Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 22: The Hunt

Phoenix

The options were severely limited. Everyone was falling, and the threat was a clear and present danger. Casting her staff aside, she gripped her sword with both hands, and put everything she had into the strike. The enemy valkryie's attention must have been elsewhere, it looked like she was finally moving in to combat with Esphyr, but at Tessa's approach the woman turned to defend herself. It wasn't enough however, as the wyrmslayer scored a devastating blow.

Roll

Hawkeye 5Luck->5Hit

Arcanium Active

Stat Shift 1 Def, 1 Res -> 1 Skill, 1 Strength

[2,5,5] = (12)

[1,2,6] = (9)

Hit: 2(die)+2(skill)+1(StatShift)+5(Hawkeye) = 10 > 9 Evade

Damage: 2(strength)+1(StatShift)+2(Arcanium)+5(die) = 10 - 6 RES = 4 x 2 Crit! = 8 damage.

Althea KO.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Althea!" exclaimed Raemond. (I'm too late! How could this happen? I... I must see to my assignment) "I... I appologize, Althea..." Raemond sorrowfully said to his old comrade, "I must go now to my own assignment before I am waylayed... I wish I could have helped you more..." With that, he let loose a shrill whistle and Lantos began galloping towards his rider. (Hurry, hurry...)

"So, it appears that the Goddess has favored you this day." Althea said, smiling at the young troubadour. "Please...save this world." Althea said to Tessa. A serene smile graced the valkyrie's face before she slumped out of her saddle and fell to the ground, sword impaled through her chest. Blitz sped away from the battle at top speed, looking for the one his rider said he should find...

Charlotte began to spread her attention amongst the many wounded laying on the bloody battlefield, starting with Alex and Derek. Tristan flew over to Viveka and began to check the pegasus knight's vital signs, though he wasn't sure what he was looking for.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Pulling Back

That last blow from the wyvern rider dazed Henry a bit, by the time he could refocus, most of his allies' auras had gone down. A moment later, Altea's aura went out to, as a result of... one of the cloth? This was madness! Only Kamilla seemed to be left, so, the swordsman moved over towards her, grabbing the girl by the arm. Quickly taking Blitz's reins, the templar took a last look at the battlefield, passing over a few more priests and priestesses, before riding away with the other survivor.

In the Chaos

Helios had been one of the first, to go down, it seemed, and quickly, the rest of the group ignored Elle as the chaos went on. It would make an easy escape, but... Something was wrong about it. After all, they had healed her and seemed to be semi-decent... And Helios. Helios was the only reason she was alive right now... There would always be another time, Elle supposed, before moving over to where the wind sage lie and beginning to apply a vulnerary to his wounds.

Edited by Snike

Last Zaftran Standing

Irina was thankful for Charlotte's assistance but when Iso was injured by Althea, she rushed over and whisked him away before she could finish him off.

Iso: Gurgh ... damn ... she's way too strong.

Irina: Idiot-idiot-IDIOT!!! Don't do that! If we're taking on a strong opponent we do it TOGETHER! Don't ever do that again, you suicidal nutjob. She would have killed you!

Iso: ... a-alright. I'M SORRY. ... really ... urg ....

She landed nearby seeing Ulfhrahn's shadow pass overhead. Next Aiya was defeated.

Irina: Oh no! Aiya!

Kiev was getting jerked around a bit more than he would have liked but he understood the urgency. He carried her and Iso over to Aiya where she quickly hopped down to see if her friend was alright.

Irina: Aiya talk to me, are you okay?

Kamilla continued to stumble around until she was safely whisked away by Henry atop Blitz.

Viveka: Dammit ... they got away ...

It wasn't a second later she noticed Derek was injured as well, and Tristan had arrived tending to Susann. Susann was conscious but in so much pain she couldn't quite get back on her feet. Henry's attacks had hit both Viveka and Susann's legs grounding the both of them.

