Drafting Tournaments Explained

Integrity

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. . .

You get the normal 20 turns on the gaiden, but take the 4 turn penalty at the end of the tournament. Otherwise, you lose out on some sweet 17x reinforcements.

A PSA:

I know you folks like this new reverse draft eclipse concocted, but for the love of fuck please leave the teams according to who's running the game with them, not who drafted them. PLEASE!

• 2 weeks later...

Another suggestion:

For drafting tournaments, whoever's running it should put a hard time limit for draft picks. For mine, I put a 24-hour time limit between picks. Perhaps if the offender goes over the limit, the person running the tournament drafts for them, and the draft continues.

EDIT: And for those that try to forward their picks, if they're not clear about it, and they get the wrong people, oops.

Edited by eclipse

I'll say unless they specificily mention they'll begone an extended period of time (probably a grace period of 48 hours) then they either need to give a list of drafts to someone, or forfeit thier turn.

I don't agree with auto-drafting horrible characters to people who happen to be busy just because everyone else is too impatient to wait for them. If you think you might be absent just make sure you give someone a list of your picks.

I would add the condition that the draft creator is responsible and picks someone at least marginally decent.

Even then, I still don't agree with auto-drafting characters because drafters usually have a plan and want specific characters.

I don't agree with auto-drafting horrible characters to people who happen to be busy just because everyone else is too impatient to wait for them. If you think you might be absent just make sure you give someone a list of your picks.

This is for those who didn't forward a list, or forwarded a list that requires Enigma to decipher.

Honestly, I think it's an issue of respect more than anything. Checking a forum for 2 minutes once every 24 hours is not a lot to ask, or at least to say something if you're not able to. It's just rude to everyone else and I'm not sure it merits something like 4 other people waiting for it.

But are we all really so impatient we can't wait for them to come back?

People get antsy, and it disrupts the flow of drafting. If it takes too long, I think it could kill the tournament (thank goodness this hasn't happened yet).

On GFaqs, there was one FE7 tournament where we had to wait a whopping WEEK AND A HALF because one person was on for 3 hours over the space of 48 hours. IN 30 MINUTE INTERVALS. And for an SD draft, one person vanished without a trace and never came back., Finally, we gave him the 4 units he picked, Arran, Samson, Bantu, and a few others.

EDIT: And on eclipse's comment on having a plan, I can tell you some people do. I, for one, usually plan some disaster involving Ewan and Amelia.

Edited by 13thshadow

I think for the 7-9 drafts, instead of going free Jeigan or no Jeigan, we should instead ban the Jeigan and give each player another free unit who is capable and available but is not gamebreaking to the degree Marcus/Seth/Titania are. Something like Oswin/Franz/Oscar could work for each game and make the picks matter more in comparison to the Jeigan while also solving the possibility of getting screwed out of an early game unit assuming just no Jeigan for 7 and 8, though 9 is otherwise still imbalanced by fliers+BEXP.

Thoughts?

I think for the 7-9 drafts, instead of going free Jeigan or no Jeigan, we should instead ban the Jeigan and give each player another free unit who is capable and available but is not gamebreaking to the degree Marcus/Seth/Titania are. Something like Oswin/Franz/Oscar could work for each game and make the picks matter more in comparison to the Jeigan while also solving the possibility of getting screwed out of an early game unit assuming just no Jeigan for 7 and 8, though 9 is otherwise still imbalanced by fliers+BEXP.

Thoughts?

I agree x10

It makes it so that first pick doesn't nearly autowin by getting Franz etc.

I agree x10

It makes it so that first pick doesn't nearly autowin by getting Franz etc.

You could argue Franz vs. Vanessa first pick rights.

Anywho, since Matthew is already free for thiefing I say give him. And I'll try and decide if either Fin or Lifis is free. I might need to rethink penalties entirely for FE5, since the list is pretty confusing.

FE5 is confusing in general with penalties because of how the game assumes you're not putting those arbitrary restrictions on yourself. Have fun without a thief in Manster or Dagda in 8x.