• Announcements

• Tangerine

Serenes Forest Scribbles 2016 has begun, Raffle prizes have been updated!   12/03/16

Hey everyone! We've started up our Creative event once more, you can check out the thread here:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=67567

If you're new here, it's an event where people can submit something they've created for the chance to have some fun and win some prizes. If you've got a talent you'd like to share with the FE community, there's no harm in giving it a go!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aran613

Long-ranged Magic/Ballista

10 posts in this topic

Well if someone casts sleep on another unit who has sleep/berserk equiped, will they retaliate?

In that sense, will bolting/purge do the same?

If that, then will Ballista do the same?

Examples

Sleep is cast on someone equiped with sleep?

Bolting is cast on someone with sleep?

Ballista attacks someone with Bolting/Sleep/Berserk?

Bolting/Sleep/Berserk attacks someone with Ballista?

I'm almost 100% certain the answer is "no" to all. The ballista example is an interesting one, however.

you can't equip staves in GBA FEs

and furthermore, I'm pretty sure the answer on the others is no too.

[quote name='Luminescent Blade' date='21 January 2012 - 07:58 PM' timestamp='1327204736' post='1829807']
You cannot retaliate period.

It's in the codes.
[/quote]
I.e. A ballista at a Longbow at 3 range will not be countered
and a longbow at a ballista at 3 range will not be countered, etc.
I believe.

Ballistae and Siege tomes are coded as uncounterable. But they can't counter other stuff either. So yes.

[quote name='whase' date='21 January 2012 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1327195773' post='1829631']
you can't equip staves in GBA FEs

and furthermore, I'm pretty sure the answer on the others is no too.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure when you have no other tomes, your person "equips it."

As shown when you have a bishop in FE8, and he has no light tomes, yet has a staff like heal out and it still has the flashing-ness or triple effect on monsters anyways.

[quote name='Aran613' date='23 January 2012 - 12:42 PM' timestamp='1327347774' post='1831649']
I'm pretty sure when you have no other tomes, your person "equips it."

As shown when you have a bishop in FE8, and he has no light tomes, yet has a staff like heal out and it still has the flashing-ness or triple effect on monsters anyways.
[/quote]
Wrong, staves are unequippable according to the way battles are programmed.

That's actually because the game loads the animation based on what's in the first slot. Or, to be more explicit - The game checks the items in that unit's inventory in the order that they're stored in memory and stops once it finds a non-item. This works because an equipped weapon is always stored first; if there's no equipped weapon then you get things like staves and then nothing. You can never actually equip a staff (the game code says so) and the only reason that it flashes is because slayer is programmed super-lazily - if there's any kind of item shown it starts flashing.

you can prove this by attaching a stat bonus to the staff (AFAIK bonuses only work for equipped items) and then leaving it in inventory. i'd bet you that you would never see those bonuses in action

I wish I could have Athos equip a bolting, Serra equip a psychic, and then have Athos counter and kill Serra when she heals him :wub: