Pokemon White no EXP playthrough log

dondon151

As I'm sure you all know, one of the AP mechanics for Pokemon Black and White is that your Pokemon don't gain EXP. I'm well aware that there's already a fix for that out already, but a couple of us in #feto were suggesting that I try out the game with the AP in place. I'll try to progress as far as I can before either the caliber of the opponents or the frequency of the game freezes prevents me from wanting to go any further.

Are you a boy or girl? (girl)

What's your name? (dondon, or ドンドン)

Kanoko Town (カノコタウン)

I start off here, in my room, with a friend, Cheren (チェレン), and I'm waiting for another friend, Beru (ベル). Beru arrives and there's some discussion about a present on the table - this present contains the 3 starter Pokemon. At their urging, I choose my Pokemon first, then Beru chooses her Pokemon, and lastly, Cheren takes the last one. Since the starter Pokemon will be almost immediately outclassed, it doesn't really matter which one I pick, so I pick Tsutaaja (ツタージャ) because it looks cool. Beru challenges me to a battle with Mijumaru (ミジュマル). After I win, it turns out that the battle trashed my room, as evident by the dust clouds and the displaced furniture. Cheren then challenges me to a battle with Pokabu (ポカブ). Once the battling is over, Cheren and Beru leave. Mom gives me some cool gadget downstairs. Cheren is blocking the door to Prof. Araragi's (アララギ博士) lab, and he won't move unless I visit Beru's house, where she's having an argument with her father. Once that is done, I enter Araragi's lab with Cheren and Beru, and Araragi gives us our Pokedexes and tells the three of us to follow her out to Route 1 where she will demonstrate how to catch a wild Pokemon.

Route 1 (1番道路)

Not a whole lot happens here. The wild Pokemon are low leveled and there are no opponents. I do get a free Potion from an NPC. Araragi also gives me the standard 5 Poke Balls after the catch demonstration.

Karakusa Town (カラクサタウン)

Araragi is waiting outside of a Pokemon Center, and she gives me a tour of its functions - most notably, the healing counter, the PC, and the shop. Once I exit, I notice a performance of sorts in town, which gathers a crowd of spectators. The performers are strangely dressed and are probably members of the antagonist team. They look stupid like always. After the crowd dissipates, I'm challenged by a trainer with a level 7 Choroneko (チョロネコ), whose name I don't remember.

Route 2 (2番道路)

Route 2 does have a few trainers scattered about, with Pokemon in the level 7 range. Needless to say, this was already getting a bit tough for Tsutaaja to handle alone (I had to chug down a Potion after every battle, and with each battle yielding less than $150, this was a net loss), so I waded through the grass until I found a level 6 Minezumi (ミネズミ). This guy did 13/19 HP damage to Tsutaaja on his first attack, and I had to resort through tossing Poke Balls when he was at ~75% HP. Luckily, he didn't attack after that and I caught him on my third Poke Ball. Before leaving the route, Beru challenges me to another battle with a level 8 Yooterii (ヨーテリー) (I think) and a level 8 Mijumaru.

Sanyou City (サンヨウシティ)

This city has the first gym, but there is someone standing in front of it telling you that the gym leader is at the trainer's school. I didn't pay attention to this at first, so I took the exit to the east to the next area.

Yume no Atochi (夢の跡地)

There are a few trainers here. One of them, notably, had 3 level 8 Pokemon, which prompted me to go back and catch a level 7 Minezumi to help out. I'm blocked from progressing by a tree, but someone at the end of the route gives me a level 10 Hiyappu (ヒヤップ). I then return to Sanyou City.

Sanyou City (サンヨウシティ)

From here, I actually read carefully what the man blocking the gym says and make my way back to the trainer's school. There, I find Cheren in front of the blackboard, who challenges me to a battle (I don't remember what Pokemon he had or their levels). Somewhere along the line I manage to obtain a Great Ball, a Dusk Ball, a Fresh Water, and 3 Oran Berries. Upon defeating Cheren, the gym leader will return to the gym's entrance and will go in after being talked to. The gym has 2 trainers. Because I picked Tsutaaja as my starter, the gym leader that I face has a level 12 Yooterii and a level 14 Boappu (ボアップ). This was actually a very tough battle, as pretty much the only chance that I had against Yooterii was that he wouldn't use his special move, Cheer Up (ふるいたてる), which increases Atk and SpA 1 level and thus allows him to borderline 2HKO Hiyappu. Boappu is a pushover, with ineffective attacks and a weakness to Hiyappu (Boappu is a fire type; Hiyappu is a water type). After about 12 tries I managed to get the first badge, in addition to TM83, which teaches Cheer Up. The strategy was fairly simple - against Yooterii, give Hiyappu an Oran Berry, use Potions whenever necessary to restore HP, and sacrifice 2 of Minezumi and Tsutaaja to get a free full HP heal with Fresh Water, and spam Water Gun against both Yooterii and Boappu.

Upon exiting the gym, a strange woman drags me to her house and give me HM01, Cut.

Pokemon in party:

Pokemon      Lv. Nature   HP  Atk Def SpA SpD Spe
Tsutaaja       5 Mild      19  10   9  11  11  11
Minezumi       6 Brave     21  14   9   9   9   9
Minezumi       7 Naive     23  12  12  10  10  13
Hiyappu       10 Quiet     30  16  15  19  14  16

If you find any mistakes with opponent Pokemon, please tell me! I don't have the best memory.

Edited by dondon151

Yeah, when I first saw this thread I was going to post "Yeah, good luck beating the first gym leader" seeing as I tried with the no-EXP penalty as well. Then I read that little line about Hiyappu and I was like "....never mind"

I taught HM01 (Cut) to Tsutaaja. The strange woman's name is Makomo (マコモ), so I will refer to her as that from now on.

Yume no Atochi (夢の跡地)

With Cut in hand, I'm able to remove the obstructive sapling in this map. Beru follows after me, but does not want to battle. Upon walking past an opening in a wall, I see Munna (ムンナ), and am immediately accosted by 2 members of Team Plasma (プラズマ団). After defeating both of them (first has a level 10 Minezumi; second has a level 10 Choroneko), 3 apparitions of who seems to be their leader, Geechisu (ゲーチス) appear and convince the grunts to leave. Afterwards, Mushaana (ムシャーナ) appears and it and Munna leave the screen. I head over to the left, and I notice that there is a patch of grass that's wiggling. I guess correctly that this is a fixed wild encounter, yielding a wild Tabunne (タブンネ) between levels 8 and 11 each time. Judging by its stats on Serebii, I'm fairly impressed by its bulk this early in the game, but I'm also a little disappointed that its only damaging attack is the rather unreliable Doubleslap. Whatever the case, I immediately teach it TM86 (Cheer Up) and delete Helping Hand. The rest of Yume no Atochi contains some token items, and there is a section to the east that's blocked off with a cone. Naturally, I head back to Sanyou City, but in order to get past the gatekeeper in the west, I have to stop by Makomo's house and get the C-GEAR.

Route 3 (3番道路)

A daycare this early in the game is surprising, to say the least. The daycare still gives EXP to Pokemon - I tested this out by depositing Tsutaaja and then running around outside before withdrawing him at level 7. Now, this obviously doesn't solve all of the problems inherent in not gaining EXP from Pokemon battles, because my Pokemon still won't gain any EVs and can't evolve by level up in the daycare. That said, to prevent possible abuse, I'm going to prohibit use of the daycare altogether. Not a whole lot happens in the first half of the route, aside from my first double battle against 2 Choronekos. Easy fight - Tabunne is 11HKO'd by their Scratch and OHKOs on average with +1 Atk and Doubleslap.

About midway through, Cheren stops me and challenges me to a battle. He leads with a level 14 Pokabu, quickly dispatched by Hiyappu (6HKO'd by Ember, 3HKOs with Water Gun). His second Pokemon is a level 12 Choroneko, which frustratingly kept using Growl to nullify my Atk boost from Cheer Up, but also couldn't really muster any sort of offense, so it was just a matter of time before Tabunne beat it down with Doubleslap. After the battle, a couple of Plasma grunts run past, with Beru and a little girl in pursuit. From what I can tell, they've stolen the girl's Pokemon... and Cheren impulsively gives chase. Meaning that I should follow him. He waits at the entrance of a cave at the west end of the route and will go in upon being spoken to.

Chikasuimyaku no Ana (地下水脈の穴)

Immediately inside is Cheren confronting 2 Plasma grunts. Only one of them challenges me to a battle; he has a level 12 Minezumi. Another pair of Plasma grunts reinforce after the battle; they challenge me to a partner battle with Cheren. Both of them have level 12 Minezumis. I take advantage of Growl's double targeting effect and let Pokabu do most of the work. Prior to exiting the cave, I grab TM46 (Thief) before heading back on my way through Route 3. The entire time that I was in the cave, I did not see a single wild Pokemon, but their levels are a bit too low here for them to be useful, anyway.

