Hoenn region tier list

MacLovin

I don't think so. It learns Crunch like 30 levels later than Sharpedo, which means it might not even learn it until E4 (where it would be great for Phoebe), and it gets no physical STAB so it's inferior to a whole lot of other water-types with decent speed.

Well, Crawdaunt's main advantage is that it comes pretty much instantly evolved (just use a Rare Candy) right before Route 119, and is pretty potent there with double STAB Surf. Then it does average against Winona (Rock Tomb or Ice Beam helps it here), but great against Tate and Liza, what with that nice immunity to Psychic along with Surf, Return and Blizzard. It doesn't do great against Juan and Wallace, but it's great against Sidney (well, except for Cacturne) and Glacia since it can learn Brick Break and resists Ice and Water. IB/Blizzard gives it the typical use against Drake.

I could see it move up past Nosepass at the very least, though I think it's at least better than Pikachu.

Also, it doesn't ever learn Ancientpower, Crunch or Shadow Ball, unfortunately.

There's also a Double-Edge tutor available in Sootopolis, maybe Exploud would have a use for it...

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crawdaunts lack of a good dark stab not called crunch, IMO, is offset by its attack and access to BB-killing Glacia with SD+BB and surf/IB/SB access.

Speaking of Exploud.

Methinks it could rise a place of 2.

Access to many TMs

Immune to ghost, and hitting like an SUV.

Access to SB.

Stab return/strength

Flamethrower/IB, off good sp att.

HP cushion.

Immune to shit like supersonic and sonic boom.

And uproar and growl

Stop being like grandjackal and hyping every single shitty Pokemon out there. Seriously.

Hey. Even I know that Whismur and Crawdaunt are garbage. Whismur with his slow leveling speed and just generally meh stats and late evolution rates. As for Crawdaunt, I recall has an issue with it's speed and the lack of a Sp Atk stat.

Crawdaunt's special attack is fine, about the same as Sharpedo's. Training a slow water-type with an average natural movepool just seems like a bad idea, though it's kinda bulky and has a good defensive typing. Also, I don't see the point in listing every single move a Pokemon learns, especially Ancientpower in case of Crawdaunt, which it requires breeding to learn.

Also, I don't see the point in listing every single move a Pokemon learns, especially Ancientpower in case of Crawdaunt, which it requires breeding to learn.

I quoted this in particular because it's quite true and good as a general rule to follow. When arguing a move for a Pokemon, think about what use that move would have, and how practical it is to get that move. Kind of a "fit the move to the situation, rather than vice versa" Of course, this is probably just common sense, but you never know!

Crawdaunt's progression throughout the game can be broken down into a textual flowchart, kinda. The reason you'd use it is that it comes at a high level and gets lots of time for levels before Tate and Liza, though it really is a slightly bulkier and much slower Sharpedo without a good Dark STAB.

Catch Corphish at Lv. 29-30, RC into Crawdaunt (the reason to even use Crawdaunt to begin with) -> Use STAB Surf to decimate Route 119 -> Self improvement (Winona and Route 120) -> Magma Hideout (Surf) -> Self improvement (Aqua Hideout to Mossdeep) -> Mossdeep Gym (Dark type ahoy!) -> Self improvement (Sootopolis to Victory Road) -> Various E4 uses

Why are so many arguments recently about Low/Bottom? It's mainly that they lack the degree of order that the higher tiers have, and they're quite flexible in that regard. And of course it's easy to just try to get your favorite to ride that sweet hype train up.

I used Crawdaunt in my most recent playthrough of Emerald myself, and it worked great even with a Timid nature. And in the last thread I had used Torkoal and tried to hype it up too

Ok, made some changes.

Raised some lowered some.

ALso

Voltorb could go in Bottom of High.

WTF Speed

Good Special Attack

Self-Destruct/Explosion having WTF BP.

TBolt

TWave

Barrier/Mirror Coat.

Why is Skarmory above Wingull? It comes fairly low before a gym it can't touch, whilst Wingull comes at the start of the game, has two reliable early STABs in Water Gun and Wing Attack, and beats the first two gyms fairly easily.

Also Mawile has instant Intimidate utility, which is more than most of bottom contribute.

Edited by Serious Sam

Why is Skarmory above Wingull? It comes fairly low before a gym it can't touch, whilst Wingull comes at the start of the game, has two reliable early STABs in Water Gun and Wing Attack, and beats the first two gyms fairly easily.

Also Mawile has instant Intimidate utility, which is more than most of bottom contribute.

You know.

Norman exists.

Skarmory tanks and fights well

Wingull gets raped by rock

Wingull can't do well against brawly, due to frailness

Oh, and if we're using an intimidate bot, Mightyena's a better option.

You can use it for the ENTIRE game, unlike Mawhile

Wingull drops in usefulness fairly quickly (and still can't deal with Nosepass since Nosepass will kill it quicker, if not immediately), and is incredibly fragile. It epically fails aganst Wattson, and the game throughout has plenty of electrics which troll it. Even considering weakness, Skarmory is statistically bulky and has actual offensive stats. It's possibly one of the best answers to Tate and Liza. Thing about the twins, though I say this probably just because I play Emerald, is that Earthquake is a bigger deal than anything in that fight. Skarm ignores this AND hits back hard with Steel Wing. Worst it has to face is Flamethrower from the crappy Sp Atk of Solrock. Speed, by the way, is a stat Wingull loses once it evolves into it's incredibly crappy Pelliper form.Skarmory has a lot more steam and s a lot more useful in parts of the game that could actually be considered difficult.

Intimidate is hardly necessary in this game.

I'm thinking that Aron could drop to bottom.

Bad typing

Slow Exp gain

Relies on TMs lategame

also.

Spoink could rise, being a cross between Snorlax and Abra.

Psybeam as soon as it's caught

Sp Def tank

Shock Wave

Calm Mind

Magic Coat

Mirror Coat

Bounce?

Voltorb could go in Bottom of High.

WTF Speed

Good Special Attack

Self-Destruct/Explosion having WTF BP.

TBolt

TWave

Barrier/Mirror Coat.

As to that... Explosion isn't learned until level 54, and Mirror Coat is pretty much out of the qustion (level 59). Also, I'm not sure I'd be impressed by exploding off 50 base attack...

I'm just saying that Mawile it's more useful than a decent number of bottom. And it comes earlier in R/S.

Outside of Intimidate, whats it got?

Mightyena does the same, has mid-game use

Shadow Ball of alright attack

Intimidate Bot later on.

Explosion off 50 base Atk is not very strong. Have fun missing some OHKOs, particularly against the opponents that Electrode would most like to use Explosion. It still hurts, but it's noticeably weaker than like, Claydol Explosion, and Claydol Explosion is not overly strong either.

I'm thinking that Aron could drop to bottom.

what

Aron is not that good, but he has solid stats and deserves much better than bottom.

Edited by dondon151

Explosion Move tutor at pacifidlog.

Oh.

and BP is like 240, and halves defense while using Explosion/Self-D

Ergh... Why do I keep forgetting about those move tutors?