mercurinius.

Astria helped in the preveous war, serving Nyna.

[flashback to him speaking with Marth in SD. This convo definatley exists, but it's not up on the site's SD script page for some reason]

Marth advises MU to avoid fighting him if possible.

Ok, now the clock bonuses:

Palla: Found Bamboo Sword

Wrys: +str and spd. [uh... what?]

Julian: Found... another frying pan?! Damn it! Although my luck quickly changed...

Rikard: Found Kleine's Bow. [she appeared in 6x, so maybe he nicked it off her then? I find it odd that Julian's 'haul' is just a frying pan, while Rikard brings back this awesome bow. Pretty ironic.]

Now that I've got so many Shards, I'll give an update on who has what

Marth: Libra

Linde: Aquerius

Barst: Cancer

Ryan: Tauros

Sirius: Gemini

The chapter itself is pretty much identical to how I remembered it. Nabarl has easy oppertunity to catch up with the rest of the party due to the thieves. Strangely, the items they drop all help him in some way. One has an Iron Sword (In case you don't want to wear out that Killing Edge) two have Master Seals (so he's pretty much set when he needs to promote) one has a Wo Dao (in case you want his crit to be even more insane) and one has a Sepaph Robe (great for Feena) Of couse, the Scorpio Shard thief was my highest priority, and that dosen't really help him that much. Anyway.

Nabarl is getting pretty awesome level ups. Either I'm just luck or he's just that awesome (probably both) because he's getting 4 or 5 stat ups pretty consistantly. He even got Res!

When the Fire Dragon appears, Jagen says "Marth, watch out! A Fire Dragon has appeared from the western cave." That thing is one of the biggest examples of a Boss in Mook's Clothing I've seen in FE, actually. (it's tougher than every boss so far combined) It took the combined effort of Marth, Catria and Ryan to finally bring it down, and even then Marth had to get a crit. Of course, on Loony it's even more insane...

Also, Astram has dialogue with his soldiers on turn 2, as I recall. I don't see this on the FE3 script translation page, so I presume it's new. He basically tells them not to move unless they are attacked.

After the chapter, Jagen asks MU if he's heared the Legend of Naga, before recounting it. The music here is something I don't quite remember being in the original.

MU tells Wendell they'll be leaven soon, and sneezes. Wendell asks if MU has caught a cold. I don't know how wearing a pope hat is meant to solve that though...

Chapter 8:

No dialogue before the preparations screen whatsoever. It makes this chapter even more suspenseful.

Ok, I can officially confirm that Feena can no longer use Rapiers. Shame about that, she actually became a somewhat-decent fighter at higher levels in the original. Her growths are still insane though.

Now, here's the one you've all been waiting for...

Arran and MU 3:

Arran: In the past... I served a different country to Altea.

There was a rebellion in the territories, and my lord ordered me to surpress it.

But when I got there, it was not a rebel army...

It was a group of peasents living in poverty who had had a bad harvest that winter.

MU: ...

Arran: And they were willing to fight. Simply in order to live... they had to protest.

My lord knew this, yet still he ordered me to attack, to teach me a lesson.

And I... carried out that order.

Arran: I learned that loyalty to your lord, was the path of the knight.

But, I knew I was wrong... So I left my original master, and spent my days wandering...

MU: Really... However, that was not your crime. The guilty one is...

Arran: No, I... I cannot forgive myself. I obeyed that order.

I try to tell myself otherwise in my mind but, above all, I have only myself to blame.

Arran: The lord I vowed to by lowal to... I finally encountered the one I searched for.

Marth is my lord now. As long as I fight for him, I advance on my path.

MU: So... that's why you forced yourself into this war...

Arran: I am not long for this world. But I will fight until the end of my life.

So, I have no regrets.

Being a knight is not about following orders like a puppet. Nor is it about loyalty.

Believing in yourself as your lord. Believing in your own sense of justice. That is the path of the knight.

Sir Arran, If you prefer, please let me carry on your path.

Arran: MU...

MU: Through your words, I feel it has become clear.

I must follow, the path of the knight.

Obtain skill bond.

