Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance Dubbed Project

Name: マーシャ

They're both correct pronunciations of "Marcia".

However, kana says "Mar-sha".

And here lies the entire reason the FE12 translation thread was such a fanboy storm.

Yes. Ignore official sources.

I mean sure, translation is an art with names... but come on. Dictionary.com... really?

I ACTUALLY like "Jeffrey" better than "Joff-ri"... but saying "I am right. The official localization is wrong. Let's ignore both the English localization and the original source of the names and just say something different because I want to."

I'm completely fine with you guys changing around name pronunciations... It IS a fan project, but don't say "I am right, and the official source is wrong."

You guys will eventually make your decisions, and I'm not even really involved in this project. I'm just here to present what the official source says.

Actually, I never said to ignore the English version, just the katakana. I don't think the katakana should matter outside of names that are from names the japanese version just makes up or are unheard of. (Like, say, Naesala, or Cainny, or Deg.) If someone took a name I've heard of, like Sarah, and pronounced it like SAY-ra, I would be all "wtf are these people smoking". Even if that was exactly how it was originally pronounced. Geoffrey is an actual name, so naturally I would think we would want to consider that in the discussion.

Also I used dictionary.com because it has pronunciation info on names that actually exist commonly. And, while I've heard of Jeffrey's, I've never actually known of someone whose name was spelled Geoffrey. (I think Americans like phonetic spelling or something, hence Reese instead of Rhys, and stuff.)

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I never said to ignore the English version, just the katakana.

On another note, despite what the dub might say, I'm pretty sure Geoffrey is pronounced the same as Jeffrey. At least, according to dictionary.com, anyways.

This makes me faint.gif.

Then again, your source IS correct.

Use something like this next time though:

http://www.behindthename.com/

I don't think the katakana should matter outside of names that are from names the japanese version just makes up or are unheard of. (Like, say, Naesala, or Cainny, or Deg.) If someone took a name I've heard of, like Sarah, and pronounced it like SAY-ra, I would be all "wtf are these people smoking".

And that's perfectly fair. It's just the dictionary.com thing that made me cringe. Sorry if I sounded snappy.

Though for the Sarah example...

PRONOUNCED: SER-ə (English), SAR-ə (English)

You could pronounce it as "Serra" like FE7's character.

Edited by shadowofchaos

This makes me faint.gif.

Then again, your source IS correct.

Use something like this next time though:

http://www.behindthename.com/

And that's perfectly fair. It's just the dictionary.com thing that made me cringe. Sorry if I sounded snappy.

Though for the Sarah example...

You could pronounce it as "Serra" like FE7's character.

I've never really bothered going farther than an online dictionary for them because the names I'm often stumped on are the names that wouldn't be in a name dictionary anyways, because they're not people names, even if they are being used for a character. For example Lethe, Crimea, Haar, Lyre, and even Lughnasadh can be found in a dictionary, but aren't actually people names. Admittedly, I probably should have used a source that was a bit more reputable for Geoffrey. So, thank you very much for the site.

As for the Sarah thing, both SER-ə (English), SAR-ə (English) sound like "Sarah" to me. One just sounds like the person has an accented or something so I dunno. I meant -a as in rag though.

And...Uh... is Serra pronounced any differently than Sarah? I was under the impression it was supposed to be a varient in spelling. If it is, my bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be trying out for several bosses, since I don't expect to get them all. For some of them I was more or less just testing my vocal range, so not all the lines are to my satisfaction. Also, don't mind the clicking, that's just the sound of me turning off my microphone. I will edit out the clicks in the final project:

These are the bosses I'm trying out for:

http://fireemblem.wi...com/wiki/Ikanau

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Maijin

http://fireemblem.wi...com/wiki/Balmer

http://fireemblem.wi...om/wiki/Mackoya

http://fireemblem.wi...com/wiki/Seeker

http://fireemblem.wi...om/wiki/Kasatai

http://fireemblem.wi...om/wiki/Gromell

http://fireemblem.wi...om/wiki/Heddwyn

Regardless, I really appreciate this project you've started. For better or for worse, I sincerely hope you can find enough voices for it.

Edited by jubedube

Chris' Oscar, Ranulf, and two others.

jubedube, all the voices were fantastic. I enjoyed them all. For Balmer, I enjoy someone else's a bit better, and I'll post it, if he gives me permission to. I actually want to put you as all the voices (except for Balmer, because I want people here to judge yours, and the other person's, to see which is more enjoyable) you put yourself up for.

Chris' Oscar, Ranulf, and two others.

jubedube, all the voices were fantastic. I enjoyed them all. For Balmer, I enjoy someone else's a bit better, and I'll post it, if he gives me permission to. I actually want to put you as all the voices (except for Balmer, because I want people here to judge yours, and the other person's, to see which is more enjoyable) you put yourself up for.

Glad you liked them. By the way, I'm the Chris you sent you the Maijin, Mordecai, and Balmer try outs. Feel free to post them (I'm going to assume that you posted my name with SS4Nels' Oscar and Ranulf try outs by mistake, unless his name happens to be Chris as well).

Also, I'd like to apologize for naming the files under Chris, I didn't make this account during the time I sent you the email so I'm sorry for any time you may spend renaming a few files.

Edited by jubedube

Oooooooh. Okay. So both Balmer's were the same then. Yeah, there is you (Chris) and another Chris. *Shrug*

jubetube's Mordecai (Friends) | jubetube's Mordecai (Forgiveness) | jubetube's Majin | jubetube's Balmer

If others agree, I would like to put you as all the bosses you went for, as well as Mordecai. Do you think you can handle it? I mean, I really did enjoy the voices, and the more voices people can do, the faster I can start making the playthrough.

