Anybody who doesn't like it can three themselves.

Nayr Farros

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm too lazy sleepy to try drawing anything right now, I feel like the arrow feathers could definitely be improved. Idk if I could manage getting the appearance down, myself, but maybe when I'm not being lazy sleepy I can try showing what I think the arrow part should look.

It's just that they tend to look... idk a bit more rectangular at the ends rather than triangular.

The strap thingy looks kinda odd. Its shape is really rounded and maybe a little too.... uhhh... constant? Idk, it's just that it should frame the shape of his shoulder and chest better and the shape they come out as from the curve in the strap is kinda weird. I think that could use some adjusting =3

It also looks weird with so much of the lightest colour on it sitting against the shirt and it also looks odd with so much dark on the right side of it.

I think that's all I see on it for atm =o

Edited by Freohr Datia

Looks great, but the arrows bother me too (he's going to have a hard time destroying adventurer's hopes and dreams anytime soon).

-The fletchings/feathers are overlayed over each other kind of oddly. I'd expect them to overlap from left to right or right to left, not centre out.

- There is no notch on the arrow, at least one that's a viable pinch point.

? 90-deg cut on the fletching, haven't seen those.

Edited by Lenh

Everybody's a critic.

I think I'm the first person to ever even sprite arrows, and you guys expect every little detail in a 10x11 pixel image that is only six colors and has to be lumped together with a half a dozen duplicates. Its ridiculous. When its zoomed out, it'll look like a motley of random pixels no matter how intricate it is.

Why is this a surprise to you

>post something

>someone comments and says it looks weird

Logical thing to do: See if you can fix it/ask for more detail on the weirdness/ask for outside help

Nayr thing to do: Complain that people are finding flaws in something you could care less about because you're the first to do something

Edited by Kitty of Time

I think I'm the first person to ever even sprite arrows

32f64b3e6c359739103059896b5d7655.png?1346974137

Ye--nope. Old sprite, but you get the idea and more examples exist because arrows in quivers are a medieval thing and this is a medieval series of games: even if you were the first person to do it, you shouldn't give up there!

Arrows are not easy. I suggest less arrows so it looks less like a mess like you say, and perhaps having a bit more variation in the length of the arrows? People have given you the suggestions to make it stellar! Everyone is trying to help you make a better sprite, man. I don't really get why people post on here if they don't like being critiqued.

(edit because Brainfreeze was super right about that arrow being long)

Edited by Mewiyev

Everybody's a critic.

I think I'm the first person to ever even sprite arrows, and you guys expect every little detail in a 10x11 pixel image that is only six colors and has to be lumped together with a half a dozen duplicates. Its ridiculous. When its zoomed out, it'll look like a motley of random pixels no matter how intricate it is.

But.... but..... *sniff*

Why are you so mean? ;A; I was only trying to help =[ They just didn't look right in shape...

I didn't even say you were bad for not getting it right the first try, of course I wouldn't expect that...

I guess I won't try showing what I think they should look like then cause you'll just yell at me again ;~;

If you think you're the first, then try to take everyone's suggestions in, so that you set a good precedent?

(hint: you're not, because someone attempted it on FETO)

• 1 month later...

Hey Nayr!

I'm liking Cain so far, but his face needs some retooling. It looks like the poor guy's nose got punched in, haha. (Or maybe he landed-nose first after an unfortunate bout of jousting...)

I suggest something like this:

46b29208836ebbfefea50f5034406761.png?1350936947

Push the mouth to the right one px, and widen it a bit.

Move the nose to the left one px, and give it more shape on the bottom, so it doesn't look flat/straight.

Hope this helps! Keep it up.

Yeah I'd already been screwing around with his face.

The mouth the way you did it makes him kinda look like he's having a stroke, tbh. All drooping over to his left. It's also a bit too wide for his body size. Cain's head is more turned the other way as well.

Cain-2.png

Edited by Harbinger

I definitely like the mouth on Astel's edit better, the tiny little mouth you have looks like he's pursing his lips or something. Astel mouth is manly, almost a smirk

Cain's the serious one as I recall, a smirk wouldn't suit him.

I like Astel's spriting style, but her edit makes it look like Cain's mouth is being yanked into his left cheek and everything else is left untouched.

Plus I've already been correcting the angle from the original I posted last night. I leveled the eyes and probably will edit the far cheek and chin as well.

And the gold prize goes to AstraLunaSol for best edit. :p

Although his cheeks look more round in the DS sprites, so I don't think he needs the blotch of second shade which defines his cheekbones.

Edited by Harbinger

if you're talking about the FE9 backgrounds, then basically just play FE9. Those are just colour reduced and compressed versions of the original FE9 backgrounds. :P And they're only links because you're supposed to download them and use them in your hack, they're not posted so you can look at them :3

if you're talking about something else i probably look like a complete moron