My sprites (obviously)

Nova

Your previous sprite still has a LOT of pillowshading going on though.

I really have a problem with that it seems. >.>

I seem to lack an eye for that, as I said before. I'd be really grateful if you (or somebody else) could go into detail about that, point out the exact areas etc.

I'd try to solve that on my own, but I'd probably do it wrong.

That's a thin spear. It could afford to be a little wider.

That's supposed to be a sword, a rapier to be exact. You can see that in my reference. Although I admit that it really looks like a spear if you don't take a look at the original.

It IS a quite thin sword, but I assume that it's supposed to be. Compared to the reference, I think that the width is appropriate.

But that doesn't mean that I'd never change that. It's far from being final, so I'll just see how it looks like when it's done.

edit: I'm kinda concerned about the left arm (her point of view) of the lineart. I still have the feeling that the upper arm is to short compared to the forearm. Although I was told that it's good as it is.

edit²: Okay, I've got me another opinion about the arm from someone who knows something about proportions, contrary to me. xD

I changed the arm with his advice. The proportions should be fine now I think.

j5jvg5x2.png

Edited by Nova

Alright, I just fixed it up a bit in like, 15 minutes. On the far left, is the original, I circled some problem areas. Basically it's when you just shade everything really thickly; you seem to just pile on all the skin colours everytime you shade, which isn't necessarily necessary :P In the middle is my quick fixed version (I changed the eyebrow a bit too cause it was bothering me) and then on the right is your original. Just take a look up close and you'll notice the shading is greatly reduced, but more effective in a way :3 The hair is pretty pillowy too but I'm not too good with hair, so I'm gonna leave that to you, or if somebody else wants to fix it :3

Edit: Also, the shadow on her left (OPV) side of her face still seems a bit thick, but you could reduce that :)

Edit2: Now I look again, your shading under her hair might've been better. I think I reduced it a bit too much. But by the rest of the face and the arms, you should be able to get the idea lol

novafix.png

Edited by Jubby

Jubby, you removed too much shading on the face. The lack of the fourth shade shows almost no depth.

woohoo.png

(Original) - (Jubby's) - (Mine)

The third and fourth shades are used for under-hair shading. There should be some shading near the bang that goes all the way to the neck. I'm not too proud of mine but someone else can fix that.

I didn't bother playing with anything else for now. I may look at it later.

Also a note for Nova, you used the darkest hair shade for the eyebrows, you can afford to use the fifth skin shade instead. That's what it's for, and they're close enough in color. If she were blonde or lighter haired then you'd use the darker hair colors instead. Or use a few spots for a little color.

Shut up good spriters, I know how to shade faces.

Edited by Octavian

Le sigh

kCsQ.png

There. I didn't touch the hair or the dress. I'm not in the mood to tackle messes as big as those.

I went off of Jubby's because it was the best out of the three, but Jubby, Craig's right. You removed all of the 4th shade, and that killed the shading depth.

Nova, use this as reference if you intend to keep spriting with it, but I've advice for all of you.

Jubby: Learn to splice before you custom. You're still new to this, and you don't seem to have shading down. Jumping into doing any custom work will only hurt you unless you're seriously trying.

Craig:

The third and fourth shades are used for under-hair shading. There should be some shading near the bang that goes all the way to the neck.

The third and fourth shades are used where necessary. Under the bangs up top, you don't need to layer the shading, because it's close enough to the head. And first rule of spriting: shading should look right, before it is right. A.K.A., if something's wrong according to any rules or standards, but it looks correct to you and other spriters, then keep it. Sort of like how Rennac has a really tiny head, but his sprite looks fine.

Nova: STOP CUSTOMING. I am in no means attempting to insult you, but this sprite is a mess, and every time you try to fix it, it becomes worse. Please, for the love of actually improving, either find some custom spriting guides and buckle down for some intense work, or go back to splicing.

I see way too many new spriters try to custom right off the bat, and most of them don't have any art backgrounds behind them, nor do they put in hours of effort. It's much, much easier (normally) to learn from splicing, because splicing shows you how the shading is supposed to work on most sprites, how parts go together, how things are already shaded, etc.

Okay. I just really want to see people actually improve instead of just stagnate where they are because they want to do the fancy stuff right away.

