[PHOTOS] 20th Anniversary Fire Emblem Artbook

Popo

You wouldn't by any chance be able to provide high quality versions of the FE7 CGs would you? The ones in the games are very low resolution.

The ones in the artbook are no better... well except for the lack of a sephia filter.

It's pretty much low resolution as well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ones in the artbook are no better... well except for the lack of a sephia filter.

It's pretty much low resolution as well.

I agree. The images in the book are also quite small, although the photos I posted were from my camera and not my scanner, so the later might produce better results. Now, I certainly wouldn't mind doing it if the versions in the artbook would be an improvement over what we have on the main site (and at that point, I would just donate them to SF), but if that isn't the case, I would only be okay with scanning a few that you're interested in in particular. :3

I think Vincent said the FE Museum had the artwork used around the site. It might be a cropped-down version, but it should be easy to get a hold of.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/fe_museum/rekka/gallery/index.html

jawdrop.gif

何でそれは聞いたことない!?

They colored the ones the Beta CGs didn't have fully colored.

For example.

NinianandEliwoodBetaCGcolored.png44.png

FE7 Beta CG style coloring.

CompareCG14.png

Edited by shadowofchaos

It's really annoying because the CGs are higher resolution in the book, but the book itself is low resolution, so it's physically impossible to get a better image. You can tell this is the case from the PDFs of the sample pages that feature images like this or, better, this. Also, if you look carefully at the CGs in book, you can tell that they should be high resolution because of the edges and detail.

I really wish Nintendo would release a proper FE artbook one day, the only thing that comes close is the Illustrated Works for FE5 or the Characters book for FE6 and FE7, but I'm still hesitant to call those artbooks.

Anyway, here's a little bonus, if you haven't seen it before. I should mention that it's a cropped image as well...

Edited by VincentASM

In case anyone's curious, we already tried scanning that CG for him.

You know, I once came across a "CG collection" for FE7 on an auction site, but I can't find a trace of it online. I'm assuming it was a bonus booklet that came with a magazine or something, so it's probably nothing special. I have an image of the cover backed up somewhere just don't ask where.

In case anyone's curious, we already tried scanning that CG for him.

You know, I once came across a "CG collection" for FE7 on an auction site, but I can't find a trace of it online. I'm assuming it was a bonus booklet that came with a magazine or something, so it's probably nothing special. I have an image of the cover backed up somewhere just don't ask where.

You DO know I'm willing to pay top dollar for it if you ever find something like it. I wouldn't even hesitate even if it was past the 300 dollar mark.

That much is true, however, Florina and Ninian are put first in Hector and Eliwood's trees, despite not being first alphabetically. Same with Lilina and Roy.

Right, because those pairings are the most heavily implied. But that's nothing new, and as I said, it doesn't mean that other pairings, like Hector/Farina or Eliwood/Fiora, are wrong.

Even so, what part of Hector X Florina is the most heavily implied? There's basically nothing in the game hinting at it aside from the paired ending. A lot of the scenes in FE7 (Including the "Respite in Battle " scene, as well as the Hector's story exclusive scenes such as Lyn's endgame conversation with Eliwood and the "Don't die" scene.) for instance, hint at the possibility at a relationship between Hector and Lyn, not Hector and Florina. If they really were arranging the pairs from most likely to least likely, they'd put Lyn's picture first, not Florina's picture. (Which would be placed last.) If anything, they likely arranged the pictures in the order that reflects "which pair appeals to the fandom the most" (Like for instance there's the fact that the the amount of people that support Hector X Florina is an unhealthy amount.) instead of actually listing the pairs by what's the likeliest to happen.

I think you're reading into it a bit too much. ^^; Eliwood/Ninian is heavily implied in the plot, so it should rightly appear next to Eliwood's pertinent character information. The only reason why I don't believe it's the "true" ending is because you still have to go through the support conversations to pair him with Ninian. If it were the "most right" of all the pairings, I think she would also end up marrying him if you decided not to engage any ending supports at all. (As in, if you don't get an A-level with either Lyn or Fiora, you automatically end up with Ninian regardless of whether you supported with her.)