Route 3 (3番道路)

Beru and the girl stop me before I can take the southern path, showing their gratitude and giving me a Heal Ball. Cheren stops me (again?) and remarks that sometimes in the dark grass, you'll encounter random double battles against wild Pokemon.

Shippou City (シッポウシティ)

Cheren is there waiting by the gatehouse, and immediately asks me to follow him... then gives me 3 Chesto Berries. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do here, so I just exit near the north side.

Yaguruma no Mori (ヤグルマの森)

I was half expecting some battles, but there are none in the first part. I do find a hidden Ether at the end of a path, and I navigate through the south part of this map to find, among other things, a Net Ball and a TinyMushroom. In the grass here I catch a level 15 Otamaro (オタマロ), a level 14 Dakkoraa (ダッコラー), and a level 15 Nageki (ナゲキ). The actual forest area to the west of this map is blocked by a line of Plasma grunts, so I head back to Shippou City.

Shippou City (シッポウシティ)

This time, I head straight for the gym. N bumps into me on his way out... He has a level 13 Mamepato (マメパト), level 13 Otamaro, and a level 13 Dakkoraa. My own Otomaro just powered through all of the with Bubblebeam. Inside the gym, it appears that there's a museum of some sort on the first floor. I meet some guy who shows around the fossils, then I go up the stairs to the actual gym. The gym's scrub trainers were no match for Dakkoraa and Nageki. I would have preferred having Dageki instead for an actual consistent SE attack, but I couldn't be assed to spend the time to find one.

Aloe has a level 18 Haaderia (ハーデリア) and a level 20 Miruhoggu (ミルホッグ). Against Haaderia, Dakkoraa's Low Kick (with -1 Atk) is roughly a 5HKO, while Haaderia's Take Down does 39/46 HP damage. I use Leer on the first turn and stall against Take Down's recoil (or a miss), then use Low Kick whenever I have a free attack. If Haaderia uses Leer to put Dakkoraa in OHKO position, I switch out to other Pokemon to sponge the incoming attack and send out Dakkoraa again. Against Miruhoggu, I first make sure that Dakkoraa is at full HP by switching in a sacrifice. I also gave Dakkoraa and Nageki Chesto Berries beforehand to at least get a free attack each against a faster Hypnosis. For whatever reason, Miruhoggu preferred instead to just attack Dakkoraa (allowing me to get 2 Low Kicks in with a sacrifice) and 1 of his 2 Hypnosis attempts missed against Nageki, allowing me to get in 2 Seismic Tosses for the KO. Aloe had already used both of her Super Potions on Haaderia and did not heal Miruhoggu.

Aloe gives me TM67 (Get Even, かたきうち), a 70 BP, 100 hit, 5 PP Normal type attack that increases in power if your ally was KO'd the previous turn. Upon completing her post battle speech, a bespectacled man runs in with some alert regarding Team Plasma, and Aloe rushes out. Some Plasma grunts steal the dragon skull from the large skeleton in the center of the museum. I just want to make my way to the Pokemon Center and move on... but outside I am stopped once again by Aloe, Aati (the Hiun City gym leader), Beru, and Cheren.

Tsutaaja       5 Mild      19  10   9  11  11  11
Hiyappu       10 Quiet     30  16  15  19  14  16
Tabunne       11 Mild      44  21  23  22  24  17
Otamaro       15 Gentle    43  21  18  20  23  28
Dokkoraa      14 Quirky    46  29  20  12  16  15
Nageki        15 Hasty     63  36  28  18  34  20

I'm keeping Tsutaaja around for cool points.

Edited by dondon151

Nageki. Is there seriously a Pokemon called Nageki?!

What the hell is this Fighting Pokemon doing with a name that translates to "weeping tree"?

This is about as weird as this run. Keep it up!

Yaguruma no Mori (ヤグルマの森)

The Plasma grunts are gone! The trainer with a level 17 Munna that knows Moonlight is a huge pain in the ass, so I go down the west path instead of the north one. The double battle here has me up against 2 level 16 Kurumirus (クルミル), which were also pains in the ass (but less so than Munna). Along the path, I'm stopped by a Plasma grunt with a level 16 Meguroko (メグロコ), quickly dispatched by Otamaro. The same generally goes for the rest of the Plasma grunts. I find a Big Root and catch a level 15 Kurumiru and a level 14 Churine (チュリネ). The latter will hopefully be useful due to Sleep Powder. With Kurumiru in tow, the Munna trainer is no longer a problem, but Aati turns me back at the end of the route... likely because I need to defeat all of the Plasma grunts in the forest. Backtracking, I go to a point where there's a hollow log, but a hidden trainer ambushes me with a level 18 Yanappu (ヤナップ). This is also easily dispatched by Kurumiru, who is probably the best grass type counter in the game thus far. The trainer gives me some more Chesto Berries after the battle. I let myself get ambushed by a couple more of those Pokemon trainers (one has a level 18 Hiyappu, and the other has a level 18 Boappu (ボアップ)) and fight 2 more Plasma grunts. Defeating the last one gives me a stolen skull. After some exploration, I also find TM86 (Grass Knot).

