[Final Fantasy VI] Ah, we're back to the best FF game ever

Bluedoom

TO ULTROS 1 (-7)

Killed off Sabin and Edgar ASAP, Terra and Banon reached level 6. Ran from Lesser Lopros, because Fireball OHKO'd my entire party.

Ultros himself was easy. Banon prayed and then defended when Ultros went after him individually, Terra spammed Fire until Ultros died. Used an Ether, and nothing else.

TO PHANTOM TRAIN (-6)

I only fought like the forced battles that don't exp anyway, an additional magitek armour battle for Hi-Potions, and some angel whisperers that pincer attacked me. Aura Cannon is OP.

Edited by General Horace

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll see if it was worth it.

It probably is. You gain 3k in cash from South Figaro, 5k from Narshe, another 8k from selling both of your Hyper Wrists and those three amounts should tide you over until the Esper Caves. After that, the Imperial Post opens up and that's 41k sitting there in straight cash. Not to mention all the useless shit you can sell along the way.

Level 3 Banon is weak sauce, but I don't want to level Terra anymore. The problem is I have to get through 3 full rounds of Ultros's script (Terra can cast Fire 15 times for 200+ damage each, just enough), which just isn't probable. Time to sleep on it.

TO THAT FISH THING IN THE WATERFALL (-5)

Aura Cannon spam, heal when nescessary.

TO TUNNEL ARMOUR (-18)

Celes runic'd, Locke spammed attacks. Stole another Air Knife. Time for Narshe...

TO HELL RIDER (-17)

Locke stole the Mythril Vest, then ate a Silver Lance to the face. Gau and Cyan killed him easily.

Avoided all the enemies.

TO KEFKA(-29)

Locke was on potion duty, he was able to survive a blizzara with the barrier ring. Gau just raeged and Cyan used Fang.

Edited by General Horace

Boogie on down to the Opera House. Ultros is up to his usual tricks so we gotta stop him. Managed to cheese my way past the rats without fighting them (I fucked up, I shouldn't have AP trained Sabin before this and just waited for now for 15 AP) which was really nice but it took a LONG time and a lot of restarts.

And Ultros' first words when I get to him?

"Oh, rats!"

:facepalm:

Anyway, Locke simply punched himself in the face all battle and it was the Sabin and Edgar show. Sabin went down to a pair of Acid Rains after returning the favor with Aura Cannons, Edgar quickly revived him after summoning Ramuh, Sabin pulled off another Aura Cannon, died again and Edgar finished Ultros off with a pair of Drills. -17 for Ultros is a pretty nice score (General Horace will beat it but he's got three guys... :P).

Setzer kidnaps Celes like usual and pilots my ass to Albrook. Save because I'm heading out for brunch and going to my uncle's afterwards (last bus stops running in 2 and a bit hours).

LATER:

After doing the math, I realized how badly I fucked that one up. Note to self for future FFVI drafts, the 15 AP required for the Ifrit/Shiva fight is best collected on the rafters from 2x Stunner, 1x Goetia formations rather than the trip from Zozo to Jidoor. Oh well. Trial and error.

Albrook has nothing but an Elixir. I fight a pretty rough battle on the way to Tzen (2x Litwor Chicken, 1x Don, 1x Wyvern) for a level up for both Sabin and Edgar but more importantly, 3 AP. Sabin needs a single fight for 2 AP now and I'll do that in the IMRF. The Tzen Relic shop has a Black Belt for sale. I don't have one. Since I know I never sold one, it means that I got screwed fighting the General with Cyan. Thinking back to my Fewest Steps Run, Celes needed it for Inferno since she didn't want to face Meteor. Nothing Terra has equipment-wise will stop it (barring 128% MEvade) so I go the safe route and drop 5k on a Black Belt.

Yeah, I'm already thinking of Kefka's Tower. Sue me.