I thought we'd get the explanation, exactly why he fights in spite of his illness. Come to think of it, perhaps his self-doubt was the reason he sucked so much in SD. (yeah, trying use his backstory to justify his gameplay flaws, but come on, it does make sense) Anyway, Arran has got a lot of hate from the community for being one of the worst paladins in FE history (SD version obviously) but I hope these convos help redeem him as a character.

I'll update with the rest of the info conversations and actual chapter later. Now If you'll excuse me, I'm off to edit Arran's Fire Emblem Wikia page.

Edited by Big Klingy

I thought we'd get the explanation, exactly why he fights in spite of his illness. Come to think of it, perhaps his self-doubt was the reason he sucked so much in SD. (yeah, trying use his backstory to justify his gameplay flaws, but come on, it does make sense) Anyway, Arran has got a lot of hate from the community for being one of the worst paladins in FE history (SD version obviously) but I hope these convos help redeem him as a character.

I thought he was just an uptight popinjay, the poor bastard.

They'll probably edit Ogma's description of the arena (maybe something along the lines of "throwing sand in your opponent's eyes, doing whatever it takes to survive in the pit. . .that is the life of a gladiator").

Looks like we can blame Arran's self-doubt for his lousy stats growths. Good riddance.

Please keep posting!

Wait if Arran served a nation other then Altea, how come the villagers in book 1 say he was an accomplished general from Altea? When did he switch sides and what country was he from?

On his history of killing innocents in the past, I kinda had the idea that Arran did something bad in the past which he regretted.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

It's okay, you don't need to feel bad about it. This is my playthrough, and I won't be taking requests, but that dosen't mean I won't consider them for future playthroughs. I don't know about Cain, but I certainly will be using Abel in my 'pre-promotes only' playthrough. (planned for after this one)

Thank you. I'm sorry that I bothered you. I'll stay quiet and just observe. I apologize.

Wait if Arran served a nation other then Altea, how come the villagers in book 1 say he was an accomplished general from Altea? When did he switch sides and what country was he from?

On his history of killing innocents in the past, I kinda had the idea that Arran did something bad in the past which he regretted.

I read the script on this site to clarify this:

In Shadow Dragon Arran mentions he was a captain to many knights, but eventually settled down in that Altean village.

There doesn't seem to be any mention of Arran being an Altean general, so that part must have been removed or just included in Book 1.

Also in regards to Barst's conversation, I'm surprised to hear he causes an awkward moment.

Edited by Axefighter Barst

Looking at the script, you're right Arran never says he was from Altea. I guess I must've just thought he was a general and in Altea, so he must've been an Altean general.

I wonder what nation he's really from, maybe Grust?

Or maybe that country that Michalis becomes king of in the ending...? (probably not)

Anyway, more base convos here:

About Jeorge:

Well, Marth mentions that Jeorge knows Gordin, and later says that he would like to speak to him. Obviously hinting that either Marth or Gordin can recruit him now. Since Marth seems new, I'll do that. (I also don't want to waste a slot on Gordin...)

About Rodger:

Shiida says that Rodger was amoung those who joined in the past war.

[cue SD flashback]

And says she would like to meet him again.

There's 11 slots now, which means I can fit Nabarl and Feena in. Unfortunatly, I need room for Shiida... since I thought Feen would be pretty much essensial here (how right I was), I had to take out Barst. So I gave him a level in the arena to compensate.

Now, the Kain dialogue at the beginning of the chapter has changed significantly, probably to reflect his greater role in the prologue. Basically he gets several new lines with MU.

Rodger recruitment:

Shiida: Good day, sir.

Roger: Ack! Y... aren't you Shiida?

Shiida: Roger, I'm glad we could meet again.

Roger: Uh... f.. for your information, I'm with the Akaneian army now.

That time you told me "do you believe in love?", those words stuck in my mind but...

I am a different person to who I was before.

Shiida: Is that right? But you're still as sweet and kind as before. I'm glad we had the chance to talk again.

Roger: uh...

Shiida: Why have you joined Akaneia?

Roger: Akaneia rules the world, to go against them... would be foolish. Nobody could win...

I regret to admit it but... I thought joining with the stronger side would help me live longer.

Shiida: Right...

Roger: Are you... dissapointed?