Viveka: Come on ... moooove ... daugh ... I'm stuck. Dammit.

Edited by Phoenix

As Irina asked her if she was alright, Aiya was unable to respond.

Her downed form gave off a distinct heat and glow from the remnants of the light magic blast which was clear to the touch, and her flesh was smoking from the overload of magical energy.

Her eyes lay open, a listless green pointed directly at Irina, yet showing no recognition of the fellow Wyvern Lord, or her brother. The magical impact had barraged the fallen rider's entire form, and blood had begun to flow from her mouth as thought her stomach had been sliced open by the strike of a poleax.

The woman was undoubtedly lying unconscious, completely wrecked by the assault. Her signature blade lay nearby, also pulsing with the same magical energies that had struck it's master down.

Raemond sent up a silent prayer that he appeared not to be a threat as his horse stopped before the monk. Mounting up, Raemond took annother look at the group, trying to force the low burn of rage from his heart. Then, he began riding away. (My orders were to eliminate a demon from the area; not to deal with the crimson weapons. Undoubtedly, Kamilla and Henry will deliver the...news...to the Grand Cleric. I suppose it is by the blessings of Ziatani and Oraisunyou that I was allowed to live. ...But why so much death? Why -- how was Althea allowed to fall? Althea... Brave knights of the Reformist Templars... Be at peace...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you need help?" asked Tas as he flew over to his fellow wyvern riders, "I can carry some of the injurred."

"Uh...Bellerophon a little help here?" Tristan said, trying to lift Susann off of Viveka. Bellerophon moved his nose under the female and scooped her onto his back.

"I don't think you should be moving anyway." Tristan said to Viveka. "That looked...nasty to say the least."

Charlotte wanted to spend more time on Alex and Derek, but there was work to do...She went over to Kelas and Arrin and used her staff to heal the sword wounds on the nomad and her brother.

A faint groan slipped from Esphyr's lips as she slowly sat up. She had been knocked to the ground during the fight, taking on several of the soldiers whom, apparently, had either not come with a horse or been knocked from it. Two shattered lances, protruded from her shoulder and several nasty cuts lined her body; cutting clean through the light armor. Still, she slowly rose up, her weight heaving under her worn-out legs. That had been one hard fight.

"Hey guys... No more fighting for today. Promise?" she said, trying to laugh only for pain to shoot through her shoulder as her lungs moved. "Ow."

Down

Susann was in terrible pain, but she had been rescued by the magnificent once. It was a miracle to say the least. She couldn't even manage a thankful nicker however due to her injuries still holding her attention. Viveka pulled herself up and sat down shaking her head a bit.

Viveka: Thanks, Tristan. Ugh, that could have gone better if that swordsman wasn't guarding that girl so heavily. It looked like I had a bigger opening than I really did and then Irina comes in, steals my capture and then let's her escape while the guard dog takes me down. I swear I'm going to kick her ass for that. ... I can't move though. I don't think my leg's broken ... but I really can't stand on it.

Downer

Irina panicked when she saw how horrible a state Aiya was in and lifted the girl into her arms only to be caught off guard by the heat coming off of the girl. Her gaze still lifeless, Irina reluctantly checked for a pulse barely finding one.

Irina: Oh no, oh no, oh no!

When Tas arrived asking if he could help, Irina shot back quickly!

Irina: Drag one of the healers over here now! I don't think she's going to make it!

Turning back to Aiya she began lightly shaking her trying to jar her away.

Irina: Come on, Aiya, stay with me! You can't go out like this!

"What the hell are you doing?!" screamed Esphyr as she saw Irina start to shake Aiya. A fresh surge of adrenaline shot through her body as she stood up, outright ignoring the pain and her own wounds. "Stop shaking her right now! Get a healer, or some medical supplies over here!" As fast as she could hurry, Esphyr headed over to the two girls. Sitting down beside Aiya, Esphyr gave a quick look over the girl. "She's got broken ribs and possibly some liquified internal organs as well as some light burns. There isn't much I can do to stop it on my own. We need a staff. Irina! Get me a staff! I can get her up, but damn it, I'm in no condition to do that! Tessa! Get over here! Charlottle! Pary! ONE OF YOU GET YOUR WORTHLESS HIDE OVER HERE! WE NEED A STAFF HEALING AIYA! NOT STUPID FLESH OR BLEEDING WOUNDS!"

She then bent down closer to Aiya's head. "Come on. You need to pull through. Damian is going to be furious if you die! You're not going to die here! You aren't going to die here! I'm not going to lose another friend because of this damned weapon damnit!"

Edited by Snowy_One

Tas flew over to the carrage where he assumed he would find a healer - whoever that might be. (This is when I feel I should probably know more of who-is-who...) Landing, he called out, "Are there any healers here?! Aiya needs help immediately!"

"Hey, wyvern rider! Stop that yelling!" Beau shot back, holding his head. He'd since climbed back into the carrage to take a nap.

"Oh, you'll help? You're a healer, right?" the courier asked, still sitting atop Namid's back, "Here, I'll give you a ride."

"You're joking, aren't you? I overexerted myself the last battle - I won't do it again," the thirteen-year-old healer replied, curling up.

Tas was beside himself as he gawked at the young healer, stunned. (He... How can a child that young -- a healer no less! -- so casually ignore the aftermath of a battle?!) Refocussing, he called out again as Beau groaned in annoyance.

Recovery Mode

Everything went out of focus, for a while. Then, when everything came back, it was all over. Painfully rising from the ground, Derek took a look at the carnage around him. It appeared that he was not the only one to fall to Althea's blade, as healers were moseying about, bring people out of immediate danger. Then, the cavalier saw Viveka lying on the ground, pinned under her pegasus. It was tough to walk just then, but he made his way to the Elyisimian, who in turn was talking with the Prince.

"Much obliged, Prince Tristan. I can take care of Miss Viveka from here, though," Derek said, crouching down beside the female pegasus knight despite the pain it brought. "Can you walk under your own power, or should I lift you?"

Taking a cue from his pegasus, Tristan asked Viveka "Do you want me to...carry you back to the carriage or something? I mean, you can tell me where to grab you and everything, I wouldn't want to be...inappropriate." Tristan said, cheeks growing a little red. Really not the time to be worrying about stupid stuff like that he thought to himself. Then Derek got up and crouched next to her. "Are you really in shape to be moving anyone Sir Derek? You got hurt pretty badly..." he asked the other man.

Charlotte noticed that Elle was taking care of Helios, and Jasmine of Conrad. There were screams to save Aiya, accompanied by some insults, that Charlotte nearly attended to, but Tessa seemed to be heading in that direction. Aiya's important, but I'm not letting anyone else die here either. She surveryed the scene of the battle, seeing Alferis in a heap with a gouged out eye. Oh Alf...the worst injuries seem to happen to you she thought to herself, remembering how he had nearly had his face burned off once. She began to apply her healing staff to him, though she was growing rather tired.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Luc Altair

A quick flurry of combat erupted as the leader woman swatted aside Luc's allies time and time again. Aiya fell,Reika and Heinz dodged strikes but still couldn't afflict a crippling blow. Luc gripped his halberd as he watched, he may have to ac as a distraction in an emergency. But with his--health? Luc looked around as he felt himself become reinvigorated. The younf Beau was up and about and healed him. Luc nodded in thanks and turned back towards the battle--which would seem to be increasing as a spare monk came down to lend aid. Where had he been before? But, it didn't seem to matter, as Tessa of all people ran the red-haired woman through. The late=coming monk cried her name and looked to be in a position to retreat. No, not on your own terms! But Luc looked at his fallen compatriots. There were enough injured that letting an idle hand go free was a danger. And the attack that had felled Aiya looked far worse than what had laid Luc low earlier. He couldn't abandon her after she had saved him. But... there were already people gathering to help her. And no one going after that extra monk.

