FE7x: Immortal Sword - Part One Complete

BwdYeti

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been playing the hack a lot over the past two days and I've been having a blast with it's engaging characters and story and interesting map design, seeing all the UI improvements you've made I was hoping you guys could take, or at least listen to a request. Could you please add a prompt to the End button that asks you if you are sure you want to end your turn when you still have unused units? I'm saying this after I miss clicked when I meant to check the Units screen and ended up making a bad situation into a restarted map. I've just seen players accidentally do this before and this is my first time doing it so I feel like a good amount of people would benefit from this.

not a hack

How often do you use the unit menu, or anything on the select menu?

We could have very different uses of the select menu, but I have to disagree with your suggestion. The whole point of that option is to speed up the game. You have to navigate to that option and press it, which seems like 2 layer protection. If you're going so fast that you don't pause in between moving and pressing, when you know you're on a menu with a dangerous misclick like that, you probably want to keep that speed as an option.

Although I did try to argue that a universal undo-before-any-info-is-revealed button would not be a hindrance.

Edited by deranger2

On 1/16/2018 at 10:53 AM, Orblet said:

So I've been playing the hack a lot over the past two days and I've been having a blast with it's engaging characters and story and interesting map design, seeing all the UI improvements you've made I was hoping you guys could take, or at least listen to a request. Could you please add a prompt to the End button that asks you if you are sure you want to end your turn when you still have unused units? I'm saying this after I miss clicked when I meant to check the Units screen and ended up making a bad situation into a restarted map. I've just seen players accidentally do this before and this is my first time doing it so I feel like a good amount of people would benefit from this.

B- There's currently a tracker that alerts you to your ready units, seen in the bottom left here:

hWPhQEL.png

B- But maybe we could put something in the options, I'll see what yeti thinks

I just finished the demo recently, and I actually understand why so many people like the game. I'm really fond of the dialogues, not only that they're well written, but they also allow you to understand the context, the personality of each character and the universe, and that's what I appreciate the most about them. I sometimes think that Immortal Sword has the best writing compared to other Fire Emblem hacks and fangames. Also, all the new gameplay mechanics that you added (such as the training, the talk before battles, and the different objectives in some chapters) really make Immortal Sword an original and unforgettable gameplay experience. Not to mention all the new exclusive classes that successfully improve the diversity between each unit. 

The only issue I have with Immortal Sword is Uther. Only this character. Although he has a decent personality, I don't understand why he's so bad in the late chapters of the demo. Compared to Tristan and Eliza, he's a weak unit, so slow that he gets doubled by everyone, he kills nobody due to his low strength, and his claymore isn't even sufficient to eliminate the armored/mounted mobs. Perhaps he's intended to have bad growths (which is quite disappointing), or perhaps he was only RNG-screwed in my game. Despite Uther, the majority of the cast were good units, I personally like Harken. 

Between, is it possible to have the list of the growth rates for the demo characters (maybe I just missed it) ? 

4 hours ago, The man with no name said:

Between, is it possible to have the list of the growth rates for the demo characters (maybe I just missed it) ? 

Growths will likely never be released, but you may have noticed that stats become coloured over time. Greener stats are above their averages for that character (for their current level). Redder ones are below. It's meant to help you figure out who to keep and who to drop and try out next playthrough. If you've got a very orange and red Uther, you just had shitty luck with him. Otherwise he might just be underleveled (He should be level 20 by the end of Ch12). Either way, play it again- the game plays arguably better on subsequent playthroughs, imo. The trainees will outclass him early on because of the large number of levels they can gain initially, but Uther has better growths rates than them which will eventually help him claw his way back to top tier.
The game has a dedicated writer, who, yeah, is good. Character driven I think is the term. Separate creator/programmer/project head and writer seems to be working. 

13 hours ago, deranger2 said:

He should be level 20 by the end of Ch12

I don't think that's gonna happen unless you seriously grind him.

One thing that really irks me is that you put recruitable chars (first Bennet, then Karin) in a situation where they get Reaver-WTD right off the bat. I mean, recruiting Bennet would've been much less of a pain if he had ANYTHING but an axereaver while being chased by mercenaries. Similarly, the first enemy Karin fights is a mercenary with Lancereaver, and even a prepromote has problems fighting with -40 Hit/-6MT (if I recall Weapon Triangle bonuses/penalties correctly). It's annoying as hell, especially since you can't quickly heal Karin after recruiting her since Renewal Staff can't do that. I hope this trend stops in later chapters.

As far as I can see, Uther fall into the same hole Eliwood does - he is too balanced, which means he is liable to get RNG-screwed, especially with lower growths and no empty-level-protection.

9 hours ago, Kruggov said:

One thing that really irks me is that you put recruitable chars (first Bennet, then Karin) in a situation where they get Reaver-WTD right off the bat. 

