Return of the Emblem Chapter Eight: Affairs of the World

Phoenix

Finishing with her breakfast, Sophia walked out of the dining hall. Now what to do... She was thinking. I guess that is up to us for the time being. Hmm... She eventually stopped. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to see more of the palace, or the city. I don't know just how long we are staying here, but I must take the opportunity while it's there. Although... And so she remained in thought, still not moving from where she was.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stomach groaning, Aneda did her best to find the dining hall again without help when she spotted a Gabbie walking by. "Hmm... Maybe? Yeah..." Obviously she's going for food... right? Her thought process was extremely flawed, but she wasn't going to question her results. And besides, it's not like it's a dire situation... And that's when the sweet aroma of food, glorious food hit her nasal passages in full force. The beast was unleashed now Aneda went for some bread and called it a day. Wait... no, she didn't call it a day just yet. "Hey there..." she called out to Gabbie. "How's it hangin?"

Great Danger

While Haythem stayed behind to tend to Isis and keep her from making any particularly loud noises, Amon and Malik used the cover of night to sneak ever closer to the Tide encampment. Things got extremely difficult for them as they came into the golden lit areas created by the fires. The shadows of wandering enemies would be cast up against the canyon walls at enormous sizes. One slip up and they could easily alert the entire camp. The fires seemed almost deliberately placed, as well as the spot of the encampment, itself; no one wandering the camp out in the open wouldn't cast a large shadow somewhere. They wouldn't be pulling this off without being noticed, it seemed. The two Sancturans hide behind a large crate to hide themselves from the fire and wayward eyes while trying to figure out what to do.

<"There is just no way we can get close enough to ruin their supplies."> Malik shook his head.

<"We'll think of something; we have to."> Amon shot back, seeming dead set on completing the mission.

<"Amon, we barely made it to this crate, and you think we can somehow destroy their supplies without alerting them? Huh ... or maybe it wouldn't be so difficult for you ...."> Malik smirked, thinking about something. Despite how irrelevant it seemed, Amon bit.

<"What do you mean by that?">

<"Well think about it. You're not a Sancturan. Maybe these are your people, these Tide assassins. I mean who knows ... your parents might have even been high ranking Tide members, or maybe even the leaders. There's just no telling why a random kid would end up in the low quarters, and it wouldn't be the first time something like that's happened.">

<"... grrrr you couldn't have possibly picked a worse time to bring up an issue like that. I'm loyal to Lady Aisha, not these people. I don't need your approval. Now let's focus before they find us.">

<"I'm just saying, go up and introduce yourself. They might recognize you and let you roam about. Anyway ... they're going to find us. There's just no getting around that part. We just have to make sure enough of their equipment goes up in flames before we make our escape."> Malik confidently explained. <"I brought a few explosives for just that purpose.">

Gate Keepers

"Miss, your camaraderie is plain inspiring, but they flew off on wyvernback last night. They could be a hundred miles or more from here, and given the sandstorm coverage area, they probably are." the guard pleaded. For him it was more about keeping the woman from running off into the desert and getting hopelessly lost. "If we let you go out there--especially like this--you'll die. Do you even know what direction your friend left in?"

Gabbie

Gabbie had pestered a waiter for a couple of paninis, because 'damn this place' if they were lacking those. While she waited, she couldn't help but notice Aneda taking advantage of the complementary bread sitting near by. Someone's hungry. It wasn't long before eating got set aside for light conversation. "Hey. Can't complain about the current arrangement ... yet. We almost got cut to ribbons by some psycho in an avian helmet and had to trudge through the desert for a couple of days but now we're in a palace free loading off of these 'generous people'. So it all evens out~"

Mooooorning. Sunlight streamed in through the open window, striking Synthia’s face. It wasn’t long before she woke up. What idiot left the window open last night? ...Oh, that was her. She sighed and climbed out of bed. Gytha was gone, but the mage didn’t think much of it as she dressed and left the room. Her first stop was the dining hall to get some breakfast and she noticed a few others already there. She ignored them; she really was just interested in food at the moment.

-----

Valter had woken soon after Bert left. Due to the weather he decided to forgo his heavy, green tunic, and instead wore a simple shirt from his bag. At the moment he was sitting in the dining hall with a half-eaten omelet and plate of fruit. He noticed Synthia come in and, after she spoke with one of the servers, waved her over to sit with him.

