Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 24x: Fires of Liberation

Phoenix

Home Free

With the chimeras shielding them from the riders, and the riders themselves being picked off a few at a time by various siege attacks, they were able to get away. The chimeras dispersed from them near the palace, and Lev called over for Irina to remove the streamer from Krinkov's tail. Once she did that, it became apparent what Lev was planning on doing next.

Irina: You're heading back?

Lev: Yeah ... those riders keep coming because their leader keeps rallying them. If we don't stop him, they're going to keep trying to bite us in the ass until the end of this battle. I'm not facing him directly just yet. I'm going to circle around with a few guys and use the citadels for cover. When I get an opening, I'm going to take him down.

Irina: Please be careful.

Lev: I'd ask you to come with me but ... you might need to prove yourself to Ivanko in some other way, I think. For now do me a favor and calm your brother down ... assuming he's not already out cold. Keep Tas and this lady out of trouble too, alright?

Irina: No problem.

He smiled and then took off again circling around to gather up a few more riders while the rest in the area prepared to breach the palace.

Edited by Phoenix

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Great! Thank you for the ride and the protection," Raechel mentioned to the others before heading off tolook for anyone with so much as a scratch or a bruise to heal.

Tas sighed in relief. "Well, that's over..." Returning his attention to Irina, the courier somewhat sheepishly mentioned, "I hope we didn't cause too much trouble... I think Raechel just wants to help people, from what she told me. Though I'm glad you're okay. What were those things that were flying with us? Oh, I'm sorry. Lev said something about Isotov, didn't he? Mind if I go with you?" He wasn't sure what to say, really. He'd never been in a war before and everone seemed to know what they were doing.

Irina

Irina: I guess it's not too much trouble ... as long as she doesn't get in their way or anything. Come with me. I'll explain on the way.

Irina didn't need to bother with Nikita's reins. The wyvern had nothing to do but follow her rider around anyway. Beside that, Irina was heading in Victor's general direction, which she certainly didn't mind at all. Nay a closer look at the fire wyvern slayer would be nice in fact.

Irina: Those flying things are chimeras. Ixion's been making them in preparation for this battle. From the looks of things we're about ready to breach the palace. IMs, even mounted ones like wyvern riders are always trained to fight on foot as well as while mounted. I guess this was part of the reason since we'll have a seriously hard time moving around in their while on our wyverns. It wouldn't be impossible, just a hindrance to us more than to them. Plus there's likely a lot of mages in there and we'll just end up funneling ourselves for them instead of hitting them full force.

She couldn't quite see Iso anywhere but he had to be around somewhere, right?

The explanation was somewhat astonishing. Ixion made thiving things? Tas couldn't believe it, but he'd seen the chimeras up-close himself. Things that baffling, however, were best left out of mind for the time being. "Are you sure you're okay?" he found himself asking, "You may not be hurt, but...what about emotionally? You're not acting like yourself very much. Maybe I'm naive for saying this, but...you seem really bothered." (This war is unsettling, to say the least... Irina must be feeling it's impact, too. She looks really conflicted, though... It's like she doesn't know what she wants to feel. Or maybe she's just trying to be objective and bottling up her true feelings?)

As Tas walked off, Namid curled up, nervous. He couldn't walk very well, so it was probably best just to stay where he was leaving him for the time being. All this fighting...Namid never thought the wyverns they were delivering would wind up in places like this, but that seemed to be the case. Well...not all. The ones they sent to humans like the ones all around, though, looked similar the the wyverns they were partnered with. Though, Namid had gotten to knew a few of them... They probably were better off in places like this. Namid was raised to be a courier wyvern, though, so he wasn't comfortable in this environment at all, even though the climate didn't bother him so much.

Irina

Irina: Emotionally?

The wyvern lord kept her pace but thought on that, trying to provide some kind of answer to hr worried friend.

Irina: I ... I just want to get this over with, I guess. There's no getting around it, and there was no preventing it, so I just want to get through it as quickly as possible.

Tas nodded, understanding. "I get it. You're trying to just grit your teeth and get through it. Well...I know I can't get you out of this. There's really nothing I can do to help... Though...you should know that the whole reason I came was to do what I could to help you with this. I know it bothers you, so I'll be an emotional support as best as I can be, even if I can't fight. If there's anything I can do, please let me know. I hate feeling useless," the courier replied, offering a bit of a weak smile. He really hoped his presence and support meant something since that really was all he cound offer at the moment.

Irina

Irina actually slowed to a stop as Tas replied, that suddenly taking presidence.

Irina: I know it's really dangerous but I am glad you're here with me, Tas. I may not look it right now because of all the fire, avalanches, and swarms of enemies circling about but I am.

