Fire Emblem 4 - Shin Patch

Shin

120 members have voted

1. 1. How difficult is it right now?

2. 2. Which new mugs need further work?

Sigurd used to be able to ORKO everything in the prologue with relative ease, Sigurd's speed growth hasn't been touched, I'm afraid you've been horribly unlucky.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zsnes doesn't seem to be able to run the game. I picked up a japanese rom and put the Shin patch on it but it didn't work. I've tried redoing it multiple times, but with the same rom, to no avail. Should I try a different rom from a different site? Or is there something else I could try?

• 3 weeks later...

Ensure you're using a ROM with a header, trying downloading it from another source and trying again.

So after about a month of putting it off I finally tried it and I think my problem was either that I tried applying the English patch along with the Shin patch and didn't try this time, or because I did find and try another rom. But in any case the patch works perfectly! (The patch totally works, but I still have to press Esc every minute otherwise when I try to leave, it freezes, and that's just an emulator problem, so I'll have to get used to saving/savestating.)

Edited by Fargo294

Good to hear you can play it!

Due to the death of my Windows, I've actually lost all the mugs I made, which is somewhat annoying! I'm also rather bogged down with work, but I'm going to attempt to have the final chapter snazzed up by the end of the month. After that, it's on to cosmetic changes!

I just got this today, really looking forward to trying it out! Although, what is Noish's new skill? It doesn't seem to have a description.

Darkness Sword: An unused asset from the original game that gives the owner the chance to multiply damage by 1, 2, or 3 or reduce damage taken by 20. Dew also gets an unused skill called Holy Sword that gives the owner the chance to deal 20 more damage or reduce damage taken by 20.

Darkness Sword: An unused asset from the original game that gives the owner the chance to multiply damage by 1, 2, or 3 or reduce damage taken by 20. Dew also gets an unused skill called Holy Sword that gives the owner the chance to deal 20 more damage or reduce damage taken by 20.

When you say reduce damage taken, what do you mean?

Also how hard is this patch compared to some other regular games in the series?

When you say reduce damage taken, what do you mean?

Also how hard is this patch compared to some other regular games in the series?

If you'd take 25 damage from an enemy, and Darkness Sword activates, you would take 5 damage instead. From what I've seen, the enemies seem to be slightly stronger than the original version(though it's been a while since I played the first game) to level the playing field since more characters are usable.

So, now that I'm in, I have a few questions. I read in an earlier post that Jamke has pursuit now, does that mean class skills get passed down, or is Pursuit separated from the Archer class? Does Holy blood operate any differently? And have growths changed? And does Leif have pursuit or do I have to give him a pursuit ring?

Edited by Fargo294

Jamka now has it as a personal skill rather than a class skill, growths have generally been altered, I'm in the process of making a changelog. Holy blood is essentially the same, with a few minor growth tweaks and a reversal of Tiltyu's kids inheritance.

Jamka now has it as a personal skill rather than a class skill, growths have generally been altered, I'm in the process of making a changelog. Holy blood is essentially the same, with a few minor growth tweaks and a reversal of Tiltyu's kids inheritance.

full reversal? stats/blood/equipment? Or Briggid reversal, with just blood and equipment inverted?

So I thought it would be nice to share my pairings, especially since there's a bit of a story at the end:

Lex/Ayra: because I can't get out of my headcanons I found out Male mercenaries could use axes, so it's nice to know both of her kids will be even more overpowered.

Midir/Adean: Read above crossed out statement

Dew/Lachesis: Since Delmud and Nanna automatically come with pursuit, Hell yeah!

Lewyn/Fury:

Azel/Tiltyu:

Claude/Sylvia: ^^ I just couldn't be inspired to try new things

Ardan/Briggid: This is the one with the story. I originally intended Jamke/Briggid but I forgot that keeping them on opposite sides of the map prevents that from happening. So in chapter 5, I somehow find that Noish and Briggid got married behind my back. I overreacted, as I usually do, and went back to an earlier save and glued Jamke and Briggid next to each other, and then Ardan, of all people, gets hitched with Briggid. I realized any future pursuits would be futile and dealt with it by giving Ardan the Killer Bow and bought Jamke a shiny new Silver Bow. Alas, I was not able to fix Jamke's broken heart. I'm glad this patch made Ardan good so that I was totally okay with the outcome.

Dew/Lachesis: Since Delmud and Nanna automatically come with pursuit, Hell yeah!

Lachesis has it as a class skill, I think you're in for a nasty surprise!

Lachesis has it as a class skill, I think you're in for a nasty surprise!

... Frick. Well, I know who's getting the pursuit ring now. At least he can deal some good hits at this point. Too bad for Johan/Johalvier, Continue and Elite are game changers and I can't decide now...

Not to double post, but there seem to be some graphical errors when the thief uses the bow. I know that the sprite is supposed to be changed to an archer, but when Patty shoots her bow, the screen doesn't move over to the enemy and doesn't take damage, but it is shown they take damage. The same thing happened when Burian threw his Javelin, it never reached his attacker but it showed him taking damage right afterwards.

I stopped being a baby and got past that part.

Edited by Fargo294

Not to double post, but there seem to be some graphical errors when the thief uses the bow. I know that the sprite is supposed to be changed to an archer, but when Patty shoots her bow, the screen doesn't move over to the enemy and doesn't take damage, but it is shown they take damage. The same thing happened when Burian threw his Javelin, it never reached his attacker but it showed him taking damage right afterwards.

Aaaand Chapter 6 finally kicks me in the groin and beats me while I'm down with impossible to dodge druids. That pretty much ruins the game for me, sad to say.

battle animation errors, the javelin one is due to not making a proper 'throwing lance' animation

the thief's bow one is because only certain class numbers are coded somewhere to be able to fire arrows (only the classes that normally shoot arrows)

to shin, I suggest switching the thief data with another that have them 'enabled' whom also shoot arrows at person-level height normally, and doesn't need to use bows or isn't as important (hunters, bow armors, barons, emperors perhaps)

as a side note, bow soldiers do not have bows enabled

Edited by Lamia

Graphical errors are mentioned in the OP. I'm currently looking into it, Lorena's solution would be a quick fix if I were not interested in using the other classes.

• 1 month later...

I just installed 1.93 and this is all it shows for Noish and Alec's skills:

I'm pretty sure that darkness sword has a placeholder description at preasent (as if it even had a descriptoin in the japanese, it was left untranslated).

Edited by sirmola