FE4 did the same thing with most of their pairs. Levin X Fury, Beowulf X Lachesis, Finn X Lachesis, and arguably Celice X Lana and Leif X Nanna. Having to pair certain characters up regardless of whether it's the "right one" or not can be argued to be a tradition that started in FE4 and was expanded upon in FE6 and beyond. Edited by Little Al

Even so, what part of Hector X Florina is the most heavily implied? There's basically nothing in the game hinting at it aside from the paired ending. A lot of the scenes in FE7 (Including the "Respite in Battle " scene, as well as the Hector's story exclusive scenes such as Lyn's endgame conversation with Eliwood and the "Don't die" scene.) for instance, hint at the possibility at a relationship between Hector and Lyn, not Hector and Florina. If they really were arranging the pairs from most likely to least likely, they'd put Lyn's picture first, not Florina's (Which would be placed last.). If anything, it's likely to appeal to the unhealthily large portion of the fanbase that supports the pairs instead of actually listing the pairs by what's the likeliest to happen.

I generally think of the reunion in Caelin when I think of Hector and Florina, so there's an instance between them in the main story that you may have forgotten, although it's certainly not all that important in the long run. I don't really ship Hector/Florina myself, so I'm going off of information for the disproportionately large fanbase you spoke of. You're definitely right about Lyn and Hector having plenty of on-screen interaction and I'm not trying to argue against that. Perhaps they decided that yes, Lyn is the "most canon" but decided to put Florina first so that Hector's love chart wouldn't conflict with Rath's. It might have been worrisome to Nintendo to have Lyn paired primarily with both Hector and Rath at the same time.

FE4 did the same thing with most of their pairs. Levin X Fury, Beowulf X Lachesis, Finn X Lachesis, and arguably Celice X Lana and Leif X Nanna. Having to pair certain characters up regardless of whether it's the "right one" or not can be argued to be a tradition that started in FE4 and was expanded upon in FE6 and beyond.

I haven't played FE4/FE5, so I really can't rely on previous titles to make my case. Obviously at heart I'm trying to validate my dislike for Eliwood/Ninian, but I still think that if other options are available, all options have equal clout when a paired ending isn't a given.

Edited by Popo

"Disproportionately large fanbase"? You know, I'd really love to know what or where you guys are talking about. I've been around on a couple of sites on FE, and Hector doesn't really seem to have a "most popular pairing". It's pretty much a three-way split between Florina, Lyn, and Farina. Lyn, on the other hand, seems to have her most popular pairing as either Kent/Lyn or Hector/Lyn. I don't know where all the Lyn/Rath shippers are concentrated, but I'd love to join them.

Also, the only pairing that I think is "heavily implied" in FE7 is Eliwood/Ninian. Considering that the ending changes slightly if they're in love. I think Hector and Lyn just get a lot of interactions with each other, since Florina, Kent, Rath, and Farina can all die or (in the case of the latter two) not even be recruited. While IS does put a lot of effort into FE, I don't think they put nearly as much effort in FE7 as to make specific conversations for the lords with characters who could die or not be recruited. It wasn't until FE9 that they did that. This is probably my bias speaking, though. I'm not a fan of Hector/Lyn. Even if Lyn's other two likely husbands (Rath and Kent, I don't consider Eliwood an option) didn't exist, I still wouldn't ship it. Not a big fan of slap-slap-kiss. My point, however, is that aside from Eliwood/Ninian, none of the other pairings are that much more hinted at. Sure, some make more sense than others (like Jaffar and Nino having prior interactions and Erk and Nino being strangers), but until IS actually comes out and says, "Yes, __ and __ is canon and that is how we imagine it to be," there is no canon pairing.

"Disproportionately large fanbase"? You know, I'd really love to know what or where you guys are talking about. I've been around on a couple of sites on FE, and Hector doesn't really seem to have a "most popular pairing". It's pretty much a three-way split between Florina, Lyn, and Farina. Lyn, on the other hand, seems to have her most popular pairing as either Kent/Lyn or Hector/Lyn. I don't know where all the Lyn/Rath shippers are concentrated, but I'd love to join them.

I never see anything for Hector/Farina. XP When you say FE sites, do you mean other message boards? Tumblr, Pixiv, deviantART, FanFiction.Net, etc. all have fairly strong Hector/Florina and Hector/Lyn fanbases. I'm not sure where Little Al was sourcing his opinion from, but that's where I tend to experience FE shipping. (You can also go there for Lyn/Rath.)

Popo, I came from fanfiction.net. I can barely find any Lyn pairings that aren't Kent/Lyn or Hector/Lyn there. And in FF.net, Farina is just as popular of an option for Hector as Florina.

I generally think of the reunion in Caelin when I think of Hector and Florina, so there's an instance between them in the main story that you may have forgotten, although it's certainly not all that important in the long run. I don't really ship Hector/Florina myself, so I'm going off of information for the disproportionately large fanbase you spoke of. You're definitely right about Lyn and Hector having plenty of on-screen interaction and I'm not trying to argue against that. Perhaps they decided that yes, Lyn is the "most canon" but decided to put Florina first so that Hector's love chart wouldn't conflict with Rath's.

