SF Mafia Info Dump & Resources

Kaoz

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

So last night it came to my attention that people are under the impression that watcher+doctor is op because they can simply target each other and carry each other to endgame. Now, this in itself is false due to the commonplace existence of hookers, strongmen, ninjas and maybe safeguards in scumteams. Even looking past scum roles one should realise that protecting each other like so means their overall net value to the town as a whole is no better, nay worse, than that of a pair of townie-looking vanillas with infinite BPVs. Additionally, this is overlooking how on earth these two roles came to trust each other in such a confident way in the first place, and how everyone in the town will come to think so in lylo. Having both at once is usually overboard however, due to how difficult it is to break a protection chain of watcher-doc-PR which is the ideal for the two's existence, setup dependent.

Now this misunderstanding is easily sorted out by itself but it points to this strange attraction to the prospect of self-preservation of protective roles, and maybe roles outside of that. Your goal as Doctor is not to survive it's to keep other people alive so that they can catch scum. Yes, you have to stay alive to do that, but that doesn't mean the thing you need to focus on most is how to live another day. This is what prompted me to go "gosh no wonder protective roles get lynched D1 all the time you guys are so bad at them" yesterday because if your priority is staying alive then it's very easy to confuse you with scum who share that priority. To be honest this could easily be extended outside of protection roles but I feel like people fawn over them as if they are the greatest things ever and so maybe the problem lies just there,

In general if you see one, a pair or a group of roles, whether you're a generic player, town leader or a host, you should think "how could this/these role(s) best catch scum" and not "how can they best stay alive". I feel like this advice might be bordering on pointlessly obvious but in the off chance it's not here it is *shrug*

I'm pretty sure the point of a turbo is you get lynched before you can claim. Eli in FAYZ. Not that you just don't bother claiming. Psych in ITTD. So I don't blame the doctors for constantly dying.

iirc Darros was one of the earlier people to vote you and then since he didn't claim someone thought they were putting you at L-1 and instead you got lynched.

• 3 months later...

As the resident "New Guy" at SF, would anybody care if I wrote some things I've learned as a new player, and what I think are some tips for anyone thinking of joining their first game?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I forgot to post them before, but all of these deserve to be in here:

No matter what I don't want a last-minute wagon outside of you, Snike and maaaaaybe Paper unless the wagon picks up significant traction (at least 3 vote) before we're down to 12 hours left. Shit never works and is a #1 cause of threadspam.

once Bossanova and Rose get their votes down I'd like to get a hammer before deadline if we could, we have a bunch of content already and I'm so done with this D1

I want to end the day early if possible - it's been a draining day and letting it drag on just lets people second-guess themselves and adds more to the catch-up pile for Rose and Mancer.

Best to just pick a person and lynch. Treating D1 lynches like they're D3 lynches results in last minute turbowagons on a guy nobody really has anything on, then D2 is D1.5.

If people want to lynch outside of Snike they need to get consolidating now and not later.

Everyone should be able to recite this kind of lynch policy in their sleep.

• 4 weeks later...

Surviving your First Mafia Game with Lord Gaius

What's up guys, Lord Gaius here, finally putting up this guide. When I initially started writing this, I was fresh off the boat from my third mafia game, and writing a guide specifically for new players surviving their first game. While I'm more of a veteran now, I still think a guide like this is one of the few things lacking in the info dump. The first game is an incredibly crucial part of any mafia player's experience. It is often viewed as a huge hurdle to new players and can frighten them out of joining a game. I'm here to give you guys a few tips that can help you on your way to understanding the game.

Disclaimer: This guide is targeted towards NOC (No Outside Contact) players. Check out Paperblade and Kaoz's guides regarding OC (Outside Contact).

Tip 1: Read. Read, read, and read again. It doesn't matter what alignment you are, without throughly reading the game you can't follow what other players are saying. Veterans will understand that you are new, and give you leeway to start beginning your understanding of the game. You can show your commitment by diligently viewing the thread. It will be a lot of posts generally, but this is your major way of showing you want to be an effective player.

Tip 2: Questions are also a very important part of a new mafia player's arsenal. There will be terminology you don't understand, roles with powers you've never seen, and it all is a lot to take in for a beginning player. Don't be afraid to tell people you don't understand what the hell is going on! Veterans are happy to guide new players through the early stages of a game. If you're intent on learning, it will make it enjoyable to play with you.

Tip 3: Being careful with how you divulge your role information. There are only a few specific situations you should ever claim, be it town or mafia. If you are about to be lynched, claiming your role and any results you've gotten will help town even if you still end up being lynched. As mafia, you can even fakeclaim to cause confusion among the town, or claim your role if it will possibly protect you from being lynched. Another situation you might want to claim is if you have incriminating evidence against another player. A cop result as mafia, a track towards the player who was nightkilled, these are times that it would be useful to claim. Be wary, however, mafia can fake incriminating evidence as well if they really need to get rid of a player for some reason.

Tip 4: Use your vote effectively. Often, a good vote can say what a wallpost does in two words. Your vote is a way to show where you currently stand on who's town and who's scum. One of the more common ways of scumhunting is to analyze voting patterns. You can determine that this person is switching their vote too often and being indecsive. Another person might have been focusing on one person very hard, while ignoring most of the other players, and their vote staying on one person can show this. You can find a lot of information based on how you vote. Another common scum tell is when players are afraid to vote for people, so they have a way to back out of making reads.

And now for a couple tips based on whether you are town or mafia!

Town: So, here you are, ready to jump in and find the scum. While I'm sure you're confident in yourself, other players have had much more experience. One common misconception is that following another case is always bad. If you find a player who you think is town, and agree with one of their cases, sheep it by all means! There's no harm in supporting someone you trust. Make sure to give your own input on why you agree with the case, however. You can't survive a whole game sheeping. Other than that, if you have a power role, be sure to study your role's abilities and make educated choices on who to target. Have an investigative role? Target someone you think could be mafia. Protective role? Decide who you think is likely to be nightkilled.

Mafia: The good thing about rolling mafia in your first game is that you get your scum buddies to help you out. The bad news is, it can be hard to keep the persona of being uninformed when your teammates are helping you. Take care to make sure you aren't sounding too confident in yourself. You are just a newb townie in his first game after all! Even if your scum buddies have told you what you need, asking questions in thread can lead to some easy towncred. Make sure not to spill information your scumbuddies may have told you either. Being too informed is a very easy scumslip to make. Other than that, try and execute most of the town tips as well.

Here are two games that I either enjoyed and learned things from, or participated in. It would help enhance your understanding of Mafia if you read these games.

Kirby Mafia by Prims- The closest thing to an open setup, all the roles (except the mystery powers) were known at the beginning of the game, and each role was given to a player on Night 1, by all the players themselves. This created lots of interesting discussion about how roles were given, and the game had a thrilling conclusion if I say so myself.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=42571

AM/PM 2 Mafia by Boron- This was my first game rolling mafia, and it had a mechanic where half the players can talk in the night, and half in the day. Although it was a slightly town sided setup, the limited communication led to interesting conflicts with both sides. Scum and Town had to use their announcements and courier messages to give reads and be active.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53097

Hope all you readers are hyped to join your first game! LG signing off.

Edited by Lord Gaius

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My takeaway from that is walls of text are bad and everyone should be like me

We both know that there's only one person who we need to tell this to

• 2 months later...