Return of the Emblem: Chat

CATS

Good enough as to where any passerby could hear the exchange and find Zachy-boy. Scorri volunteered Marella to do it but Kat cold pop in too easily.

Retro threesome mark 2 goooo!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really tempted to get involved directly (when he's there crying and stuff), but am to have a character interact about it later. It wouldn't necessarily have to be Kat.

Thought you just hit twice?

If it worked like in a normal battle (where you hit, then they hit, then you hit) then it's the same as hitting once in a duel situation. You should be getting two attacks for every one Marella does.

Depends on who goes first.

Zach attacks and he hits, then Marella hits, then Zach hits again and then the combat round ends.

Marella goes first, hits Zach, Zach counters twice. Combat round ends.

Of course if you're fighting a myrm and aren't one yourself--in cases of doubling--they'll start off every combat round by utterly maiming you.

Yeah, but then you get~

Zach's turn: Zach attacks, Marella attacks, Zach attacks. End round.

Marella's turn: Marella attacks, Zach attacks, Zach attacks. End Round.

Zach's turn: Zach attacks, Marella attacks, Zach attacks. End round.

I don't like dealing with context most of the time, but these could use some clearing up :>_<:

Zach and Marella:

I didn't establish this early on enough(which I'll happily take the blame for), but there aren't enough 'rooms' on this ship for all individual party members to have their own. Raquel for instance has been sleeping one of the following, the floor of the Dauntless, a cot in the infirmary, or a cot in the quarters set aside specifically for the group. Likely the same with other VIPs like Connor minus the infirmary cot which is not impossible, just odd on this particular ship. So if Zach wound up in his own private quarters that means either,

A: He started using it without permission and got away with it.

B: Got permission but ultimately didn't go along with the inevitable suggestion Delan would have made(offering it to one of the VIPs).

I vaguely recall this happening with Grant too but I think he got option A. Again I gladly accept blame for not establishing this earlier on(or back when it was generally relevant).

I don't need you to retcon the posts, only pick the context that goes along with it so I know. Might be a third option, but you'll need to run it by me, and no, Raquel would not turn down an actual bed, so that's not an option unless he was all "There's a bed for you, but ... we have to share ; ] " That scenario has other problems which we don't need to go into.

Luca VS Tia:

Now I REALLY didn't want to retcon this until I checked to be sure of what was going on. Both of our posts are vague enough to allow for some vastly different interpretations of the environment, but I put together the definitive context that was there to come to the conclusion that we need a retcon here. I'll go over all of this, in depth for a change, so we're on the same page here. No mockery or hurtful commentary.

Now to start, we have Tia heading back down toward the docks. Specifically, it says,

steadying the load of tomes with her chin as she started to walk off down towards the dock to see if any traders had arrived.

There are only a few general directions of approach this makes sense with and none of them allow for a split second water spell. It's implied she's approaching the docks from relatively head on, and if she's not, or approaching from the side and walking closely along the edges of the docks where there's plenty of water right within her reach, she can't possibly have an encounter with Luca to begin with. I don't mean to nitpick but this is extremely important because the closer she is to the water, the less sense this scene ultimately makes. It inexplicably cuts Luca's running time down to a few seconds and places a crowd of people right near the bottom of the ramp, muddying up the situation in general.

The reasons why are as follows.

Nadya decided to take Luca and went down the ramp, since people were heading up it.

Nadya takes Luca to the bottom of the ramp and knocks some fools out of the way. Also note that Luca's not running yet. Nadya's not mounted just yet.

getting on top of him for a ride around the port.

Now she's mounted. He didn't take off until after this happened(he couldn't have). This ties into the following which establishes some vague sense of distance traveled.

While weaving through the bystanders with all the grace of a champion, Luca happened upon one that was short with red hair and freckles, and all sorts of in the way. He weighed his options quickly, dodge to the left or the right and risk hitting someone else, grind to a halt and risk throwing Nadya, or jump right over the girl.

Luca didn't run off to either side of the docks; he went away from the docks, because Tia came toward them. Her direction of travel effectively establishes his. The distance traveled is enough for him to start coming across people, but not the kind of crowds that would force him to slow down or jump, not until he reaches Tia. Now this is where the real problem shows up.

Water rose up from the ocean as Tia cast her spell, surging forwards at high speeds,

Tia shouldn't be close enough to the water to pull from the ocean if Luca has been galloping in her general direction any longer than a few seconds. She's at an undefined range that will exponentially increase the time it takes to cast her spell, and even if she wasn't, she would still essentially be trying to hit a horse running at her with water from behind in order to stop it from trampling her. This can't work. Think about it, Luca is making a split second decision because he doesn't have time to slow down ... he can't slow down without throwing Nadya at this point, that's how close he is to trampling this girl, and she's countering it with a spell that could only come from back the way he came. Now she could try to hit him from the side, but that would take longer if she does anymore than splash him. She doesn't have enough time to hit him from behind and so she definitely doesn't have time to hit him from the side. Even if she did have time, the water would have to be arced to avoid hitting all of the other people near this encounter. Any measure taken to make this spell more effective just eats up time she doesn't have in this 'desperate' move. That's why I think this needs to be retconned, just so we're clear on the reasoning behind it.

Now that we're on the same page, I think ... please come up with something else. I know it's important to find a way to showcase that Tia is a water mage for recruitment purposes, and so I understand the need to find an opening for that, but this isn't that opening. If she was fast enough to hit Luca with ocean water, he'd just botch his jump and crush her. Try waiting until after he jumps over and when Nadya apologizes for the near-crush experience(I can get Luca to stop for the sake of this, just requires a conveniently placed obstacle he can't get around), have her start ranting about what a close call that was and just occupy her in general until others show up or something.

Also a suggestion for ClickThis if you're reading this, you could also have Mao stumble onto this. Nadya's not a recruiter, but she's relatively staple unit and sticking with her long enough will keep you busy and posting until the actual recruiters do show up.

Edited by Phoenix

The only problem with waiting two weeks for the dragon challenge is that people who are in school aren't going to get any less busy. I know that I will at least be rather more busy then than I am now. I'd probably prefer we did it ASAP to be honest.

Seeing as the day in-rp is just beginning, I don't think we could do the DH challenge right now anyway. (We all have to be asleep for that to happen, after all, preferably (most IC-wise anyway) in a controlled environment.