She gave a smile in return after lifting up her visor.

Isotov

Mercenary: Holy crap ...

Mercenary2: Okay enough of this, just lay him on his stomach or something.

Mercenary: I mean seriously ... what the hell?

Iso was barely standing and the look on his face suggested he had just withstood a physical beating.

Iso: Y-you hit like a g-girl.

Mercenary: Lev told us to put you to bed for awhile if you gave us trouble. He said not to go gentle. Damn was he serious. Three hits to the gut and you're still talking smack? <Tough bastard.>

Mercenary2: Aim higher?

Mercenary: Yeah let's try that, because I'm sick of you trying to get loose and talking down to us. You'd think ten years traveling would teach you to be less of a rebellious little twit, but no.

The mercenary was just about to deliver one hell of a roundhouse kick to Iso's face when the second mercenary stopped him by putting a hand on his shoulder.

Mercenary2: Whoa-whoa. Sister's not far away.

He gestured toward her. She was hard to make out, but he had been keeping an eye out for her since he saw the recent landings.

Mercenary: Hmph.

The courier was both relieved and genuinely happy to hear what Irina said and to see her smile. "I'll just keep supporting you from wherever I am, then. And don't worry; I'll stay out of the way and keep myself safe for the mostpart." One less thing to worry about was always welcome, he knew. A bit of red somewhat in the distance caught his eye. "I think I found Isotov," he mentioned, pointing towards the fire sage.

Sibling [REDACTED]

Irina: Iso?

Sure enough, her brother was close by ... and tied up? Irina rushed over and the two mercenaries held him up for her. He grinned at his sister a bit.

Iso: I'm glad you're okay.

Irina: Better than your'e doing! What happened?!

Mercenary: Lev's orders.

Irina: >_>

Tas remained quiet as he followed Irina and simply played the bystander as she handled her brother's condition. He was somewhat surprised to hear that it had been Lev who'd ordered this to occur. He had no idea why he'd do that. Yes, he still found the ways of mercenaries somewhat confusing. "Why would he order something like that?" Tas found himself asking.

When everyone not in the general's personal attachment had vacated their position at the engines, there'd been another couple of requests of Lt. Frederikov. Iris had deftly prepared to pass Borodin the dolls, but it seemed that situations up top were progressing much more rapidly than anticipated, as the doll linked with the enemy second lit up, and the general's plans were interrupted for additional correspondence on that end. The immense roaring and gouts of flame from Orteiga had ceased, and she took that as a sign, figuring it was almost certainly related. While Borodin had returned addressing her subordinates, the business with Uspensky and Markov placed on hold for the time being, Iris placed a hand over her heart. The old lizard was finished, huh? He had been a huge obstacle, when their current path had been decided, and his removal should have been reason to rejoice, yet things felt bitter. As a user of fire, though her flames were so insignificant when compared to his, she'd looked up to him in ways, and couldn't help but mourn his passing. So she paid him what little respect she could.

By the time Borodin had finished her current conversation, Iris had already returned to standard posture, and when the new decision to re-man the ballistae with those remaining in the personal unit, or to otherwise engage in long-range aerial combat was given, she nodded. The general was foremost to act, quickly heading to one of the engines herself, prepared to trigger its release mechanism. Iris readied her own weapon of choice, Meteor, and remembered the spirit dolls that had been requested before. About to interject when the order to fire was given, she pushed it aside for the moment, conjuring a large flaming sphere from the heavens, which roared on a downward trajectory toward the targets, approaching from the rear to avoid chances of friendly fire for the incoming mercenaries who they were supposed to be supporting.

As everyone had launched their first wave of projectiles, while preparations for wave two were being made, Lt. Frederikov finally got the chance to pull alongside and remind the general, one of her important duties. "<Sir, did you still need those connections to Uspensky and Markov? If so, the four of us,>" nodding to the two on the ballistae and to Ryzhanov as she said this, "<We can continue to cover things on this front while you coordinate as necessary with anyone else who might be persuaded.>"

OOC: I know he's not dead, yes.

Edited by Balcerzak

Sibs

Mercenary: Eh, Iso was making a big fuss about going to help you and Lev "wasn't having it". He told him to stay put and when that didn't work, he left him with us.

Iso: ...

Irina: I'm here now, so you can untie him.

They did just that and Iso rubbed his arms, the places that were feeling the roughness of the ropes the most.

Iso: So what, now?

Irina: The battle might be over soon so, I don't know.

