Why all the hate for SS?

Led by king _______, the nation of _________ attacks the nation of __________. __________, the main lord, comes into contact with ___________, the princess of the opposing kingdom. After defeating the king, it is revealed that he was being controlled by the evil sorcerer __________, who wants to bring chaos to the world by reviving __________.

1. Darin

2. Laus

3. Ostia

4. Hector

5. None

6. Nergal

7. Dragons

That's pretty close.

Led by king _______, the nation of _________ attacks the nation of __________. __________, the main lord, comes into contact with ___________, the princess of the opposing kingdom. After defeating the king, it is revealed that he was being controlled by the evil sorcerer __________, who wants to bring chaos to the world by reviving __________.

1. Zephiel

2. Bern

3. Lycia

4. Roy

5. Guinivere

6. Yahn/Idoun

7. Dark Dragon

Virtually an exact match.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually enjoy grinding in the Tower because i like using all sorts of different units. FE8s story is kinda meh but there were some really good parts about it. Lyon in Ephraim's route, Orson's situation, etc. Other than that, its kinda dull. I do like Eirika though.

The thing i like most about FE8 is Creature Campaign.

I liked Innes/L'Arachel :mellow:

It may not have been that one, but I'm pretty sure it had one of them. It's been years since that happened. I think I recall the two starting to talk about the foods from their respective countries and I just thought "Really?"

Tauroneo is one of the former Four Riders, and friend to the father of the relevant Lord, no relevance to the story is a bit off there. All FE games have people who are not very important the plot though, so it's not a big deal either way. Generally I find characters who have relevance to the main plot more interesting, but eh.

Well, yeah, point stands. I guess you can take Tauroneo off the list. You can probably also put Kieran on the list. I know he's a Crimean Knight but now that I think of it, I don't think he was really relevant in any way. I also left all the Grei Mercenaries out, but you could say Mia is pointless to the story. And Ilyana.

Obviously characters who are more plot-important are much more likely to be interesting, but implying that the inclusion of unimportant characters is a bad thing is totally off.

1. Darin

2. Laus

3. Ostia

4. Hector

5. None

6. Nergal

7. Dragons

That's pretty close.

1. Zephiel

2. Bern

3. Lycia

4. Roy

5. Guinivere

6. Yahn/Idoun

7. Dark Dragon

Obviously, FE7 is a direct prequel of FE6, therefore they must share a common line, if not equal. The same is with FE9 and FE10, the plot is all about Daein, Crimea and Beorc and Laguz (alliances and fights).

What are you talking about? FE6 and FE7 have virtually no connection unless they were forced into FE7 to give it a connection (i.e. Karel).

And that's not even what I was talking about. Someone said that only FE 1/2/3 follow that general line. Turns out FE6/7/8 do as well.

It may not have been that one, but I'm pretty sure it had one of them. It's been years since that happened. I think I recall the two starting to talk about the foods from their respective countries and I just thought "Really?"

I'm only interjecting on this one point merely to say that we shouldn't act like FE7 didn't have a lot of dumb support convos. Louise braiding Guy's hair, the bird nesting in Geitz's hair, Dart's treasure map of no one cares as it goes nowhere, Lowen's supports either being "I forgot to make breakfast" or getting bitchslapped by Marcus, Kent and Fiora having much ado about nothing and falling in love with each other over it because they get off on being boring, I could go on.

FE7's royal part of the cast was more interesting, but I like FE8's common people cast better. I think there's some tradeoffs, but I wouldn't say either cast is much better than the other.

Overall, I think Fe9 had the best cast in the series. While they didn't have anything particularly interesting about their lives, they at least had the most personality.

I'm only interjecting on this one point merely to say that we shouldn't act like FE7 didn't have a lot of dumb support convos. Louise braiding Guy's hair, the bird nesting in Geitz's hair, Dart's treasure map of no one cares as it goes nowhere, Lowen's supports either being "I forgot to make breakfast" or getting bitchslapped by Marcus, Kent and Fiora having much ado about nothing and falling in love with each other over it because they get off on being boring, I could go on.

