Event Hacking for Dummies

Arch

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is definitely better than the last tutorial you made. It explains a lot more.

A question though. Is Opening_Scene and BeginningScene the same thing?

Edited by MagicTiger

Okay.

@TC: You should probably mention the data that villages/houses point to, yes?

Village(0x24,South_village,14,33)

Since this is "for dummies" it would be nice for you to elaborate on what data "South_village" has under it.

Pointers point to whatever you'd like. They're labeled as "pointer" in the template, so if I have:

Village(0x24,South_village,14,33)

That will tell the game to read whatever "South_village" is when the event is executed. Scroll down in the event file, and you should have a corresponding location for the pointer:

South_village:
FADI 5
BACG 0x02
FADU 5
TEX1 0x816
REMA
ITGV IronSword
ENDA

(The event there is just an example, you can construct it however you like).

Although, you've just given me an idea for that recap chapter I never finished. Thanks for the inspiration!

Edited by Rodimus Supreme OVERTROLL

• 1 month later...

There are several macro's that aren't working for me.

All three Character Event macro's are not working

CURF

WEA1

DefeatAll

DefeatBoss

Seize and Sieze

Those are the main problems and I can't attach my own definitions file, it says I need 1 more parameter attached.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

First off, please don't clog up the tutorials with questions (inb4 I get warned for minimodding), not only is there a forum for this, there's a thread for exactly this kind of problem.

Secondly, the template you use means squat, I could write mine from scratch using notepad and it wouldn't make a difference. Sounds like you're forgetting to include EAstdlib, or you're fucking up the parameters.

Post your script, NOT IN HERE.

Edited by Cam

Last time I'm going to answer you in here.

A) One question is too many. Don't clog up this thread.

B) If your parameters are fucked up, EA will give you a "code not found" error. Dunno why NL does that, he just does. For example, "Seize(0x03,8,9)" will give me a "code not found: Seize" error, but "Seize(0x03,8,9,ending_event)" will work perfectly.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

FE8 Scripted Battles.

On the "Action" byte.

"0x40" triggers poison.

"0x80" is Devil (self inflicted damage)

Btw, for the New Event Assembler (9.4):

CMDS = BattleStart

CMDL = BattleCommand(*Command*)

The "Command" being: 0xAABBCCDD

0xAA = (SpecialAction)

0xBB = (Action)

0xCC = (HP)

0xDD = (Combatant)

Yeah, it's flipped. XD

For example, if you wanted the defender (doesn't matter left or right, it's DEFENDER that does the action) to crit for 100 DMG, you would put:

BattleCommand(0x00016401)

And at the end...

BattleCommand(0xFFFFFFFF) = For End Battle, obviously

Also for Special Actions, it DOES NOT seem like there's a Pierce. 0xC0 would be combining the bits of 0x40 and 0x80... and well, that's a "Great Shield" and "Sure Shot" combo.

Also... I've tested it... and Valter DOES NOT have the pierce hit graphic with "0xC0" on "Special Action".

And just like on FE7, you can rig battle results... just replace the FIG1 code with a: WORD 0x3F42 0x0

BattleStart

BattleCommand(0x00020001)

BattleCommand(0xFFFFFFFF)

WORD 0x3F42 0x0

For example, the above code makes it so that any battle entered by the player makes it so that the DEFENDER (enemy) goes first... but also misses. And the battle ends abruptly without the player unit attacking. :P

Edited by shadowofchaos

• 1 month later...

Arch, fix that goddamn [NoAI] thing, I'm fucking sick of getting the same questions every goddamn week. It's in the "Recap & Event Sample (INCOMPLETE)" chapter.

PS: I'm not blaming you for this, just blowing up some steam. This could have been a inconsistency in my part at one point, but I want this fixed!

Edited by Nintenlord

couldn't it be a trivial matter to handle instances of double brackets, either in the macro implementation (if someone puts something that is defined as [stuff] in brackets then they're silently removed - [macro] -> [[stuff]] -> [stuff]) or in the assembly implementation (double brackets are removed as necessary)

That would be extremely patchy workaround that would bite me back even harder in the long run. I already have a few possible uses for lists of lists, so removing them silently would be just another disaster waiting to happen.

• 1 year later...

I have...wait for it... another question

No it isn't about anything hard - I finished the chapter and am now on a path to smooth sailing of completing the hack.

My question is simple

Is it possible, and if it is how do you make an NPC stationary

• 1 month later...

Ballistae

[spoiler=Note for FE6-users]FE6 doesn't have a BallistaData POIN, nor does it have an array for Ballistae. FE6 handles the placement of Ballistae through mapping. Certain tiles (made unique by the existence of a letter embedded into the grass) make Ballistae appear on those tiles.

K = Killer Ballista

I = Iron Ballista

L = Normal Ballista

We've come to the fourth of our five major POIN arrays (each array being a list of events for the five types). Number four is quite easy, and quick to go over: Ballistae.

BLST [XX,YY] type
Coordinates should look quite familiar to you now. "Type" is the only new variable to us, and it's a variable exclusive to Ballistae.

0x34 = Normal Ballista
0x35 = Iron Ballista
0x36 = Killer Ballista
Another small note for our Ballistae array: you need to re-align everything after it. These events have the annoying property of not being divisible by four, and they leave everything after them in the event file in shambles. Here's an example of my Ballistae array:

BallistaData:
BLST [3,5] 0x34 //Normal Ballista
BLST [4,5] 0x36 //Killer Ballista
BLST [6,5] 0x34 //Second Normal Ballista
BLST
ALIGN 4
The ballistae will appear on your map and be fully-functional; however, Archers/Snipers won't automatically mount the ballista at the start of the map. Archers/Snipers will begin using the ballista you placed them on when the Enemy Phase begins for the first time.

Traps

Traps also go under the BallistaData POIN Array. What exactly is a trap? Well, think of FE7's chapter where Hector gets Armads. Remember the tiles that spat poison at your units? That's what is called a "trap." Our knowledge of traps and setting them up with the EA is limited. FE6 doesn't have a BallistaData POIN Array, so I assume traps are linked to a certain tile like Ballistae. FE8's traps are also unknown, so the following information is currently only for FE7.

Since traps are so rarely used, it isn't necessary to read this portion of the tutorial until it is required for your hack (if it is even necessary at all).

[spoiler=Fire Traps]

FIRE [X,Y] 0x0 [1,1]
The coordinates are really the only thing a hacker needs to change. For the second pair of numbers, [1,1], [1,1] is the only value that works. The first number is the first tile from the coordinates that the trap affects, the second number is the last tile in a row that the trap hits. The second parameter is the trap's "type," but 0x0 is the only value ever used in the games.

[spoiler=Poison Gas Traps]

poisontrapsen.png

A poison gas trap in my hack, Elibian Nights.

GAST [X,Y] Direction [1,1]
Coordinates are the coordinates of the gas trap's tile. Direction is pretty self-explanatory, the direction the poison trap is pointed (values for direction are below). The second pair of numbers, [1,1], function just like the fire trap. [1,1] is the only value that works with this

0x0 Left
0x1 Right
0x2 Down
0x3 Up

Actually, FE8 does have traps.

Check chapter 18 with the fire tiles that can be disabled by Colm or Rennac.

It says "Trap disabled".

I'm surprised I remember those traps more than the gorgon hell you get for leaving eggs too long.

Actually, FE8 does have traps.

Check chapter 18 with the fire tiles that can be disabled by Colm or Rennac.

It says "Trap disabled".

I'm surprised I remember those traps more than the gorgon hell you get for leaving eggs too long.

It said that traps are unknown, not that there aren't any.

• 1 year later...