The Road to Ruin [Complete] [v3.0.3 Released!]

Primefusion

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Do you like mods? How about completed ones?

DJkfmw0.png

The Road to Ruin v3.0

Yes, that's right. It's done. This patch has 23 chapters of content, plus a few interludes, with the final chapter being chapter 20.

1xhy08T.png

Fair warning: This is more of an open beta than a be-all-end-all release. Please report bugs and glitches as they pop up.

This release has been a long time coming. I started working on this mod all the way back in 2009, and it's just now
seeing a final release. For perspective: I started and finished college before I finished this project.

I'm not sure what else to say, so I'm keeping the fanfare to a minimum.
Your previous save files should be compatible (hopefully, can't guarantee it).

I hope you all enjoy!

5 hours ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Playing it right now. Any tips?

Money is a little on the tighter said, so watch your funds.

2 hours ago, Attila said:

Adding to my LP List

Dammit Prime, why'd you wait until after I started the vote to release this?

This is what you get for doing a best of 2017 in November

So I just tried this hack aaaaaannddd......it crashed on Chapter 1.  I only just got past the prologue and then 2 turns into Chapter 1, the game just froze.  Had to force quit OpenEmu because I couldn't quit the game.  I don't think this is an issue with the rom because I have used this FE 7 ROM for plenty of other FE ROM hacks, so my conclusion is that there is something up with the ups file for the hack (It even gave my patcher tool, MultiPatch, trouble.  That hasn't happen before either).  I would recommend looking into this.

As for the hack itself, from what little I've been able to play, one thing that has bugged me is that the character portraits look odd because there are some only pronounced lines located where the corner of their mouths are, the most distracting being this one:

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 10.19.48 PM.png        (I don't think that Ava should be sporting a mustache).  So I would look into smoothing that out.

Edited by XIII Hearts

47 minutes ago, XIII Hearts said:

So I just tried this hack aaaaaannddd......it crashed on Chapter 1.  I only just got past the prologue and then 2 turns into Chapter 1, the game just froze.  Had to force quit OpenEmu because I couldn't quit the game.  I don't think this is an issue with the rom because I have used this FE 7 ROM for plenty of other FE ROM hacks, so my conclusion is that there is something up with the ups file for the hack (It even gave my patcher tool, MultiPatch, trouble.  That hasn't happen before either).  I would recommend looking into this.

Things work fine for me. If anything, I'd say it's MultiPatch that's the problem. I recommend NUPS.
Chapter 1 has been available for over 3 years and you're the first to report a crash.

3 hours ago, Primefusion said:

Things work fine for me. If anything, I'd say it's MultiPatch that's the problem. I recommend NUPS.
Chapter 1 has been available for over 3 years and you're the first to report a crash.

Well now the hack just decided to start working for me for some odd reason.  Well at least I can actually play it now.

I found a typo in the beginning cutscene of chapter 3.  "remained" should be "remain".

Also, since characters can have "Talk" conversations with certain characters on each map, it would be nice to see who can speak to who.

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 2.25.48 AM.png

And now it crashed on chapter 4.  And after I force quit the emulator and started up the hack again, it brought me back to the prologue.  I don't think I'll be able to actually finish the game because of this.

Any chance you can email me the working ROM that you use?  I'm on a Mac and can't use NUPS so I would like to play a ROM patched with that tool to see if it really is MultiPatch's fault.  If it happens again, I'll be convinced that it is more a fault of the UPS file being wonky.

Edit:  Actually, don't reply just yet.  I've got one last thing to try.  OpenEmu has two GBA cores: mGBA and VisualBoyAdvanced.  So far I have been using mGBA, so now I'm gonna try the latter one.  If the problem doesn't go away, then I'll let you know.

Edited by XIII Hearts

8 hours ago, XIII Hearts said:

And now it crashed on chapter 4.  And after I force quit the emulator and started up the hack again, it brought me back to the prologue.  I don't think I'll be able to actually finish the game because of this.

Any chance you can email me the working ROM that you use?  I'm on a Mac and can't use NUPS so I would like to play a ROM patched with that tool to see if it really is MultiPatch's fault.  If it happens again, I'll be convinced that it is more a fault of the UPS file being wonky.

Sorry, mate. SF has a pretty strict policy on asking for ROMs (I'm trying to save you from the ban hammer).

5 hours ago, Teky said:

I Crashed in chapter 3 when the Boss went into dialog for double formation (or something) she then moved into the mountains, then the textures glitched out and it crashed

I've got a fix for this. Download the newest patch here. Apply to a fresh ROM and copy your save file over.

1 hour ago, DemonStryker said:

Oh hey, I just found a bug when you recruit O'Riley at chapter 8. He can't move, not even at chapter 9. He simply doesn't have any move, even though he can attack if someone is inside his range

I can't seem to reproduce this. What emulator and patching program do you use?

So there's an oversight in chapter 16: the ultimate goal is to move Ava to the escape point, but you can enter the chapter without Ava in your party. Please make her a mandatory deployment here.

2 hours ago, X-Naut said:

So there's an oversight in chapter 16: the ultimate goal is to move Ava to the escape point, but you can enter the chapter without Ava in your party. Please make her a mandatory deployment here.

Side effect of me changing my mind 3/4ths of the way through development. Re-download the patch from either the OP or my previous post (v3.0.1).

19 hours ago, Primefusion said:

This is what you get for doing a best of 2017 in November

Last Time I prepare early. TBH wasn't expecting anymore older games to update. Honorable mention for rushing

Completed the rest of hack(chapter 11 to end). everything up for Merovech is a reasonable challenge. When i got to Merovech and his chapter, it felt anticlimactic for a Final Chapter and boss fight. I felt the plot did a good job of clearing things up in a presentable manner. No complaints there.

I did notice  that Calista had no death quote. Didnt find any other bugs besides that.

39 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Completed the rest of hack(chapter 11 to end). everything up for Merovech is a reasonable challenge. When i got to Merovech and his chapter, it felt anticlimactic for a Final Chapter and boss fight. I felt the plot did a good job of clearing things up in a presentable manner. No complaints there.

Part of the reason might be that I had most of the reinforcements commented out for testing and forgot to change them back... Palm -> Face

20 minutes ago, Primefusion said:

Part of the reason might be that I had most of the reinforcements commented out for testing and forgot to change them back... Palm -> Face

just have ifdefs that make it so if debug is defined then all enemy groups are empty and whenever you dont need to debug anymore undefine debug and recompile, buildfile master race