Sky Arrow Bridge (スカイアローブリッジ)

Weird camera angles.

Hiun City (ヒウンシティ)

I first discover here that the area immediately south of the east entrance offers me a free evolution stone for the monkey of your choice. It's a shame that there are no other Pokemon in this game that evolve through a Leaf, Fire, or Water Stone, because a level 10 evolved monkey is not going to help me at this point in the game. I run all the way to the west side and go north to an area with a fountain and some dancer guy. The dancer has a level 21 Yanappu, whom Kurumiru quickly destroyed. I completely ran past the gym, so I backtrack and am stopped by both Cheren and Aati upon attempting to enter. At the second dock from the west, I use Otamaro to defeat a dancer with a level 21 Boappu. In the second street from the left, a shady guy in black assults me and gives me TM70 (Flash). I also find the third dancer here, whose level 21 Hiyappu is met with a swift defeat by Churine. Upon defeating all 3 dancers, I go back to the fountain area and speak to the middle one for an Amulet Coin.

At the center dock, Beru, Aati, and Airisu (アイリス) engage in some conversation that I quickly skip through. Next, I head back to the fountain area and see Aati run south along the street to his gym. In the street on the left hand side, there's Aati confronting a group of Plasma grunts. The one that I battle has 2 level 17 Megurokos - at this point pretty much all of my Pokemon can destroy them with SE moves. I decide now that it would be a prudent to look for some new recruits, so I exit Hiun City through the north.

Route 4 (4番道路)

Some construction materials and a guy block the route to the north, but the west is still explorable. I catch a level 17 Darumakka (ダルマッカ), which should be incredibly helpful for the third gym. The end of the west section yields a TM41 (torment)... not very useful.

Hiun City (ヒウンシティ)

Once back in the city, I head over to the building that the Plasma grunts retreated into in order to complete the event that lets Aati return to the gym. As for the gym itself, Darumakka OHKO'd nearly every scrub trainer's Pokemon with Fire Fang - the only exception was an Ishizumai (イシズマイ), whom I had to switch to Otamaro for.

Aati himself was also a fairly easy battle. Darumakka 2HKOs his level 21 Hoiiga (ホイーガ) with Fire Fang and takes minimal damage in return. I switch to Otamaro against his level 21 Ishizumai to get off an SE Bubblebeam and then switch in Dokkoraa to chip away with Low Kick and do heavy damage with Bide after Aati uses his second Hyper Potion. Against Aati's level 23 Hahakomori (ハハコモリ), I sacrifice my own Kurumiru in order to restore Darumakka to full HP and get in a String Shot. Apparently Hahakomori's Bug Resistance (むしのていこう) doesn't even OHKO Kurumiru, even with STAB and SE. Also, it still outspeeds Darumakka even after -1 Spe, but it was only a matter of time before Darumakka landed a fatal Fire Fang. Aati gives me TM76 (Bug Resistance), a 30 BP, special Bug type move, upon defeat... which looks like a useless move.

Otamaro       15 Gentle    43  21  18  20  23  28
Dokkoraa      14 Quirky    46  29  20  12  16  15
Nageki        15 Hasty     63  36  28  18  34  20
Kurumiru      15 Adamant   43  27  26  15  25  17
Churine       15 Bold      40  13  23  29  20  15
Darumakka     17 Careful   53  39  22  10  24  22

Edited by dondon151

Route 4 (4番道路)

Beru stops me in the gatehouse on my way out of the city, and challenges me to a battle. Her first Pokemon, a level 18 Haaderia, is basically a redux of the second gym leader battle, with me relying on Take Down recoil to wear down its HP. Nageki falls to a Take Down crit, but Beru has used 2 Super Potions up to this point, and Darumakka manages to burn with a Fire Fang. Next is Beru's level 20 Futachimaru (フタチマル), who suffers a slow, sleepy death to Churine. Third up is her level 18 Munna, perfectly countered by Kurumiru (but not before being put to sleep by Yawn), and last up is her level 18 Boappu, met swiftly with Otamaro.