"<Thank you, Frederikov,>" Borodin replied, taking one last shot and stepping down from the ballista. "<A few more volleys ought to be enough, anyway; it looks like the mercenaries'... creations have things covered.>" She took the dolls and walked away from the ballista. "<Get me General Makalov,>" she said into the first one, assuming that it would be picked up by some assistant. "<It's Borodin.>"

----------------------------------------------------

The group Glinka had sent to the roof was slow to approach, wary of the mercenaries who were beginning to take the space for their own. They set down their wyverns and pegasi at some distance from the mercenaries, being especially careful of Victor. "<We're Borodin's,>" the leader shouted on approach. "<We lay aside our arms.>"

With interest she noted that there were apparently also mercenary healers assigned to the dragon. "<We're under orders to heal you, if you'll agree not to fight,>" she told Orteiga. She turned to the mercenary healers. "<I take it you've been ordered similarly?>"

Makalov

Aleksey: <Borodin? What the hell are we supposed to do now?! A citadel fell to pieces, the other three are crumbling like egg shells, Zolkov's battalion is being routed as we speak, Orteiga is down, a giant worm just blew out fifteen floors on the west side of the palace and killed almost fifty people, and these mercenaries have lost no momentum whatsoever! What the hell are we up against here?! Demons?! My men cannot hold a barricade against goddamn demons!>

The Dragon

Healer: Hold on, hold on.

One of the healers stepped forward.

Healer: Ivanko told us not to heal him until the battle is over and the emperor is dead. We can't trust this thing not to turn on us.

Orteiga lied their mostly silent. He seemed to be considering his options. Of course, his thoughts were interrupted by a coughing fit which saw even more blood spill to the ground. The healers were surprised he was still alive.

Healer: Good god, he's still alive even after puking his guts up like that?

Healer2: We don't want him to die for nothing, but the safety of our people comes first here.

Healer: He might not be a threat anymore if he's lost that much blood. It's a bit risky though waiting too much longer though.

Iso and Irina couldn't hear the discussion between the mercenaries and the Zaftran defectors, but others nearby could hear it and word about the dragon spread to them pretty quickly.

Mercenary: We really ought to just kill that thing. If we heal it now, it'll attack us and then we'll be back to square one, only with more casualties this time around since we're all huddled together on this freezing palace roof. Isn't that dragon buddies with the loyalists anyway? Even after the battle's over he'll still probably want to kill us. Does revenge ring any bells here? I seriously think we should just kill the thing and save ourselves the trouble.

Tas knew the might that wyverns already posessed. Dragons, however, were just plain ludisrous in how powerful they were. So when he overheard what one of the mercenaries were saying, he had to agree. It was probably better just to kill it since Tas only knew dragons to be really smart, really big, really powerful, elementally-enhanced bull wyverns that would cause more destruction than they ought. But then a stray thought came to his mind: Raechel would probably not see it that way, based on how fervant she'd been about getting into the battle to heal people. With that thought, he paled a little. (Oh my... What have I done, bringing her along?) He didn't want to interrupt Irina and Isotov, so he just mentioned to them, "I'm going to go look for Raechel before she decides healing the dragon would be a good idea. She has a...special kind of staff that can heal from a distance; I don't remember what it's called." With that and a little wave, Tas headed back towards Namid. The wyvern's help would be most appeciated in this endeavor...

"<Just get out of the way,>" Borodin replied. "<Have your men withdraw from the fighting and get your healers working on any and all wounded. If the mercenaries ask, you're answering to me. The emperor is going to fall; it's just a matter of when.>" She did not break the connection, but paused to call off her unit. "<We're headed for the throne room,>" she ordered, signaling for them to cease fire. As her unit formed up behind her, she turned towards the nearest door. Despite the mercenaries' victories so far, she knew this part was not going to be easy.

-------------------------------------------

"<Our original orders were to heal him if we could put him to sleep,>" the leader clarified, indicating a sleep staff slung across her back along with the physic staff she usually carried. "<The general doesn't want to kill him if we can avoid it. Orteiga, would you be willing to negotiate once this is all over?>"

Orteiga

Orteiga: Once all a fight for is lost ... perhaps, but until then, only death's impending sting impedes me.

Mercenary: ... what did he say?

Merc!Healer: He's dying and can barely move, otherwise he would be killing us right now.

Mercenary: Ah.

OOC:

Will have to write the next part of the battle some other time, currently being rebelled against by body on all relevant fronts, including scene block(like writer's block but only relating to this).

• 2 weeks later...

Their Final Preparations

Once the mercenaries were fully organized again, the main force assembled, ready to storm into the palace from its uppermost level. Elsewhere, the other gigasi had unceremoniously hawked up their passengers out into the blistering cold, both mercenaries encased in secure pods, and chimeras that had otherwise been in comas. The chimeras awoke before the mercenaries emerged and began fanning out like attack dogs, securing the areas. It wasn't long before the mercenaries on the ground caught sight of wyvern riders flying down from the palace to pick them up. They wouldn't be the main force they supposed, but being reinforcements wasn't bad either, so long as they won in the end.

