Editing the FE6 Patch

Popo

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should the name "Miledy" be kept or retranslated to something else?

2. 2. Should the name "Yuno" be changed to "Juno"?

I guess a better translation would be: "An Armorknight that formerly served House Ostia."

That would be perfect.

Honestly, Devias, Leygance, and the other traitors are lucky Hector's dead; Hector could tear though all of them using his Wolf Beil even at his Base FE7 level.

Edited by fade5

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raven and I were considering changing Yuno to Juno, and Miledy/Milady/Miredey to Melody. As stated by others, Niime is going to stay the same. :3

I REALLY like Melody, that's a good one. :D Never thought of that :3

I've added a poll for the names. More to come as necessary. :3

Also, text files for Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 are up on the main post. If you want to claim one, please let me know.

Edited by Popo

Melody's a rather nice name, but I don't think it really suits her; rather, I always thought Milady suited her a lot, due to her loyalty to Guinevere.

Also, definitely Juno.

How are you going to make sure the tone for characters stays the same, if you're allowing people to pick-and-choose parts to tweak? I was gonna take a look, but this problem makes me not want to bother. Inconsistency would be worse than the boring consistency already present.

How are you going to make sure the tone for characters stays the same, if you're allowing people to pick-and-choose parts to tweak? I was gonna take a look, but this problem makes me not want to bother. Inconsistency would be worse than the boring consistency already present.

Naturally, I'm going to oversee everything that comes in. If part of the script starts to veer too far away from the original tone of the text, then I'm going to either send it back to the editor or fix it myself. Did you think that I was just going to let people edit things without reviewing them? >o<

Edited by Popo

I'm fairly neutral on Miledy/Milady/Melody. Either's fine by me and I usually call her Millie anyway.

Definitely Juno, though. It's a pretty clear reference to the Roman goddess and Juno is pronounced Iuno back in roman times when consonant-used I and J were the same letter.

Naturally, I'm going to oversee everything that comes in. If part of the script starts to veer too far away from the original tone of the text, then I'm going to either send it back to the editor or fix it myself. Did you think that I was just going to let people edit things without reviewing them? >o<

Well, it's not so much veering from the original text, but veering between chapters. Two people can create text which doesn't stray from the original in their own right, but between the two--between chapters revisions by multiple people--the quality of the writing and the flow of it can suddenly change. It's has the potential to be less like a collaboration and more like a poster-board of submissions. How you're going to deal with this is what I'm interested in.

Especially since you get the problem of who's tone is a best fit--do the first few submissions make the standard for all that follow? Do later submissions retroactively affect earlier ones in terms of revision? Is there any consistency already expected, or will that depend on the submissions themselves and how they end up looking?

Edited by Celice

Well, it's not so much veering from the original text, but veering between chapters. Two people can create text which doesn't stray from the original in their own right, but between the two--between chapters revisions by multiple people--the quality of the writing and the flow of it can suddenly change. It's has the potential to be less like a collaboration and more like a poster-board of submissions. How you're going to deal with this is what I'm interested in.

Especially since you get the problem of who's tone is a best fit--do the first few submissions make the standard for all that follow? Do later submissions retroactively affect earlier ones in terms of revision? Is there any consistency already expected, or will that depend on the submissions themselves and how they end up looking?

I understand now. :3

The best assurance I can give you is to promise that the editing process will continue throughout the entire duration of the project, and that no one area will really be safe from revision until the final patch is released. As no one but myself has contributed any strong edits, I can't really discuss or determine the exact process behind the revising phase. You're right about not wanting to let early edits dictate the feel of the rest of the script, and I agree. My goal is to let all interested parties contribute, then, polish everything with my own edits and my own understanding of what consistency should be. I realize that not everyone writes the same, and that all of the contributions will need to be tweaked in some way. Some areas might have loftier vocabulary than others, or some areas may be merely expanded, or only edited for grammar. As the primary editor for the patch, my job is to find a happy medium somewhere within all this, whether that entails cutting out bloated edits or making additions to areas that still seem a little thin. My results might look different from yours, but ultimately, I think I'm a competent writer and well-read enough to determine consistency in the script. At the end of the day, you're just going to have to trust my judgement. ;3

Melody's a rather nice name, but I don't think it really suits her; rather, I always thought Miledy suited her a lot, due to her loyalty to Guinevere.

Also, definitely Juno.

This is my feeling exactly. There's nothing wrong with the name Melody, but the name would be more appropriate with someone cheerful like Fa, Thany, or Lalum. Miledy has a more serious personality.

Also, the Wiki mentions that Miledy and Zeiss's battle conversations with Brenya are switched (Zeiss says Miledy's lines, Miledy says Zeiss's lines, I'm presuming), so one more bug for the bug pile.

This is my feeling exactly. There's nothing wrong with the name Melody, but the name would be more appropriate with someone cheerful like Fa, Thany, or Lalum. Miledy has a more serious personality.

It's nice when names give an indicator of a character's personality, but sometimes a name's just a name. I know it's a different case for fictional characters, who exist because people create them, but I'm sure most people in real life don't fit their name to a T. I have a character in one of my original stories named Melody. She's high-strung, kind of arrogant, cut-throat, competitive, and won't settle for second place. Doesn't exactly fit the connotations of "Melody", right? :P

It's nice when names give an indicator of a character's personality, but sometimes a name's just a name. I know it's a different case for fictional characters, who exist because people create them, but I'm sure most people in real life don't fit their name to a T. I have a character in one of my original stories named Melody. She's high-strung, kind of arrogant, cut-throat, competitive, and won't settle for second place. Doesn't exactly fit the connotations of "Melody", right? :P

Considering how thematic the characters in Fire Emblem generally are, I'd score a point more for names personifying the character than names as just names. I forget where I read it, but something was arguing that the biggest difference between Japanese games and Western games is how certain attributes represent a character. Characters are defined by their constitutive elements in most Japanese games, where as in the western games, their elements are often throwaways. Milady as a name develops and represents part of her personality, as VincentASM points out. Breaking down this element with a name change risks losing that character development.