Cheren is also waiting just outside of the city, and he challenges me to a battle as well (why do these always come in pairs?). His first Pokemon is a level 20 Mamepato, who doesn't get a chance to do much of anything because Darumakka's Fire Fang burned it on the first attack. Darumakka stays in to fight Cheren's level 20 Yanappu, and OHKOs with a Fire Fang. Cheren's third Pokemon is a level 20 Reparudasu (レパルダス), whom Nageki wears down with Seismic Toss. Last is his level 22 Chaobuu (チャオブー), who was 3HKO'd with sandstorm damage even by Otamaro's Bubblebeam, and had a Sitrus Berry to boot, so it was a 4HKO (while Otamaro barely escaped a 2HKO with sandstorm by Nitro Charge). For whatever reason, Chaobuu kept using Defense Curl, which gave me a couple of free attacks. Darumakka finishes the KO with Uproar and sandstorm damage.

Where the route branches off to the east along an asphalt path, a building at a turn along the path has a worker that gives me TM28 (Dig). Further along the route, I enter even deeper into a desert.

Rizooto Desert (リゾートデザート)

I do a whole lot of exploring in this area, as there are a lot of items scattered about. In the northwest corner of this map, I find a Heart Scale.

I also find a hidden Stardust in the corner of a patch of bare ground surrounded on 3 sides by rock and 1 side by sand (in addition to a not so hidden one in a pit somewhere in this map). In the southwest corner of this map is TM39 (Rock Tomb) and a Fire Stone. I spend a bit of time here looking for some higher leveled wild Pokemon, also going into a small structure in the northwest corner of the map. I capture a level 22 Meguroko, a level 21 Desumasu (デスマス), a level 22 Ishizumai, and a level 20 Shinboraa (シンボラー). I also capture a level 16 Meguroko with Intimidate so I can Intimidate shuffle against tough opponents. At the north end of the map, I enter the small structure surrounded by weird blue helmets.

Kodai no Shiro (古代の城)

My purpose here is to obtain a fossil. I have to navigate around the one on the far left, though, which necessitates a trainer battle. An archeologist past the second quicksand pit offers me a choice between 2 fossils, and I choose the second one (which will revive into Aaken (アーケン)). A man at the end of the route does not let me pass, so my work here is done for the time being. Before I leave, I capture a level 20 Meguroko with Intimidate for more potential Intimidate shuffling.

Route 4 (4番道路)

Araragi and Cheren stop me in the north gatehouse and give me 10 Ultra Balls. I stop here and teach Dig and Rock Tomb to Meguroko and Dig to Ishizumai.

Raimon City (ライモンシティ)

Upon entering the city, I see 2 Plasma grunts harassing an old man. The old man turns to me for protection... which pits me against a Plasma grunt. He has a level 18 Miruhoggu (who is surprisingly slower than Meguroko) and a level 18 Yabukuron (ヤブクロン), both of whom are easily KO'd by Meguroko. In exchange, the old man gives me a Bicycle (woop!). Beru shows up and mentions something about a musical, then runs off. I follow Beru to the musical hall, meet the owner, and engage in some shenanigans that I can't be bothered to understand. Outside, Beru is arguing with her father until the gym leader, Kamitsure (カミツレ), appears and convinces him to leave. Unsure of what to do, I exit the city to the west to explore a little bit further.

Route 5 (5番道路)

I don't find much to do here - I try to avoid as many trainers as possible and collect the items, which doesn't really contain anything of note. I do encounter and capture a level 22 Reparudasu here, though.

Raimon City (ライモンシティ)

I try to walk into a large building east of the Pokemon Center and bump into a blue-haired girl with pigtails, who gives me a Vs. Recorder. I head to the east section of town and am stopped by N, who takes me on a ride in a ferris wheel (this is kind of creepy). He then challenges me to a battle once we exit. His first Pokemon is a level 22 Meguroko, whom I immediately Fake Out with Reparudasu and switch to Ishizumai to help finish off the KO. Next up is a level 22 Darumakka, which Ishizumai 2HKOs with Knock Down (うちおとす). N's third Pokemon is a level 22 Zuruggu (ズルッグ), whose typing is troublesome for my current team, hitting 5 members SE - I send in Desumasu and burn it, then stall with HP recovery and fire off Night Shades. Last is a level 22 Shinboraa, easily dispatched by Reparudasu's Fake Out and Pursuit attacks.