Maranda's the only interesting town equipment-wise. Mythril Mail, Mythril Helm, Green Beret and Priest's Miter plus a Trident. The Trident is Water elemental which will do a bit of damage to the Cranes. Edgar's other options are Chainsaw and Drill but this is motherfucking effective damage. I buy one for 1.7k because I really don't think I can go wrong with this purchase. Suddenly I wish I had a Gauntlet for even more damage. But the Genji Glove is too useful vs. Tunnel Armour. Might try it out the next time I pull Edgar in this kind of draft.

The Armour situation is a little trickier. The obvious purchases are the Green Beret and Mythril Mail. But this runs me about 6.5k and leaves me with under 3k. Normally, this isn't a problem but the issue is that I have Thamasa to worry about. More specifically, Flame Eater. My plan is to have Terra break 2 Ice Rods on the sucker. I get one for free from the Burning House but I need to buy the second. That's 3k. I get no money from bosses so from selling shit, I have barely enough money. And there's really good armour in Thamasa. I know I get 41k almost immediately afterwards but 30k of that is designated for Espers with a possible 3k going to a third (depends if I feel that I need Seraph now or later). That's 8k remaining at worst. This might be tight. I buy only the Green Beret and leave my total money at 6.2k. A chocobo ride later and I hit Vector.

I take out the two Guards in the healing house for negligible Exp and cash. The stores in Vector sell rubbish so I don't even bother with them. Instead, I book it for the IMRF. Cool beans.

The IMRF is a fun place. After getting Celes and Locke killed off, I have Edgar Noiseblaster the place so that the brothers can run in peace. To help Edgar, I give him the Hermes Sandals so that he has Auto Haste. I'll pull them off before Ifrit/Shiva but for right now, it does wonders. I also Flash a group of Onion Knights for 3 AP, enough to teach Sabin Slow. Good times are ahead. It nets me pretty shit Exp and 500 Gil (very nice). The more notable items that I snag from this place are the three elemental blades, Dragoon Boots (gonna need these), a Zephyr Cloak and a Golden set.

Once I get down to Ifrit/Shiva, I quickly realized that Sabin is relegated to only Raging Fist due to not being level 15. That means that Earrings on him are useless and that I probably should have kept a Hyper Wrist. Oh well, that 4k is more important. I give Sabin the Zephyr Cloak and a Reflect Ring in order to make him more durable.

The actual battle went so much better than I expect. Slow on Ifrit makes him much more managable and Edgar alternated between Drill and Chainsaw (I was trying not to pull the ID part of Chainsaw since that's a wasted turn). Sabin played healer since he was basically invincible with the Reflect Ring. Shiva showed up after a bit and Sabin slowed her too. The Reflect Ring turned out key at this point since she killed Edgar with a couple of Blizzard counters. Sabin revived Edgar and the two hit Shiva enough to bring Ifrit back out. Ifrit then tried to Firaga Sabin only to hit the Reflect Ring and do zilch. A couple of turns later, the Espers gave up.

Moral of the story: Reflect is god. -19 for Ifrit/Shiva.

I grabbed my magicite and gave Shiva to Sabin and Ifrit to Edgar. Switched Edgar's Trident to the Flametongue too. Found Number 024 a little while later and absolutely trashed him with Sleep. Had Edgar quickly summon Ifrit and then switch over to Thunder spamming (went with the Thunder Blade too at this point). Sabin summoned Shiva, abused Aura Cannon and Slept Number 024 when he had to. MY GOD, TOO MOTHERFUCKING EASY! Same levels means that I scored a -25 on him.

Edited by Bblader

Is it ok to level Banon by himself? He should count for the Ultros encounter as well, that should lower your scores. My problem is that Terra should be fine at level 7, but I need Banon to have more HP. What do you guys think?

I answered my own question. I have to level Terra as well. It's in the rules. Ah well, a few points won't hurt.

This is weird...now Banon is dying more easily...oh...I forgot to put Banon in the back row. Boy I am dumb sometimes. At any rate, I got Banon to level 5 without getting a level for Terra, so let's try this.

