Fire Emblem Forever (status: dead?)

Krad

Fire Emblem Forever

What this is
This is a hack for FE7 that is a "remake" of the second generation of FE4. It changes many things from the original game (for example, splitting up the original maps into smaller ones) to hopefully feel like a new experience.

What the current patch (v2.2) includes

• 33 playable units
  • 15 chapters total (11 main ones and 4 sidequests)
  • Two difficulties

What's planned for the future
v2.3

• ???????????

v3.0 and on

• 41+ playable units
  • A total of approximately 20 main chapters and 7 sidequests
  • Supports
  • Different final chapters depending on the difficulty chosen

Screenshots

2j2wd54.png
nn48yb.png

Most recent patch
Download here! (v2.2)
[spoiler=Changelog from v2.1]

• Fixed some name errors (Seliph/Celice, Ced/Sety, etc)
  • Changed names to their new localized versions (Eltshan/Eldigan, Trabant/Travant, etc)
  • Fixed text boxes switching in the Leif/Glade conversation in Chapter 6
  • The "world map" text in many chapters should no longer crash the game if skipped (since it can't be skipped anymore)
  • Fixed Syn's enemy palette and Johan's NPC palette
  • Lowered the difficulty of Chapter 1 and Chapter 1x by changing enemy AI and changing enemy weapons to weaker ones
  • Fixed Sif's spawn point in Chapter 1. He will now appear the Player Phase after you kill Syn
  • Delmud's portrait has been updated
  • The shaman from chapter 7x has a new portrait
  • Bow Knights get C swords upon promotiong
  • Mage Knights now have 8 move
  • Fighters now move 2 tiles in desert
  • Replaced the Arch Knight's previous description
  • Added a hint on getting the Hero Axe in Chapter 4
  • Salem now moves towards the player in Chapter 5
  • The house that gived a Blue Gem in Chapter 6 should now give only one
  • Ishtar's AI has been changed
  • Eyvel should no longer be deployable in Chapter 10
  • The "One Year Later" CG in Chapter 10 should no longer appear
  • IMPORTANT: Ares, Faval and Ced now can properly use their holy weapons (please read below)

About the holy weapons
This really sucks and I just noticed it while fixing other stuff. In the previous release, I forgot to make Ares, Faval and Ced able to use their holy weapons. While I have fixed this in v2.2, people who were played the previous version won't be able to use them (since I can't modify character data after a unit is recruited).
If you have a savefile before or at Chapter 6, as long as you restart that chapter, you shouldn't have any problems. For those who no longer have a save at that chapter, I'm really sorry for not noticing this before.
This is all really important if you plan to use the same savefile in v3.0. If you plan on restaring again on that version, then don't worry about this.

Savefiles from v2.0 and v2.1 should work with this one as long as you restart the last chapter you were in; previous ones DO NOT work.

Enjoy!

Tier List lol (contains spoilers)

Cutscene tier
Lewyn
Sigurd

Top tier
Oifey
Shanan

Sort of ok I guess tier
Everyone else

F.A.Q.

Where are the holy weapons?
Aside from the ones found in the Prologue, in the current version of the game (v2.1), you can find the Balmung and Mystletainn in Chapter 7x and Chapter 10x respectively.

Why are both Johan and Johalva recruitable at the same time?
Gen 2 gave you a minuscule ammount of Axe users, so I made both recruitable at the same time (and also added things like Orsin, Halvan, etc) to try to solve this.

Why are the difficulties called Adults and Kids mode?

I originally thought of different difficulties for this hack while I was playing Viewtiful Joe, where the difficulties are named like that (in addition to V-Rated and Super V Rated). Since F-Rated isn't really a good name for this, I used Adults and Kids instead.

Official reviews

"10/10 could be better" - IGN

"9/10 my wallet feels really heavy!" - Gamespot

"9.5/10 Krad really paid off this time! - GameTrailers

Edited by Krad

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are Johan and Johalva going to be in the same chapter for the choice of recruitment, or are you just going to have them both recruitable? Because if one appears earlier than the other that may be an issue if you want to recruit the later one.

Are Johan and Johalva going to be in the same chapter for the choice of recruitment, or are you just going to have them both recruitable? Because if one appears earlier than the other that may be an issue if you want to recruit the later one.

I'll probably have both recruitable, due to the lack of axe users in FE4.