Shiida: No, it's not that. I'm very relectant to fight you. You're still every bit the man you used to be. I'm glad I know that.

Roger: Uh... you're leaving, again?!

Shiida: I must, I have to go and tell Marth not to fight you. Roger, I'm glad we had the chance to talk again.

Roger: W... wait! You're still so kind. Dare I say, there are no girls like you in Grust or Akaneia. I suppose...

aw heck, I'm going with you one more time!

I changed a few bits to make them similar the the english version of their conversation in SD, (to preserve the joke of this conversation) but the meaning is still exactly the same as in Japanese. I did lose a bit of respect for him for going over to Akaneia just to save himself though. (at least he dosen't go quite to the degree Matthis does though)

And speaking of Matthis, I'm actually quite interested to see his convos, for laughs. Unfortunatly, that would involve using him... ugh. I do love how the game makes no attempt to hide how bad he is. (he's basically portrayed as the FE equivilent of Sir Robin)

After that slight tangent, I'd like to mention that Hardin actually gets two lines before his big confrountation with Marth. Once at the start of the first enemy phase, and once again about two turns later. He uses 'Ancient Mage Dragon' from SD as his theme, which fits him quite well... except for the name of course. (I wonder if they'll change it...)

Even though you're technically not supposed to, I lured and killed the generals. (I want that Arms Scroll!) Marth leveled up and gained everything except Mag and Res!!!

Ok, I was blockading the lower bridge to leech exp off the reinforcements, I wasn't aware the heroes moves so soon. Time to pull back, methinks. At least I have Sirius down there being awesome. Of course, I had Marth recruit Jeorge, but that means I still need to survive one more turn, and those reinforcement generals are very scarey.

Thankfully I realised it was possible to pull back just enough to be out of reach of Astram. (he's capable of killing Sirius btw)

Well, with that over with, It's time to leave... but that won't stop us from taking a few cheap shots at the heroes and generals before we go! (Linde and Ryan got some much-needed exp out of this) At least Hardin dosen't move. (did he in the original?) His battle quote is no exaggeration, at this point, anyone who gets in his range will die horribly.

Oh, here's the Jeorge recruitment dialogue:

Marth: Wait Commander Jeorge, I must speak with you!

Jeorge: Prince Marth... step away, I don't want to fight you.

Marth: I feel the same. You taught Gordin archery, you've been a great teacher to the Altean knights.

My country owes a lot to you, and for that reason, I will not fight.

Jeorge: Prince Marth...

I already swore an oath to Nina, but I can't stand Hardin.

He used his might to threaten other countries, and executed anybody who opposed him without question.

Marth: Hardin was my friend, but he has changed, and commited many unforgivable acts.

Please, we need your strength.

Jeorge: I understand, Prince. Once again I will lend you my strength.

I will draw my bow against my own country, to bring back the Kingdom of Akaneia of old.

[Note: the last few lines are a slight variation on his recruitment in the original (with Gordin)]

I must say, the ending dialogue has much improved from the rather abrupt ending to an otherwise epic chapter in the original. When Marth says everyone is still fighting, MU enters and says he will take care of things here, and make sure everyone else is alright, he urges Jagen to escape with Marth.

Only one thing they could have improved: now would be the perfect time for a sidequest, with MU as main lord helping everyone to escape. (with perhaps Kleine or Roro trying to take advantage of the situation) Still, this was an epic chapter overall.

Right, I promised a stat update every 5 chapters, (including sidequests) so here it is. Now seems as good a time as any.

Marth

Lv: 14

HP: 34

Str: 14

Mag: 0

Skl: 12

Spd: 14

Luk: 16

Def: 12

Res: 0

Comments: Still going strong, although I noticed he hasn't gained much Skill. Still, he's kind of RNG-proof in that area now.

Klingy(MU)

HP: 31

Str: 16

Mag: 3

Skl: 13

Spd: 8

Luk: 8

Def: 17

Comments: Speed is now enough to avoid being doubled by most things, and with the Scorpio Shard he doubles most slower enemies. Can now use Silver Lances, making him an offensive powerhouse.

Catria

HP: 30

Str: 12

Mag: 2

Skl: 14

Spd: 20 (max)

Luk: 16

Def: 10

Res: 7

Comments: First member to max something. Has a B lance rank too, but her offence was somewhat-lacking for a while due to a genuine lack of good lances. That was until I remember to take Frey's Killer Lance off him. Double crits with her are now becoming very common.

Linde

HP: 23

Str: 0

Mag: 10

Skl: 11

Spd: 16

Luk: 18

Def: 3

Res: 4

Comments: To be honest, these were the kind of stats she had as a level 1 sage in SD. (although I may have just got very screwed with her) She's become my 'general vaporiser' now. Although I really hope she dosen't die in one hit to the upcoming Flying Dragons... (she probably will)

Ogma

HP: 34

Str: 14

Skl: 18

Spd: 18

Luk: 10

Comments: I noticed he was always getting 3 stat ups in the arena, so I wanted to level him in the actual chapter and see If he could do better... he got 2 (one of which was HP, which he always gets anyway) But then on his next level, he got 5. It seems that with this game, since most people has excellent growths, bad level ups will generally make up for themselves later on.

Ryan

HP: 27

Str: 12

Skl: 13

Spd: 11

Luk: 7

Def: 9

Comments: Gaah! Now his speed's fallen behind! He's starting to fail to double cavs now... At least his strength's getting pretty high. (kind of reminds me of RD Rolf in that regard, he had an oddly high strength growth)

Mallisa

Lv: 8

HP: 18

Str: 0

Mag: 3

Skl: 2

Spd: 8

Luk: 15

Def: 2

Res: 10

Comments: Is it just me or is she not as good as Lena was in SD? I probably won't be using a Seal on her, and I may drop her for a slightly-early-promoted Merric later on. (I've gotta use him in Final anyway, may as well make him a decent healbot. One that can also attack pretty well, I might add)

Sirius

Lv: 7

HP: 32

Str: 17

Mag: 1

Skl: 17

Spd: 17

Luk: 8

Def: 14

Res: 7

Comments: Since there's not much else to say other than 'he still owns', I thought I might add this: I've trail-leveled him in the arena a few times (i.e. saving, getting him about 5 levels, resetting and doing it again. Yeah, I get bored sometimes) And I've found that, due to his great growths in most areas, his stats can vary wildly. E.g. he can have a lot more luck and defence than this, but if he does he'll usually have less str and/or speed.

Barst

HP: 35

Str: 20 (max)

Skl: 16

Spd: 15

Luk: 13

Comments: Yes, Barst is good, real good. Playing around with reclassing reveals some interesting things, he has crazy stats as a Merc, and as a Knight he has equal or better stats than MU in nearly every area! (however, he'd have slightly worse growths overall, and only an E in lances) His best option is probably Pirate/Zerk (funny considering his SD ending), but of course, I won't be using any of these, this playthrough at least.

Nabarl

HP: 29

Str: 11

Skl: 20 (max)

Spd: 20 (max)

Luk: 11

Def: 11

Res: 1

Comments: Awesomness. I will admit I got very def blessed (not to mention res) with him though. He criticals a lot even with an Iron Sword! I'm going to hold off my 'best SM in the series' judgement for now (well, FE4 excluded) but it's probably between him and Rutgar, who'll probably win, but Nabarl certainly has a shot at second. Disclaimer: This is just my opinion.

Feena

Lv: 4

HP: 18

Str: 4

Skl: 4

Spd: 15

Luk: 11

Def: 6

Comments: When I was playing SD, I realised that you really miss having a dancer around. She may not be able to affect 4 people at once, but she's certainly still invluable. Without her in the last chapter, at least one person would have died to the heroes.

I still have one slight problem... who to give the maturity drop to. My candidates were Marth, MU or Sirius. Although MU will probably max str, skl, def and possibly spd in his own. I thouht of Sirius at first, to make his final stats more on par with a non-pre-promote, but that was before I knew how good his growths were... and Marth still seems like a good candidate too. Any advice as to which one of these to pick? (note: I may do WiFi after the main story)

Edited by Big Klingy

Well, with that over with, It's time to leave... but that won't stop us from taking a few cheap shots at the heroes and generals before we go! (Linde and Ryan got some much-needed exp out of this) At least Hardin dosen't move. (did he in the original?) His battle quote is no exaggeration, at this point, anyone who gets in his range will die horribly.