Luc kicked Thunder into a chase. He wouldn't let that monk escape. "Hold!" he shouted after the fleeing holy man.

Hearing the shout behind him, Raemond leaned into the saddle more and Lantos increased his speed. (In hindsight, announcing my presence was likely a poor decision. This is not my mission and I hold no hope of defeating them all. The best I can do is gain a bit more ground and possibly-- Wait.)

Attempting to take up his tome while riding was not an easy task. (I hope I don't drop it. How does Raechel do this? It doesn't have to be very strong, at least...) turning in the saddle and holding his palm towards his persuer, Raemond let loose a weak flash of light in the hopes of spooking the cavelier's horse. However, Lantos took that as a sign to slow slightly. "Keep running, Lantos! What are you doing?!" Raemond accidentally asked alloud.

As the templar leader topped from her steed, the momentum of her fall, and the fact that Tessa's sword was still lodged in her chest drug the young girl off-balance, causing her to topple and lose her grip. Smiling... with such a grave wound. How did she manage? the troubadour found herself wondering. Althea's final words left an important impact as well. 'Please...save this world.' Had the woman changed her mind at last, would she relent the dogged attempt to kill everyone? Kamilla knew, trusted, and believed in her, and she was also clearly a servant of The Lady...

Pulling herself to her feet, shaking with the exertion and the tension of the combat just finished, when she saw the extent of the wound she'd caused the lady apprehension as well added itself to her tremors. That was horrible looking. At the very least, the wyrmslayer hadn't been dragged clear from the wound, and was still partly staunching the flow of blood, but red liquid was rapidly pooling itself on the ground regardless. Staff! Staff. Where'd I put it? a panicked thought raced across her consciousness.

Frantically scanning the battleground nearby, she barely registered Charlotte approaching. Where? There! Spotting it laying haphazardly on the ground, where she had carelessly tossed it, she dashed for it, grabbing it by the shod end, and not even taking the time to handle it properly before spinning back. The result was that the sudden motion caused it to slip from her grasp, but a least it flew in the right direction, landing nearby the fallen foe. Stumbling back to the scene she dropped to her knees and healed the woman.

Or rather, attempted to. As she tried to push the familiar healing energy out of the staff, it hit the bulb and stayed there, at least, that's what it felt like. Closing her eyes, she refocused, and began again, straining harder, beads of sweat popping up on her forehead. Again, a failure.

"Bugger all! Why isn't this working?" crying out in frustration, Tessa dropped the staff, and moved straight to the wound, if magic was failing her, she at least had some actual training to fall back on, right? Pressing both hands directly, one on each side of the blade, they were quickly covered with blood. She can't be, she can't be... Still warm...

Her thoughts were filled with feeble arguement. She knew full well that a body stayed warm for quite some time after death. Only in the tales would corpses be cold immediately upon expiration. Tessa knew what had happened here, and when she felt the pulse of blood from the wound slow almost to a stop, it was the final nail in the coffin. Sinking back into a crouch, leaning over her knees, she buried her face in her bloody hands and choked out a bitter sob.

This was nothing like what I'd intended. Nothing. I had to stop her to save Arrin, to save Sis, to save everyone, but... too far! Lady, what have I done. Was I even in time to save anyone today?

Voices in the distance yelled out, and she vaguely recognized her name. There was nothing further to be done here, she acknowledged with a heavy heart, yet elsewhere it seemed troubles continued. Grabbing her staff once again, she heaved several deep breaths, trying to clear her mind, ignoring the coppery tang when some of Althea's blood dripped into her mouth. The usual routine didn't work, though, and her pulse was still pounding, the blood roaring in her ears, limbs still trembling from excitement and shock.