Oooooooh. Okay. So both Balmer's were the same then. Yeah, there is you (Chris) and another Chris. *Shrug*

jubetube's Mordecai (Friends) | jubetube's Mordecai (Forgiveness) | jubetube's Majin | jubetube's Balmer

If others agree, I would like to put you as all the bosses you went for, as well as Mordecai. Do you think you can handle it? I mean, I really did enjoy the voices, and the more voices people can do, the faster I can start making the playthrough.

I'm pretty sure I can find the time for Mordecai, let alone a few bosses who play one-chapter roles in the game. I'd also like to let you know that If you find voices you prefer over mine don't hesitate to replace me.

• 2 weeks later...

so I applied for a bunch of roles, including reyson, ashnard, and boyd.

looking forward to see what parts, if any, I get assigned

http://www.mediafire...816s74rik71063.

Your voice fits a very particular character, I suggest if you want to try out for more parts that you give the younger ones a good shot.

I enjoyed your Boyd the most, I also thought your Zihark, Sephiran, Brom, and Geoffrey were appropriate. As for the other characters you tried out, I don't know if we have a standard for this fandub, but I feel your voice is not quite low enough for the other characters you tried out save for Reyson, who I recall in the initial posts is being reserved for a seasoned singer.

If you want my advice, all you need to do is work on your delivery of the lines. Do multiple takes if you must and look up the in-game scripts (All in the PoR section of this website) that have the lines for your characters, that way you understand the context of what they're saying.

I hope you haven't taken offense to what I've written down, because that's not my intention, of anything, if other people like all your voices then l wouldn't mind if you did all the parts you tried out for.

Couldn't you always have someone sing, but have another person voice the character?

As long as no one minds the difference in the voice, that is a good alternative.

Edited by jubedube

Your voice fits a very particular character, I suggest if you want to try out for more parts that you give the younger ones a good shot.

I enjoyed your Boyd the most, I also thought your Zihark, Sephiran, Brom, and Geoffrey were appropriate. As for the other characters you tried out, I don't know if we have a standard for this fandub, but I feel your voice is not quite low enough for the other characters you tried out save for Reyson, who I recall in the initial posts is being reserved for a seasoned singer.

If you want my advice, all you need to do is work on your delivery of the lines. Do multiple takes if you must and look up the in-game scripts (All in the PoR section of this website) that have the lines for your characters, that way you understand the context of what they're saying.

I hope you haven't taken offense to what I've written down, because that's not my intention, of anything, if other people like all your voices then l wouldn't mind if you did all the parts you tried out for.

makes sense. I'll redo some of my auditions, and try for a few more of the bosses.

makes sense. I'll redo some of my auditions, and try for a few more of the bosses.

Just a heads up, the spots for Balmer, Gromell, Heddwyn, Ikanau, Kasatai, Mackoya, Seeker, Maijin, and Hevetti are filled (At least to my knowledge, I only mention this since it's not displayed on the front page). So unless you're interested in one of those parts you don't need to try out for them.

Edited by jubedube

If I exclude the singing option for Reyson, then Leanne's singing goes as well. So, we just will try to avoid making the herons sing.

I don't have some "IT HAS TO BE THE BEST VOICES EVER!!!!!" 'standard,' but I want it to be enjoyable. So really, there is no "standard." Just have fun with the voices.

Balmer, Gromell, Heddwyn, Ikanau, Kasatai, Mackoya, Seeker, Maijin, and Hevetti

Which ones did you apply for again? I believe I liked all your bosses, if I recall correctly.

If I exclude the singing option for Reyson, then Leanne's singing goes as well. So, we just will try to avoid making the herons sing.

I don't have some "IT HAS TO BE THE BEST VOICES EVER!!!!!" 'standard,' but I want it to be enjoyable. So really, there is no "standard." Just have fun with the voices.

Which ones did you apply for again? I believe I liked all your bosses, if I recall correctly.

I applied for all of the ones I listed except for Havetti, who, from what I recall, was being voiced by Hoss.

Yo. I don't know if anyone's applied for Stefan yet, but I'd like to give him (And a few others) a shot. I just wanted to make sure that a (Not that) thick Scottish accent wouldn't mix anything up that much.

Or if there's someone that REALLY needs that accent pushed on, I can do that too.

Actually, I think an accent could probably work for someone like Stefan, since he's unaffiliated with any country. At least, it wouldn't be as weird as, say, Lucia having one and the Geoffrey and Elincia not or something. That's just me though.

Yo. I don't know if anyone's applied for Stefan yet, but I'd like to give him (And a few others) a shot. I just wanted to make sure that a (Not that) thick Scottish accent wouldn't mix anything up that much.

Or if there's someone that REALLY needs that accent pushed on, I can do that too.

A Scottish sword master?

Where do I sign?

(Specifically to say, "I am the desert, and I brook no intrusion. Make peace with your goddess.")

Here's my first three submissions (Stefan/Naesala/Bandit2). If anyone has any recommendations for other voices I should try out I'll take 'em. It's a little jumpy, but I haven't used Audacity since I was, like, six, so that was pretty much taken for granted. I'll practice with it some more until I regain my former proficiency.

4Shared

EDIT: I probably should have called it something else...sorry about that.

Edited by Gone2Ground

I had an idea for Largo. We should totally have someone imitate Kronk from The Emperor's New Groove/School. Tell me you can't picture Largo with that voice!

You mean Patrick Warburton? That would be pretty awesome. XD Although John DiMaggio sounds like a better match for Largo IMO.

Funnily enough, DiMaggio is actually the voice of the Scotsman in that video a few posts up. XD

Edited by Kon