Wait he doesn't move anymore? In the original Hardin starts advancing after he has a conversation with Marth, if you get too close or attack his generals. I really hope he still moves on the hardest difficulty. It gave the map a sense of danger and made it so you had to finish the map quickly

Wait he doesn't move anymore? In the original Hardin starts advancing after he has a conversation with Marth, if you get too close or attack his generals. I really hope he still moves on the hardest difficulty. It gave the map a sense of danger and made it so you had to finish the map quickly

Well... he dosen't have 0 move like some enemies, if anyone gets into his range, he will move and most likely kill them. And he may start moving after a few turns. I completed the chapter a turn after his conversation with Marth.

I still got that sense of danger here, you don't want to get caught between Astram's Mercurinius and a buch of respawning, moving generals with silver lances. (if Marth gets attacked by 2 generals in the same enemy phase it's all over, basically)

And I'm pretty sure he would move on Lunatic. I mean, they do stuff far worse there, (Sniper in chapter 6, forging the Master Sword of two Swordmasters in chapter 11...) might as well put that back in.

Jeorge taught more than Gordin?! That's news to me!

I'm not really sure that's what he's implying, I think it's just 'you've been a great teacher'

Ok, before I go into detail about the next chapters, I'd like to mention a few things about the BS chapters. I completed BS 2 last night, with a score of:

Total: 435

Which is pretty good considering I let Wolf and Est die. I decided to translate the rank names just for the heck of it, and here they are, in order:

Speed

Assets (or funds)

Survival

Experience

Ah, I knew there was an exp rank! The fact that I got full points for it (I presume the scores are out of 150) probably means that even if someone dies, the exp they gained still counts towards your ranking. I find a good approach here is to try and make sure everyone levels up at least once. (and not letting pre-promotes hog all the kills, unless really necissary)

Regarding 'assets', I lost a village early on, so I guess that's why my rank took such a bit hit. (odd that losing a village is penalised more heavily than losing Wolf and Est) The exact specifics of 'assets' have a lot of people confused. Do you lose points if you use your Vulneraries?

A note on BS in general: you may not know until you play them, but each chapter has a different goal.

BS1: Defeat Boss

BS2: Rout (despite there being a castle, it's not seize. I kind of guessed that from the fact that the castle gate isn't glowing)

BS3: No clue as of yet. Haven't quite played it seriously. (probably one of the harder ones, as all your characters are quite frail and start off with only Iron weapons. Plus I need to think about how to best use Lena's Warp and Rescue staves)

BS4: The chapter ends when Nyna reaches the highlighted fort in the north-east. So it's pretty much an escape mission.

Regarding BS4, I did a rushed and very bad attempt of it (everyone died except Nyna and Camus) just so I could get a feel of it. I only scored in the low 200's. You can complete the chapter without even fighting the boss, although I guess doing so is very bad for your ranking. I don't think you're expected to fight their army head-on, the reinforcements will simply overwhelm you. But you should at least hold them off for a while, for the exp rank.

Now, after that, it's back to the main story.

Chapter 9:

MU meets up with Marth, who asks if everyone is alright.

Ok, now here is Sirius' second convo. I warn you, this is probably a pretty bad attempt. Translating Sirius' dialogue is an absolute nightmare, as he speaks in what is pretty much the Japanese equivilant of Shakespearean English. Seriously, it's like trying to translate Hamlet into Japanese, while keeping the subtle layers of meaning in every line!

Oh and this dosen't use "The Proud Commander". It uses the paino 'advance' arrangement.

Sirius and MU 2:

MU: Sir Sirius!

Siruis: MU?

MU: I apologise for my rudeness the other day. After witnessing you fight on the battlefield...

I was sure you were a true knight.

Sirius: No, that's fine. Why do you speak out on such a thing?

[note: literally: 'why do you raise your head'. I presume this is either a metaphor, an old samurai expression, or he's just telling MU not to bow when speaking to him(?)]

The other day, you led me into a difficult situation. I'll admit that.

However, they are not grounds for forgiveness(?).