Can't wait any longer, have to go like I am. I'm needed. Woodenly making her way in the direction of the shouts, she arrived as Esphyr and Irina crowing around Aiya, the wyvern rider having been felled spectacularly by blasts of light magic from the valkryie's sword. Yes... this sort of thing they wouldn't be able to manage, would they?

Dropping awkwardly to her knees, she placed one hand on the woman's armor, steading herself a little, while appraising the situation. Esphyr was filling her in on details as well, but Tessa was having trouble keeping everything straight in her head. Hot! Suddenly the pain registered. It had been slow but sure, and her bare skin against the heated armor was finally sending its complaints. "She must be roasting alive in there..." she murmured softly to herself, and anyone else who was nearby. "Irina, Esphyr, get that off of her. The heavily armored always seem to take the worst from magic, due to retaining the heat of the spells. I'll... I'll..." Words failed the healer, and she gave up speaking, and just mechanically switched over to actions. She'd healed countless times over the past weeks. It was a routine. She could probably do it in her sleep. And indeed, it was already as if she were practically asleep, certain trains of thought having entirely shut down.

The familiar glow of the staff, the flowing sensation―successfully released this time, and Aiya's body began the work of mending itself. The imminent heart failure was averted, Tessa having moved her hand to the carotid could feel the woman's pulse strengthen. She was continuing the healing process when something unexpected happened though. A sharp noise that only she could hear, a sudden pain in her right ear, and a bout of unexplained dizzyness. Hissing under her breath she raised her hand and cupped her ear. Was this the limit of her strength, already? It didn't feel like it...

Viveka

Viveka soon found herself in a slightly familiar position. Both men had offered to carry her, and she would have gladly accepted, but which one should really be doing it given the situation? Tristan quickly brought up Derek's condition which made Viveka grimace a bit. Looking up at Susann's saddlebags, she spoke.

Viveka: I have a couple of vulneraries left in the packs. Derek, can you take one? I don't really care who helps me up, but don't neglect your own injuries too. You're not hurt too, are you, Tristan?

Levski

Lev had to carefully maneuver around with both the eggs and the hatchling in his care. Once Morgan went down, he put Niket right with the eggs and hopped down from Krinkov. A bit dismayed he picked up Morgan and carried her over to Krinkov placing her sideways into the saddle and slightly leaning against the small mountain of supplies on the wyvern's back. From there he could only wait for the battle to conclude and keep an eye on Niket, making sure the little one didn't climb onto the new passenger.

Seeing Althea fall by Tessa's hand, he gawked a bit. She was certainly capable, but Althea had already taken down a lot of people and he couldn't help but be impressed.

Irina

Irina: Esphyr, you're not a healer, I've got Aiya now you go get a healer or quit crowding. Her organ's aren't liquified or she wouldn't even have a pulse.

After venting a bit, Irina looked around wondering if Tas had found a healer yet. Fortunately Tessa soon arrived and she breathed a deep sigh of relief carefully laying Aiya out and sitting back some so Tessa could work. She kept mostly quiet waiting to see the results. She did flinch though as Tessa cupped her ear. Was something wrong?

Kiev wasn't sure what to do with Isotov. He was useless and ragdoll like when he was defeated. Unbeknownst to him though Iso was giving off a slight bit of energy from his wounds. Iso himself being only half conscious didn't notice either.

Luc Altair

The fleeing monk attempted some sort of spell against Luc but it didn't even come close to hitting the pursuing cavalier. Obviously the monk wasn't skilled at casting and riding at the same time, as Luc noticed the pursued horse slow slightly. Though, perhaps the monk hadn't been trying to hit him? Perhaps he was trying to scare Thunder but, Thunder was a warhorse. He was trained to deal with such things. "Hold!" Luc shouted again. But even as he shouted he kicked Thunder to run faster and decreased the distance between the two. If the man attacked again this was certainly within range for Luc to be hit.

The Fargo

"Oh man..." Fargo stood not-wordlessly on te carriage as he looked at all the good people killed. Man, weren't they fighting to prevent all this?