Edited by Whitefang

Ah, the cart ride. The best part of this game.

First off, the cart ride is forced Exp. You cannot run. So all of you suckers with lower levels than me get slightly more screwed than me. Secondly, Edgar and Sabin are gods here, especially against Number 128.

Speaking of Number 128, the bastard has two friends with him. Right Blade and Left Blade. Taking both of them out is always nice since the difficulty of the battle drops (note, there is none to begin with) at this point. Sabin hit him with a quick Slow (just to stop the Blood Feasts) and Edgar summoned Kirin for some Regen (was having trouble figure out who I should summon). Turns out that Regen was enough to keep me alive and I didn't have to toss many potions. Quite nice. Since Sabin and Edgar both gained levels from the Magna Roaders, I get a -21 from this fight.

Quickly set up Edgar for the Cranes. Sabin's good (and is trying to learn Rasp ASAP) while this is the last fight Edgar will be in. Edgar gets Bismarck and the Dragoon Boots for this battle. Time to test out the Trident.

And... the Cranes. The Cranes may be the most bullshit boss of this entire game. Seriously. It's a pincer formation on you and their attacks hurt if they hit your back. Both have a decent amount of HP (high enough that it takes 2 Aura Cannons and a Bubble Breach to down one of them) and both use high level Magic. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

It's a very simple concept in theory. Sabin uses Aura Cannon to pile on as much damage as possible while Edgar starts with Bubble Breach and then jumps afterwards. In practice, it really depends on the enemy AI. Magic is going to hurt so hope for Level 1 Spells MT'd or sniping at the opposite Crane. Attacks want to be blocked (best case scenario) or hitting frontwards characters at worst. A back critical is going to OHKO you. I had to fight them multiple times before I succeeded and both Edgar and Sabin lived through the battle (I wanted Sabin alive at the very least). Another -21 received.

Now I get the Blackjack so I can fly around and figure out my next move.

TO DUADULMA (-40)

Locke gained a level in a pincer attack fight >.>

Gau used an Alacran rage to stop Duadulma in his tracks, and I just hacked away at him until he died. He only got like 1 attack off all fight.

I stole a bunch of stuff to sell, because I had little money in the first place. My entire team got OHKO'd by a Veil dancer once >.>

Yeah, I know, Gau was ragin' though and killed everything on the other side before I could run, dumb mistake. Oh well.

TO ULTROS (-28)

I killed the rats to get Slow for later, everyone gained a level. Gau two shotted Ultros with Aspiran Rage. GG.

TO IFRIT (-34)

Gau killed Shiva with the bomb rage. Everyone had reflect rings, and were invincible.

TO NUMBER 24 (-43)

Put to sleep and kill slowly.

TO NUMBER 128 (-37)

Gau's Aspirin Rages easily took care of the Magna Roaders and the boss.

TO CRANES (-37)

Aqua Breath! That is all.

Edited by General Horace

OK guys, gonna take a breather at this point. I can't continue for a little bit due to drafting into the army tomorrow.

Also, General Horace is going to destroy us all thanks to have 3 guys for the majority of the game. WOW. My only hope is that I can replicate that kind of epicosity during the WoR but it's unlikely.

Trust me, you guys with 4 people in the WoR will win this. The boss levels are wayyy higher there. And my levels would definately be higher if Gau wasn't absolutely ridiculous during this stretch.

Edited by General Horace

• 2 weeks later...

List of mistakes so far:

- Not getting Sabin's AP from the Opera House Rats

- Not getting the Gold Hairpin (instead of Mog) before Cave to the Sealed Gate

Expect this list to keep growing.

Ran through the Cave to the Sealed Gate with Edgar and Sabin. Edgar abused the Noiseblaster so that the brothers could run safely. It was awesome. Got all the treasures from the cave too (not that any of them will come in handy).