-----

Somewhere, someplace in Ursium, a young woman was sitting on a stump, contemplating a map. She had been there for a while. Her large pegasus glanced over at her occasionally, eventually sticking his head over her shoulder to see what she was looking at. She roughly pushed his head away, leaving the pegasus looking rather offended. “Sorry, Thadeus, but I can’t concentrate with you breathing in my ear like that!” The winged equine seems to accept that, and instead craned his neck to view it from the side. “What, you think you can read a map better than me?” Cloe said, pulling it away. “I swear... It's like the gods took men's brains and gave them to animals.”

Edited by roymbrog

Veronika

"So you have to almost die to use the emblem? That doesn't sound very prudent. Maybe you should consider asking the others on what you think you should do- especially those with an interest in the emblem. While we shouldn't stay in Sanctuary indefinitely, we probably do need to rest and get more supplies. It's something to think on at least," she suggested to Raquel.

Selene

An impressive display, especially considering his limited training. I wonder what power I possess now... Selene wondered to herself briefly before turning back to Desmond. "So...do you have a plan for us my lord? Or are we to wait for further instruction from Wrath himself?"

"Not a clue," in spite of her answer, Gytha's stance and expression remained unchanged, "It's nice t' know yer worried, but I can take care o' meself. Would be nice if ye told me which way they went, though." Th' ocean'll dry up b'fore I ride a wyvern again, though.

"Yeah, seems to a lot of ups and downs, but somehow you're all managing just fine." Aneda sighed and took a sizable bite out of the bread and chewed it for a moment without swallowing, continuing her line of thought. "I know it's been a while and it's not exactly threatening, as far as I know, but I'm just gonna go ahead and say I'm still a teensy bit miffed at Raquel. Granted I haven't been in her shoes but I'm still able to think and I can't fathom why she'd do... well, that. It's nothing damning, I know I'm just... Ugh. I don't like being left out, especially if it's something important like that, something that can have a marginal impact on mercs. But look at me, just blabbering about. It's not like I hate her, or anything like that, but... but I dunno. I guess it's just yet another of life's mysteries, the mind." And then a swallow, followed by another small bite and yet another swallow. "Yeah, not trying to be a downer or nothin, just miffed as I said. To be truly honest I'm fucking living it up in this place. Those baths, those beds, and holy shit they had too many hair dyes just for one color in the spectrum. Too friggin good to be true, right?"

Raquel

"I was hoping to focus on something less frustrating for now, and stocking up is a good idea. Sanctuary is nice but we have to go right back into that murderous desert once we leave. So food, water, and new equipment are something I want to look into, today." Raquel replied, going right along with the subject change. "I'm not sure they'll sell any weapons or armor to us, though." she added, wondering what their trading policies were.

Gabbie

"Hmm, Raquel ..." Gabbie wondered while Aneda devoured the bread. "I'd be more bothered by her hoiding things if she wasn't such a delicate little thing. If she's been suppressing her powers all this toime, she's probably pretty useless in combat anyway, but at least now we know we don't have to risk loife and limb for her. She can at least survoive a couple of rounds with your run of the mill goon ... I think." Gabbie then stopped to wonder. Could Raquel last a round or two against the common enemies they faced? Now she wasn't so sure. She thought back to the time when she had beaten Raquel and Chip and left them both unconscious in the hall. All it took were a couple of kicks--one straight to the head--to take the girl down. Now she was just plain doubtful. "On second thought, maybe we should pretend she's still completely useless. With that in moind, I've got to see about getting another lance. The one Connor made served me well but it was an emergency measure for cryin' out loud. I didn't think I'd be stuck with it ...."

Guards

"Listen, if you go out there, you will die. They left by air and will return by air. You would have to travel over forty miles to get beyond the blinding sandstorms, and we do not even know where they went beyond that. I'm sure your friend doesn't want you to kill yourself merely on principle, so please try to rethink this." the guard explained.

Office

"Lord Wrath's will is no longer being hidden from us, and I do understand our current objective. Until the emblem reappears, we must prepare ourselves. Selene, you should focus on what you were doing, rallying forces to our cause. Clover, I will need you to fill in my old position. We need to quickly reorganize. Prince Athrun, if it wouldn't be an issue, I would like you to put down any worries or concerns that the royal family might have or gain in the future. The last thing anyone needs is a quarrel between the Order and the Crown." Clover simply nodded at the instruction.

"If they fly back, I'll see'em n' turn around. If they don't, I'm just closer t' helpin', aye?" Gytha asked rhetorically, "Can't stay b'hind. If me friend's in trouble n' I know about it, I'm goin' too. So, if yer not goin' t' help me, I'll just find some way meself." With that, she began looking around for a ladder or something she could use to get over the wall.

