Drafting Tournaments Explained

Integrity

Since I only have a few chapters left in my draft run of Thracia...

Is anyone sadistic enough to draft Gaiden with me? I'd do 3, but I'd rather wait for New Mystery since my computer sucks when it comes to DS emulators, and 3 is just...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I only have a few chapters left in my draft run of Thracia...

Is anyone sadistic enough to draft Gaiden with me? I'd do 3, but I'd rather wait for New Mystery since my computer sucks when it comes to DS emulators, and 3 is just...

3 is going to be won by whomever drafts Katua. Orb shards are the only thing that mean anything late game and Katua saves too many turns in the early game to be surmountable.

I think FE3 is a bad game to draft for this reason. Plus, you really need all of Katua, Paola, Sirius, and Linde for the first few chapters, and so forth.

That's why New Mystery would be more fair. They just give a few points. And you'd get Marth and MU to help for free, so less chance of sucking as well as reclassing. Reverse Lunatic anyone? :awesome:

Gaiden can be Alm soloed basically so you don't really need much but him, Celica, Norma, and the Jaigen dude.

He was suggesting MU would be free. Obviously he shouldn't be drafted, that would be unbalanced.

The problem with really good units being free is that it lessens the value of what you draft.

Does anyone think that an FE4 draft would be possible? Like, I know the 2 generation system would cause problems, but I thought of a way around it.

Basically, everyone in Gen 1 is free. It's the 2nd Gen characters that get drafted. This means that people have to make the most productive pairing for the kid while still maintaining low turncount. And of course, Celice and maybe Yuria are free? Iunno. Just a thought.

Somebody tried an FE4 draft before, but it turned out incredibly convoluted and nobody joined.

An idea would be to make only male characters in the first generation draftable--all females are free use. All other males must remain in a castle and therefore cannot fall in love with anyone. Then there would be a separate Gen2 draft where people get to choose either a character OR their sub (ex: You can choose Lakche/Radney, Lana/Mana, Corple/Sharlow). You'd probably have to make Oifaye free too.

I dunno, though. FE4 is complicated for a draft. The Holy Weapons create such big divides between characters, and people can only get one of Aless/Shanan/Faval, and you would need to get both Levin AND the child of whomever you plan to pair him with to use Holsety.

Maybe for that purpose only 3 or MAYBE 4 people in the draft would be good.

Edited by Silvercrow

Oh, there already was an FE4 draft? Hm, I'd like to see the ruleset on that.

I'd think the problem with that method is that whoever gets Levin has an advantage for asdfChapter 5, and whoever has the most mounted units wins (since there's no rescue-drop in this game).

Maybe have only the children draftable, with all the static characters giving like a 2 turn penalty or something?

I don't think Levin gives that huge an advantage in Ch5, Sigurd should still be able to take on the Freege army pretty well with the Tyrfing and nothing else in the chapter is really strong enough to warrant Holsety over anything else.

But yea, it's complicated. I don't think there's any way to make it work nicely.

Maybe this is a crazy idea full of flaws, but...

I sort of imagine the best way to draft FE4 might be in two parts.

Free:

Sigurd

Celice

Diadora

Julia

First draft mothers. Let the children come along for free. I'm imagining perhaps this makes a four person draft where everyone gets two mothers (Ayra, Lachesis, Ethlin, Tiltyu, Briggid, Aideen, Sylvia, Fury). If desired, they can opt for the substitutes for their drafted mother for Gen 2 instead.

(Mother draft looks like 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1)

Two mothers and their children amount for six units here.

Then, draft fathers and gen 2 fixed characters, with reverse priority from the mothers draft.

[Noish, Alec, Arden, Azel, Lex

Fin, Midayle, Dew, Jamka, Holyn

Beowolf, Levin, Claude, Cuan, Oifey

Johan, Johalva, Shanan, Aless, Hannibal]

(Father draft looks like 4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1,&c.)

There looks to be enough there for four drafters to get five of these, and almost assuredly fathers enough to fit their needs.

I'm a little unsure of some details, but maybe others can add input.

Anyone up for a multiple game draft? Player 1 picks Seth, Player 2 picks Titania, Player 3 picks Marcus, etc, and winner has the lowest combined turn count. Personally, I think FE10 is the best game to do drafting tournaments because of consideration for multiple armies, and this type of draft extends that to the other games to allow for better balance (FE9 really suffers there).

Of course, it'd be quite time-consuming and we'd have to hammer some details, but if you're up to it this could very interesting.

Ideally, I'd like somewhere around 10+ players to join, and still think banning Oifayes would be best.

Anyone up for a multiple game draft?

...to allow for better balance (FE9 really suffers there).

Of course, it'd be quite time-consuming and we'd have to hammer some details, but if you're up to it this could very interesting.

Ideally, I'd like somewhere around 10+ players to join, and still think banning Oifayes would be best.

Huh. There may indeed be some merit to the idea, but I'm incredibly wary of the amount of effort and commitment required. Many single game drafts get abandoned partway through completion, and this would only exacerbate the problem. Not to mention, the diverse games required entails interest and familiarity with a much wider set than simply a single game...

If it can be pulled off, then kudos. On a personal note, I don't think I have either the commitment for such a massive project, nor the interest. (Having already finished drafts of many single games, I'm in no hurry to repeat the task, as for the most part I consider that game a finished work.)

Anyone up for a multiple game draft? Player 1 picks Seth, Player 2 picks Titania, Player 3 picks Marcus, etc, and winner has the lowest combined turn count. Personally, I think FE10 is the best game to do drafting tournaments because of consideration for multiple armies, and this type of draft extends that to the other games to allow for better balance (FE9 really suffers there).

So like, FE6-9?

Hm, sure.

In Shadow Dragon. How does the ruling take its order on using undrafted Julian units on gaidens?

Does it go like this.

16 turns clear +4 turns penalty from undrafted Julian or maybe an extra healer unit -20 from being gaiden = 0

Or

((16 turnsweight - 20 turnCON) 0 if negative) + 4 from undrafted F*cked up prf/S wpn unit

This is pretty important....