unlz-gba issue

Jubby

I've been working on a map sprite for a Black Knight animation I have made, but when I try to insert it into my ROM with unlz, it says my image is not indexed. I've looked it up and it seems like the most likely reason for this is that my image is not a 16-colour png, but it is... mellow.gif Are there any ways to fix this? I'll attach the map sprite, it's a Zephiel edit.

post-3733-066528400 1315066706_thumb.png

Did you try to edit it in a painting program? Dump the graphics as a raw file and edit them with an intended graphics editor, like YY-CHR or Tile Molester. You cannot exceed the 16-index because the editors don't support that. Most of the painting programs aren't intended to work with index-limited files and don't pay attention to that sort of stuff.

Otherwise you need to find a way to reorder the color indexes to remove the excess ones. This problem has been a pain for numerous people across the years, myself included, but no one seems to have ever created a program that would easily allocate the indexes for you. The few that are around which say they do all have their issues :/

I used Usenti, but I decided to try it with GBAGE instead. I managed to insert it, but the palette's messed up. (I'll put a picture) I decided to just rearrange the colours on my sprite so it coincides with the right palette when I insert it with GBAGE.

post-3733-075010500 1315071427_thumb.png

1) unlz-GBA is SOOOOOOOO obsolete man. GBAGE is a hundred times better.

2) try following a map sprite editing tutorial (if there is one, anyway)

3) you want to keep the colors used in the same order. this is best done by using a program like Usenti to edit the image and then saving as a non-transparent 8bpp PNG. Usenti keeps palettes in line most of the time so that when you re-insert it the palette is the same as when you ripped it. It's very useful for this reason (note that Usenti is special in that it was created with GBA hacking in mind).

The thing was, I stupidly changed all the colours to normal, then switched them back to black and white, which screwed up the order for the palette sad.gif I'm gonna redo it without doing that, though, just leave it in black and white, and I think it oughta fix the problem :) That may be what caused my indexing issue as well. Thanks for all your help, by the way smile.gif