As far as I know. The instance in Caelin that you speak of is a comic and doesn't really impact on anything relationship-wise. So that's a good point. There was another conversation they had during the same chapter, but it was more or less in the same boat minus the comic, since it didn't impact on anything relationship-wise either.

It might have been worrisome to Nintendo to have Lyn paired primarily with both Hector and Rath at the same time.

And yet Lachesis is paired primarily with both Beowulf and Finn, and Nintendo themselves had no objections when that decision was made. (On a more serious note, what was stopping them from pulling the "unknown character" card anyways?)

As far as DeviantArt search numbers go, don't let them deceive you. The fans are quite vocal as far as their pairing preferences go. Although I will note that the amount of Rath X Lyn pictures on Pixiv far outnumbers the amount of Hector X Lyn pictures on the same site. And not to mention, you see more people arguing in favor of Hector X Florina and Lyn X Rath than their other pairs whenever anyone posts a topic that asks "Which FE lord pairing is more likely?" or states an opinion the the topic creator have about a certain pair. It's a very frequent behavior on most FE fansites and GameFAQs. You can even see some of this same behavior on YouTube.
Also, the only pairing that I think is "heavily implied" in FE7 is Eliwood/Ninian. Considering that the ending changes slightly if they're in love. I think Hector and Lyn just get a lot of interactions with each other, since Florina, Kent, Rath, and Farina can all die or (in the case of the latter two) not even be recruited. While IS does put a lot of effort into FE, I don't think they put nearly as much effort in FE7 as to make specific conversations for the lords with characters who could die or not be recruited. It wasn't until FE9 that they did that. This is probably my bias speaking, though. I'm not a fan of Hector/Lyn. Even if Lyn's other two likely husbands (Rath and Kent, I don't consider Eliwood an option) didn't exist, I still wouldn't ship it. Not a big fan of slap-slap-kiss. My point, however, is that aside from Eliwood/Ninian, none of the other pairings are that much more hinted at. Sure, some make more sense than others (like Jaffar and Nino having prior interactions and Erk and Nino being strangers), but until IS actually comes out and says, "Yes, __ and __ is canon and that is how we imagine it to be," there is no canon pairing.

Neither Lyn or Hector have any scenes that are equivalent to the "Respite in Battle" conversation or several Hector's story exclusive cutscenes such as the boat scene, Lyn's endgame conversation with Eliwood, or the "Don't die" conversation with their other pairs. Adding to that, it's not all slap-slap-kiss. It starts to grow out of that after the Search for Elbert arc when considering interactions outside of supports, especially since they can easily be seen flirting when they first step foot inside of Bern. Their A support does pretty much hint at the detail about Hector having feelings for Lyn. That very same detail is confirmed during the "Respite in Battle" conversation, where he outright tells Lyn that he loves her. And even further later, the conversation Lyn has with Eliwood does show at the most that Hector's feelings are mutual, and is taken a step further during the "Don't die" conversation, which Lyn has with Hector. If those aren't clear hints, I don't know what is. Edited by Little Al

I never see anything for Hector/Farina. XP When you say FE sites, do you mean other message boards? Tumblr, Pixiv, deviantART, FanFiction.Net, etc. all have fairly strong Hector/Florina and Hector/Lyn fanbases. I'm not sure where Little Al was sourcing his opinion from, but that's where I tend to experience FE shipping. (You can also go there for Lyn/Rath.)

Popo, I came from fanfiction.net. I can barely find any Lyn pairings that aren't Kent/Lyn or Hector/Lyn there. And in FF.net, Farina is just as popular of an option for Hector as Florina.

Yikes! I don't want this thread to turn into some sort of shipping war. >o< I think most of us are in agreement over the canon/not-canon issue anyways. :3

Regarding my findings at FF.Net, I don't just mean the tagged entries, in which Lyn/Hector has 20+ stories and the pegasus sisters have between 10-15 a piece. I often see Hector/Florina in obscure places, such as passing mentions, or pieces about Lilina, or FE6, etc. That's mostly what I'm referring to, as I honestly don't seek out too much material centered around Hector to begin with. You could very well be right if you spend a lot of time in the Fire Emblem section and are actively looking for these pairings, but again, I'm operating based on my own experience, which is the best I can do. :3

And yet Lachesis is paired primarily with both Beowulf and Finn, and Nintendo themselves had no objections when that decision was made. (On a more serious note, what was stopping them from pulling the "unknown character" card anyways?)