It wasn't until the first group of canus chimeras was flown up to the fortress that Ixion was ready to begin. He deemed them necessary for effectively completing his part of the mission at least ...

Their Final Stand

Nothing but unfortunate developments after unfortunate developments. Ivanko was coming, and the only way to stop him was with his own blade, Denisov realized. Rising from his throne, he walked a short distance across the room to meet a servant who had brought and offered him his sword, a rather large sword that the servant was troubled carrying in formal fashion. Taking the sword, Denisov closed his helmet's visor and took a deep breathe.

Reunited

Ivan eventually found the person he was looking for in a room where some of the nobles and even a few of the young royals were being kept. When she saw him, she rushed over, a young blonde woman with an ideal figure, and a beautiful dress. Some people were surprised by her running into his arms like she did.

Maryana: Ivan! I'm so glad that you made it.

Ivan: Yes, I am too, but listen ... Ivanko is bringing all of his power to bear against us and I don't think the Emperor can win this battle.

Maryana: <Impossible.> Ivan, what do you mean?

Ivan: I've seen enough to know. We ... should speak outside.

He led her out of the room and into the hallway. Lo and behold there were guards standing around. He wanted to be alone with her for at least a minute, so he led her far enough down the halls to not be overheard right away.

Ivan: Listen ... we need to get out of here. Please, Maryana. Come with me.

Maryana: Ivan. Please, you joined us because you believed in the Emperor. Don't abandon him now.

He was touched by those words more than he ever thought he could be, and had to stop to think for a moment. How could she have gotten to him so easily? He knew they couldn't win at this point, and keeping her here and staying himself was suicide. Ixion would likely kill him, and he wasn't sure what would happen to Maryana if he learned that most of his reason for betraying them lied with her ...

Ivan: Maryana, I ... I do believe in the Emperor's cause. I understand that we have to consolidate and defeat the Lord before we rebuild Zaftra, but ... our belief in that is not enough to spare us from Ivanko ... or Ixion. Please, just ... just let me get you away from here. I'll return to fight if that's what you want, but I can't lose you here, not after everything I've been through. P-please ...

Maryana: ...

Ivan: <Please, Maryana ...>

Phase One: Break the Line

Inside the halls, Makalov's barricade was in disarray. They were going to be the first to get knocked off when the IMs came through. It wasn't long before the mercenaries came into view. What they weren't expecting was their solid defense. That was right, the mercenaries had a solid defense in their advance. The front line were all holding up large shields that nothing short of a siege engine was getting through. The defending Zaftrans didn't have any was of getting around the shields until the IMs removed them and began attacking, but by then, they would have already gained enough momentum to smash through the barricade. Makalov finally caved in under tension and gave the order.

Makalov: (We've already lost ...) <F-f ... FALL BACK, DAMMIT!!! We're not going to die for nothing, do you understand?! FALL. BAAAAACK!!!>

OOC:

Figured out enough of the current situation to get at least this much down.

Edited by Phoenix

After a stop in the door station to shed too-heavy overcoats and don regular armor (the military had got the process down to a science, and it was quickly completed), Borodin and her unit entered the chaos of the palace. Her own soldiers had largely vanished from the halls, as per her orders; other units fought the mercenaries. It was possible that Borodin could order some of them down, but she did not want to make herself a target before she had even reached her destination.

Carefully, but as fast as possible, she made her way to one of the servants' passages. The warren-like maze of passages made its way throughout the whole palace, and it was not exempt from fighting, but it was much clearer than the halls proper. Grimly she led her unit through, exiting into one of the halls directly outside the throne room. The fighting had not reached here yet, but it was only a matter of time before the mercenaries arrived. The hall contained numerous members of the imperial guard, ready to carry out their duty.

"<Get cover before anything else,>" she instructed her ranged fighters, about to exit the corridor they'd come by. A pair of guards had stood waiting at the end of it, ready to summon reinforcements if the mercenaries appeared; appearing as an ally, Borodin had managed to dispatch them quietly before they could sound the alarm. "<Once you're situated, we'll go in.>"

Phase Two: Overwhelm The Enemy

Makalov's men withdrew as speedily as they could, much to the dismay of those still under orders to hold the line. It was a one sided battle that saw all of the barricades broken down in seconds. It wasn't until numerous armored knights stepped forward to push back that the mercenaries lost any momentum. Feeling that they were deep enough inside, Ivanko gave the order, and the front line shield wielders opened up two of the shields parting themselves like doors that Ivanko and Ixion promptly stepped out through.

