• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Renne Descartes said:

There was even a good chance of the south achieving independence as far as 1864. As the war dragged on, Lincoln faced massive unpopularity in the north. Sherman and Grant were unable to deal a decisive blow. Luckily for Sherman, the highly defensive general Johnson of the south was replaced with an aggressive general Hood, and Sherman was able to break through and seize Atlanta. So for the election of 1864, Lincoln was able to remain in office. If his opponent had won, a treaty was to be signed with the south.

Fascinating. I had known, uh..."Meticulous Case of the Slows" guy ran against Lincoln and promised to pull out of the war, but I figured that would count as something "outside" the country. Still, lovely read, thank you. Probably for the best they didn't quite make it, though.

10 hours ago, Edgelord said:

“Even now, the amount of people who play Skyrim seven years later; millions of people every month are playing that game,” Howard replied. “That’s why we keep releasing it. If you want us to stop releasing it, stop buying it.”

Todd Howard laying down the law

A man who understands the free market.

10 hours ago, Edgelord said:

It's Fallout 2.

Mainly referring to an ending where apparently muh genes are so important that it gets its own ending precedence over anything else for New Reno.

...how odd. Why are your genes important in this case?

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

My plans of staying away from the internet were broken by the Brazilian Justice system. I had to follow the news =(

Welcome back to your prison.

14 minutes ago, Renne Descartes said:

The confederacy in general is quite intriguing for me since they had by far the most capable generals in the conflict, but compared to the strategic planning of the war cabinets and executive offices, the Union was far superior.

What about the superior industrial capacity and more developed infrastructure of the North?

The confederate government was hilariously incompetent, there was only one cabinet member who kept his position the entire war without being fired, and that was the navy guy. Jefferson Davis just could not get along with anyone.

This I'm aware of. Jefferson Davis was pretty awful at his job, and I'm under the impression that's more his fault than the decentralized nature of his nation's fault. Also, the United States used to have a Camel Corps, which was very successful but we got rid of it because Jefferson Davis really liked that idea.

Seriously though, the confederate generals were fucking demons. Thomas Jackson and AP Hill were freakishly talented considering the limited amount of resources they had to work with, but they loved battle so much that they fought with their men on the front lines, something Union generals rarely ever did. Dying early in combat and being replaced with far inferior generals is another point on which AH guys start a “south winning” timeline.

A good counterargument to people who criticize tacticians for directing fighting without fighting.

Then you had Nathan Bedford Forrest...What a legend.

Not exactly for that reason, but it's a very impressive feat.

1 minute ago, Renne Descartes said:

It's vastly overstated. In a war of attrition, the defending team gains a massive advantage. The North had to break through the offensive, which means far more risks, resources, soldiers to be drained. In essence, the North's massive industrial and infrastructure advantage was what evened the odds. The South needed only to defend. Which it was fine enough doing, however it took two massive gambles in the invasions of 1862 (Battle of Antietam) and 1863 (Battle of Gettysburg), both of which could've ended the conflict with a southern victory. Both of which were failures.

It's not exactly a bad thing, it's very good for raising morale - confederate troops showed amazing feats of loyalty to their generals. I forgot to mention an important detail too - both of this deaths were by friendly fire. Yet another sort of "dumb luck" thing which makes AH so addicting.

True. Vietnam is often used as a comparison to the American Revolution, but would it be fair to say similar principles applied here?

Fascinating indeed. Are you aware of any Alternate History works in which the Confederacy degenerates into this mass of squabbling generals in a manner similar to Classical Rome?

6 minutes ago, Renne Descartes said:

It seems unlikely; the squabbling between generals was mostly a thing the north suffered, (and the south mocked them for). Military officers spread rumors about one another in order to gain higher positions, and many of them were put there not on military genius but because of political prestige. Clear example of this is General Halleck spreading rumors which (still existing today) marked Ulysses S Grant as a drunkard, sending all sorts of gossipy telegrams back to Washington with the hope of Grant being kicked out during a time when Grant was not achieving good results in the West.

I see. Perhaps a better way to word that would be to say "armies being more loyal to their generals than to their nations, to the point of attempting to break off into new nations," but I'm assuming the answer would be no either way? The Confederacy seems to have been more culturally united than Classical Rome was.

5 minutes ago, Renne Descartes said:

But the general worship was taken quite far, to the point that Robert E Lee himself ended up having more authority than the voice of the confederate president, to the common citizens.

I think the final surrender was actually made against Jefferson's orders by some moderately popular general, wasn't it?

5 minutes ago, Renne Descartes said:

more like you cucks couldn't even pick a side in the conflict so you ended up half heartedly making a few boats for the South for which the Union charged you millions of shekels in war crimes following the end of the conflict.

hahah yeah good joke by the way you're not racist right?

and now you don't have an empire left cuz the US stayed unified and by WW2's end we were the last country  left that wasn't blown to smithereens and so began the era of burger domination and britbong subjugation

How dare those European nations rebuild their economic and industrial infrastructure. The world was nearly ours.

3 minutes ago, Edgelord said:

just remember we colonised your cheeseburgers in the first place mate

Did you guys know that battered and deep fried chicken is theorized to originate from Scotland?

H-haha of course not.

H-heh, that's sure good to hear!

On 7/7/2018 at 8:18 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

I see. I asked because, as far as I'm aware, the Confederacy was doomed to failure no matter what anyone in the country did. Any particular random events you'd like to share?

Ah yes, the ACW, many debates on the matter; and that's just taking into account the war that happened in real life. If people want to get creative, they have the ACW triggering in another year, through another way (like the Nullification Crisis), and a bunch of other variables. Get more wild about it, and you have a Civil War where it's the North the one that is secceding.

Random events? Hmm, not sure... at least, that qualify as "random". You don't always need something decided on the roll of a die to decide it's inflexible or not.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Random events? Hmm, not sure... at least, that qualify as "random". You don't always need something decided on the roll of a die to decide it's inflexible or not.

Well, what are some of those events that should not be taken for granted, at least?

3 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Well, what are some of those events that should not be taken for granted, at least?

Some of the ones that come to mind are precisely the ones I don't feel like talking about it; but if you want an example I would gues... the ACW itself.

At least, many consider that the North and South coming to blows was an innevitabiliy. Personally, I'm not fully if that's the case, but I also haven't really searched up if the ACW could've not happened.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Some of the ones that come to mind are precisely the ones I don't feel like talking about it; but if you want an example I would gues... the ACW itself.

I see. I won't pry too much, then.

4 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

...how odd. Why are your genes important in this case?

Protagonist genes? It's the main character, after all, who is the grandkid of the first game's protagonist, in turn.

Amusingly enough, it's quite implied to be one of New Reno's canon endings.

On 06/07/2018 at 11:37 PM, Renne Descartes said:

Well a translation that wasn't poverty tier finally came out for it.

But knowing tonton's standards I can see how he wouldn't even wait.

Your mistake was thinking this isn't a poverty tier translation