Fire Emblem 4 - Shin Patch

Shin

120 members have voted

1. 1. How difficult is it right now?

2. 2. Which new mugs need further work?

Hey all, I'm currently in the process of a bug searching playthrough. So far the worst I've found are missing animations and weapons enemies can't use, although I was forced to bench Beowulf in chapter 5 as I only got him to level 14. ArdenxFury and ClaudexEdain are going to be funny.

Dragonslayer, all you need to do is apply the IPS in the first post to a clean ROM. If you're having trouble, a fresh download of either might help.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more balancing tips:

You need to do something about Celice's speed. Early on it was great, but now it sorely lags behind. Most other characters break 20 easy(Minus Oifaye), but he has trouble. It makes it hard for him to have literally any offense. Maybe during promo gains give him a nice healthy boost to speed in case of screw-age or something. Honestly, it really is bad.

Also, give Dancer's a promotion. Seriously. Leen has been WTF broken at times in my play through, and her caps don't suck. C swords hurt her.

lolleen.png

Seriously. Her skills are: Pursuit, Continue, Prayer, and Dark Sword. For a non fighting unit that's pretty haxy. Azel is her father BTW. I've almost never touched the Thief sword or Iron sword.

Another note, you really don't need to give promoted classes that extra weapon. In most cases anyway. Ska's axes slow down the emulation when he crits, and most other classes I don't even bother. There's not enough good weapons to go around. I could load everyone one up on Iron, but since enemies are generally no longer LOL, it's would do pitiful damage. Otherwise awesome stuff.

Also, I just remembered, Faval is seriously the weakest link in my party. Ichival is super expensive and no longer makes him insta-destroy, and if you don't give him any skills, he will not perform well at all. I suggest maybe giving Briggid something.

Edited by IntegerZero

You would need a fresh unhacked FE4 ROM, then apply the patch.

That's an impressive Leen, although I'd imagine a well placed Hero Lance wouldn't be fun. I was originally considering a non-dancing optional promotion, she'd be a little too potent if she could hold her own and dance. Her magic, speed and magic defense caps have been boosted, but her defense is pretty poor. There are a few too many low level weapons, that may not allow the promoted classes to use them to do as well as they could. Oddly enough, there seem to be 5 Iron blades, 4 Iron lances and 2 Iron axes. A few of these could probably receive an "upgrade". There are actually a few situations where they come in handy, Midale appreciated the Steel Axe during Chapter 4 and it means a well trained Fin won't leave Delmud weaponless.

With Celice, if we upped the promotion gains (via raising the Lord Knight's base speed), it'd result in a faster Sigurd. Of course, it's easily countered by lowering his base speed. The Lord Knight's caps aren't very good, Cuan and Eltosian seemed to get a better deal.

Faval's admittedly no longer the killing machine he once was, Briggid hasn't been touched. We've got a few choices; a skill, growth increases or a buff for Ichieval.

Give him a skill. His problem is his durability, not his offense. Silver + Ichival will usually suffice for most of the game. Hero Bow just in case as well if Lester isn't going insane with it. He usually is 2-3HKO, but with the large amount of enemies with crit (Which is his problem.), he quickly dies. I'd suggest Awareness. It would give another crit immune unit, because face it, most bosses can crit now and that's what makes them tough. With all the Critical units running around you're only guaranteed Julia, Celice, and Lackche and Ska if you pair Ayra. And whoever gets paired with Alex. This isn't counting sub kids. That's 6 units tops. 4 normally. (Face it, Alex rarely gets paired.)

Also, I think that doing that minor tweak for Sigurd/Celice would be best. It would allow Sigurd to still dominate, but give Celice a better mid to late game. Sigurd always dominates, and Celice's early game is rock solid, as well as endgame. It's the middle where he falls behind. That's a problem due to he is your best boss killer due to Awareness. You've made that skill crucial, I swear.

Also, Leen's promotion should be nothing more than a weapon boost I would of thought. And some skill, mostly for Dark Sword and to help with some ACC issues. Nothing more. Also she laugh's at Hero Lance's thanks to prayer. The first strike almost always puts her in prayer ranger and her AVD sky rockets. Magic enemies are ever funnier. She's immune to staves in Endgame.

1.6 is up, it has a few minor changes and fixes. Celice will get a rather pleasant boost in speed upon promotion, I've had a few Celices with 15 speed at level 30 which was horribly unlucky. The playthrough I'm doing now's produced one with around 20 at promotion, which isn't bad.

ClaudexEdain's produced a pretty horrible Lester, but at least he has pursuit now. ArdenxFury's created a monster. Sety with defense rivalling his skill and magic.

Alec's actually not too bad for pairings now. His growths now mean he can actually produce reasonable kids in most pairings; although he's not really the best for anyone. He doesn't do too badly fathering mages, despite not providing as much magic as the 3 magical fathers. AlecxFury was pretty good, archers didn't scare Fee at all. AlecxAira is still a waste though ^^.

I've given Ichieval a minor defense buff for now. Barons and Dragon Knights are the ones who tend to have critical, the latter being a joke for Faval.

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed a few strange things with the latest patch (I'm up to chaper 1):

-Dew has canto for whatever reason

-Brigands with "Berserk Axes" will not attack Ardan, even with more than 0 hit. Fighters attack normally.

-The changelist says Midir gained a lot of luck to his base, but it remains at 2.

Other than that, everything seems to work swimmingly.

-Dew has canto for whatever reason

Shin gave thieves canto so that they can be of more use. It was intentional. Patty and her sub have it as well. Trust me, it makes using them significantly easier.

That's good to hear!