Ixion immediately opened up with a shot of dark energy that blew one of the knights away while Ivanko cut another down with his sword. Right after this, over a dozen canine chimeras leaped over the shield wielders from behind and pounced on the remaining knights. Of the forces there, about a third were falling back by then.

Phase Three: The Royals

Ixion: I'll find the royals. If I finish that up quickly enough, I'll meet you at the throne room.

Ivanko: Good hunting.

Ixion took the canine chimeras with him and proceeded down a different path, while Ivanko took the main force and began slashing a path to the throne room. Anyone in the hallways that stood in the way was viciously mauled to death by the chimeras flanking Ixion. He hadn't wasted another attack since the initial breach and didn't plan on doing so.

There wasn't much cover in the hall; ornamentation was not provided to cover for potential assassins in a place so ruled by paranoia. Borodin's healer bought time, lighting up the hall with a blinding flash while the general and her unit shielded their eyes. The pairs of archers and mages ducked out, finding what little cover they could, and began to provide covering fire. Flanked by her pair of lance-wielders, with her assassin zipping about somewhere or other, Borodin started on the first of the guards.

The initial assignation of guards was not hard to bring down as they stumbled about blindly, but they were not quiet, and another wave quickly followed them. Borodin's unit held together, Grigori switching between healing and offense when necessary. She was not worried for their safety, but this was going to take a while, Borodin thought as her blade bit into yet another guard. She would have preferred to avoid killing the guards as well, but the imperial guards were known for fanatical loyalty, and would only make a smooth transition harder after the royal family fell.

Over the din of fighting, she could hear more distant shouts. "<Company's coming!>" she barked to her unit, beginning to turn her slow progress toward the source of the shouting. In the likely event that it was the mercenaries, it would be useful to get in a word if they got a lull in the fighting.

Irina's Gambit

Irina still had a problem. She hadn't yet shown Ivanko anything that would convince him to let her stay with the crimson brigade. If she didn't do something by the end of the battle, this frozen wasteland of a capital would be her new home. Iso wasn't thinking about any of this, and she knew he wouldn't since he wouldn't let Ivanko keep her here anyway. He would just fight him for her freedom. Turning to him, she spoke up.

Irina: Iso, I'm running out of time.

Iso: What?

Irina: I have to do something ... something to prove to him that I'm stronger than I used to be.

Iso: ... please tell me you're not going to charge the front lines and get yourself blasted by mages. This isn't really the time to be playing a hero. If Ivanko doesn't let us go back together, I'll think of something.

Irina: Like what?

Iso: I don't know ... but I will think of something. We're leaving here together.

Irina: Mmm ...

Thinking hard, she finally reached a decision. Before saying anything though, she grabbed Nikita's reins.

Irina: I'm going in after them. You can come with if you want, but be careful. The best thing I can do right now is fight alongside him. If I can do that and stay alive, I think that'll be enough to show him, and you won't have to do anything crazy.

Iso: This is a really bad ideaaaa ....

The Hunt

Using his chimeras, Ixion assaulted the lower levels of the palace. The sectors housing the servants and noble families were heavily guarded, but all quickly overwhelmed. Ixion made a point not to kill anyone who didn't raise arms against them or shield his targets, but whenever one of the royal family was sniffed out by the scaly blood hounds, they were gruesomely mauled to death by the beasts. This occurred repeatedly, with each royal family member being dragged down and shredded by teeth and claws while Ixion surveyed the area, paying little attention to the massacres.

During his search, he noticed that the nobles were scattering in all directions trying to escape, and to make matters worse, it gave the last few royals remaining cover, cover they used to escape themselves. Fortunately for Ixion, they made the mistake of staying together and picking a hiding place nearby. His hounds tracked them to a room whose door was being sealed by a desperate smelting technique. He didn't know how many were inside, but there hadn't been any killings in about five minutes ... so there could only be a few left.

With one shot, that he took ten seconds to gather the energy for, he blew the doorway clear of obstructions, and inadvertently killed the royal blooded fire mage still trying to seal it. He lay dead, crushed under the heavy debris, and several children were huddled together in a corner with a teenage girl. She was about all the protection they had left, but all she had were words of contempt for the dark druid.

Girl: Why ... why are you doing this? You don't have to kill all of us, you know these children won't start another rebellion! So ... why?

Ixion: When Ivanko takes the throne, Zaftra will be at the beginning of a very long rebuilding process. We're going to be weak for a lot longer than I had hoped, and despite what you say, child heirs are excellent figurehead pawns, and I'd rather deal with it sooner rather than later. We can't have any of the noble houses betraying us by using the royal survivors to rally people. Zaftra must be unified, and the only way to do that is to take away everything the loyalist can cling to, it matters not the age or gender. If the Orlov regime is all that remains, it will speed things up considerably, and we'll only have to deal with outside threats over the next decade or so.