Having them recruitable in two different chapters isn't an issue, however. I can set it so that making Lakche talk to Johalva in a chapter disallow the talking option for Johan in another.

I feel that there's a significant difference between the styles of the FE4 and FE5 mugs, though.

I'm trying to sprite as many as I can into the FE5 style. So far I've only finished Lakche (and Fee technically).

I would suggest you lighten and diversify the shades of the battle palettes. It's far too dark, which makes not only detail disperse, but also the contrast shoot kinda through the roof. At the very least to a distracting level. Lana seems a good shade, though I would slightly brighten her hair, personally.

But as soon as possible get the rest of the mugs over and it'll be awesome looking. I'd also suggest replacing the backdrops for conversations with ones which mimic a similar perspective of the mugs, because they also make the mugs seem slightly out of place. But not much. Though actually, maybe just darken out the palettes for most of them instead--the backdrops--and it might look better. The SNES palettes are inherently darker, due to televisions being the main viewing method of the games you ripped from, while the GBA palettes are a little brighter to work with the lack of back-lighting.

The map design isn't garbage either, like most publicized Fire Emblem hacks. So it actually looks fun to play in almost every way. There's actually a Fire Emblem hack that's not foreign that I'm looking forward to now XD I would say worry about minor things like graphical style and colors until you've got the basis of the game down. Tidying is easier and quicker to do together. If you try to do it as you go along, you're far more likely to end up forgetting about the project, or not wanting to work much on it. Create a sandbox, play, then tune what you played up into creation.

Edited by Celice

No, his class was Swordfighter, as was Lakche. In FE4 Swordfighters mostly became Forrests, but a few, like Lakche and Ayra, became Swordmasters.

It wasn't until FE5 that they really had a Myrm-Merc split.

But he should be a merc anyway.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I actually like seeing him as a Myrmidon. It seems to promote Odo :3 Or at least feel like an Isaacian. Though I'm not sure if I could see him as a Swordmaster... XD More of a Hero to me. Is it worth duplicating a Myrimidon class just so he can promote into a Hero? :3

canon open to interpretation

Bird's the word.

Really hope you'll change their overworld sprites. No matter how much text and mug editing you do, that will always be Serra and Eliwood.

LOLOL THE PORTRAITS ARE AWESOME

You win, man. They're legit. Once you replace them all and update the map sprites, it'll be even more awesome.

Nice job, looking forward to this. And you sure did put a lot of battle screenshots showing off palettes XD

I actually like seeing him as a Myrmidon. It seems to promote Odo :3 Or at least feel like an Isaacian. Though I'm not sure if I could see him as a Swordmaster... XD More of a Hero to me. Is it worth duplicating a Myrimidon class just so he can promote into a Hero? :3

Holyn was a mercenary

Holyn was a mercenary

Thats nice

Really hope you'll change their overworld sprites. No matter how much text and mug editing you do, that will always be Serra and Eliwood.

Have run ripping each frame of animation for the sixty-some classes D: The overworld frames are compressed, which is no big deal, but uncompressed they're still some junked mess of garble that you have to puzzle together, and there's no semblance of order to any of them. It's actually faster to take frame-by-frame shots and pieces them together than rip them. Overworld's standing-frames are simple, since they're not compressed at all, and in a standard simple-order.

The easiest method to getting all the frames would be setting up an animation ripper, separately to track the emulator, and then program a "cast slideshow" feature where each overworld unit walked its number of frames across an empty plain. Actually... you don't even need to program that in, considering you can just do it with events. And if memory serves, all the in-game events are documented and uploaded over at febin.so.land.to--you can just change the first event the game uses to create the slideshow effect and rip from there. It'll still be a bunch of monotonous labor, but that's the quickest way to it it seems.

I haven't come across any resources with many overworld animations ripped for this game. A user named Eltoshan was ripping a bunch of them for me years ago when I was messing around with the games, but he lost interest, and doesn't seem to be around anyways any longer.

Another way is, if you can find semblance to the tilemess, all you need to do is code up a display program that assembles the pieces of the puzzle for you every frame. Tracing the code, you should be able to find a tilemap for each frame, and from that tilemap, which frames are called, if it's some simple coding going on.