MU: What...! Why do you still conceal yourself! [note: probably has the connotation of 'why do you still lie to me' or 'you're still hiding something')

Sirius: Your actions the other day were only in service of yourself. And yet you believe they are justified?

I know that those actions would only result in tragedy.

MU: Sir Sirrius...?

Sirius: MU, If I must, I will answer your question from the other day.

my true name is...

MU: No, Sir Sirius, that's enough. Isn't it best if I don't know that fact?

Sirius: !

MU: The facts about you, along with your fighting, [note: lit 'combined with the sword', but I presume that's a metonym] tell me all I need to know. Above all, Marth showed me...

[now this next bit has me really confused, it's something like "even for evil people" and ends with "it does not matter". Any ideas?]

Sirius: ...MU

MU: Sirius, I give you my thanks.

Sirius: You're welcome.

[yet another note: the last two lines feature some very VERY formal language, which makes pefect sense to me in Japanese but is very hard to accuratly translate into English]

I also got Marth/MU 2, but again, I couldn't quite understand it. Maybe I'll try to translate them on my second playthrough. Although there are two points of note, firstly, the music starts off with the "7th platoon members chatting" theme, but chances to the mournful paino 'advance' arrangement halfway through, probably signalling a dramatic change in topic. Secondly, I believe that, provided you always deploy MU, the Marth supports always occur at specific points in the story. I don't think it's pure coincidence that I got this one just at the start of the 'second phase' of the story (i.e. first change of player phase theme)

About Khadein:

Linde speaks here, I believe she's warning you about the large number of mages you'll have to face.

Clock bonuses:

Matthis: got 26 exp (facepalm)

Luke: +2 def and res

Malissa: + friendship

Linde: +2 def and res (very appropriate for this moment, and very useful for the upcoming chapter!)

Swapped some shards around:

MU: Scorpio

Nabarl: Leo

Barst: Saggitarius

Feena: Cancer

On to the chapter. I like the nice sunset effect on the terrain here. And dispite what you might think, this is not exactly the same map from SD. For one, the Draco reinforcement fort is gone now, and there's now an arena.

And... LOVE THEME!!! Sorry, this remix is just amazing. Nearly made me cry the first time I listened to it.

One of the thieves here has a Master Seal Got quite a few now.

Oh, and Barst now one shots Mages with a Hand Axe. Really impressed with him.

A few turns into the chapter, Jagen warns you that Astram's heroes are getting close. They don't arrive for another 3 turns after this line, though.

Minerva joins with a Dragonpike now, as well as the Hauteclere and Virgo shard. That Dragonpike will certainly come in handy later...

Oh, and the boss drops another Master Seal

The end chapter dialogue more focuses on MU now, with Marth saying they have to help Merric, and MU mentioning befriending him in the prologue.

Chapter 10:

A pretty simple and easy chapter, but I got some interesting convos before it.

Nabarl and MU 1:

MU: You're the Scarlet Swordsman Nabarl...

Nabarl: ...

MU: W..wait. I need to talk to you. Marth's orders are...

Nabarl: ...what?

MU: In the upcoming fight, we are to move out togeather.

Nabarl: Why you?

MU: I don't understand Marth's reasoning but,

Maybe it's because you often fight alone...

I believe acting togeather with another benefits the army as a whole.

MU: Sir Nabarl, you were a hero of the last war.

It would be an honour to fight with you. I humbly request you allow me.

Hmm... Nabarl's certainly a man of few words, although this may chance in later conversations. I wonder if they'll reference that scene from the anime later, (he calls himself a murderer or something, and seems to have recurring nightmares about some girl...) or not. But they did explore Ogma's past in detail, so why not his...

Now, in contrast...

Feena and MU 1:

Feena: Oh, what are you doing all alone?

MU: Training.

Feena: Hmm... you're really just training?

MU: I do it to become strong.

Feena: Right... Well, you aren't bad looking, pretty refined features.

But, like Nabarl, your fashion sense could use some work.

Hey, hey, look, look. Aren't my fluttering clothes so cute?

If you don't wear great clothes like me, you'll be unpopular with girls, right?

MU: I'd be more popular if I trained.

You know, I think you're figure's a bit...