Girl: For gods' sake, they're just children! I understand if you want to kill me, but please ... just leave them alone ... if you have any humanity at all, just ... let them live.

She broke into tears as she held her younger siblings. The chimeras had already surrounded them, and Ixion was standing there, just watching them.

Ixion: ... mercy ... is something that ... ... that I can't grant you.

Girl: Please ... please! I'm begging, just spare them!

Ixion: N-no. Make your peace.

He told them to make their peace and said it coldly as he turned slightly to the side and looked away. The chimeras began closing in in short order. The girl immediately buried her head in with her siblings and cried with them. She couldn't look up at the creatures about to slaughter them all.

Girl: It'll be over soon ... it'll all be over soon ...

A slight grimace crossed Ixion's face just as the first chimera reared back to pounce on them. He quickly put out his hand making a gesture for it to stop. Complying instantly, it backed off and the others held as well. Ixion then held out his hand toward the little group of royals and a small amount of energy began to manifest. It took thirty seconds, and the royals never looked up again, thankfully. When it was strong enough to kill them all instantly, he released it. The blast didn't leave anything behind to plague him, but that didn't seem to be enough.

Ixion: ... my training ... ... has failed me ....

He knelt down and his chimeras gathered around him, one even coming so close that Ixion placed his hand on its head and looked it in the eyes.

Ixion: I'm ... in so much p-pain ....

He held his head down letting his hair fall over his eyes. Some of the chimeras mimicked the behavior being linked to his mind, a few even going so far as to whine.

Relentless Assault

Ivanko's group quickly met up with those who had breached the western wall inside the gigas. Having all been set loose, they bolstered Ivanko's ranks and their numbers nearly doubled. Indoors, that meant certain victory if they kept up their momentum, and with Ivanko slicing up the enemy's barricades, that momentum remained.

The Zaftrans that were still fighting and not explicitly guarding the areas near the throne room, had begun to devise a plan to halt the advance, but they needed more time. One of the front line commanders requested three brave volunteers for a mission that could very well end the battle, but even if the tactic failed, they would have at least taken the mercenaries down a notch. The volunteers were all given severely overcharged fire stones, and sent into the battle. It was a suicide bombing, and the commander's last stand before being overrun.

Sacrifice

Ivanko and several of his best fighters continued to topple the knights trying to block them, but as the enemies began to thin, Ivanko began to wonder ...

Ivanko: They can't be running out of men. Not this early. Listen up, you animals! They aren't finished yet! Expect some heavy resistance near or at the throne room!

Vladimir: Sir, shouldn't you take a break? You leading the entire assault has kept our casualties to a minimum, but you're not going to have enough left in you to take down Denisov. He hasn't shown himself yet, and I'm pretty damn sure he's well rested.

Ivanko: You've got a point, but I can only trust you, or Levski for that. You're already wounded however, and Levski's distracted. If I'm too tired to fight when we get there, we'll think of something then. Cross that bridge when we get to it, for now just press the attack. If their morale climbs even a little they might stop us in our tracks ... then I won't be able to stop whatever they try next.

Vladimir: Understood, Sir.

They continued charging down the hallway until they came close to an intersection. Almost as they had reached it, a figure clad in dark robes and thick padding ran out from the left corner and sprinted toward Ivanko! Several snipers stepped forward flanking Ivanko and put two arrows into the man. The padding stopped them cold and the sprinter lost no speed at all.

Ivanko: (No one would try to take me on at close range after what I've done ... this has to be a trap ... but what?)

Vladimir: ... IT'S A FIRESTONE BOMB!!!

Ivanko: Urgh, it's too early for a cheap tactic like that!

Vladimir: COMMANDEEEEEEER!!!

The sprinter killed himself by breaking the stone, and disappeared in an inferno that engulfed the halls. The blast shook the entire area all the way to the throne room. Those behind the riot shields were spared, though were still a bit cooked inside their armor, but Vladimir used himself as a shield and protected Ivanko from the brunt of the blast. They were both sent flying into the shield wielders however. Vladimir died instantly, and Ivanko was dizzied by the explosion, so much so that it took him awhile to realize what had just happened.

Ivanko: Uuuuurgh ... V-Vlad ... dammit ....

A wave of heat assailed Borodin as she waded through the fight: somewhere up ahead, something had exploded, most likely a fire stone. Slashing through another guard, she made her way to the wall, darting along it and then around the corner that led to the corridor the hot gust had emanated from. As she freed herself into a fight, she broke into a sprint, in time to see a pair of robed figures in Imperial colors dart into the hall ahead. They looked like mages, and certainly ran like them; she caught up to them quickly, and saw that they were both carrying charges in front of them. One turned at the sound of her footsteps; he was beheaded. The other fell moments later with her blade through his back.