After that, the Imperial Banquet comes next. The idea here is that I want to open up both Doma and the Imperial Observation Post. Which means a minimum of 67 points. 49 are gained from the banquet itself (5 from the Imperial Elite fight which gives 200 Exp each) which leaves me with a solid 18 left to grab. Funny enough, there are exactly 18 soldiers that won't fight you. Running from soldiers gives you a point but you can't run from the Armoured ones. I snag 22 points from shooting the shit with the soldiers and the other 49 from the feast. Sabin and Edgar plowed through the Imperial Elites like they were nothing. Neither of them leveled from the fight which was nice. Sabin and Edgar hit the bench (Edgar being permanent) having carried me through the entire midgame.

Terra and Locke time.

• 4 months later...

I restarted my run. Couple of things different this time.

- I took the Gauntlet instead of the Genji Glove from Banon. My reasoning is that I'll have Edgar jump during the Crane battle. We'll see how that works out.

- Managed to shave off a level somewhere which lead to a lower Zozo and onwards score. Nice job.

- Got my 15 AP at the rats in the Opera House. Allows Sabin to equip Cait Sith for +1 Magic when he levels (doesn't do too much but does add a wee bit more damage).

- Grabbing a Black Belt from the General fight saves 5k when you get to Vector. Make sure it drops. Same idea with Green Berets (somehow I have 3 and I don't remember grinding on the Veldt at all).

- Number 024 is still trashed by Sleep.

- Shame that Edgar can't get 1 more AP with Ramuh on before the cart ride to learn Poison. Doesn't really matter since Number 128 and Cranes are immune to it but still.

• 5 weeks later...

- Cranes is a complete bitch with only Edgar and Sabin. A lot of luck let me snag a -25 on them but I really wish that I had a second Reflect Ring.

- A trip back to Narshe reveals the Poison Rod in shop. I'm going to need to break a couple on Humbaba. I buy 3 for a total of 4.5k to leave my money supply at 9.5k. A total of 14.5k gold is left for Thamasa Armour. 2 Gaia Gear (essentially for Shadow and Setzer) run me 12k so money will still be tight.

- A nice chase of Lone Wolf nets me the Gold Hairpin. I don't need Mog whatsoever during the WoB so I figure that the Gold Hairpin will be a lot more help.

- Humbaba still has me stumped. No idea how I'm going to kill him. I'll have Setzer and Shadow by that time but still...

Edited by Life Admiral

- Once again, made my way through the Cave to the Sealed Gate. None of the treasures save for the Heiji's Jitte and possibly the Water Scroll (this does include the Ultima Weapon) are going to be very useful. Heiji's Jitte might get me past the King Behemoth (before he's Undead) so it could be useful.

- A lot of later bosses really have me stumped. Ultima Weapon and Dullahan need to go down to Rasp but I can't figure out how Setzer's going to learn it. I don't even have a strategy for Air Force or Ultros. King Behemoth on a Setzer solo is going to suck. It's stuff like that which really confuses me.

- A selling binge takes me to about 22.5k Gil before Thamasa. I hold off on buying Hi-Potions because I want to see what I can buy at Thamasa.

- An Ice Rod, 2 Gaia Gears and a Mystery Veil take me down to 2k and some change. I don't spend the rest on Hi-Potions yet because I can get them at Figaro for half price. To me, the Mystery Veil is about 10x better than the Green Beret so I don't mind eating the loss. I also get to sell stuff like a Golden Armour and other expensive armours for a little extra money AKA 7k extra.

- Strago dies in the first Bomb battle which is great for me. I raid the house of an Ice Rod and Flame Rod and then come across Liquid Flame. And this might take me a while.

- It took me a long time to figure out Flame Eater. 2x Earring Terra can barely 3HKO him with Ice Rods. Problem is that she has to live that long. My first time beating Flame Eater needed Strago because Strago's Aqua Breath was needed to KO the Balloons around Flame Eater. But since I don't have Strago drafted, that would be a penalty. I then improvised a bit. I went back, bought another Ice Rod (another 3k down the drain) and KO'd Flame Eater's ass. Terra lived, Locke didn't and Terra got some needed AP towards Shiva. I'll think about money again right before the FC.