A Paul

Paul was peaking out of his home ever-so-slightly as he enjoyed the carnage spreading around. Weren't nothing like an old-fashioned religious nut fight to get his blood flowing again.

As the healing light coursed through Aiya's frame, combating and undoing the damage caused by Althea's magic, the woman's faint heartbeat began to return to normal.

For a mere several seconds, the organ had stopped it's work completely, the sudden healing burst restarting the pumping blood before the brain had been given a chance to begin to die.

The radiating glow of the light assault had faded, leaving the grim scene set onto the dim background of the cold ground, however the heat had not yet begun to fade, and Tessa's assessment was not entirely inaccurate. Magnified by the steel breastplate, the heat was sweltering, smoke still wafting from the burns adorning Aiya's frame, now aggravated by the heat.

Her eyes appeared to contain more life than before however, yet they still did not show signs of consciousness.

Not cool at all... Helios had thought when the woman had cut him down. Despite my posturing. Promising to protect her... saying 'this won't take long, I'll be back soon'. In spite of everything... ahhh.

Falling from his horse, he'd landed uncomfortably, tried unsuccessfully to summon Hellsety, to at least strike a single blow. If he couldn't be a hero for her, he could at least do something, right? But it failed to come, and he had closed his eyes.

When he opened them again, it was to see Dani/Elle hovering over him, swabbing his wounds, and tending him. Reaching out, he lightly touched her forearm. "You're...?" he started to question, but changed his mind. Pushing himself a little, raising his back, he looked out, trying to figure what had happened. Everything seemed to be in chaos still. "The battle...?"

The one who seemed to be the youngest healer had been no help at all and Tas hadn't found anyone over there. Unsure of where else to look, he noticed Tristan, a man he didn't recognize and Viveka talking. Taking a glance back over to Irina, he noticed that someone else was over there. (Looks like she found a healer herself.) Cauciously landing near the small group consisting of two pegasus knights and the man he didn't know, Tas asked, "Hello. Is there any way I can help?" (That pegasus doesn't look like it's doing so well...)

Namid couldn't explain it, but the blood in this section smelled good...enticing, even. Was it the winged horses? They smelled to be the source. They smelled delicious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Humans weren't food and Niket wasn't particularly hungry. ...But wait. Could humans be food? Curious, he nipped at some of the shamaness' injurries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(I can only ride from here, it seems... I daren't stop to fight with him charging like that... Maybe I could... Oh, it's too tricky for me. I'm not the horseman she is. Yes, only able to ride for now...) Raemond didn't even look back, but instead silently urged Lantos to run more quicly and praying that he could escape.

Edited by Mercakete

Luc Altair

"I've ordered you hold twice and this makes thrice!" Luc yelled after the monk. "So I ask of thee hold or I shall take it upon myself to drag you from that saddle!" There had been enough violence in this avoidable fight. Luc didn't wish to add to it by hurting someone who was fleeing.

"Return to your savage band! I have a different charge from the Grand Cleric other than disposing of you!" Raemond called back to Luc, the fresh anger and sorrow distracting him from the state of his confused horse until he realized that Lantos was slowing again. (If this continues he'll catch up! Lantos, keep running!)

Edited by Mercakete

"Oh right, Susann's looking pretty bad. Uh...this should help." Tristan said, taking a vulnerary out of his pack and trying to feed it to Susann, who turned her nose up at it. "Well that's odd, Bellerophon never minds taking his vulneraries. She could really use one. Tas, do you know anything about giving animals medicine? I mean, I know this isn't a wyvern, but..." Bellerophon snorted a little. The humans were taking an awfully long time to restore the relevant female.

Morgan woke up in a haze. Is something...trying to devour my supposed corpse? Things must have gone quite poorly after I went down... She grabbed the thing feasting on her wounds and tossed it somewhere in the distance, not seeing where it was or what it was, and frankly not really caring.