I did say that there were some I found boring. Obviously both games are bound to have some lacking in the enjoyability department. And I actually found the bird in Geitz's hair quite amusing and unexpected. Dart's treasure map was also good if only to acknowledge that he is a Pirate.

1. Darin

2. Laus

3. Ostia

4. Hector

5. None

6. Nergal

7. Dragons

That's pretty close.

1. Zephiel

2. Bern

3. Lycia

4. Roy

5. Guinivere

6. Yahn/Idoun

7. Dark Dragon

In the first place, Laus never attacked Ostia; Eliwood and Hector put down the rebellion before it had a chance to get under way. If anything, it was Ostia and Pherae that attacked Laus first.

In the second place, Laus' attempted rebellion took up only about a third of FE7, if that. (The rebellion was pretty much quelled halfway through the game, and Darin himself was killed less than 2/3 of the way through the game, and that's if you count the relatively irrelevant succession issue in Caelin that took up the first third.) A much greater portion of FE6 is about Lycia's and Etruria's war against Bern, about the same percentage of FE8 is about Renais' and Frelia's war against Grado.

And not to mention Canas borrowing tons of books, Louise persuading Guy and Erk to occupy the empty decorated room, oh! Louise and Rebecca remind me Calill and Nephenee...so repeated. Most support conversations share the same pattern in all FE games, that's what makes them so predictable.

Let's see here.

1. Ashnard

2. Daein

3. Crimea

4. Ike

5. disregard, since Crimea is allied

6. Sephiran, since Lekain isn't interested in reviving anything, AFAIK.

7. Ashera

I guess it fits. Only that we don't know of the last two until FE10.

I always loved SS though, personally. And I really loved them actually exploring some of the countries. Yes, discussing foods might not be the most interesting subject in the world, but little things like that help flesh out the world. I didn't get that as much, even between FE6 and 7, most of the time. Also feel that, even if they weren't that important to the main plot, I felt that they managed to have everyone connected for the most part. Exception to this would be... really just Artur and Lute, to the best of my knowledge. But even so, I felt like everyone had a really good reason for joining in FE8. And I always liked the branched promotion. As for making Natasha a Valkyrie over a Bishop, I could give her Ivaldi then, which is close in power, and will allow me to do comparable damage, while still being more mobile. But yeah, I loved SS, was a wonderful game, wish they'd have done another one in the world.

I don't exactly hate it but I can see why some people do.

Reasons I can imagine would be that the game in general is easy. Although I don't think it's such a big deal, people who like FE11's H5 will hate this game's difficulty.

I also feel (and dislike) that the game was rushed.

The game is really short and that bothers me because there was so much potential with this game. The branched promotions, the world map, everything had so much potential, but the game just isn't long enough to take full advantage.

I still think it's a great game but is one of the worse FEs.

1. Darin

2. Laus

3. Caelin

4. Eliwood

5. Lyn

6. Nergal

7. Dragons

If you exclude Lyn's mode, the rebellion portion of FE7 takes up half the game.

FE1/3/6/7/8/9 all follow this formula to a fairly good extent. PoR does it the best, merely due to its strong writing. The point is that FE7 is no golden example of originality in plot. That's FERD.

FE9 is pretty generic as far as writing goes. Decent characters, but it's arguably cliched and nothing is more well written than say, FE7.

FE5 is arguably the best in plot, since it's dark but also somewhat different than other games in it's presentation and the villains aren't badly done.

Cliches are cliches because they work. Still, it is refreshing to break the formula, yet 'lol it's like the rest' alone isn't sufficient reason to hate.

I have a slight dislike (comparatively; I still think it's a great game overall) for FE7...just seems bland to me. That said, I can see why people prefer it to FE8. I just ... don't.