Conveniently, the gym is located in the same part of the map. The trainers here are super annoying (there are a bunch of Emongas (エモンガ) with Double Team, and Meguroko 3HKOs with Rock Tomb), but it helps that Meguroko has the Overconfident (じしんかじょう) ability and 2HKOs the switch-in. Enemy Shimamas are easily OHKO'd by Meguroko's Dig.

Despite being warned in advance, I did not find Kamitsure to be very tough. Her first Emonga used Volt Change (ボルトチェンジ) to her second Emonga against Desumasu, while Desumasu burned the switch-in. I immediately switch to Meguroko to prevent further Volt Changes and to restore Desumasu's HP. Meguroko and Emonga duke it out with Rock Tombs and Aerial Aces, and Kamitsure uses 2 Hyper Potions on Emonga before it faints. I switch Desumasu back in to combat her first Emonga, whom I immediately burn and then repeat the previous strategy on. For her last Pokemon, Zeburaika (ゼブライカ), I Intimidate shuffle 3 times with my other Megurokos and switch in the Meguroko with Dig for a 2HKO. Upon defeat, Kamitsure gives me TM72 (Volt Change).

Party Pokemon:
Meguroko      22 Docile    56  39  21  24  24  38
Desumasu      21 Adamant   53  24  44  27  36  20
Ishizumai     22 Bold      60  35  52  24  23  36
Reparudasu    22 Lonely    65  52  24  43  33  52
Meguroko      16 Naive     46  32  17  19  15  27
Meguroko      20 Relaxed   53  34  22  19  21  32

Other Pokemon:
Shinboraa     20 Naive     61  34  39  47  34  53

Edited by dondon151

Raimon City (ライモンシティ)

HM04 (Strength) is not exactly in a very easily discovered location... It's in the house above and to the left of the Pokemon Center - a guy in blue hair sitting at a table gives it to me. He mentions something about Route 16, so I teach the HM to Ishizumai. With it in tow, I leave the city to the east.

Route 16 (16番道路)

There is a large stone in the middle of this route that Ishizumai shoves into a pit. I grab TM66 (Payback), teach it to Reparudasu, grab a Charcoal (もくたん), and head back to Raimon City.

Raimon City (ライモンシティ)

Nothing to do here. I exit the town to the west.

Route 5 (5番道路)

Immediately as I exit the gatehouse into the route, Cheren follows and challenges me to a battle. Great. First up is a level 24 Reparudasu, whom I burn with Desumasu and chip away with Night Shades. Next is a level 24 Yanappu, whom I had a bit of trouble defeating - I sacrifice Reparudasu and KO with Ishizumai. Cheren's third Pokemon is a level 26 Chaobuu, tag teamed by Ishizumai and Shinboraa. I heal Ishizumai up to full HP and sacrifice Shinboraa to Hatooboo (ハトーボー) in order to heal Ishizumai up to full HP and chip away with Knock Downs.

After the battle, Kamitsure appears and leads Cheren and me to a guy with fiery hair, and we engage in a partner double battle against 2 kids, each with a level 26 Haaderia. Surprisingly, my Pokemon are fully healed when the battle begins. Desumasu burns both enemies while they annihilated Cheren's Reparudasu and Yanappu with Take Downs, but burn damage and recoil damage wore them down quickly along with Yanappu's Seed Bombs. Further west along the route, Kamitsure convinces someone to lower a drawbridge.

Hodomoe Drawbridge (ホドモエの跳ね橋)

Nothing to see here.

Hodomoe City (ホドモエシティ)

Not knowing what to do, I instinctively run as far west as possible. Cue an event involving Cheren talking to some burly looking guy. I make a beeline for the northwest and exit to Route 6.

Route 6 (6番道路)

The first Pokemon that I see on this route is a level 23 Kurumayu (クルマユ), whom I capture. I head all the way north until I find a cave blocked by a yellow colored spider web, then I notice that in the nearby patch of 2v2 grass, wild Pokemon levels seemed to much higher than usual... about 6 levels higher. I engage in a 2v2 with a wild level 29 Tamagetake (タマゲタケ) and level 28 Shikijika (シキジカ), and successfully capture the wild Shikijika (although the battle itself gave me a hard time). I would have liked to capture a lower leveled one for Leech Seed, but this will do regardless. I teach it Grass Knot and make my way back to Hodomoe City.

Hodomoe City (ホドモエシティ)

Still not sure what to do here, I explore to the south.