...And again, I haven't played FE4/FE5, so I really can't help you on this one. >:

Edited by Popo

As far as DeviantArt search numbers go, don't let them deceive you. The fans are quite vocal as far as their pairing preferences go. Although I will note that the amount of Rath X Lyn pictures on Pixiv far outnumbers the amount of Hector X Lyn pictures. And not to mention, you see more people arguing in favor of Hector X Florina and Lyn X Rath whenever anyone posts a topic that asks "Which FE lord pairing is more likely?" or states an opinion the the topic creator have about a certain pair. It's a very frequent behavior on most FE fansites and GameFAQs.

Neither Lyn or Hector have any scenes that are equivalent to the "Respite in Battle" conversation or several Hector's story exclusive cutscenes such as the boat scene, Lyn's endgame conversation with Eliwood, or the "Don't die" conversation with their other pairs. Adding to that, it's not all slap-slap-kiss. It starts to grow out of that after the Search for Elbert arc when considering interactions outside of supports, especially since they can easily be seen flirting when they first step foot inside of Bern. Their A support does pretty much hint at the detail about Hector having feelings for Lyn. That very same detail is confirmed during the "Respite in Battle" conversation, where he outright tells Lyn that he loves her. And even further later, the conversation Lyn has with Eliwood does show at the most that Hector's feelings are mutual, and is taken a step further during the "Don't die" conversation, which Lyn has with Hector. If those aren't clear hints, I don't know what is.

Well, isn't that the case for everyone, then? Hector/Lyn supporters are vocal, just as Kent/Lyn, Lyn/Rath, and Hector/Florina supporters are vocal. On fanfiction.net at least, the Kent/Lyn shippers are the most vocal. Also, I don't think that more people arguing in favor of a certain pairing necessarily means that it is "the most popular". It could just mean that on that specific site, the people who ship that pairing are the most popular. I don't mean to pick on Kent/Lyn shippers on FF.net, but if you simply looked at the number of stories on that site, you'd think that almost all people liked Kent/Lyn, when in reality it's only a small group of people who put out a lot of one-shots and are vocal about their support preferences. Arguing about pairings is a frequent behavior in all sites. It's not like people arguing over just Hector/Florina and Lyn/Rath specifically are out of the norm.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that Lyn and Hector have no special scenes with their other pairs. After all ... Florina, Farina, Kent, and Rath can all die. And in the case of Farina and Rath, the player has the option of not recruiting them. FE7 was a good game with good character development. But at that point, I don't think IS thought so far ahead as to put in too much effort into making special scenes for lords and characters who can die. Also, it wouldn't make sense for Hector and Lyn's boat scene to crop up in Eliwood's story. After all ... Eliwood is talking to Fargus on the other side of the boat. I'll agree, the endgame quotes are quite specific. But remember ... we don't ever find out that Uther died in Eliwood's story. Nergal doesn't gloat to Hector about Uther's death. Therefore, Lyn doesn't know. Lyn is still a kindhearted girl who can understand the pain of losing one's family, so of course she'd sympathize. She can only sympathize in Hector's story because, otherwise, she doesn't know.

I'm not denying that Hector and Lyn could get together. I'm just saying that I still think both Kent and Rath are more likely. Plus, while Hector's actions in their A-support suggests that he may have feelings for Lyn, I can't say the same about Lyn. She doesn't even realize that he cares for her until he spits it out in 31x. That, to me, kind of ... doesn't do it. I am convinced that Lyn loves Kent and Rath at the end of their A-supports. I am convinced that Florina and Farina both have a feeling that Hector cares for them in their A-supports. I am not convinced that Lyn is in love with Hector at their A-support. And that kills it for me. The fact that they had to have an additional "special conversation" where Lyn realizes that Hector is in love with her kind of makes me doubtful on Lyn's end.

Also, I'm tempted to argue that the fact that we only ever find out on Hector's route that Florina landed her pegasus on him ... and that conversation they have only in Hector's mode, may mean something as well.

SHIPPING WARS! How I love thee~

I wouldn't fret about these things Al. If you like Hector sexing up Lyn that's your own thang. These pairings are only possibilities considering that Roy, Lilina, Sue, and so on come into existence even if their father isn't paired with their possible lover. There may be so called "evidence" implying that certain pairings are far more likely but it all comes down to what you prefer instead of questioning someone's sanity over something so trivial. >w>

Besides Lyn sucks and Florina with Hector is fucking adorable but then again FE is awful in general so yeah.

SHIPPING WARS! How I love thee~

May I humbly suggest that you guys take this to another thread?

This thread WAS generally made for showing scans/photos of the artbook and asking questions about it.

You know... just saying. SupportLevel.gif