Franz, Forde and Kyle : which promotion should I choose?

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which promotion should be chosen for Franz, Forde and Kyle?

• For Franz, Paladin.
    • For Franz, Great Knight
    • For Forde, Paladin
    • For Forde, Great Knight
    • For Kyle, Paladin
    • For Kyle, Great Knight

Hello!

Franz and Amelia should be a duo in my opinion (both young, same hair color, I don't know, they fit together, not to mention Franz can recruit Amelia), so they should be identical as Paladins.

Amelia will be a Paladin, this is a permanent choice, so focus on the three other Knights!

Forde and Kyle are the typical Green and Red knight duo (two badasses who kick ass together for their Lord and Kingdom), so they should be identical as Great Knights.

But this is my own perception of what they should be. I might be wrong about the optimal aspect of such choices!

That's why im asking you to tell me your opinion on the matter!

Thank you!

(Multiple choices are authorized in the poll!)

Edited by sumerian99

Franz:His high speed growth would be hampered by the Great Knight's caps along with the fact that his most likely support (Seth) would then have a different move type. This was a simple one.

Forde: This is a bit harder. On one hand, the Great Knight promotion gains (and axes) would help make him offensively stronger and better in the short term which might help. Alternatively if his speed/skill is higher then Paladin would fit well. Really it all matters on how he is looking stat wise.

Kyle: Due to his more... hardy nature and better strength, Kyle makes an ideal Great Knight since it fits his growths so well along with having access to the always amazing axes.

I hope this helps a bit.

Franz:His high speed growth would be hampered by the Great Knight's caps along with the fact that his most likely support (Seth) would then have a different move type. This was a simple one.

Forde: This is a bit harder. On one hand, the Great Knight promotion gains (and axes) would help make him offensively stronger and better in the short term which might help. Alternatively if his speed/skill is higher then Paladin would fit well. Really it all matters on how he is looking stat wise.

Kyle: Due to his more... hardy nature and better strength, Kyle makes an ideal Great Knight since it fits his growths so well along with having access to the always amazing axes.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thank you for your insight!

Forde currently has 14 strength, 12 skill, 14 speed, 12 luck, 11def and 4 res. So he is pretty balanced and could effectively exploit his decent strength and defense to be a GK, don't you think?

Kyle is, as expected, more tank oriented : 15 strength, 10 skill, 11 speed, 8 luck and 12 def, 5 res.

Both are level 20 cavaliers.

By the way, Great Knights have the same speed cap as Paladins, just to nitpick, NTNP.

Anyway, a lot of the hardcore players here are gonna tell you to make them all paladins for the 8 move to the GK's 6.

But I'm not that simple minded, so I'll give my own thoughts on the matter:

Franz: This is pretty simple. He doesn't excatly hit the GK caps or come anywhere near close to them, except for speed.(for starters, he's 4 away from capping str as a GK at 20/20, compared to 2 as a paladin.) Also, his best supports(Seth and the aformentioned Amelia)have 8 move, so it would make perfect sense to make him a paladin.

Ford: Again, this is dependant on a few factors. Like Franz, Ford doesn't cap anything or come close as a GK except skill and speed(Ford has 22str as a GK, and he caps both skl/spd as a paladin anyway), though axes would improve Ford's offensive game.

Kyle: This is one of the few cases where GK sounds like a decent option, as unlike the other two, Kyle can actually reasonably reach the GK's high 28 str cap. Also, while all three GK's can use axes effectively, Kyle loses VERY slightly less AS from heavier axes(and doesn't lose any from Brave Lance or Tomahawk FWIW, but the +1 con is generally superfluous.)

Voted Paladin for all of them, because of a bias against Great Knights (defeats the purpose of a mount IMO, and GKs are essentially foot units that take worse movement penalties. Having weaknesses to both anti-horse weapons and anti-armor weapons, minor a detail as it may be, does not help Great Knights' case).

Edited by Metal King Slime

You don't go GK for the stat caps, you go GK because of the axes + better promotion bonuses (sans move of course). IIRC it's like +1 str/spd/def and +2 con if you go GK instead of pally.

I used to promote GK over pally, but then I realized that actually I was just getting RNG screwed everytime and that enemies actually suck really hard, and so the +2 move is better than the other stat bonuses.

• 5 years later...

Seems that all over the internet everyone agrees; paladins > great knights with the odd person voting great knight.

Well I'm here to bring y'all into the light that is a Great Knight.  

Disclamer: On my playthrough currently, I am going for an all mounted knight army.  Gilliam Kyle and Forde are my GKs, whith the bonus inclusion of all three colors, and Amelia Ford and Seth are my paladin trio, also with all three colors included.  Backing them up are Tana and Cormag the wyvern knights, and lute and l'arachel the mage knights.  I understand the GK is superior to the paladin, but the paladin looks cool, and having a symetrical spearhead formation of paladins and great knights with wyvern and make knights on the flanks really satisfies me.

But as for why the GK is superior lets take a look.

First up; stat caps for G.K. vs Pal:  

GK                PAL

str-      28                  25             = GK +3
skl-      24                  26            = Pal +2
spd-     24                  24                = 
Luck-     30                   30               =
Def-     29                   25             =GK +4
Res-    25                   25                =
Move-   6                     8                 Pal +2
Wpn-    A,L,S              L, S              =GK +A

So for the price of two movement and two skill, you gain three strength, four defense, and axes.  What does this mean?  It means the paladin wont do as much damage as the GK,  it wont be able to take as many damaging melee attacks, and it will never have a weapon advantage over lance users.  However, it also means the paladin has a better chance of hitting and doing critials. and of being in the right place at the right time.  If beating Lag'du Ruins or Arena battles are what you want, GK is your best choice.
In a 1 v 1 with maxed stats, the GK beats a paladin with 50hp remaining every single time, even when the paladin attacks first.  The paladin may hit more often with the higher skill, but he doesnt have enough strength to do any damage... The superior combat stats combined with the full weapon triangle are too in favour of the GK.  They obviously both lose to Generals but we want mounted units, amiright?  

There is a way to get unlimited swift soles, so if youre really dedicated to maxing out your units, a paladin's best arguement of +2 movement becomes moot.  Have you ever seen a general move 15 spaces?  Its great.  =]

Anyways, for ruins runs, youre sacrificing two movement for more str, def, and axes.  Why not use ross or garcia or gerick for axes?  While berzerkers and warriors both beat GK in str, skl, and spd, they are inferior in def and res.  Heros are worse than all three.  

So where does the paladin fit into your warband?  If theyre not better tanks or damage dealers than great knights, what does their 8 movement speed and skill make them?  It makes them the steady dps support role.  They can move far enough to get the killing blow on an important monster while being guaranteed to not be at a weapon triangle disadvantage.  They can also move far enough to rescue an ally and take them to safety.  

There is another class that is quite similar, and a good alternative to the paladin.  The wyvern knight.  Same movement, the only stats differing being four more speed for the wyvern knight with one more defence and three more resistance for the paladin.  The Wyvern Knight also gets the ability to move over all terrain, making it a much more versatile unit, and the ability to pierce, making it a much higher damaging dps.  These come at the loss of swords, for a weakness against axes, and a flying unit's weakness to arrows, which are alot more common than a horse slayer weapon.    

Perhaps stats and performance isnt what youre after, perhaps aesthetics are what you like.  In this category its truly more personal preference, but here are my reasons for favoring the Great Knight.  First off, they look imposing.  With a complete covering of armour from head to toe to horse, they look imposing.  Their horse even has horns on its head, which is lowered, like its ready to gore some enemies.  You can imagine with the GK's animations that the horse is one of those monstrous Clydesdales, slowly trotting up to the enemies while the rider delivers a simple yet very effective blow to the enemiy, utilizing the gravitational potential energy of having the weapon at an elevated height.  The crital strikes exacerbate this problem for the enemy even more, having the horde rear up on its hind legs, raising the weapon even higher, before mount and weapon come down as one.  These are why the Great Knight holding an axe is my favorite looking model in the game, it looks simple, effective, and most of all, believable.  Now I will admit, the sword of the GK looks dull compared to the elegant longsword of the paladin, which looks like a true knight's blade.  The way the paladin weilds its weapons gives the appearance it is truly a speedy knight, with the horse charging then leaping at the enemy before impact while the rider thrusts.  The horse even leaps back to the starting positions showing the paladin's horse is truly a speedy and agile beast.  The paladin's critial is admittedly cooler than the GK's, with the paladin galloping at full speed before the devastating blow from charging on horseback.  Amelia is also a very unique paladin, with long blonde hair cascading down her back and a solid gold shield to match.  Amelia as a great knight is indistinguishable from Forde or Duessel sadly.  You have the choice of having blue, green, or red paladins/ great knights.  Gilliam and seth are blue, forde, duessel and amelia are red, and klye and franz are green.  Perhaps you want one of each in all three colors.  Gilliam, kyle and Duessel as great knights will work, and their stat growth beg for them to be GKs.  Forde, franz and seth as paladins so you can have an all male paladin of each color, and forde and franz's stat growths are on the fence for which class they should be.  Perhaps make amelia a paladin to have the unique red paladin for your trio.

In conclusion, a paladin is more of a pretty novelty, and if the Sacred Stones didnt have a way of training your units outside missions or using secret shops to max their stats, I would go with the GK every time to ensure my cavalry had the higher skill cap potential.  All in all, your GK is the bad ass looking killing machine the paladin is overshadowed by.  They should be your go to choice for cavalier when combat is involved.