I see what you guys are saying about a name needing to suit the character, but how is "Miledy/Miredy/Milady" doing her personality any favors, other than not being outwardly cheerful? Frankly, it looks like a bastardized version of some other name. (Melody jumped to my mind and others.) I think what bothers me most about it though is that technically, "milady" is a noun and not a name. "Her name is Milady, m'lady." Unless it's a pun or some sort of irony regarding how devoted to Guinevere she is, I'm not sure I can see a case for keeping it. I'm not trying to change names for the hell of it, but that one has just always jumped out at me as being a poor translation. To me, it looks wrong, and it sounds incorrect.

I was about to suggest using the names that appeared in the character art books, but then we'd be arguing over why she's not named "Turner" or why he's not named "Caerathahtakhtaaadha... whatever name they gave Caellach".

...how is "Miledy/Miredy/Milady" doing her personality any favors...? ...it's a pun or some sort of irony regarding how devoted to Guinevere she is...

That pretty much would be the reason why. Translating the text is one thing, but if you're going for spicing things up, then there really isn't any reason to remain consistent with the original text. And then you have subjectivism to deal with, where you may see the name as butchery, and others may see it as clearly-defining.

"Caerathahtakhtaaadha... whatever name they gave Caellach

Cetheldra was an awesome name and Keseldra too

Edited by Celice

I think you're wrong in your reasoning for changing Milady's name, Popo, and I'll explain why. Milady was most likely intended as a reference to the character Milady de Winter from The Three Musketeers. It is interesting to note that the character of Milady de Winter was the wife of the musketeer Athos, who was also referenced in FE6/7. I don't care if you decide to go through with the change, but I think this is something you should consider.

I think you're wrong in your reasoning for changing Milady's name, Popo, and I'll explain why. Milady was most likely intended as a reference to the character Milady de Winter from The Three Musketeers. It is interesting to note that the character of Milady de Winter was the wife of the musketeer Athos, who was also referenced in FE6/7. I don't care if you decide to go through with the change, but I think this is something you should consider.

Oh? I didn't know that. :3

I still think Milady is a terrible name in the context/period that these games exist in, but I guess I'll withhold judgement until later on in the project. No sense is worrying about it too much right this moment when the patch has hardly taken off. I'll let the poll finish out and then come back to this issue later on. Everyone on SF is telling me to keep the name, and everyone on FE Cafe is telling me to go with my gut and change it. If nothing else, I'll change the spelling from 'Miledy' to 'Milady' so that it at least looks somewhat proper.

I'll have some spare time during my summer break, so I'll lend a hand with the editing. Probably won't edit any chapters because I want to make sure I can get these edited scripts to Popo.

I'll start by claiming the Sue/Shin supports.

I don't post much, but I have to because Les Trois Mousquetaires (The Three Musketeers) is one of my favourite literary works of all time. The term Milady is not the name of a specific character, its simply a term of address for a woman of nobility. Think of it as the female variant of Milord. It simply means My Lady. Milady de Winter in The Three Musketeers is simply the wife of Lord de Winter (Athos) so a character named Milady in FE6 would not really be a reference to this specific character, but rather a reference to a social status. As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) Miredy isn't really noble in the social sense and shouldn't be named as such.

And personally, having a character named after an honorific title kind of bugs me. It doesn't seem to fit. Imagine if a character was named Highness or Milord...

I'd say Athos is most likely a reference to Greek Mythology as shown here. Mythology would be more accessible to Japanese writers than a piece of French litterature. (Not to mention also that Athos the Musketeer was most likely named in reference to this Gigantes.

I'll have some spare time during my summer break, so I'll lend a hand with the editing. Probably won't edit any chapters because I want to make sure I can get these edited scripts to Popo.

I'll start by claiming the Sue/Shin supports.

Yay! I'll add your claim to the list. If I don't send you the script sometime in the next 24 hours, remind me. I'm posting from work so I don't have access to the script/supports at the moment. >o<

I don't post much, but I have to because Les Trois Mousquetaires (The Three Musketeers) is one of my favourite literary works of all time. The term Milady is not the name of a specific character, its simply a term of address for a woman of nobility. Think of it as the female variant of Milord. It simply means My Lady. Milady de Winter in The Three Musketeers is simply the wife of Lord de Winter (Athos) so a character named Milady in FE6 would not really be a reference to this specific character, but rather a reference to a social status. As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) Miredy isn't really noble in the social sense and shouldn't be named as such.

And personally, having a character named after an honorific title kind of bugs me. It doesn't seem to fit. Imagine if a character was named Highness or Milord...

I'd say Athos is most likely a reference to Greek Mythology as shown here. Mythology would be more accessible to Japanese writers than a piece of French litterature. (Not to mention also that Athos the Musketeer was most likely named in reference to this Gigantes.

...And the plot thickens! I agree with your statements about honorifics 100%. It's exactly why I'm against keeping her name as it is. As you said, it would be like naming a character Milord or Sir or Ma'am or something like that. And just getting back to the points that were made a few weeks ago about translation versus literal translation, just because the name is appropriate to a Japanese audience doesn't mean that it's correct-sounding to an English-speaking audience.

I'm still confused where the name Tate came from, though.

I don't know, it makes about as much sense as ティルテュ -> Tailto, フュリー -> Ferry, シャニー -> Thany, etc.

man FE has some stupid-ass names

also ティト should be Tit

Edited by Agro