- Ultros needs 2 Fire Rods, a Reflect Ring and a lot of luck. Locke is on potion duty, Terra is flinging Fire (yes, Fire) and Relm Sketchs Ultros for the kill.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here's a hell of a necropost but here goes.

Restarting this run now. Considering that I just switched jobs and was released from the army early this year, I can do this.

Here's the official restart.

Terra/Biggs/Wedge bust through Narshe and Terra suicides in the pincer formation. Pretty much gives an auto -3 against Ymir. Nice.

In the caves, I grab the Phoenix Down but leave the Sleeping Bag. The PD will actually be more useful to me than the future Guard Bracelet but I'll take a late Elixir.

Locke's party booked it for the Guard Leader and Locke killed himself for a -3 in that battle. So far, I'm working with minimum levels and Edgar's coming up. He'll carry me right up to Thamasa which will be nice.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this run (I've always thought about it but never had the patience to go through with it). I know that nobody else is going to play it now but I'll finish it this time.

Actually managed to beat Vargas with Edgar at level 7 but it involved a lot of misses, close calls and timely Hi-Potion heals. Next time I try this, I'm coming with at least 7 Hi-Potions (barely squeaked by with 3).

And now Ultros turned out to be a bitch. Thank god I had drafted Sabin before the route split, I had forgotten that he'd be present for the Ultros fight.

Level 2 Banon cannot survive MT Tentacle unless the RNG is terrible. He's got 57 HP and I've seen Tentacle do exactly that. That translates to a Game Over. I ended up fighting a battle so that he'd get to Level 3 (83 HP) and healed when absolutely necessary. As long as you beat out Ultros to when he targets Banon, you're good. Edgar got both the Gigas Glove and Hyper Wrist while Sabin had the Hermes Sandals. Took a while but I finally managed to beat Ultros to the punch. At least next time, I'll have Ramuh, Drill and really useful Relics.

Edited by Jim Moriarty

• 2 weeks later...

Updated my score since I'm now at the Opera House. Tunnel Armour, Hell's Rider and Dadaluma were all easy but Kefka required a Desperation Attack from Edgar (3k HP with no Runic as defense sucks). At this point, I'm trying to figure out how to beat Ultros quick enough (or survive long enough, depending on how you look at it). Should take me a few days to get to Thamasa at this point (Ultros and Cranes are the only tricky bosses from this point out until Flame Eater).

Those "few days" are over and I'm past Flame Eater now. I wasn't kidding about working on this. I've been keeping scores and notes on each boss.

Zozo is easy (like usual) and Dadaluma is nothing to write home about. Aside from a few ID pulls on Chainsaw, the battle went as planned.

The Opera House was a bitch. I almost ran out of time on the way to Ultros (I don't know how) so I didn't secure Slow for Sabin. In addition, I fucked up the formation so I had to sit through Ultros's script until he moved back to his original spot. Managed to do it in the end but I remember eating an Imp Song and Lv.3 Confuse (both Sabin and Edgar were Level 9) so I was not happy. Ramuh, 2x Aura Cannon and 2x Chainsaw will down Ultros if you're set up properly.

I managed to be a lot better with my money on the southern continent this time. I spent a long time debating whether I should buy a 2nd Reflect Ring (spoiler: I later found out that it's required for Flame Eater) but didn't. The brothers trashed the Espers (Slow acquired via 5x Onion Knight), Number 024 (Sleep comes with Slow) and Number 128 (brute force works here). And then came the Cranes.

Reflect is vital for this battle but since the Cranes only have 1800 HP, Carbuncle will last the majority of the battle. Everything and their mother will OHKO the brothers but Magnitude 8 is the scariest since it activates after a minute. I got Edgar to jump over that (took a long time to figure out that battle) and finished the IMRF with Edgar at 11 and Sabin at 10. Colour me impressed.

