Rate the Unit, Day 14: Lyn

Kngt_Of_Titania

Lyn's pretty decent, if only because Mani Katti is such a good weapon, considering it's slayer properties, nice might to go with light weight, plentiful amount of uses, and crit. She rarely ever needs any other weapon. It's the fact she takes so little from the group to be effective that makes her charming.

That being said, due to her durability, it's a hard debate on choosing her over others to transport up to the frontlines. Due to this, her ability to see combat is somewhat compromised. She can come out from the back line to kill something off, or hold back to deal with local troubles around the base, but her actually having an effect on you moving forward is not quite reasonable. Least FE7 keeps you busy in that sense.

6.5/10

Ah, Lyn. Well, to start off with, there's her AMAZING durability. What makes it so amazing? Well, she's got the second worst HP and DEF bases in the entire game! Nils has 2 less HP than her at base and Lucius has 1 less DEF. Mind you, Nils also has 3 more DEF and Lucius has 2 more HP. So, yeah. Good start, right? Her subpar growths in those areas don't help. Also, unlike the other units with such poor durability, she's swordlocked, so no ranged attacks (until promotion) and she also WTD against a huge number of enemies. These others are either mages or utility units. Her offense really isn't too great either. She has the lowest base STR in the game, bar Serra/Nils/Ninian, on top of using the weakest weapon type that is made weaker by constant WTD. Her STR growth isn't especially good, either. She DOES have Lyn Mode to get stuff, but I would argue Kent, Sain, and Florina are better with a lot of the resources, including EXP. That's not to say she doesn't get anything out of it, it's just that she's overshadowed really from the beginning. Luckily for her, she's got the Mani Katti. That's 45 chances for her to hit armors and cavs for a ton of damage, and on each one she has a pretty good shot at OHKOing them thanks to its crit. The problem is... 45 attacks isn't a whole lot, although I guess there is Hammerne. When does hammerne show up? Anyways, that's especially true when we've got Marcus and potentially pally Kent/Sain running around with offense that's just as good against those enemies as well as +3 MOV and hugely better durability and 1-2 range and better offense against... all of the other enemies. Then you've got plenty of units doing at least as well as she is in every area except cav/knight offense.

All in all, I give the Mani Katti a 6/10.

Edited by Rewjeo

Mani Katti is OP. Sorta.

She can actually crit stuff, her supports aren't that terrible, and she can easily nab the Robe (is it Seraph or Angelic? Don't remember.) in Lyn Mode. But her defense is just so augh.

7/10

Lyn's durability will never allow her to be sent in to survive an enemy phase unless you put her on a mountain or woods or against axes to abuse evasion. Instead, she'll be getting feed kills on player phase to avoid counter attack or to ORKO a cavalier or knight (and still lose a chuck of damage in the counter attack). And few units early on can do that. Even after promotion, low strength kills her from killing many things. She can due some mage slaying duties. 10 resistance 20/1 is pretty good. And given a pure water she is not taking much damage. But the lack of 1-2 weapon will restrict her to only killing one enemy for a turn (unless you line-up the enemy phase well).

She contributes little and has to be babied most of the time. I'd give her a 4/10.

The most available unit in the game, Lyn hits like guy+ but takes his like guy-. Exclusive mani katti is very useful, unlike the rapier which is kinda useful.

Doesn't compete for the hero crest if you consider her a myrm lord, but gets bows, which make you wonder why lock her to 1 or 2 range.

In lyn mode, she really is a staple performer (then again, most are), but I'm HHM, not as necessary.

She does dodge like a champ though. Angelic robe seriously helps her cause, as she can deal good damage back to just about anything on EP, barring ranged foes.

7/10 for me. She isn't useless as far as lords go, but isn't necessarily a staple performer. Also, she is useful for the first 1/3 of the game where she is forced (or replacing turds like Dorcas in hhm)

6.5/10

Lyn is pretty cool. Great speed and great Prf weapon. Her cons are bad durability and constant WTD.