Feena: My figure? Why? I'm cute, right?

MU: You expose a lot of skin, and look a bit too thin.

Feena: Exposed skin? Oh, have you been staring at that, pervert! [half-closed eyes]

MU: No, no, it's not like that at all. I just think it's simply unfit for battle...

Feena: Aww, you're shy? That's so cute...

MU: I don't get this, I' going.

Feena: Hey, hey, waiiiit!

This one was a lot of fun to translate. Feena uses a lot of 'genki girl' language. On another note, it seems that part of this conversation was shown in an early screenshot of this game, leading some people to believe Feena would be recuitably in the prologue.

And now...

Nabarl and Feena 1:

Feena: Heeey, Nabarl! Is there anything I can do for you?

Nabarl: No. I'm training, go away.

Feena: Hey, don't be so cruel... At least be a little more thoughtful in your responses.

I just wanted to repay you for saving my life.

Nabarl: No need to thank me.

Feena: Nabarl, would you like to see one of my dances? You'll feel very energetic.

Nabarl: I'll pass.

Feena: Well... well...

I like that sword... how about that? [is she confusing who's indebted to who here?]

Nabarl: ......

Feena: I'm joking of course! Don't take it like that...

I just wanted you to be concerned.

So, do you have any real requests of me?

Nabarl: Alright, I do have one request.

Feena: It's about time! What? What?

Nabarl: Stop bothering be.

Feena: Humph!

[note: now, there's actually two ways you can take the last two lines, and I'm not sure which is implied, or more in-character. The other way is that he tells her to turn around, and then hits her. Her last line could be taken as 'ouch', although it may also simply be her getting fed up and leaving.]

Anyway, I'm interested to see what they're other convos will be like. lol genki girl/badass mercinary.

I also got MU and Milissa 3 and MU and Catria 3, although I don't really have intrest in translating them yet. I believe Catria's supports focus on her unrequited love for Marth, while Malissa seems to ask MU if he's interested in marriage in their 3rd convo.

Regular base convos:

About Elleren:

Wendell asks MU if he's met Merric, and then asks about MU's commrades within the 7th platoon. He says he has two pupils, Merric and Elleren, and tells MU not to fight him.

Clock bonuses:

Arran: +21 exp

Gordin: +2 str and mag

Draug: Found luck potion

Samuto: Found Quick Lance (basically Brave Lance lite, but still pretty useful)

Ok, guess what music plays for Merric and Elleren's dialogue It's really starting to get annoying now.

This chapter is a little different from the original, for several reasons. Firstly, in case anyone dosen't know (it was in the 'information topic') the chests on the sides of the map can now be reached without the thief staff. They contain the Silence (left) and Unlock (right) staves.

The two chests above Elleren, however, seem to require the thief staff. (or a Pirate with a chest key, heven't tried that, but it might work) They contain Psysic (left) and a large bullion (right). As for the thief staff, it's obtained from a thief in the preveous chapter. It's no longer Malissa-only.

The second difference, is that Elleren will no longer run towards you once you Rescue Merric, instead, he'll just stay on the throne. He'll still move to attack if anyone gets in his range.

By the way, I can confirm Elleren also has Matthis Syndrome. Wendell even has a special boss coversation with him (it's only one line, but still) Unfortunatly... Elleren critted him. Sigh, good thing the rest of the chapter is so easy.

Now, in the original, the enemies would not attack you once Elleren was recruited. I can't really test if that's true now, because it's now very hard to reach Elleren without killing all the enemies first. I presume, however, that this is no longer true.

MU mentions the sisters after the chapter, before getting the silver card. And it seems that they then recieve a call from Horace.

Amaterasu already did a good job of getting the general gyst of the Dice and Malice convo. Only thing I can add is that she mentions a specific amount of gold. (something like 540) Maybe they don't join if you have less than that? (VERY unlikely unless you really go crazy with the prep arena)

Will update with all of chapter 10x later, including some supports and all the Roro conversations.

There are female Clerics in Chapter 10, but I'm pretty sure that's the only time you see females as generic enemies (barring Pegasus Knights, naturally). From memory, enemy healers tend to be Bishops.

Edited by VincentASM