Reitou Container (冷凍コンテナ)

Slightly to the right of the bridge leading to this area, there is a narrow passageway between 2 containers where a worker gives me a Rugged Helmet (ゴツゴツメット). A narrow, grassed passageway south of that area has an Ether somewhere in the middle and a patch of 2v2 grass (again, with higher leveled Pokemon) with a Protein on the right side. Backtracking, I continue walking south to a bend in the road when Cheren shows up just as I cross the vertical axis of a guy in a helmet. At the end of the path of grass to the left is a Heart Scale. The building next to the path has an entrance near the worker.

Inside the actual container itself, the first patch of ice on the floor conceals TM55, Boiling Water (ねっとう). For the second patch of ice, I'm forced to go straight to the right and walk around to the bottom. When I approach the open container, Cheren catches up. We walk in to find a group of Plasma grunts surrounding an old guy. There are 4 of them that I have to battle; they are the 4 rightmost grunts. Left behind is a NeverMeltIce.

Hodomoe City (ホドモエシティ)

The gym is my target. The scrub trainers are easily dispatched by Kurumayu and Shikijika.

The gym leader, Yaakon (ヤーコン), succumbed to the same strategies as did previous gym leaders. I Intimidate shuffled twice against his Warubiru (ワルビル), then switched to Kurumayu. Kurumayu was the target of a Swagger, but the subsequent +2 atk boost allowed it to borderline OHKO with Bug Bite or Razor Leaf. As a result, Yaakon used both of his Hyper Potions on Warubiru. Next up was his Doryuuzu (ドリュウズ), who was met promptly with Desumasu's Will-o-Wisp and whittled down with Night Shades. Last was Gamagaru (ガマガル), who quickly succumbed to its 4x Grass weakness through Kurumayu's Razor Leaf. Upon finishing the battle... Yaakon does not give me TM78. So I leave.

Party Pokemon:
Meguroko      16 Naive     46  32  17  19  15  27
Meguroko      20 Relaxed   53  34  22  19  21  32
Kurumayu      23 Sassy     63  39  46  30  47  25
Shikijika     28 Naive     74  41  39  27  36  56

I'd swear you could have found Desumasu at higher levels, but probably I'm wrong, good luck with that anyway

Honestly, I would not be surprised if you people on serenes forest will be making a blazblue tournament without the drive button or something like that

:blink:

Edited by Red Fox of Fire fanboy

Hodomoe City (ホドモエシティ)

Prior to leaving town to the northwest, Beru appears out of nowhere and challenges me to a battle (well, not really unexpected...). I somehow forget to heal my Pokemon after defeating Yaakon, which makes this battle much more difficult than it should be.

Against her level 26 Haaderia, Meguroko leads with an Intimidate, allowing Shikijika to switch in on a weaker Take Down and 2HKO with Jump Kick. Beru's second Pokemon is a level 26 Baoppu, whom Meguroko 2HKOs with a combination Dig + Rock Tomb. Third up is a level 28 Futachimaru, who does little damage to Kurumayu with resisted attacks (although Shell Blade's def drops were a cause for concern) while Kurumayu 3HKOs back with Razor Leaf. Beru uses 2 Hyper Potions on Futachimaru; I'm forced to pivot to and sacrifice Meguroko for a free Intimidate and heal on Kurumayu. Fourth is a level 26 Mushaana, who is 4HKO'd by Meguroko's Assurance. I wanted to use Kurumayu here, but he was not in a good position now after that duel with Futachimaru. Successive Defense Curls made KOing even more difficult, but it had no damaging attacks.

After the battle, Beru gives me HM02, Fly. Finally! I teach the move immediately to Shinboraa. I decide to make a quick detour back to Raimon City to obtain something that I had forgotten beforehand.

Raimon City (ライモンシティ)

At sales counter of the Pokemon Center, I buy TM73, Thunder Wave. This is bound to come in handy; I teach it to Shinboraa.

Route 6 (6番道路)

Nothing much here - I run back to the spider web obstructing the cave, examine it, and notice Yaakon arriving to help me out. After his Warubiru breaks down the spider web, he gives me TM78, Level Ground (じならし).

Denkiseki no Douketsu (電気石の洞穴)

In the cave, I'm able to see N looking at an electric rock. Upon approaching, I'm suddenly ambushed by 2... ninjas? I mean, I didn't need 2 ninjas to escort me 5 paces to N's location. While looking for a way to progress, I move up to an electric stone blocking the path, triggering an event where Beru and Araragi appear to give me a Lucky Egg (totally useless). The floating electric rock can simply be pushed - no Strength needed. They are, however, attracted to the electric boulders, so I need to push them in a certain direction.