Although he had arrived at the place of eating early, Ranyin decided to distract himself with some of the fascinating concepts in his tome. Theories about how one could manipulate dark energy. It specified a technique where the mage could manipulate dark magic more easily by simply seizing less and concentrating it into quick minor dark arrows. At the expense of packing less punch, the spell would instead allow the caster to guide it more easily, enhancing accuracy, and if the caster is fast enough, fire another shot in rapid succession due to the lowered concentration needed.

It took a waiter three calls to make him realise he should be ordering his food. Asking for nothing more than simple soup and bread, the latter something he had finally grown accustomed to eating frequently, he resumed his diligent studies.

Fully dressed in her armour, Mireille took her lightning lance and made her way to the dining hall. Seeing two other fellow female lance users present and a lonesome mage in one corner...it did not take long for her to decide which group she wanted to be with.

Sitting comfortably next to Gabbie, Mireille said, "Good morning girls. Seems the discussion is about protecting Raquel am I right?"

Edited by Rothene

Guards

"Miss, listen, there is simply no way you can survive out there." the guard pleaded.

<"How should we handle this? A normal citizen knows better, but she's from the north."> another spoke up, addressing the palace guards.

<"Just keep the gate closed, and make sure the others know not to let her use any of the stairs or walkways to get over the wall. I'll try again to talk some sense into her.> Answer me this ..." the guard explained before turning his attention back toward Gytha, who appeared to be looking for something. "If you leave the city, you must travel dozens upon dozens of miles in any direction to escape the coverage zone ... until you do, you will have no sense of direction and will be hopelessly lost amid the storms. When you emerge, there will be nothing but dunes before you ... that or the treacherous mountains. By the time you even get that far, they would have made it back, and then we'll have to launch a search and rescue before you die of exposure."

Gabbie

"Pft, I'll give her a helmet or somethin' so she can take one to the head, but I'm not eatin' a bullet for her. Connor's the one I've got to look after, so it makes my job easier that he's smart enough to stay in the wagon ... now if I could just convince him to make that damn suit ...." Gabbie commented, rubbing her chin.

"If I'm with Raquel's group n' we're guests, don't ye think Aisha'll open up a way so I won't be hurt?" Gytha asked in reply to the guard, "I'm goin' t' help one o' her crew, so doesn't it make sense that she'll guide me t' his aid?"

Logic

The palace guard would have replied immediately with more dissuading points and some now needful repetitions, but Gytha's point caught him a bit off guard. He had to address it, but had some ideas of his own concerning what might happen. He put a hand on his chin and thought for a moment before answering. "If you people really are guests, then Queen Aisha may simply turn you around, yes. If she can misdirect wandering charters, surely she can send you coming right back toward the city. Our men went on an important mission and were specifically picked by High Priestess Lulu for their talents. I can say no more than that, but it should be reason enough for you to be patient. You won't be able to help them by getting yourself lost out there." If her attitude is any indication, she would turn around one hundred times over if she emerged from the sandstorms only to see Sanctuary in the distance. That is some spirit.

"If she's goin' t' turn me 'round anyway, why keep me in here? I'll go lookin' fer me friend n' ye won't have t' worry. I know Amon's good at fightin' n' he can keep himself alive, n' I'm sure th' others with 'im're good too, but n' extra hand's sure t' be helpful n' no one never needs help," Gytha casually and happily reasoned.

Illogic

"You could never reach him on foot. You can't survive out there for very long. You have no idea where you're going. They could very well be on their way back by now. There is even a chance you will be turned around by the sandstorms if you don't collapse before reaching them. Knowing all of this, why would you go wandering into the wilderness?" the guard asked, his shoulders rising and arms raising to help plead his case.

"Aye. Amon'd do th' same fer me," Gytha replied with a sure nod, "I can trust 'im n' he can trust me. He said so!" The last bit was almost more sing-song than the rest of what she said, and was certainly in a less serious tone, though it was clear she was exceptionally happy at this as though it proved her entire line of thinking.

Stuff

"I'm ... sure he would at least make the necessary preparations and gather much needed information first ... ... not just wander out into the desert with a smile and expect to find someone. Listen, if High Priestess Lulu wanted you out there with him, I'm certain she would have asked you to go with, but she didn't. The last thing Amon needs is to return to learn that you wandered off looking for him in the desert, yes?"

<"They don't appear to be getting anywhere. Perhaps we should send word to the palace."> a guard murmured.