The sound of more shouting up ahead drew her, and she continued down the corridor, noting the increase in heat and smoldering shreds of furnishings: the stone walls would not burn, but the blast had to have been close. The singularly unpleasant smell of burnt flesh assailed her, but there appeared to be living people up ahead. Cautiously but confidently she stepped forward.

Into The Fray

She had been the only rider to do so thus far, taking her wyvern down into the palace. She didn't bother mounting Nikita however, as that wouldn't have given her any flexibility in battle. Instead, she brought the wyvern along to watch her back, and help her with her opponents if she needed it. Iso followed in after her, and so did Kiev, which had some of the mercenaries assigned to the roof wondering just what the two siblings were thinking.

Once inside, they managed to find Ivanko's forces, though that didn't mean much. The hallways were too thin for them to be anywhere near Ivanko himself. The forces were likely spread out hundreds of feet through the halls. They came to a screeching halt when it became obvious that they weren't getting on by on foot.

Irina: Urgh. Well then ...

She paused to look at Nikita.

Irina: It's a good thing I brought you along.

She quickly mounted up on the wyvern, surprising Iso. There wasn't really any room for a take off, and they couldn't go very high without slamming into the arched ceiling doorways, but they tried anyway and managed to get airborne, even though the wyvern's wing tips scraped up against the walls with every flap. Her plan eventually failed when she tried to pass over the main forces and she eventually ended up losing all of her momentum and landed in the middle of them. No one was crushed, but plenty were knocked down. Instead of apologizing, Irina yelled at them.

Irina: Come on! Move it! I need to get through!

Mercenary: Why are you even here?! The aerial battle's already over and your wyvern's almost useless in here!

Irina: Just move!

Iso tried to catch up but eventually lost sight of his sister. What was worse, was that the mercenaries were spread throughout multiple hallways. When he reached the first intersection, he had to make a choice. He felt Irina would have most likely kept going straight, so that's where he went, straight ahead. When he reached the front line he didn't see her or her wyvern. He didn't see Ivanko either, but the line kept advancing.

Iso: Hey! Have any of you seen Irina?!

Mercenary: No, we're just fanning out this way to loosen ourselves up and break through anymore defenses.

Iso: Where's Ivanko?

Mercenary: ... wrong way, Iso.

Iso: ... dammit.

Ixion: Isotov ...

Iso: Huh?

Iso looked over to the sound of Ixion's voice to find him standing at the end of the hall with his pack of chimeras guarding him.

Iso: Didn't you go with Ivanko?

Ixion: We have separate tasks. He's moving to deal with the emperor. I'm here to make sure there's nothing left of the royal family excess to be used against us later on. You should probably just wait outside or something.

Iso: Hell no.

Ixion: I see you're going to be difficult as usual ... come with me then. The royals thus far haven't put up much of a fight, and I don't trust the others to keep you alive in the event you do something stupid.

First Meeting

Before the mercenaries had readied themselves again, another figure stepped into view. Two more snipers who were waiting in the back stepped forward ready to try and stop the person if it was another sprinter, but Ivanko waved them down. The last sprinter came running, and they did have some potential allies to keep an eye out for. Levski made it to the front around this time too but stood back while Ivanko stepped forward.

Ivanko: Your name?

Phoenix

Much as he despised the man, Iso followed along, being cautious of the scaly wolves flanking him on all sides. Kiev kept trying to sniff them to figure out what they were and would get a snarl or even a quick nip on the nose for his efforts. They weren't very nice things ...

Iso: So ... how many people have you ruthlessly murdered so far, Ixion?

Ixion: About fifteen.

Iso: Tch, figures, and not a shred of care or concern I'll bet.

Ixion: ... just be quiet, would you? Accompanying me doesn't necessitate conversation.

Soon enough, the chimeras sniffed out another royal and surrounded a closed and locked door. Ixion did the same as before and began charging up a dark energy blast to knock it wide open.

Ixion: Whoever this one is, they have enough power to fight back. This could turn violent, so I suggest you stand back and let me deal with this.

He warned Iso before blasting the door in and following his chimeras as they rushed inside. Iso followed as well but left Kiev behind. The young wyvern just couldn't fit through the door it seemed. Even he knew it was silly to try and just sat there in the hall. Inside, the room was mostly empty. It was large though, possibly a sparring chamber. That had Ixion suspecting a trap, and as if to confirm that suspicion, a loud crashing sound rang behind him. He turned to see Iso barely escaping a crushing blow from a large slab that fell to block the door. Next, they both found themselves hurrying out of the way as a lethal fire blast came hurtling toward them. It missed them but struck and it wasn't long before it was melted over the doorway and glowing like magma. The magic user behind that attack had a lot of power at their disposal.

