An improved stealing system

FrenziedChaos

I was wondering if anybody knows how to make a thief steal a weapon, but not the equipped one. Like the stealing system in Path of Radiance, but for FE7 or FE8. I've seen a patch that allows thieves to steal weapons, but it's able to take any of them, and I don't want that. Any help would be appreciated.

Making weapons stealable requires an ASM hack and that's difficult. I made a patch for every GBA FE that allows stealing weapons, but they also allow stealing of the equipped weapon:

http://shrineofseals...topic,99.0.html

So your the one who made those patches? I haven't done ASM on Fire Emblem yet, but I'll give it a try soon.

Your patch changed the following (in FE7):

0x016D51 changed 79 to 7A

0x016D54 changed 09 to 00

Imputing that in a hex editor gets the same result without having to patch the game. I don't trust patching stuff I don't know how to replicate with a hex editor. May I see the ASM code you did? It'd help me get a better understanding of those changes and perhaps make the system the way I wanted.

Edited by FrenziedChaos

I'm pretty sure I just did the hack in hex editor, so I've got no source to show. You can do the same changes in VBA memory viewer and see from disassembly what changes. First byte changes the byte loaded and the second changes what the loaded by is compared to.

Nintenlord, there are notes in my doc for the function that determines what you have equipped. The function IS uses is used by my hack which displays magic data when equipped weapons target resistance and melee data when equipped weapons target defense; you can use the comments in the source/whatever else you see to touch up the hack or help someone else do so.

Edited by Obviam

Interestingly enough, there is a patch for FE8 (J) in the FEBinary uploader that does this exact thing. Instead of targeting whether a weapon is equipped or not, it makes the item in the unit's first slot un-stealable (which, in most cases, is the equipped weapon).

I don't know a terrible amount of assembly, but perhaps looking at this hack could advance a similar hack for FE7? I didn't see any ASM source though, so that's probably

Also, I google translated the doc a while back, which is still bad English but you can get the gist of what's going on.

Edited by Rodimus Supreme OVERTROLL

• 7 years later...
  1. So I know this is an old thread, but when I clicked the link to show me how to ASM for stealing weapons on GBA games, it took me to this weird ad website that did not give me any documents or information on how to hack it at all. I was wondering if anyone could either update the link or give me the exact instructions on how to do the ASM hacking from here. Thanks!