Arden has pretty high defense, I'm not sure if the AI are programmed to attack someone if they'll deal one damage. I'm not sure what's up with Midale, I may need to retweak that. Currently, I'm fairly happy with balance. Holyn and Beowulf might need a little something but generally nobody's a total failure in the first gen.

I forgot Hannibal so I'll probably give him Astra next time. I'll also try something with the subs. A few class changes could prove fun.

It's not that bad. It's like HHM for FE4. Just some patience. Mind you, Noish is officially Ayra's best husband. Sorry Lumi, but Continue, Critical, Charge, Pursuit, Nihil, and Meteor is ridiculous. gee_wiz_emoticon.gif Ska shots everything. Ayra does too. cool.gif

Remember my playthrough? I looked at NoishxAyra and wondered why the hell we consider Lex and Holyn as her best suitor.

Remember my playthrough? I looked at NoishxAyra and wondered why the hell we consider Lex and Holyn as her best suitor.

Well, Lex offers her kids WTF Defense for the first part of gen 2, along with solid stats all around, while Holyn provides better endgame gen 2 units, and guarantee good swords for Ska.

Also, both parents are loads easier to pair. Especially if you want that Hero Sword. You practically have to glue Noish and Ayra together for a while. Even more so if you're getting the Hero Sword. The timing can be difficult if you're not careful. That and Noish needs to promote to give Ska goods swords.

Hannibal really doesn't need anything. His job is to protect your castle while you're army face rapes and he does that just fine.

Noticed a glitch with Ethlin, when I was staff abusing, had her buy the warp staff to take advantage of her shiny new rank b staves and it glitched when she used it, the animation for the staff never played and the screen for the animation never closed. I reloaded and tried again with map animations and it worked fine perfectly. In the end I just sold it back to Aideen as I was planing to do in the first place.

Nice to see you here, lava! That was an animation bork my end. I forgot to set the animations for the female paladin to female.

Some interesting changes for the subs;

Asaello will go Hunter -> Warrior (Don't worry, he keeps pursuit)

Hawk's a Dark Mage ---> Dark Bishop (with some pretty decent caps)

Daisy becoming a prepromote

Linda promoting to Sage

Femina coming as a Dragon Knight ---> Dragon Master.

Janne promoting to a Master Knight!

There's also been a few additional skills and growths. The subs do still have flaws though, although they're not quite as lame as they used to be. Expect a couple of bug fixes too, I'll try and get it up over the weekend.

Hey I'm having problems downloading this, idk why but my iPod doesn't like 2shared :facepalm: if you could upload to mediafire or something like that I would appreciate that, if you don't feel like it don't worry about it

• 2 weeks later...

Possible Glitch

Beowulf got hit with a berserk staff in chapter 4, I was rather terrorfied as he was using the slayer sword, but I was quite surprised when not only could I still control him but he did not attack on the enemy round. He simply let me make him go to Aideen and she healed him with the restore staff. Considering this is the berserk staff I'm sure that wasn't supposed to happen.

The Berserk staff doesn't seem to work on playable characters. I'll have to replace that with something nasty ^^. Sorry for the delay guys, I have a driving test coming up. I'll do my best to find some time for this.

Oh quick question, when did you drop Fury's minor Blaggi? I was quite looking forward to having a flying libro user but when I promoted her I realized that she didn't have it in the latest version.

XD also I was wondering about the dark tome in the shop, then I promoted Azel XD XD XD thank you it's freaking sweet XD He's got that dark tome and Volcannon and it's AWESOME XD Also Alec kicks ass with the thunder sword and his 15 magic, paired him with Sylvia this time just to test out his new magic stat, going to switch the sword to Sylvia so Leen can inherit it and see how it goes.

Edited by iavasechui

I was actually going to swap Blaggi for B rank staves, although it looks like I forgot again. The main reason I dropped it was because of Sety, auto A rank staves didn't seem fair. Alec's become pretty interesting. I've tried him with Tiltyu, Fury and Sylvia, all producing reasonably decent children. Of course the mages would have given their kids more magic and better weapon ranks but they were pretty good. Especially a Fee with Awareness.

Holyn's getting Duel, most of his pairings have become lackluster with the monster that is Noish.

Edited by Dokutayuu

Will I be able to use the same save? Or do I have to start over to see the changes? I just got to chapter 5 on the previous patch.

EDIT: Well I copied and renamed my save file for the previous patch and it indeed worked, so disregard this.

Edited by iavasechui

• 3 weeks later...

Barons have a set palette, meaning they all appear red. Don't worry, with my "toying" copy, I've set it to the same as Generals. It works pretty well, Alec and Noish had green and red capes when I tested them as barons.

An interesting mini-patch I found on the boards actually lets any weapon activate sword skills (I'm sure everyone else has already found it :P). Whilst it doesn't fix inheritance, it means that Skasaha can actually use axes (the silver axe has a nasty 24mt) and a Holyn!Patty can do some nasty stuff with the Killer Bow. There's always the subs too, a mage with a sword skill could be interesting.

Edited by Dokutayuu

Barons have a set palette, meaning they all appear red. Don't worry, with my "toying" copy, I've set it to the same as Generals. It works pretty well, Alec and Noish had green and red capes when I tested them as barons.

An interesting mini-patch I found on the boards actually lets any weapon activate sword skills (I'm sure everyone else has already found it :P). Whilst it doesn't fix inheritance, it means that Skasaha can actually use axes (the silver axe has a nasty 24mt) and a Holyn!Patty can do some nasty stuff with the Killer Bow. There's always the subs too, a mage with a sword skill could be interesting.

o0 where be this patch?