Ragefest 3: Douchey Today, Relieved Tomorrow

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say, when you say "adding ______", where are you adding them? Just some .txt on your computer that you'll use when explaining the rules in a video? Because I don't see the first post having these things XD

I'm writing it down in a text pad. I don't intend to update the first post until everything is in place.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Oh, one more custom use thing I thought of. Best use of (custom) aesthetics (or you could separate this into graphics and sound). I mean, you should definitely make it much, much harder (or impossible) for an FEXP game to get these, but they could go to people who find a really creative, emotional, or just plain lulzy way to use their own sprites (mugs, battle sprites, etc.) and MIDIs or, better yet, great, unique ways of using preexisting resources. I don't know exactly how someone would get this, but it's just an idea.

Oh, one more custom use thing I thought of. Best use of (custom) aesthetics (or you could separate this into graphics and sound). I mean, you should definitely make it much, much harder (or impossible) for an FEXP game to get these, but they could go to people who find a really creative, emotional, or just plain lulzy way to use their own sprites (mugs, battle sprites, etc.) and MIDIs or, better yet, great, unique ways of using preexisting resources. I don't know exactly how someone would get this, but it's just an idea.

Aye. Well, a "Best graphics" award would probably be better for some other contest honestly. Not many people are gonna bother changing graphics in their hack, and I'd imagine it would be difficult for people to decide what submission had the best graphics unless one entry actually bothered to change the graphics.

And plus, FEXP has a huge advantage in this regard. I can't just "make it harder" for a FEXP submission to get this award, because that takes a dump on the graphical effort put into the submission.

I don't like any of these ideas in fact.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

- Fog of War with vision distance less than 3 requires an easy and early to obtain torch or thief.

- Fire Emblem 5 styled Fog of War with vision distance less than 5 requires an easy and early to obtain torch or thief.

Just a brief comment on the wording because I think you should different wording than just "thief" (you can make a thief with normal vision or someone not a thief have extended vision) so perhaps better wording would "unit with 5 or more vision distance"

Just a brief comment on the wording because I think you should different wording than just "thief" (you can make a thief with normal vision or someone not a thief have extended vision) so perhaps better wording would "unit with 5 or more vision distance"

Good suggestion.

I'll change it.

I have revised the ruleset.

Ragefest Contest III

Goal: Make a creative single chapter Fire Emblem ROM hack that is both rage-inducing, and hilarious.

TERMINOLOGIES

FOW - Fog of War/Night of War

SFOW - Strict Fog of War (FOW without the ability to see the map outside of unit vision)

VDB - Vision Distance Bonus (Used for units who can see farther in FOW than normal)

RNG - Random Number Generator (Used to determine random factors in the game, such as if an attack will hit or not)

RULES

Requirements:

1. A single chapter made in one of the GBA Fire Emblems, or with FEXP, using custom events

2. A guide for your chapter. Preferably as a .txt file (I will look at it if I get stuck, or after I beat your submission).

FOW Rules:

1. If FOW is used in the chapter and it's vision distance is 3 or less, a torch or Unit with VDB must be obtainable either prior to, or within the first two turns of the FOW activation.

2. If SFOW is used in the chapter and it's vision distance is 5 or less, a torch or unit with VDB must be obtainable either prior to, or within the first two turns of the SFOW activation.

Bans:

1. Arenas are banned

Your chapter will be disqualified if:

1. It requires too much RNG bias to beat.

2. It is extremely cryptic, and the player has no reasonable way to figure out how to beat it, even with your guide or in-game hints.

RECOMMENDATIONS

1. If you wish to ensure that I will showcase all of the content in your submission, include directions on how to showcase it all in your guide. I will look at the guide if I get stuck, or if I beat your submission, and don't mind going back to showcase stuff.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Your chapter will be disqualified if:

1. It requires too much RNG bias to beat.

2. It is extremely cryptic, and the player has no reasonable way to figure out how to beat it, even with your guide or in-game hints.