Edited by seph1212

*sigh* Again I say, I wasn't seriously trying. I know I took too much of the 4th shade, I even edited it into my post

Jubby, I did mean overall. Your avatar is also very poorly done. Most of your sprites that aren't splices are lackluster and still need a lot of work.

But this conversation isn't gonna happen here, because this isn't your spriting topic, and I don't want to keep on clustering this place. Hit me up with a PM if you want to talk about it. Or get on Skype, w/e

The third and fourth shades are used where necessary. Under the bangs up top, you don't need to layer the shading, because it's close enough to the head. And first rule of spriting: shading should look right, before it is right. A.K.A., if something's wrong according to any rules or standards, but it looks correct to you and other spriters, then keep it. Sort of like how Rennac has a really tiny head, but his sprite looks fine.

Right. I think I used more of my own style, however, that's what I've known--third and fourth shades where hair meets head. Not always layered, but just to give depth.

I mostly wanted to fix Jubby's because of the loss of depth.

It's kinda depressing, but since you've got experience and know what you're talking about, I'll take your advice.

Once I find the time and motivation, I'll try to fix the shading of the sprite with all your tips above.

Then, although you want me to go back to splicing, I'd like to finish the lineart, because I'd hate to leave it unfinished. But I promise to do my best.

• 1 month later...

I really hate how my motivation to sprite comes and goes as it wants.

Everything I did since my last post is my entry for the splicing competition. It didn't win, but I'm satisfied nevertheless.

It's supposed to be female, but she looks a bit masculine thanks to Eliwood.

Oh, and I want to apologize in advance for purposely doing a mistake I've been warned of. The clothes got the color of Neimi's clothes (with the darkest shade made a bit lighter), although I know that I shouldn't mix FE6/7 and FE8 colors. But it was just the color I was looking for.

3wrtm2d4.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know how you feel, old pal. "Bad Boys" have it rough, no matter where they go, huh?

About the Eli-Splice:

Looks good to me, except for a few issues, like that "random" strand of hair to our right. She also reminds me a bit of a sprite I made in the past, or rather two versions of said character, but only in some points not worth mentioning.

Ismaire Splice:

It's not bad. Something's bothering me about head/hair, but I can't exactly point it out.

Limstella Splice:

To be honest, I liked the other two more. I dunno, I believe you could have done a better job with this one. Heath's pad should have been lower, so it matches her body a bit more. Reminds me... did you intend this to be a female, male or androgyn character?

I need to know more people here who I can force to comment. Thanks, anyway. xD

Ismaire Splice:

It's not bad. Something's bothering me about head/hair, but I can't exactly point it out.

Yeah, I'm not really content with it myself. The hair is a bit messy. And the shading of the piece of cloth on her head needs fixing as well I think. Maybe I'll fix this sprite soon.

Wie zur Hölle Ă¼bersetzt man "Zopf" auf Englisch? Was mein Ăœbersetzer mir ausspuckt klingt so falsch.

Limstella Splice:

To be honest, I liked the other two more. I dunno, I believe you could have done a better job with this one. Heath's pad should have been lower, so it matches her body a bit more. Reminds me... did you intend this to be a female, male or androgyn character?

I'm not so sure about the shoulder pad. It seems right in my eyes. A third opinion on that, anybody?

And she is supposed to be female. As I said in the contestthread: a female axe fighter.

Come on, the Eliwood splice looks way more androgynous than this one!

On to my next sprite.

n9jyeme9.png

I had much fun doing the hair. It was my initial idea after all. I only made the body so I don't have a floating head. xD"

The body still looks a bit too much like Neimi, but I like the design, so I won't force myself to make it more unresembling.

And yeah, heterochromia intended.

I also have an issue with her myself. On the left side of her face (from our point of view), there's a... damn, can't think of the right word again. But you know what I mean. It's sticking out.

(And in case it doesn't)

Rebecca, whose face I used, had hair behind it, that's why it didn't stick out there. But now it does. Is there a good way to make that spot smoother without reshaping the face?

Well, yes.

The little angle which caused the problem is still there, only a bit higher. But it really does look much less obtrusive this way. Thanks a lot. :D

• 3 weeks later...

And thanks again, Kon.^^

So, here's my new work. My failed attempt for the genderbending competition. I got a little carried away from the actual task, so the entry wasn't taken. But I don't care. After all, the most important thing about spriting is the fun while making something. :3

ku47xrq3.png

I'd also be veeery happy to get feedback for the last one.