Since I was careful with my money, I could actually afford to go to the auction before the Cave to the Sealed Gate. I picked up Zona Seeker, bought 3 Poison Rods (for Humbaba) and booked my way through the cave. Goodbye Edgar, I'll see you in the WoR.

After that, Locke and Terra made their way to Thamasa and Locke stole 2 Gaia Gears along the way. Excellent. Bought 2 Ice Rods in Thamasa and then tried to save Relm.

At this point, I finally bought that second Reflect Ring and used Locke to summon Espers via the Magitite Shards in my inventory in order to clear out the Balloons that Flame Eater summons. That sets Terra up to use a ST Blizzara from an Ice Rod for about 2.3k damage. A few more attacks from the Icebrand puts Flame Eater in the ground. And that's how you beat a boss at level 8 with no good magic available.

At this point, I'm thinking about Ultros and how to do 10k damage to him (forcing Relm to show up). This should take a day or so, but once I do that, I then have 2/3 of my WoR available (Setzer and Shadow) for the Floating Continent. Can't wait.

We drafted at the tail end of 2011, less than a week before I drafted into the IDF. It is now the first day of 2016 and I have finally made it to the World of Ruin.

Fuck. Yes.

Ultros (3) basically needs 3 Rods and a little more power in order to force Relm (I used my last Magicite Shard and pulled Valigarmanda). Throwing 4 is an auto-win. Nothing to report here. After that, I went shopping with my 41k from the Observation Post. Bought Golem (20k), 3 Thunder Rods and another 3 Poison Rods. Golem and the Thunder Rods turned out to be the best 29k I've ever spent.

That being said, the Imperial Air Force (and Air Force himself) can all go suck a fattie. It is required to choose 3 people for the Floating Continent so I picked Terra for shits and giggles (she's my WoR pick and a first round draft pick too). She stayed dead for the entire time but fuck.

The first problem are the Spitfires. You can't run from the IAF and the Spitfires love Absolute Zero (Game Over). Magitek Laser from the Sky Armours don't help. I pretty much prayed that Setzer would hit Dive Bomb (or better) every Slots pull. Sabin was absolutely fucking key with his double Earring and 1k+ damage from Aura Cannon.

Ultros and Typhon weren't that difficult. Golem is enough protection and Sabin just rips through their HP pools. Setzer healed a bit with Mysidian Rabbit and threw out Prismatic Flashes with the odd Dive Bomb and Chocobo Rampage.

Air Force was the bitch. Let's run through his moves:

Diffractive Laser - Game Over

Atomic Rays - Game Over

Magitek Laser - 2HKO and can be seen twice in a turn.

In order to get rid of Missile Bay and Laser Gun (AKA just Laser Gun), you need 2 Thunder Rods and something else (Prismatic Flash at the very least). But that means that Setzer and Sabin needed to live to that point and Setzer wasn't co-operating for about a good hour. After the two parts went down, I broke the last rod as a ST spell and KO'd his ass. Like I said, the problem was just making it to Turn 2.

I picked up Shadow (drafted him for the FC) and used the Brainpan formations to feed AP into the trio for Rasp and Osmose. All three of my guys equipped a Reflect Ring/Hermes Sandals combo for Ultima Weapon. Sabin slowed the big guy, Setzer put up Golem and it then became a race between trying to Rasp away 5k MP (Ultima has the MP Kill clause in his programming) and me running out of my 5 Phoenix Downs that I had left. Only took 3 to finish him off. Not very exciting but hey, it works.

After that I simply ran down Nelapa with Blitz and Slots. And I am now ready to start the 2nd half of the game. For the record, Sabin was 14, Setzer 13 and Shadow 12 when I beat Ultima Weapon.

And now that Sabin is about to hit the bench for good, I just want to say that you've been an absolute bro this run. Basically auto-locked him for the WoB and he paid off big-time.