Another shook his head. <"No need. Look."> he replied, pointing off into the distance. A crowd seemed to be both gathering and clearing the way for a woman atop a beige pegasus. It was the same look and pegasus from the previous day, so in all likelihood, it was Lulu. She had just landed and her pegasus began a long canter toward the palace and wall guards and Gytha. She took off her hood and looked at the discussion with a very unamused expression.

<"Good morning, High Priestess."> the guard addressed her before dropping into a bow. All of the guards followed suite, even the one pleading with Gytha for a moment. His bow was sloppier than the others, being so hastened.

Edited by Phoenix

"Ahoy," Gytha simply greeted in her cheerful manner, though Lulu didn't seem happy at all. Maybe the sun was in her eyes somehow, making her squint in a glarey way. "Could ye tell these guards t' open th' gate, please? I need t' go look fer Amon t' help 'im," she requested cheerily as she stood here, resting the hand that was attached to her uninjurred arm on her hip.

More Stuff

"Do you honestly think you're helping him by running off into the unknown?" Lulu asked, echoing the previous line of questioning at first. "Go back to the palace and wait for him to return." she suggested, though it sounded more like a command.

"Sorry, but he's me friend. I can't just stay back while he faces danger. More than that, I'm his teammate. I have t' help 'im," Gytha replied with a helpless smile, "If he comes back b'fore I make it to 'im, I'll see it n' turn back, too. If not, I become th' closest help he has. I won't give up on 'im. I'll keep tryin' t' get t' him so I can help out as much as I can. We're part o' a team, ye know, n' I make every effort t' ensure with me own eyes th' safety o' me teammates."

Reactions

"His mission will have all but failed if things become exceedingly violent. I didn't send him and the others out to kill or harm anyone, and you can't help him with this assignment. You wouldn't even reach him in time, not even if you went to him by air. By now they have already finished, or ..." she paused, not liking the idea of bringing up the worst case scenarios of capture or death ... or perhaps being stranded. She was trying to convince Gytha to back down, so the possibility of failure was worth avoiding altogether. Either way, she knew she would have to wait for a time before sending help if it was required, and the mercenaries Amon befriended on his journey were not even on the list of candidates as far as she was concerned. "Have faith in him. Please." she came back in a more subdued tone.

"I do have faith in him. I've seen him fight. I trust 'im with watchin' me back in combat more than anyone else. But just like he has me back, I have his," Gytha replied, not liking where this lady trailed off. It only left the alternate prospects to her imagination. "If it's as risky a mission as it sounds, I can't stay here," Gytha continued, much more serious than a moment ago. With that, she began walking to an opening that seemed to have some stairs leading up in it. Every step was filled with purpose and she basicly ignored those present. She'd jump from the top of the wall if she had to. There was no time to waste. Who knew what was happening to her friend right then?

Halt ... or Something

"Are you serious? Why on earth would you abandon logi-urgh. I've had enough. I understand how you feel, but this stupidity serves nothing but conscience." Lulu replied, switching to a serious tone as well. She didn't have to say anything else. The guards knew what she wanted, and two of them moved to block Gytha's path. They didn't draw any weapons, they only stood there like two stone pillars. Several other guards got behind them but kept to about a ten foot distance, that way they could quickly step in and form the next line blockade should Gytha try to force her way on by.

Once Chelsea woke up she changed into a batch of fresh newly washed clothes, then got of bed, out of her room, and went to the cafeteria to eat a lot. Once she was done, she decided that a good view of the city was in order, so after grabbing her stuff she left the palace to check out the city.

"My, it truly is a lovely place, even if it is in the middle of a scorching desert, it's like a paradise... or is that too strong a compliment to describe this place. I don't want to sound rude, but not overly gushy about it. I'm not a fangirl or anything."- as she was contemplating about something completely random, she noticed that Gytha was speaking to the guards, about something and then there was that High Priestess lady... Lou was it? No it was probably Lulu. It seemed as though Gytha was causing trouble for the authorities... but Synthia wasn't here to rear her in. And she thought Amon had some errand to do....

Approaching Gytha, the troubador asked. "Miss Gytha.... is there some sort of problem?"

Gytha was only a little surprised to see Chelsea. "Aye, but I don't intend on lettin' this cause trouble," she mentioned to the troubador. I'm not pullin me sword 'r gun on these people -- I don't want any trouble. Hmm would probabla be rude t' push past 'em. Don't have much choice. Nah, there's probabla another way out. She thought before choosing another direction to walk in with the simple intent of going around the guards.