Why all the hate for SS?

How about it's genericness? How about it's lack of interesting characters? How about it's plot that has no surprises or does anything interesting with it's cliches? How about the fact that a large amount of the playable cast has NO LINES OF DIALOUGE ASIDE FROM DEATH QUOTES?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about it's genericness? How about it's lack of interesting characters? How about it's plot that has no surprises or does anything interesting with it's cliches? How about the fact that a large amount of the playable cast has NO LINES OF DIALOUGE ASIDE FROM DEATH QUOTES?

Once again, you're confusing plot and cliches with writing.

What FESD actually does with the few words it's allotted is what I'm talking about.

Also. There's a such thing as Pure Water/Barrier. 7 res. Since there's no other point in this entire game where you'll need it, you ought to have enough of them saved up by then. Flor ought to have enough luck to deal with the Luna Druids.

Here's how CoD usually works out.

Pent gets silenced.

Priscilla gets slept.

You're screwed. Even a max +7 res on Pent will not let him reliably dodge status staves from 28 mag druids; he'll still face about 50 hit. Clearing this map efficiently is all about luck and hoping that your Pure Water beefed units don't get statused, which is still inevitable coming from the 28 mag druids, and most growth units have poor enough innate res that they get statused by the 16 mag valks at an alarming rate even after Pure Water.

CoD is doable enough if you turtle, but every map is easy with turtling.

Once again, you're confusing plot and cliches with writing.

Are you serious? FE DS's plot is nothing but cliche. Game developers back then didn't really have the liberty to utilize original, nuanced plots.

Edited by dondon151

FESD is the least entertaining game in the series both story wise and gameplay. I can't remember the plot anyways I think it was Marth trying to rescue his sister and he ends up fighting dragons. FE4 and FE5 are some of the best written, I'm also very fond of FE9 and FE10, they go into detail (esp. FE10) FE 7 and FE8 are also well written imo.

@Paperkitty I find Neimi more interesting so I'll have to say Neimi > Wil :P:

but FESD is the worst, FE fans should hate that game and not SS ^^'

Edited by Queen_Kittylincia

Are you serious? FE DS's plot is nothing but cliche. Game developers back then didn't really have the liberty to utilize original, nuanced plots.

That's the POINT.

The plot is horribad. The characters are horribad.

But the writing itself... is good.

To everyone not realizing this, Ninian is essentially the princess of 7. She isn't a literal princess, but she's Nergal's daughter and takes the exact same role in the story.

Also, I find 11's plot better because not trying is better than making something bad.

Edited by Saloma

ALSO. Staff avoid, according to this very site, is (Resistance x 5) + (Distance from enemy x 2).

Pent has a BASE res of 16. With one Pure Water/Barrier Staff, he has over 100% staff avoid.

Priscilla by that time should have at least 20 res. That's over 100% staff avoid.

Harken has a BASE res of 11. With one Pure Water/Barrier Staff, he has 90% staff avoid, and that assumes the enemy is right next to him.

So there.

Edited by General Banzai

ALSO. Staff avoid, according to this very site, is (Resistance x 5) + (Distance from enemy x 2).

Pent has a BASE res of 16. With one Pure Water/Barrier Staff, he has over 100% staff avoid.

Priscilla by that time should have at least 20 res. That's over 100% staff avoid.

Harken has a BASE res of 11. With one Pure Water/Barrier Staff, he has 90% staff avoid, and that assumes the enemy is right next to him.

So there.

Staff Accuracy = 30 + (Magic X 5) + Skill.

28 Mag + 14 (random guess, not sure) Skill = 184 staff accuracy.

So there.

FESD is the least entertaining game in the series both story wise and gameplay. I can't remember the plot anyways I think it was Marth trying to rescue his sister and he ends up fighting dragons. FE4 and FE5 are some of the best written, I'm also very fond of FE9 and FE10, they go into detail (esp. FE10) FE 7 and FE8 are also well written imo.

@Paperkitty I find Neimi more interesting so I'll have to say Neimi > Wil :P:

but FESD is the worst, FE fans should hate that game and not SS ^^'

FE11 gets enough hate as is =/

You left out half the equation.

28x5=140, +30 and we have 170, of which then we add Skl (I dunno the stats, imma go with 15). Let's take base RES Pent again with a water 21 and multiply it by 5. 105.

Congratulations, you now have 80 displayed on you with that staff use. Even if we assume they're the full 14 spaces away, that's only reducing it down to 52 displayed. You're flipping coins, son.

EDIT: Goddammit, Red Fox.

Edited by Grandkitty

To everyone not realizing this, Ninian is essentially the princess of 7. She isn't a literal princess, but she's Nergal's daughter and takes the exact same role in the story.
Still doesn't fill out your entire form, since there's no "kingdom" (especially because your target changes from bandits to laus to black fang to morphs, with some bern mixed in), no one's kingdom invades the other (Pherae/Ostia invade Laus then the Black Fang), and there wasn't any control; just manipulation from Nergal to the black fang. The "Princess" is not related to any kingdom except the final kingdom in the chain of command, and frankly most people don't even know that Ninian is nergal's daughter on the first playthrough.

Basically boils down to some point I keep making but you keep ignoring; a similar premise does not mean the same plot, and there are more than just "slight" differences.

It does? I've never seen anyone hate on it ^^'

Go on any YouTube video showcasing FE11's battle animations and all you'll see is "BAW I HATE THIS GAME ITS ANIMATIONS ARE GHEY FE7 WAS TEH BEST!!!1." And it doesn't even stop there.

