Fire Emblem: Dream of Five

AstraLunaSol

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DreamsofFive.png

I think the bad guys should hire better bandits, this guy's been trying for five turns and his attacks have all failed :P.

But in all serious, did you forget tile changes? Or did you not want the village destroyed so quickly? If it's the latter, simply putting the village destroying bandit further away would handle this. It would also add some challenge to ferrying people over, since you'd have to get the village before Mr. Bandit comes along while handling everything else.

.....I thought I killed that AI.

Oh well, things like this is why I released patch~

gollygeewillicker.png

Oh noes, he's gonna betray us! Oh wait, maybe I'd be surprised if Furetchen wasn't all "I don't trust the guy. He's gonna betray us." It might have been better if you didn't have him outright show that at the beginning of the chapter, and saved such an important revelation for when he actually does betray us (like how you had VERY subtle hints about Nasir in FE9).

mandatoryinnesssplice.png

I spy with my little eyes...the hack's mandatory Innes splice!

Let me say that I do like the hack, but it has little things that irk me.

Will fix both.

I have a bunch of comments I made during my playthrough, but I'm not sure if you're looking for critique, which a lot of it is. If you don't mind it, I'll post it, if you do, then I won't. =\

Go for it.

DreamsofFive.png

I think the bad guys should hire better bandits, this guy's been trying for five turns and his attacks have all failed :P.

Man, I didn't even notice this since I'm compelled to get all villages.

Maybe it's an FE4 village !

Kolbane's body is good, but his face is too much like Wil's.

Those are Allan's eyes, I swear!

gollygeewillicker.png

Oh noes, he's gonna betray us! Oh wait, maybe I'd be surprised if Furetchen wasn't all "I don't trust the guy. He's gonna betray us." It might have been better if you didn't have him outright show that at the beginning of the chapter, and saved such an important revelation for when he actually does betray us (like how you had VERY subtle hints about Nasir in FE9).

mandatoryinnesssplice.png

I spy with my little eyes...the hack's mandatory Innes splice!

Let me say that I do like the hack, but it has little things that irk me.

Subtelty. Got it.

One more criticism to add (sorry guys).

howoldishe.png

The character doesn't look significantly older than the rest of the cast to me. Certainly not a "veteran" having fought for "long years." If you're looking to scars to make him appear older, it isn't really working :/. He just looks like he's gotten in some bad fights, not like a "veteran."

Edited by Optimus OVERTROLL

I'd like to throw it out there that I really like Chester's mug! The weapon icons are also quite good (although having a curved handle on a throwing axe seems odd). Though Kolbane is one mug that stands out as a splice in comparison to Chester and the rest of the cast. The tactician (who's name escapes me) would be improved my not having a straight copy of Hausen's face (the rest of it is quite good though).

I was wondering if this:

2woaxqg.png

could be used to replace my mug ^^' the reason is to vary haircolors and match her personality. But then Feaw said Inaire's and Ilanice's faces needed more customness. Will the mugs get replaced? There are a large portion of characters that share faces with existing characters. I do think my char needs a more original look though, especially the outfit/armor.

Edited by Queen_Elincia

I can answer that.

Dan's doing edits to mugs, so, yours will still be there, it will just get a few changes to it, if you don't mind.

And, we don't mind pink, but, uh... Would you mind if we choose a better pink? That one's kinda painful.

Edited by seph1212

I'll use a different pink, but it will be pink, if that's what you want.

I was planning on customing the outfit more, so no worries there.

Thank you Astra

and I don't mind, I just think pink would be a good variety that was more like an example (rippin off Serra's colors lol)

That is a pretty pink ^_^

Edited by Queen_Elincia

- ploughshares? what is that?

- "well we'll" sounds bad--get rid of the 'well', it's redundant and inarticulate

- haha it sure did take a while for some of the units to get into position

- needs more [A] in some text cases

- [11:47] Arch: Village attack fail

[11:48] Arch: No tile changes in Chapter 1

[11:48] Arch: Brigand keeps attacking the village

(self-explanatory)

- I'd be lying if I said Furetchen looked old like his description implies...

- The portraits are all pretty good, which is a major plus

- All of the battle sprite palettes are pretty good, nice job with that.

- lol "arses"... either be vulgar or don't, but halfway just sounds really, really bad... like puke-bad...

- Renair's the commander? *shocked* (you'd think she'd at least double)

- YEAH RANDOM CHARACTERS FTW (at least the portraits are well-shaded!)

- ENEMY TURN REINFORCEMENTS, YOU JERK

- I think I've gotten a critical with the Gold Edge almost everytime I've used it... O_O

- why are Pegasus Knights getting doubled by generic bandits

- Chapter 2 map is way too big... as in, unnecessarily big...

- Chester's NPC palette is fucked up

- Chester NEEDS a vulnerary, so he won't go kill himself

- YESZ, mandatory Innes splice guy who talks to himself a lot!

- Crispin isn't bad for a level 3 archer... ._.

- *Amelia spam's boss*

- I missed 6 times in a row with a 57% chance... this game's RNG sucks!!! (jk)

- Rankin doesn't have a death quote

- If you're going to use the "KILL" code... the guy should be dead... if not, use an unconscious map sprite replacement or something... I actually thought he was dead (I'd be dead if I took 87 damage and only had 39HP... >_>)

Overall: plot is ok, maps are ok, sprites are good, music is N/A, gameplay is pretty good (maps are kinda involved in that though), overall it was good.

Do excuse me if some stuff was already mentioned by someone else... (like Arch XP).