If anything she can be a handy bosskiller

Edited by Mage Lord

I sort of see Lyn as the FE7 version of Edward. Their first chapter features them kicking ass, and they're fine in the easier modes, but once you get into the tougher content they just fall apart. Lyn isn't so bad that she blocks axes with her face, but she has all sorts of problems in HHM. Bad durability, sword-locked, late promotion, and poor con are all major weaknesses. The plus side is her prf weapon, which when combined with her average strength and high speed allows her to tear up stuff. Ironically though, you'll have trouble using the Mani Katti against the enemies its super effective against since most of them are lance users that will counter her for a crap load of damage.

5/10

Okay-ish strength, tendency to crit enemies and high speed paired with that Mani Katti is nice. She also has a nifty support pool which helps her. Her downside? Err... Her durability is like paper; hence she's a glass cannon and that her PRF weapon tends to target mainly Lance users which is OH NOES for her!

Now, after promoting, she gets Bows which is a mixed bag, a curse since it makes her have no enemy phase; and a blessing since it kills the crap out of either Wyverns (Cog of Destiny comes to mind) or Pegasi (Limstella's Chapter), and can double the weighed down ones!

In my eyes, she's a double-edged sword and hence I shall give her

6.5/10

@Darros

It's Angelic Robe

8/10.

Sure, her durability is on the somewhat crappy side, but she usually dodges well enough to make up for it.

Unless she's STR-screwed, she got what is probably the best Mrym-style offense in the game, and getting bows is kinda icing on the cake.

Mani Katti is also pwnsome. Getting a free second one even if you break the first one in her mode is even better.

Everything I said about Guy, except the obvious stuff about availability and the pwnsomeness of Mani Katti (really really nice for a few bosskills). She honestly isn't horrible lategame with normal weapons if you have better things to Hammerne than the Mani Katti (which you almost certainly will), and she can play around a bit with an Iron Bow on VoD on the north path post-promotion so that isn't horrible compared to the crit bonus although I'd rather have that. Also it's not like the Killing Edge is locked to Guy.

I gave 6 to Guy so I give 7 to Lyn.

Also personal bias rating = 11/10 :wub:, which is also my trolling-Hex rating.

6.5/10. The Mani Katti is pretty amazing, with its crit bonus. However, Lyn's defenses are pretty bad. At least she's a feasible candidate for the Angelic Robe in Lyn Mode.

6.5/10. I rated Erk that high and I will rate Lyn the same. She's guy but traded defence for offense. Useless to mention this but she's trash if you don't play Lyn Mode. Srsly.( biased against her, personal scoer- 4/10)

Edited by Marth

She gets a few levels from LHM which can be useful. However, like Priscilla before, her durability is weak, and can die easy if the RNG decides to go against her. The only good thing I can say about her is her Mani Kati, which kills armours and horsies, who are more often than not carrying lances and can retaliate, dealing damage before they are killed.

She promotes quite late, but the bows are a nice touch I guess. But she relies on her Mani Kati so much that it's not really worth using her if it breaks. Her durability issues also weigh her score down.

Raven's rating: 58%.

7.5/10

All of LHM to level up past lvl 5-6.

Mani Katti.

Doesn't need hero crest.

Mani Katti

Doubles everything once promoted.

Cons

Shit for durability.

Sword lock+bows :facepalm: on promotion.

Mani katti runs out. Eventually..

Low con.

So

And 9/10 for the MK.

5/10, and I think I'm being generous as with Eliwood's rating. Much of what I have to say about Lyn has already been said, so I will not reiterate. One thing I will bring up is the Mani Katti. It's a great weapon and all, but I don't quite understand where all the hype is coming from. The Mani Katti is only marginally better than Eliwood's Rapier when it comes down to it, and I haven't seen nearly as much hype for the latter.

I think all the hype comes from Lyn doubling more and therefore 1RKOing shit (even if she takes a horrid, horrid counter) while Eliwood doesn't double and whiffs the 1HKO?

That's my best guess/

Probably since Lyn can actually double horses while Eliwood will occasionally be able to.

I'm getting ninja'd in places I shouldn't be.

Edited by -Valkyrie-

• 4 years later...