(FE7) Help with increasing EXP gain

Mekkah

See topic title, pretty much. Is there a Nightmare module in existence for this? The only way of doing it I can think of is make a lot of classes enemy exclusive and increasing their class power, but this is a lot of grunt work I would rather avoid if possible.

The simple answer is, no, not with Nightmare. It should be possible with ASM hacking, MAYBE someone could develop a nightmare module for it, but... I don't think it works like that from my limited knowledge.

I would recommend lowering/raising (whichever one makes you gain more EXP) all class powers. This doesn't affect NPCs or enemies in the slightest, so it -should- have the desired effect.

Or I'm just being a fail.

EXP from doing damage = [31 + (enemy's Level + enemy's Class bonus A) - (Level + Class bonus A)] / Class power

EXP from defeating (base) = [(enemy's Level x enemy's Class power) + enemy's Class bonus B] - { [(Level x Class power) + Class bonus B] / Mode coefficient }

@Cametech Decreasing Class Power will result in an increase in EXP when doing damage, but won't do much for damage when defeating, since it both positively and negatively contributes.

@both Thanks for trying to help anyway.

What I'd do is make all player units female, since male and female versions of each class are seperate. Then I'd increase the Class Power of all males and/or decrease it on females. Some classes don't have both male and female versions, like Knight/General, so I'd have to do something different for those (like grab a NPC only class and change all their sprites etc), and for some others there's different workarounds (like Pirate/Corsair being different classes).

Some classes don't have both male and female versions, like Knight/General, so I'd have to do something different for those (like grab a NPC only class and change all their sprites etc), and for some others there's different workarounds (like Pirate/Corsair being different classes).

I do believe that there are class slots for Knight(F) and General(F), even though they aren't used in FE7. (0x14(Knight), 0x15(KnightF), 0x16(General), 0x17(GeneralF), according to the Class Editor)

Sprites, however, are a different story.

Edited by Lord Glenn

Ah yes, they're there. Don't know why I thought there wouldn't be any (other than that they're unused), since I thought I checked on this before. That leaves Troubadour/Valkyrie (F only) and Peg Knight/Falcoknight (F only) as the only "trouble" cases, and the former isn't much of an issue because until lategame they are incredibly rare, so the purpose of higher EXP gain has already been fulfilled.

Ah yes, they're there. Don't know why I thought there wouldn't be any (other than that they're unused), since I thought I checked on this before. That leaves Troubadour/Valkyrie (F only) and Peg Knight/Falcoknight (F only) as the only "trouble" cases, and the former isn't much of an issue because until lategame they are incredibly rare, so the purpose of higher EXP gain has already been fulfilled.

Fighters, Warriors, Pirates, Corsairs, Brigands, and Berserkers are all male only as well, if that causes any problems.

I can just boost the Class Power of Pirates, make Dart a Corsair, and change all enemies into Corsair, so those are no problem. There are no playable Brigands (just like there's no Soldiers), so just boosting their Class Power is all that's needed. Leaves Berserkers, but the only place these are common enemies in are one of the last chapters in the game, so just like Valkyries their Class Power not being boosted is not a problem.

The Fighter/Warrior stage is an issue. I could turn Bartre and Dorcas, or all enemy Fighters, into other classes. Or I could just not have boosted EXP for killing those.

You could also increase enemy levels and lower their growths/HM bonus levels to compensate (assuming this patch is intended for HM). Or change the mode coefficient, although I don't know how easy that is to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen the mode coefficient anywhere. When editing FE8 I found that increasing enemy levels doesn't actually increase their stats (iirc), but I forgot if it changed their EXP gain. Either way, that's about as much work as just changing their class. If not more, since enemy levels are in an annoying dropdown menu.

I haven't dabbled in GBA hacking for ages, but I believe enemies only gain stats with increased Level if they're set to "Level X and auto-level", which I think is found in the level dropdown menu (and might not be directly labeled).

Alternatively, if you were testing on Easy/Normal mode, promoted enemies only start gaining stats when they're Level 4 or above.

If you want to edit enemy levels without a dropdown then modify the editor to use an edit box. If the enemy level value also has other bits indicating whether the unit is an enemy, an ally or an NPC, edit those bits to be in a separate dropdown, which unfortunately can only be done with Nightmare 2.0 as the original has no support for separating bytes into different variables.

If you wanted to be really verbose you could separate it into a level edit box, a dropdown for whether they are enemy, ally or an NPC and another dropdown for whether they should autolevel.

Go through each Chapter Unit Editor and replace

Starting Level/Alliance

NDHU

Starting Level.txt

with

Starting Level

24b

5b

NEDU

NULL

Enemy

29b

1b

NDDU

OnOff.txt

NPC

30b

1b

NDDU

OnOff.txt

Autolevel

31b

1b

NDDU

OnOff.txt

and suddenly the problem vanishes! As I've said you'll need to start using Nightmare 2.0 for this to even work, but you can completely ditch the "Starting Level.txt" file and have a much nicer interface. Also note that in the same folder as the modules you will need to add a file called "OnOff.txt" with the following contents:

0x00 - Off

0x01 - On

or similar.

I've updated my collection of the FE 7 Nightmare modules to reflect these changes. Not really sure why no one else did this yet!

A preview:

chapter24cueupdate.png

Edited by Obviam