Editing the FE6 Patch

Popo

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should the name "Miledy" be kept or retranslated to something else?

2. 2. Should the name "Yuno" be changed to "Juno"?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Tate sounds fine.

Oh, I think so too. I was just curious why we decided to settle on "Tate" when neither the katakana or romaji come close. I guess ティト KIND OF does..

EDIT: Not sure if you know of this yet, but I just noticed the Dieck x Thany B support has a couple typos in it. Sorry if this is old news.

Edited by 1st Mate Bob

I'm conflicted about "Miledy." I think the only reasonable solution is to keep it the way it is. "Milady" is not a name--it's a way of addressing someone. Whoever decided to use it as a name is a total dipshit. Seriously, that name bugs the heck out of me. I keep trying to mentally pronounce it some way other than "Milady," but it never sounds right in my head.

As for the second question, I think you all know my answer, but I'll just mention again that I'm in favor of "Juno."

EDIT:

I think you're wrong in your reasoning for changing Milady's name, Popo, and I'll explain why. Milady was most likely intended as a reference to the character Milady de Winter from The Three Musketeers. It is interesting to note that the character of Milady de Winter was the wife of the musketeer Athos, who was also referenced in FE6/7. I don't care if you decide to go through with the change, but I think this is something you should consider.

I'm very glad you posted that! If it's an actual name, even a fictional one, I have absolutely no qualms about keeping it as is. "Milady" or "Miledy" would both be fine, in my opinion.

EDIT EDIT:

I don't post much, but I have to because Les Trois Mousquetaires (The Three Musketeers) is one of my favourite literary works of all time. The term Milady is not the name of a specific character, its simply a term of address for a woman of nobility. Think of it as the female variant of Milord. It simply means My Lady. Milady de Winter in The Three Musketeers is simply the wife of Lord de Winter (Athos) so a character named Milady in FE6 would not really be a reference to this specific character, but rather a reference to a social status. As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) Miredy isn't really noble in the social sense and shouldn't be named as such.

And personally, having a character named after an honorific title kind of bugs me. It doesn't seem to fit. Imagine if a character was named Highness or Milord...

I'd say Athos is most likely a reference to Greek Mythology as shown here. Mythology would be more accessible to Japanese writers than a piece of French litterature. (Not to mention also that Athos the Musketeer was most likely named in reference to this Gigantes.

Okay, scratch that. I already voted for "Milady," but you can ignore that. I honestly don't know what the proper solution is.

It may be best to come up with a new name entirely. NoA has done that more than once, like with Xyst->Gerik.

Edited by Gaggle of Geese

Ahah ... I hate to continue on this topic of names, but I had a thought about Ray. I've seen it spelled Rei, Ray, and Lleu. While the former two give most people a better idea of how to pronounce it, Lleu makes the connection with Lugh more obvious (if I'm correct, Lleu is the Welsh Lugh). So ... I was wondering what was going to happen to Ray's name.

Ahah ... I hate to continue on this topic of names, but I had a thought about Ray. I've seen it spelled Rei, Ray, and Lleu. While the former two give most people a better idea of how to pronounce it, Lleu makes the connection with Lugh more obvious (if I'm correct, Lleu is the Welsh Lugh). So ... I was wondering what was going to happen to Ray's name.

They already look the same. Nothing else really makes a closer connection than that.

Fine, fine, I'll take Chapter 3. Would like a reference, so I know how to make stuff fit.

Chapter 3 is ready for download on the front page. If you want to check out a chapter that has been finished, click on the Chapter 1 link. :3

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not updating; I've been busy with schoolwork. But it's over now, and (I got an Abiggrin.gif) so here's an additional update:

The period in Ohtz's (Ch14x boss) description is cut off.

Unlike what I presumed earlier, the Killer Ballista's description is NOT cut off.

Missur is called "Missul". It's mentioned in by name FE7 as Missur, so that's probably the best choice.

The forces attacking in Ch 16 are called "Coup-D'etat" and "Anti-Coup-D'etat" by the full name each time. Shortening it to Coup and Anit-Coup or going with something like "Revolutionaries" would be better; it comes across VERY stilted as it is.

In the unit menu Strength/Magic is called "Pow" and its description is "Current Level"

Formatting errors in R button descriptions:

Dance:

"Revitalizes unit

so that they may move again."

"so that they may move again" is all on the second line, leaving empty spaces after "Revitalizes unit"

Stat descriptions:

For Luck

"Luck.

Determines dodge and critical reduction."

For Con

"Constitution.

Affects speed loss and rescue."

All other stat descriptions have the stat's description starting on the first line like this:

For Def

"Defense. Reduces damage

from physical weapons."

The Give command's description text box always aligns to the left side of the screen, instead of aligning to whichever side the unit's command box is on, like all the other descriptions.

Bors-Astol support: Astol is called "Ashtor"

The Ch 17 Bern Soldier have the description "Soldiers from the western kingdom of Etruria."

Sigune's conversation with Tate is cut off:

Tate? What are you doing here"

"Yuno" is in both Thany and Tate's conversations with Sigune; if we're changing it to Juno, don't forget about these conversations and support conversations.