That's the POINT.

The plot is horribad. The characters are horribad.

But the writing itself... is good.

I'm interested in seeing just exactly which parts of the writing you feel are good. Could you show us an example?

Go on any YouTube video showcasing FE11's battle animations and all you'll see is "BAW I HATE THIS GAME ITS ANIMATIONS ARE GHEY FE7 WAS TEH BEST!!!1." And it doesn't even stop there.

Oh :o: now I feel bad for suggesting people to hate it :P:

I like FE11 ^^' I just like it the least

*is a fan of SD*

The writing is such that you have to fill in your characterizations for most of your army based on a death quote, at best. I don't mind, but I can see this being a big issue for many.

Gameplay-wise, reclassing is awesome. Again, I am probably in the minority, but I'm not about to decry every single person that has a problem with it.

*is a fan of SD*

The writing is such that you have to fill in your characterizations for most of your army based on a death quote, at best. I don't mind, but I can see this being a big issue for many.

Gameplay-wise, reclassing is awesome. Again, I am probably in the minority, but I'm not about to decry every single person that has a problem with it.

For some reason I didn't like the reclassing and I really disliked the mages in the game, basically any mage can use any magic type. However I'll admit it was fun having a team full of pegasi and wyverns.

For some reason I didn't like the reclassing and I really disliked the mages in the game, basically any mage can use any magic type. However I'll admit it was fun having a team full of pegasi and wyverns.

Oh no, your opinion is different than mine! I must yell at you until you agree with me! :P:

I found reclassing fun, because it allowed me to deploy the jobs necessary for a map. For example, anything with Grust is likely to be facing a lot of Ridersbane units, while Macedon has the honor of fending off Horsemen and Snipers. To each her own~!

There's only one type of magic, and it's the type that almost always hurts.

Now that display of agreeing to disagree is over, back to the topic?

Edited by Clipseykitty

I'm interested in seeing just exactly which parts of the writing you feel are good. Could you show us an example?

So, funny story: I decided to break in here and clean the place out- and then I got caught. Hilarious, right? Comedy gold. OK, your turn. What are YOU doin' here?

Without Starlight's mighty blast, Gharnef will only add your life to the list of things he has taken from you.

Uh-uh, honey. No can do. I didn't betray my boys back there so you could zap me on out of here alone. Forget the staff; I'll come back later and get it for you myself. All right? Right now though, I need you to RUN. Tick-tack, now move that frock!

I'm not here by choice, sister of mine. Since you left, Medon has only gotten worse and worse. They forced me to enlist- you know I hate warfare, but it was into the army or onto the chopping block.

If I'm gonna to die, I'd rather die as one of the dashing than one of the dastardly.

Roger, think of the children- the poor women and children who shed tears every day this war drags on. I joined the Akaneian League to put an end to it, but I just…I just… *Sniff* Oh, Roger, doesn't it break your heart?

...When the palace fell, many, many good Akaneians were killed. The royal family...My family were...Their bodies were hung before the gates as an example. I cannot unpaint that vivid picture, of my parents grotesquely changed...I feel as though I should cry, Marth; or scream. But no tears come, and I cannot chase away the sadness and rage...

...I cannot change the past. I can only shape the future. Lead the way, Marth.

I am ready. Take me home.

Heh. Whadda you want? A broken nose?

That hunger for danger worries me, Marth. Humanity's hopes rest on your shoulders. I would sooner not see them crushed.

What? The dregs of Akaneia have come to challenge my kingdom? Ha ha ha... Really, do they think people have not tried before? So long as I possess this Imhullu magic, they cannot snuff my life out. No one can. As for the White Sage... He will trouble me no longer. With the dragon-goddess right where I want her, in the Fane of Raman, there is no way for Gotoh's Starlight to disperse the shadows that guard me.

Kee hee hee...Wretched Altean whelp, stumbling home to the slaughter... What fool throws away a life already so preciously bought?

Edited by General Banzai

Have you even played SD? We don't pick out a line of dialouge and go

66f07389e4f480e8aa325e68d7811911.png

The writing as a whole is consistent with it's style, it knows what it is and doesn't deviate from that.

The of the only memorable conversation from FE6 I can think of is Lilina/Marcus. Anything else, I didn't feel like were too special, or completely forgot about. (Alan/Lance for one was a snoozefest.) And the fact that no support viewer existed in FE6 doesn't help.

The of the only memorable conversation from FE6 I can think of is Lilina/Marcus. Anything else, I didn't feel like were too special, or completely forgot about. (Alan/Lance for one was a snoozefest.) And the fact that no support viewer existed in FE6 doesn't help.

Ah, but you forget the greatest single line of dialogue in FE History. And no, I do not mean General Narshen will laugh at me. I mean...

Yuno: Treck? Oh...he was here just a minute ago... Hm? What's this...did he drop it when he left? It has a lot of small writing on it... Let's see... ...'I became a horse.' ...'I tried running.' ...'I got tired.' ...???

Ah, but you forget the greatest single line of dialogue in FE History. And no, I do not mean General Narshen will laugh at me. I mean...

Yuno: Treck? Oh...he was here just a minute ago... Hm? What's this...did he drop it when he left? It has a lot of small writing on it... Let's see... ...'I became a horse.' ...'I tried running.' ...'I got tired.' ...???

lol I've never seen that line! :lol: I'm now convinced Yuno is my favorite character of FE6