Edited by Celice

Time to reply:

I would suggest you lighten and diversify the shades of the battle palettes. It's far too dark, which makes not only detail disperse, but also the contrast shoot kinda through the roof. At the very least to a distracting level. Lana seems a good shade, though I would slightly brighten her hair, personally.

The palettes seem so dark since I took the colors from some FE5 mugs. They may look better once I also change the generic enemies palette. If they don't, I'll lighten them up until they work.

But as soon as possible get the rest of the mugs over and it'll be awesome looking. I'd also suggest replacing the backdrops for conversations with ones which mimic a similar perspective of the mugs, because they also make the mugs seem slightly out of place. But not much. Though actually, maybe just darken out the palettes for most of them instead--the backdrops--and it might look better. The SNES palettes are inherently darker, due to televisions being the main viewing method of the games you ripped from, while the GBA palettes are a little brighter to work with the lack of back-lighting.

I'll see what I can do about this. I don't know how to change the palettes for the backgrounds, but I guess it is done with a similar process to the palettes of the units.

The map design isn't garbage either, like most publicized Fire Emblem hacks. So it actually looks fun to play in almost every way. There's actually a Fire Emblem hack that's not foreign that I'm looking forward to now XD I would say worry about minor things like graphical style and colors until you've got the basis of the game down. Tidying is easier and quicker to do together. If you try to do it as you go along, you're far more likely to end up forgetting about the project, or not wanting to work much on it. Create a sandbox, play, then tune what you played up into creation.

Thanks about the maps. It took me a while to get them looking good (from this to this).

Oh, one thing I just noticed, Skasaha should be a mercenary, not a myrmidon. His class was as such in FE4.
No, his class was Swordfighter, as was Lakche. In FE4 Swordfighters mostly became Forrests, but a few, like Lakche and Ayra, became Swordmasters.

It wasn't until FE5 that they really had a Myrm-Merc split.

But he should be a merc anyway.

Holyn was a mercenary

Lakche, Skasaha, Ayra and Holyn were all swordfighters in FE4. It wasn't until FE6 where Myrmidons and Mercenarys were really split up. I'll probably keep him as a Myrm that promotes to Hero, while Lakche promotes to Swordmaster. Shanan will still be a SM.

All of their hair is bird.

Do not feed.

You win, man. They're legit. Once you replace them all and update the map sprites, it'll be even more awesome.

I'll change the map sprites as soon as I learn how to. I've been looking for a tutorial on map sprite changing but haven't found one yet.

And now to stop this wall of text, here's a video of the Prologue, showing the Beta Lakche portrait, and the new portraits for Batta and Glass.

Things to add to the prologue:

• Death quotes for the playable units
  • Battle quotes for Batta and Glass
  • Fix the pirate reinforcements (they are supposed to appear from turn 1 to 10, but instead never stop appearing)
  • Change the map sprites for Celice and Lana

If you spot any mispelled words please say so.

A few more screens:

21k9nom.png152c1mg.png2cg1oaq.png

2z9jwna.pngw2f13o.png

• A few changes to Celice's palette
  • Johalva's palette and stats. I'll probably raise his skill by 1 or 2 points if needed.
  • Ending scene of Chapter 1

I wanted to upload also a few pics of Chapter 2, but the game started glitching up for some reason so I can't right now.

I've also been messing around with map sprite insertion, without great results so far. All I want is to take FE8's cleric sprite and use it in FE7, but apparently this is too much for the game.

Hopefully I'll fix the glitches with Chapter 2 tomorrow, since I personally like it quite a lot, and it features the first appearance of a character that wasn't playable in the original FE4.

Edited by Krad

You should be able to just export the animation over and insert the same frames, adjusting pointers if the imported-overworld frames are larger.

At least, that's all I needed to do three or four years ago when I messed around with the games :o

You should be able to just export the animation over and insert the same frames, adjusting pointers if the imported-overworld frames are larger.

At least, that's all I needed to do three or four years ago when I messed around with the games :o

I've been trying to do that but the game keeps crashing after I insert it.

Anyway, I got Chapter 2 to work.

ddkgb7.png

The identity of the mage should be pretty obvious.

Are you repointing the graphics to a different location? If they're larger than the originals' sizes, your new graphics will spill over into the graphics of other units. If you are repointing pointers, also make sure you're not overwriting any actual data, but are repointing to an empty location.

I don't remember anything fancy being with overworld animated frames in the Fire Emblem GBA games :o