I feel like both of these rules are derived from my last submission, even if they were already somewhat there, mine had both too much RNG "bias" as you call it and could be considered cryptic given it required a higher level of intelligence than the average person has

EDIT: Oh I'm saying this in a joking manner btw, I just looked back and it wasn't so obvious that I was totally teasing XD actually it was totally not obvious :P

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

I feel like both of these rules are derived from my last submission, even if they were already somewhat there, mine had both too much RNG "bias" as you call it and could be considered cryptic given it required a higher level of intelligence than the average person has

EDIT: Oh I'm saying this in a joking manner btw, I just looked back and it wasn't so obvious that I was totally teasing XD actually it was totally not obvious :P

Blazer, it was far to cryptic for me to tell you were teasing. Your mouth is disqualified from talking.

The cryptic rule has existed since Ragefest 2.

Same goes for the luck based rule. Came from Ragefest 2.

Looks like someone didn't read the rules when he gave his submission in on Ragefest 2~ (HINT: I MAY OR MAY NOT BE TEASING BACK, DEPENDING ON YOUR INTELLIGENCE)

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

If my only notable response was laughter (in my head anyway, laughing out loud takes too much energy) then what does that mean? XP

Btw are disqualified hacks able to get "most frustrating" as the award even if they can't win the main competition or whatever? Just wondering

If my only notable response was laughter (in my head anyway, laughing out loud takes too much energy) then what does that mean? XP

Btw are disqualified hacks able to get "most frustrating" as the award even if they can't win the main competition or whatever? Just wondering

Funny you should mention that actually. I've been thinking about how I plan to disqualify a hack, and I feel the most fair way is to show myself playing the hack, and having people vote if it offends the rules enough to be disqualified.

But to answer your question, no. Disqualified hacks cannot win any awards, and even if they could, it wouldn't be likely that they'd earn one. If I notice the game absolutely requires me to abuse the RNG for example, I'd just cheat and give myself infinite check points to compensate, since I feel that it's only fair. This would greatly decrease the frustration factor of the submission, and thus, wouldn't likely get "most frustrating".

It wouldn't win the "most creative" award either since luck based difficulty is an indication of poor creativity.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

The neat thing IMO about Ragefest is that the community actually collectively figures out things about good challenging game design through the process. We're forced to elucidate why we find certain things to be a legitimate or illegitimate source of challenge and/or frustration.

The neat thing IMO about Ragefest is that the community actually collectively figures out things about good challenging game design through the process. We're forced to elucidate why we find certain things to be a legitimate or illegitimate source of challenge and/or frustration.

Hahaha. I didn't actually notice that, but when I come to think of it, I agree.

I have a few reasons why I started the Ragefest and still continue doing it. One of those reasons is because I feel it is a good incentive for productivity in the FE Hacking community. You make a difficult ROM hack, and in exchange, you get to watch someone play your work, and get completely flustered and enraged by the trials induced by the sadist within you. Not only that, but you get recognized for your work, and

. What better motivation can you ask for?

Another reason why Ragefest continues, the more selfish of the two reasons, is because I want to get views, subscriptions, and comments. It helps keep me motivated to make more videos knowing that people are interested in what I upload.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Methinks the strikethrough indicates that I was in jest, but I probably did misread it.

Oh.

Also, some of you may already know this, but I am in fact going to make an entry in the Ragefest. Astra will be commentating on my entry.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Oh shit guys REVENGE OF THE MUMBLEM

My body is not ready

Believe it or not, it will have nothing to do with Fire Mumblem, but will have a similar sense of humor.

My decision to join the Ragefest was mainly due to a suggestion of a friend (JadeWyvernRider). I thought it'd be a fun experience. Looking at it, joining the contest is also putting me in the perspective of the creator. I've been considering changing the rules of the contest a bit to allow for a bit more freedom.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990