- "well we'll" sounds bad--get rid of the 'well', it's redundant and inarticulate

- haha it sure did take a while for some of the units to get into position

- [11:47] Arch: Village attack fail

[11:48] Arch: No tile changes in Chapter 1

[11:48] Arch: Brigand keeps attacking the village

(self-explanatory)

- The portraits are all pretty good, which is a major plus

- All of the battle sprite palettes are pretty good, nice job with that.

- lol "arses"... either be vulgar or don't, but halfway just sounds really, really bad... like puke-bad...

- I think I've gotten a critical with the Gold Edge almost everytime I've used it... O_O

- Chester's NPC palette is fucked up

- *Amelia spam's boss*

- If you're going to use the "KILL" code... the guy should be dead... if not, use an unconscious map sprite replacement or something... I actually thought he was dead (I'd be dead if I took 87 damage and only had 39HP... >_>)

Overall: plot is ok, maps are ok, sprites are good, music is N/A, gameplay is pretty good (maps are kinda involved in that though), overall it was good.

Do excuse me if some stuff was already mentioned by someone else... (like Arch XP).

Please don't even attempt dabbling in language and script matters.

Ever again.

Ever

Ever

Ever

Edited by The Valter

I'll answer what applies to me.

- *Amelia spam's boss*

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plowshare Ain;'t never heard of the phrase 'swords to ploughshares'?

-No.

-As before, mug's being changed.

-What should I use instead? Asses falls into the same category, but I'm not an American (I use it when arses doesn't flow into the sentence), butt doesn't work because they aren't twelve-year old girls, bottom sounds ridiculous...don't even suggest anus. And for the level of profanity that's been selected, 'shitside' sounds a little...meaningless.

-Don't equip them with weapons they can't handle?

-Conceded on the sprite. He's an egomaniac.

-He's a mid-boss. Should he be? No.

-We were kinda going on faith that nobody would just sit there and train for like fifty turns, and instead, y'know, finish the map or something. I know it's a crazy idea.

-The RNG hates people who spam 2-range on sword bosses, the same way Norris is beloved of the RNGoddess and the only way to kill him is to outduel him from two squares away.

EDIT: Herp, [/qpoiler].

Edited by Furetchen

As the word Plough implies, tool which farmers use.

Furet's writing style, though,

[6:27:40 PM] Seph1212: It should be well, we'll.

[6:27:42 PM] Seph1212: Commas~

I thought there might've been a tad too many in some places. But okay.

Wut.

Eliwood.

YEAH

lol

Because retarded Con.

....Chapter 2?

Use the peggy you were supplied with

lol

/checks

I did something~ Is there an unconscious warrior map sprite? oh lol, there is, NEVERMIND

Replies in Bold, but yeah.

PLOT GETS BETTER

Edited by Shion Kaito

^Alright good luck with the improvements, not that there is much to improve... here are my final responses, and once again, I mentioned what I did because saying good things doesn't help you improve your hack, critiquing does, and you said to go ahead, so I did~

Is there an unconscious warrior map sprite?

Actually, I think Brendan had a dead one... lol. But that could be used as an unconscious one. Then Furetchen wouldn't completely disappear and trick us into thinking that his body turned into ashes. Heheh.

-Don't equip them with weapons they can't handle?

Slim Lance lol

-The RNG hates people who spam 2-range on sword bosses

I was just joking, sheesh...

Ain;'t never heard of the phrase 'swords to ploughshares'?

no, I live in America

Eliwood.

...Point, I'm starting to appreciate how relatively good she is now...

^Alright good luck with the improvements, not that there is much to improve... here are my final responses, and once again, I mentioned what I did because saying good things doesn't help you improve your hack, critiquing does, and you said to go ahead, so I did~

Actually, I think Brendan had a dead one... lol. But that could be used as an unconscious one. Then Furetchen wouldn't completely disappear and trick us into thinking that his body turned into ashes. Heheh.

Slim Lance lol

I was just joking, sheesh...

no, I live in America

...Point, I'm starting to appreciate how relatively good she is now...

I know, I know.

Yeah. Being discussed now.

Better than being doubled with Iron, innit?

As was I~

Then don't send Bryson over here to snark about making hay while the sun shines.

In fairness, I have a faintly archaic writing style. Kinda like the PSP translation of FFT, but from a different average income of London.

There we are, then. She's in charge because Furetchen is too bloody-minded and Kolbane is too honest.

no, I live in America

The term swords to plowshares (or ploughshares as they have it spelled, which is also correct I believe) originates from the Bible.

It's the idea of turning military weapons towards more peaceful, civilian uses. I could give a few relatively modern uses of it if you want.

Edited by Paperblade

Contrary to what may be popular belief, not all Americans have read the bible (I certainly haven't). Plowshare isn't used very commonly in America (I don't think I've ever heard it). It fits with the "archaic" style I suppose, but you shouldn't write archaic and not expect people to have a few questions now and then.

Also, a general comment on the script. Every two lines should have an [A], otherwise things are skipped quickly or difficult to read for those of us who prefer faster text speed.

what does Stoic mean?

To endure pain and suffering without showing it.

Oh, another thing, Proto, you say Allan left because the hack wasn't moving? His leaving was more related to me and Mao than to lack of progress AFAIK.

Uh, no, I have absolutely no idea WHY he left. I was simply pointing out that he shared the same thoughts about the slow hack progress. I can't claim to know what triggered him to leave.

Sorry that I don't play Magic: The Gathering? But dude, it's not a common phrase! I know it because I acted in Les Mis, but I've never heard anyone normally say "swords to plowshares" or "plowshares." It's archaic terminology, the writer admits to having hints of archaic in his writing (plowshares would be one of those hints).

And yes, you put an [A] even where it looks awkward. Functionality > a trivial look (the text "awkwardness" doesn't look that weird).