FE9 is pretty generic as far as writing goes. Decent characters, but it's arguably cliched and nothing is more well written than say, FE7.

I thought FE9's writing was excellent myself, but to each their own. I've no problem with cliches.either.
FE5 is arguably the best in plot, since it's dark but also somewhat different than other games in it's presentation and the villains aren't badly done.

Fully agreed.

1. Darin

2. Laus

3. Caelin

4. Eliwood

5. Lyn

6. Nergal

7. Dragons

Let me point out everything that's wrong with this.

First of all, someone else said it; Eliwood pretty much investigated and attacked Laus first because of the upcoming rebellion. He rose up because of his father's kidnapping and found out about the mafia-esque black fang that way.

The attack on Caelin was one or two chapters, at best, and didn't significantly impact the plot at all.

And Darin wasn't controlled by Nergal -- that was the Black Fang, who in turn were controlled by Nergal in the end anyway because he worked through Sonia. Now he does want to bring chaos to the world, but that's beside the point; it only supplements my point that anything can be the same if you look at the extremely general, but the specifics (that are more than just slight deviations, which is my other point) themselves make the game far different than the others.

I would say that cliches aren't something to be avoided, but then everybody will just laugh and go back to tvtropes.

Cliches aren't inherently bad, but they often tend to be because it's the same thing we've seen multiple times. It needs to be presented in a different way to make a good impact.

Cliches have nothing to do with writing.

In fact, I'd actually say that FESD has the second-best writing of any FE. Its plot is simple and basic, but the writing itself is topnotch. PoR also has topnotch writing.

lol@madfe8fan. Pent could gain 2 levels a chapter from when he joins til Cog and still get his shit wrecked by Valkyries, Luna Druids, and Lloyd (you know, the reason Cog is hard?). Harken has even fewer chapters to catch up and gets screwed even harder by the status staves.

While FE7 and 8 both had plenty of dumbshit convos, 7 had more memorable convos from the good ones. I don't really recall any particularly awesome FE8 convo, although I guess I could stand to reread.

FE7's royal part of the cast was more interesting, but I like FE8's common people cast better. I think there's some tradeoffs, but I wouldn't say either cast is much better than the other.

I don't really agree with this. I think FE7 wins out in some cases (Matthew > Colm, Wil > Neimi, Bartre/Dorcas > Garcia/Ross, Kent/Sain > Kyle/Forde, Renault >>>), but FE8 in others (Joshua > Guy, Innes > Louise, Lute > Erk, Vanessa > Florina).

And when the quality is this close, I think FE7's quantity wins out (the only characters that felt too similar to me were Rath/Jaffar)

Lloyd is the reason Cog is hard?

wut

Also. There's a such thing as Pure Water/Barrier. 7 res. Since there's no other point in this entire game where you'll need it, you ought to have enough of them saved up by then. Flor ought to have enough luck to deal with the Luna Druids.

Honestly, FE6 has more memorable convos than FE7, and that's fairly pathetic.

ITT: Someone hates FE7 more than I find FE8 annoying.

What is your brilliant strategy to HHM CoD? I keep dying there.

This is gonna be the third time I've said it. Pure Water/Barrier staff. Don't field the low res people like Kent/Sain and use the buffs solely on the mediocre res people like Pent and Harken. If I'm not mistaken, status staves hit based on resistance, so this will not only lower the damage you take but also reduce susceptibility to those.

And as I've also said before, Florina should have enough luck by then to adequately deal with Luna Druids. I typically use both Fiora and Florina when I do HHM and their support, which is fairly easy to get to A rank by then even if you're going at an S Rank pace, gives crit evade.

Cliches have nothing to do with writing.

In fact, I'd actually say that FESD has the second-best writing of any FE. Its plot is simple and basic, but the writing itself is topnotch. PoR also has topnotch writing.

FESD has the second-best writing of any FE? LOL!