I just had to note this: Using an Iron Ballista, Dorothy was able to kill Sigune with one shot with Sigune at full health. Having a non-moving flying boss with no Delphi Shield in range of an Iron Ballista Facepalm_emote_gif.gif.

I'm thinking about asking for additional notes or feedback from the SA LPers; Artix and Sydin could probably provide additional thoughts, so would anyone mind if I asked? More people's feedback=better translation.

Regarding Miledy... if we're willing to entertain Xyst->Gerik tier transformations, I vote for

Anne.

Since her other aliases either have the same "really a title rather than a name" problem, or else are too similar to Clarine. Also Charlotte is a touch too long to display properly, probably.

Edited by zahlman

4oddD.png

From the first dialogue box of the save delete screen, accessed by holding down →, L and Select when starting up the game. It's the most minor thing ever, awkward to achieve on an emulator and unlikely to be of concern to practically anyone who plays the game by emulation anyway, but I figured it might as well be pointed out.

More notes that I found that:

In the Lalum and Garret Support A Conversation had Garret said the A word and the D Word. I think that kinda should be changed as well since that we are going to replace something different to tone down with the S word in Alan's death quote in order to match from FE7 and FE8's rating.

And we might change Ideen/Iduon's class Demon Dragon to Mage Dragon since that was officially named in Shadow Dragon (which its the only game that have Mage Dragon named outside of Japan).

And probably change Aircalibur to Alacalibur since that was unused in The Sacred Stones and it had it named as Alacalibur in outside of Japan in FE8 as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

In the Lalum and Garret Support A Conversation had Garret said the A word.

I can't help but laugh at this.

And probably change Aircalibur to Alacalibur since that was unused in The Sacred Stones and it had it named as Alacalibur in outside of Japan in FE8 as well.

The spell was never used. There's a bunch of unused content with "localized" names in many games. A bunch of the communities for those games refuse to have their wikis use those names unless it's just mentioning "unused" content on a special page or something.

It's Popo's call however.

The spell was never used. There's a bunch of unused content with "localized" names in many games. A bunch of the communities for those games refuse to have their wikis use those names unless it's just mentioning "unused" content on a special page or something.

It's Popo's call however.

But, it existed in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones data and game data of FE6 as well, it can be obtain when you use the Cheat Device for FE8.

Edited by King Marth 64

But, it existed in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones data and game data of FE6 as well, it can be obtain when you use the Cheat Device for FE8.

And if the name was localized as Alacalibur, that makes it a valid NoA/NoE title to adopt. Though, common-sense has a say in it too--Aircalibur is much more likely. Just as Volcannon was more likely than Bolganone.

Edited by Celice

And if the name was localized as Alacalibur, that makes it a valid NoA/NoE title to adopt. Though, common-sense has a say in it too--Aircalibur is much more likely. Just as Volcannon was more likely than Bolganone.

I found that name about Alacalibur from there: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Aircalibur (we are still trying to figure out about it)

All of the dummied weapons [in FE8] have the name "Dummy" in the English version.

It's not called Alacalibur or Aircalibur. It's called Dummy.

Edited by Baby Bonnie Hood

It's not called Alacalibur or Aircalibur. It's called Dummy.

It's not a "dummied weapon". It was fully functional. Though the same can be said for Ninian's Dancer Rings even though they were fully functional as well.

Just as Celice's linked video shows contrary to your statement, in a clean FE8 ROM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYQCm4RoiEw

More notes that I found that:

In the Lalum and Garret Support A Conversation had Garret said the A word and the D Word. I think that kinda should be changed as well since that we are going to replace something different to tone down with the S word in Alan's death quote in order to match from FE7 and FE8's rating.

He also says

crap

(not the only C word I can think of, ahem). But really, if profanity like this is a problem then the entire sequence of support conversations is kind of a problem too, considering the basic premise. (Though I don't think it really is, considering, say, FE7 Kent x Fiora.) It could probably be reworded a little, but it runs the risk of sounding a bit twee for a character like Garret.

And we might change Ideen/Iduon's class Demon Dragon to Mage Dragon since that was officially named in Shadow Dragon (which its the only game that have Mage Dragon named outside of Japan).

-1 to both of these. Sounding cool and being descriptive >>> faithfulness to the original IMO.

Also, why is "Alacalibur" showing up with a ballista icon in FE8?

Edited by zahlman

Hmm, someone's gonna have to go back and rewrite that part of the site.

No, you simply misunderstood it.

It was not one of the dummied items. Like how Luce is named "Dummy" and not functional period.

Are you sure Idounn is a Mage Dragon? The FE Wiki says that mage dragons target res, but AFAICT Idoun uses str. Her attack is translated by fans and on the wiki as "dark breath." She definitely bears strong similarities physically but her art is pretty different all the same. She also is a divine dragon made into a war dragon, so if that's different than the background for mage dragons in Akaneia, it would be questionable to equate them. Especially since none of those seem to have the ability to create more war dragons...

Ala actually is a kind of weather demon, apparently, though I somewhat doubt whoever called it alacalibur was thinking about that, since Balkan Ghosts are not really within the normal domain of FE7 allusions.