Partway through the cave, Beru and Araragi catch up and engage in another conversation. South of that, at the end of a bridge, I get ambushed by 3... ninjas? They tell me that Team Plasma is awaiting me in an area below where I'm currently standing. Just beyond the stairs leading downwards, there is an Iron at the end of the path.

On the lower floor, there is a corridor of Plasma grunts waiting north of the first area before the trainers arranged for a double battle. The third and fourth trainers in the sequence lead with Yabukuron, but Shikijika tore up all other opponent Pokemon.

After going downstairs to yet another lower floor, there is a fork in the path that leads to a Brightpowder to the east, and a Rare Candy to the south. I catch a level 24 Gantoru (ガントル) so I can trade it later on route 7 for a level 30 Emonga. It seems to be a dead end here, so I head back up and go up the stairs to the right this time. At another fork in the road, the west path goes back to where Beru and Araragi are waiting, the south path requires a battle with an Elite Trainer, and N is waiting along the east path, ready to battle.

N's first Pokemon is a level 28 Gantoru (ガントル). Its large weight and poor spdef made Shikijika's Grass Knot a near OHKO. Next is a level 28 Bachuru (バチュル). I sacrifice Meguroko to heal Ishizumai, who 3HKOs Bachura with Knock Down (but would also be 3HKO'd back if it weren't for its Bold nature). N's third Pokemon is a level 28 Tesshiido (テッシード). I don't have a Fire type attack available, so I switch in Desumasu, burn Tesshiido, and come out on top. Last is a level 28 Giaru (ギアル), tag teamed by Shikijika and Shinboraa - Shikijika didn't have the HP to survive a Gear Saucer (ギアソーサー), but 1 Jump Kick allowed Shinboraa to 2HKO with Psybeam. Cue cutscene, and I can finally get out of this cave!

Fukiyose City (フキヨセシティ)

When I attempt to go north of the Pokemon Center, a guy (whose name is also Araragi?) stops me and engages in a monologue. Following him is the gym leader, Fuuro (フウロ), who asks me to go to the Tower of Heaven (タワーオブヘブン). With no other options available, I exit the town to the northeast.

Route 7 (7番道路)

I enter the first house on the route to speak to the hiker guy to trade Gantoru for Emonga (nicknamed Tobimaru (トビマル)). I immediately teach it Thunder Wave and Volt Change. The Tower of Heaven is in the northwest part of the map; there is a patch of 2v2 grass in the east part of the map in which I catch a level 33 Zeburaika. I also teach it Volt Change.

Tower of Heaven (タワーオブヘブン)

There are a handful of forced battles in this tower, which is kind of annoying. On the floor with a bunch of generic trainers, TM61, Will-o-Wisp, is on the left. On the floor with 2 elite trainers is TM65, Shadow Claw, on the left. Once at the top of the tower, I engage in a dialogue with Fuuro and ring the bell. Note that it is possible to use Fly off the top of the tower.

Fukiyose City (フキヨセシティ)

Gym time! The gym in this city is located at the north end of the runway to the west. Zeburaika solos the mook trainers without breaking a sweat, and continues on to destroy Fuuro. A Nitro Charge lets it outspeed Kokoromori (ココロモリ), then KO with Spark. Zeburaika 2HKOs Kenhorou (ケンホロウ) with Spark and OHKOs Suwanna (スワンナ). After the battle, Fuuro gives me TM62, Acrobat (アクロバット).

Right upon exiting the gym, N is there waiting for me. What a stalker.

Party Pokemon:
Shinboraa     20 Naive     61  34  39  47  34  53
Shikijika     28 Naive     74  41  39  27  36  56
Emonga        30 Lax       79  56  55  56  42  72
Zeburaika     33 Serious   96  74  47  67  47  87

Edited by dondon151

I have a bunch of money right now. 92442 yen plus unsold vitamins and stuff like Stardust (although granted, were I to buy a TM like Thunder or Fire Blast, a huge portion of it would be gone). I would use Rare Candies if they're useful (e.g. I catch a wild Pokemon 1 level away from evolving), but it generally doesn't make enough of a difference to one's stats unless you use like 5 of them at once.

When I attempt to go north of the Pokemon Center, a guy (whose name is also Araragi?) stops me and engages in a monologue.

The translation patch I used calls him Papa Araragi, and he also appears in the professor's lab. I'm assuming he's her husband, since he doesn't look old enough to be her father.