As far as I can see, Uther fall into the same hole Eliwood does - he is too balanced, which means he is liable to get RNG-screwed, especially with lower growths and no empty-level-protection.

First a disclaimer: I didn't design the chapters. Would feel like I was a much more productive member of the community if I did. But I do talk to the creators a lot on the discord, and have played the released content many times over many iterations, so hopefully some of this is insightful.

The reavers are a strong incentive to get to those characters quickly, and puts the onus on you to save them, without tarnishing the stats of the recruited characters or making the enemies around them too strong for your units. If you can get Uther to Bennet quickly and toss him almost any other lance, he can immediately kick the ass of those two Gendarmes. Otherwise, you've got to extract him quickly, talk to them, and then he can start contributing. Kirin's predicament also puts the onus on you to save her without making her a weak unit (and also showcases the usefulness of Dash). Citizen units don't make the best choices- that's why you need to recruit them. Save them from theirselves.

Uther has higher growths that most units in the game, bar the pre-promotes. You can see this mechanically as he'll always get 3-4 stats in training, instead of 2-3. (If you're really worried about his growths, you can level him primarily there if you play again). Anyways, point is he isn't really any more or less prone to being screwed over than any other unit. You can argue that's bad as he's non-optional, but that's just sort of the nature of growth in Fire Emblem. It's part of what makes playthroughs diverse.

Edited by deranger2

• 4 weeks later...

B- Bennet and Kirin are timed side-objectives, much like saving the villages in ch7 from the bandits. They're there to get you out of your comfort zone and incentivise you to move quickly, rather than turtle or grind. We feel that kind of slow playstyle makes the game too easy, and thus, a worse experience

B- If Bennet and Kirin could adequately defend themselves for the entire chapter, there would be no incentive to hurry to reach them, and there would be no point in having them there

• 3 months later...

So, I'm not sure if this is the right place to as this question or not but...I've just recently started playing this fan game (it's AMAZING by the way, I'm especially blown away by all of the new Sprite work), but I am a little confused as to why on some chapters like 4 and 6 it pops up with a "previous chapters" message. Am I selecting a team? Why does it give me an option for 1 and 1x or 4 and 4x? 

On 10.06.2018 at 7:36 AM, roguelikemike said:

So, I'm not sure if this is the right place to as this question or not but...I've just recently started playing this fan game (it's AMAZING by the way, I'm especially blown away by all of the new Sprite work), but I am a little confused as to why on some chapters like 4 and 6 it pops up with a "previous chapters" message. Am I selecting a team? Why does it give me an option for 1 and 1x or 4 and 4x? 

I was confused by the numbering of the chapters as well. Just play them in order they are given.

IIRC, The choice between 1/1x is whether you take data from 1x (you completed it), or 1 (the game will consider 1x skipped) if choosing for the current team. For teams that are not controlled at the time, the only time I remember the choice having an impact is in Ch.4 (where you fight Tristan's team, and they have the same stats they had at the end of 1/1x). Just to be safe, choose the latest chapters.

Edited by Kruggov

On 6/10/2018 at 12:36 AM, roguelikemike said:

10 hours ago, Kruggov said:

I was confused by the numbering of the chapters as well. Just play them in order they are given.

IIRC, The choice between 1/1x is whether you take data from 1x (you completed it), or 1 (the game will consider 1x skipped) if choosing for the current team. For teams that are not controlled at the time, the only time I remember the choice having an impact is in Ch.4 (where you fight Tristan's team, and they have the same stats they had at the end of 1/1x). Just to be safe, choose the latest chapters.

The previous chapter selection in 6 (and 8, for that matter) is a programming work around, currently, I believe. Neither of the previous chapter selections in both those chapters matter, only 4 and 9 matter.

Fastest answers to questions can be found on discord.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why are there no combat animations on the enemy turn? I have found no option to turn them on and it's rather upsetting because I love the work on these great battle animations. I just want to see them, but I only can on my own phase.

Look harder, the option exists. In fact, I'm pretty sure it shows every animation by default so you must have changed it without realizing it.

17 hours ago, KevinskyHaaz said:

Why are there no combat animations on the enemy turn? I have found no option to turn them on and it's rather upsetting because I love the work on these great battle animations. I just want to see them, but I only can on my own phase.

You put animation setting to 2, right? You get backgrounds regardless of setting, 1 is all anims, 2 is only player phase.

One other really quick question, is there a way to turn off the blackish outline around every map? I've fixed everything else to my liking aesthetically, but that line still kind of eggs me. I appreciate the help!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there anyplace I can view the growth rates? Pretty much all of my units in Uther's party (Except Isadora, who is god tier) got strength screwed, and I want to know How horribly unlucky I am (yes I know the stats turn red when they're bellow average, but that's not specific enough).