Looking to the source of the magic, he saw a tall beautiful woman standing at the other end of the chamber. She may have very well have been ...

Ixion: You're another royal, aren't you?

Selena: Indeed I am. I am Empress Selena Denisov. <Tell me, how many of my children have you laid to rest, boy?>

Iso: ... about fifteen.

Iso said that while giving Ixion a glare. Ixion shot Iso an annoyed glance before the woman responded again.

Ixion: As many as I could find I have slain, Empress.

Selena: All to prevent rebellion, I suppose? I ... can understand that. It is what my ancestors did to bring the Denisov family into power, but now ... but now my heart aches, and cries out for vengeance. I shall kill you here and now. Do not bother resisting me, I already know the limits of your abilities and can overcome them with ease, boy.

Ixion: Fire magic is a nuisance, but it comes with a price. You won't be able to sustain it for long, not even at your power level, archsage.

Selena: Do not be so presumptuous.

Letting down her cloak, she revealed a very expensive dress, but also necklace and belt, both loosely warn, and both lined with severely overcharged fire stones. Ixion and Iso both flinched at the sight of them. Draining one of them almost completely, she sent a fire blast at them with power to match Orteiga's. Ixion put up as strong a barrier as he could manage, but all of the chimeras that entered the room were incinerated instantly, and only he and Iso survived, both of them on their knees with smoke rising from their shoulders. Had they been exposed to anymore heat, they would have both been set ablaze.

Ixion: Iso ...

Iso: Urrrgh ... w-w-whaaat ...?

Ixion: We are at an overwhelming disadvantage here ... she is attacking us with power far beyond human ability by draining those fire stones and using them to fuel her attacks. I can only deflect so many of those.

Iso: Deflect? We almost died just now! How was that deflection?!

Ixion: Iso! Look at the ground! Look at the waves in the air! The temperature in here is skyrocketing! There's nothing left of the canus variants, not even bone or ash. When I put up that barrier, it sent the blast out in all other directions and heated up the entire area. Waste your time being upset with me after we deal with her. If we waste time arguing, we are dead men, either by a direct hit, or being overwhelmed by the heat!

Iso: What can we possibly do?!

Ixion: Give me a moment to think of something.

Iso: We don't have a moment, Ixion!

Ixion: Then be silent at the very least, you fool!

Selena: Time is up!

She quickly drained another fire stone and sent an attack of equal power at them. Same as before, Ixion just barely managed to keep them alive, and they were left on their knees with smoke rising from them as if they had been charred. The floor outside the barrier was now super heated, and the temperature in the room soared to over a two hundred degrees in moments.

Ixion: (This is a brilliant trap she's laid out for us. We cannot get any aid from the outside, and due to the fire attacks, the entire area has become a severe fire hazard, a self contained furnace. We won't be able to move from where we stand without melting our shoes onto our feet or setting our clothes ablaze. About three more minutes in here and the heat in the air will kill us. That doesn't leave us with a lot of options here, and every attack that I deflect leaves me a little more exhausted. This is an energy game we're playing, and the first side to run out of it ... dies. We cannot overpower her, because she has an almost limitless energy reserve to draw from. We cannot wait her out either, three more of those attacks and I'll have used up everything. That means we must get around her attacks somehow. Or better yet ...)

Iso: (She's mainly after Ixion but I can't help but feel some irony in this. Dying in a huge fire is not something I want people finding out about really ...)

Ixion: Isotov, I have one plan given the current circumstances, but if it fails, we're finished. Are you in ... or would you rather lay down and die?

Iso coughed painfully. The air wasn't the most suitable for breathing anymore either.

Iso: Y-yeah ... I'm in ... anything's better than being roasted by this woman, even working with a monster like you.

Ixion: I'm glad you agree.

The fly was rather happy to go inside after being outside in the blistering cold for so long. Even though the fire mage was unusually warm, this form was not suited to be in cold weather very long. She was a bit relieved when Isotov ran into Ixion. Finally a chance to observe him for myself. What is he going to do I wonder?

Unfortunately the temperature soon reached the other extreme as soon as they reached the fire archsage. Ahh fire magic, ever the weakness of elder magic. And she's well prepared too. Let's see how this hotshot young druid deals with this threat, eh? A slight tinge of worry filled her as a blast of fire magic shot towards them. Quickly, she erected a barrier around Isotov, protecting herself and him from the blast, allowing the druid to protect himself and the chimeras to be destroyed. That was close...I won't win the battle for them, but I have to protect what's important here at the very least.