Riddle.

Joerachi

You see a shirt that costs $97.

You borrow $100 from your parents, $50 from each.

You buy the shirt and get $3 change.

You give each of your parents a dollar and keep the 3rd for yourself.

You now owe each parent $49.

49 + 49 = 98 + $1 = 99.

Where's the other dollar?

I remember this. No one in my algebra class got it, my teacher didnt pick on me because I already knew the answer, bastard. He said to give the others a chance, what chance? Everyone in the class is either gonna end up a prostitute or in jail, except me, I'm gonna be in a mental hospital. Oh yeah, it didnt go anywhere. You spent $97 and paid each parent dollars, you kept one for yourself. 97 + 2 + 3 = 100.

Seen another variation of it, with 30 dollars and 3 people.

My brother said it was something wrong with mathemathics i proved him wrong though :newyears:

Anywho.

You payed $97. You borrowed 100 from your parents (50 for each). you got 3 dollars back. However what you are not seeing is that you didn't use the full 50 from one of your parents. It was possible (and for easyness sake lets say it was, however, hypothetically it can be any combination leading to it) that from one parent you used 47 dollars, and from the other the full 50. You gave each of your parents 1 dollar. Tha makes it 48 and 51 dollars. Plus the one you kept, that makes it 100.

Edited by SlayerX

This took me some time to understand but I got it. xD The "trap" is that you added 49 + 49 + 1, but that's not what you're supposed to look at. 49 + 49 = 98, which is what you still owe, 1$ is what you have, so 2 different things. Not sure if I'm on the right track, but I don't know how to answer "where did the other dollar go?" other than saying that it's not supposed to be anywhere..

Even just a cursory glance suggests there is no missing dollar. The question is entirely moot.

49s are mentioned, defined as (Borrowedmom - Repaidmom) and (Borroweddad - Repaiddad).

We're told (Borrowedmom + Borroweddad) = 100 = Total, Price = 97 and that Repaidmom = Repaiddad = Ownedself = (Total - Price)/3.

The irrelevant statement is (Borrowedmom - Repaidmom) + (Borroweddad - Repaiddad) + Ownedself = Total - 1.

A simple substitution gives Borrowedmom + Borroweddad - Ownedself = Total - 1.

Subtracting Total and its equivalent (Borrowedmom + Borroweddad) from both sides and then negating both sides of the equation yields Ownedself = 1 without any unruly incident. There was no riddle to discuss.

Even just a cursory glance suggests there is no missing dollar. The question is entirely moot.

49s are mentioned, defined as (Borrowedmom - Repaidmom) and (Borroweddad - Repaiddad).

We're told (Borrowedmom + Borroweddad) = 100 = Total, Price = 97 and that Repaidmom = Repaiddad = Ownedself = (Total - Price)/3.

The irrelevant statement is (Borrowedmom - Repaidmom) + (Borroweddad - Repaiddad) + Ownedself = Total - 1.

Subtracting Total and its equivalent (Borrowedmom + Borroweddad) from both sides and then negating both sides of the equation yields Ownedself = 1 without any unruly incident. There was no riddle to discuss.

obviaaaaaaaam

ilu

obviaaaaaaaam

ilu

also who the hell spends 97$ on a shirt

I remember this. No one in my algebra class got it, my teacher didnt pick on me because I already knew the answer, bastard. He said to give the others a chance, what chance? Everyone in the class is either gonna end up a prostitute or in jail, except me, I'm gonna be in a mental hospital. Oh yeah, it didnt go anywhere. You spent $97 and paid each parent dollars, you kept one for yourself. 97 + 2 + 3 = 100.

I like that you draw distinctions between jail and mental hospitals.

People are stupid, that's why this "riddle" exists.

People aren't necessarily so stupid as they are bored.

People aren't necessarily so stupid as they are bored.

My brothers actually thought it to be true and went as far as saying there was something wrong with math... :facepalm:

You see a shirt that costs $97.

You borrow $100 from your parents, $50 from each.

You buy the shirt and get $3 change.

You give each of your parents a dollar and keep the 3rd for yourself.

You now owe each parent $49.

Correct

49 + 49 = 98 + $1 = 99.

What exactly are you adding up? The $49s are not with you, or your parents atm. The $1 is already in your possession. Yes, you owe each of them $49 dollars and since they already got $1 each, that means you intend to pay back all $100. If you were to return your $1 to one parent, you'd owe him/her $48 and the other $49, which adds up to $97, the price of the shirt.

What other dollar?

oh look, it's behind your ear!

but seriously, I couldn't figure this one out on my own.

though it might be because I got out of bed like 15 minutes ago...