Editing the FE6 Patch

Popo

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should the name "Miledy" be kept or retranslated to something else?

2. 2. Should the name "Yuno" be changed to "Juno"?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sorry but we speak english here. 英語. so when we translate something we translate it into english. and we make it work. if you don't like that well lololololol

okay usually i like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that they're more intelligent than rhesus monkeys

but i very clearly showed that the translation works directly so i don't know what you're going on about

EDIT: that takes balls, son. aight dropping this now

Edited by dondon151

okay usually i like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that they're more intelligent than rhesus monkeys

but i very clearly showed that the translation works directly so i don't know what you're going on about

welp, I can't read moon, so I assumed you were comparing uncle to a different word entirely. so i'll sit down here and swallow this jug full o' pride and say that i was wrong, and am sorry :<

though i don't see how i'm supposed to know what what is in japanese ;/

Edited by seph1212

oooh life card

also burden of proof is on you, don't push it on me

Hey, all I was doing was offering my opinion, which if no one wants to hear then that's fine with me. You're the one who started by phrasing your words rudely. :| And seriously, I'm not trying to "prove" anything. You're the one who wants me to prove something, you get it. I don't particularly care whether I'm right or wrong in this "argument", if you even want to call it that. I just don't care for your attitude.

Hey, all I was doing was offering my opinion, which if no one wants to hear then that's fine with me. You're the one who started by phrasing your words rudely. :| And seriously, I'm not trying to "prove" anything. You're the one who wants me to prove something, you get it. I don't particularly care whether I'm right or wrong in this "argument", if you even want to call it that. I just don't care for your attitude.

regrettably

nobody's attitude here is subject to your approval

Knock it off with the rudeness, guys. It's not worth it.

popo, you wanted evidence that "uncle" is used the same way in both languages - here it is.

I know that "uncle" can be used in this particular instance, and I'm aware that this is what the original Japanese implies. However, as I've stated several times now, my preference is to stick with "Lord Eliwood" as the final translation, even if it deviates from the direct translation. Like I've stated previously, it shows closeness while retaining a sense of respect, it fits with the practices seen in other English Fire Emblem games, and it quite simply works better than anything else that has been suggested so far. The entire point of the project is to take the literal translations and doctor them up to sound more antiquated and more westernized, not to take the literal translations and reexamine them to make sure that they're correct. If you have a problem with me steamrolling over you, I apologize, but we've been debating one single word used in one single instance for much too long. As the person in charge, I'm making the final call on this one. Whether it remains as Uncle Eliwood or Mister Eliwood or what have you, relatively little is lost in the grand scope of things. I'm merely selecting the option that sounds most appropriate for script, as the person combing through the dialogue and trying to unify it.

nobody's attitude here is subject to your approval

And I never said it had to be. Doesn't change the fact that I still don't care for his attitude. Besides, what is your point in antagonizing me anyway?

the same for which you continue to respond?

YOU.

*takes out money*

I'm too lazy. How much for you to actually get rid of those auto-patches (and find out if it's the Anti-Huffman that's causing the storage glitch)?

i could probably do it in fifteen seconds, so how about nothing?

and if you want to just go cold turkey (I assume text editing is the only thing you intend to do?) on things i'm just gonna remove everything but anti-huffman

EDIT:

how about you figure out what's going wrong with Dan's thing so he gets off my back? :2

Edited by Camtech

Just so you know, I just went completely "erase everything" mode and got rid of EVERYTHING except Anti-Huffman. From looking at the doc, that should be sufficient to text edit and nothing else.

In other words, don't use the Portrait Editor/Spell Animation Inserter/Battle Animation Anything; according to Hextator's comments in the source, I removed quite a few patches that affected those.

edit:

also FE6 is the only thing that has non-huffman autopatches disabled, you can use that for fe7/8 and do whatever if you like

Edited by Camtech

That's not really saying a whole lot, considering my interpretation may be truer to the meaning than Popo's interpretation.

The most literal translation does not necessarily convey the same meaning. If people don't get the intended meaning out of a translation, the translation is worthless.

While I agree "uncle" can be used for an elderly person, I primarily see it as a title you use for a family member who is an uncle. When reading that script, I'd personally prefer to read "Lord" over "uncle".

Knock it off with the rudeness, guys. It's not worth it.

I know that "uncle" can be used in this particular instance, and I'm aware that this is what the original Japanese implies. However, as I've stated several times now, my preference is to stick with "Lord Eliwood" as the final translation, even if it deviates from the direct translation. Like I've stated previously, it shows closeness while retaining a sense of respect, it fits with the practices seen in other English Fire Emblem games, and it quite simply works better than anything else that has been suggested so far. The entire point of the project is to take the literal translations and doctor them up to sound more antiquated and more westernized, not to take the literal translations and reexamine them to make sure that they're correct. If you have a problem with me steamrolling over you, I apologize, but we've been debating one single word used in one single instance for much too long. As the person in charge, I'm making the final call on this one. Whether it remains as Uncle Eliwood or Mister Eliwood or what have you, relatively little is lost in the grand scope of things. I'm merely selecting the option that sounds most appropriate for script, as the person combing through the dialogue and trying to unify it.

I'm a bit puzzled here. I don't have the whole script in my head of course, but everyone in FE7 seems to refer to the Lycian Lords as Lord "Firstname" for the most part. Enemies and subordinates alike.

Darin: Ostia?! That would be ruinous! Lord Uther may be young and new to the throne, but he's dangerous.

ch. 16

Leila: Next was Lord Elbert, Marquess Pherae.

ch. 18

Marcus: That Lord Elbert was involved in a rebellion plot?

ch. 19

Nergal: …That was a surprise. When did he undo his bonds? Heh heh… Why do you not heed my warnings, Lord Elbert? You cannot alter destiny.

ch. 20

Isadora: No, Lady Eleanora is well. Do not worry. When word of Lord Elbert's death reached her yesterday… She said not a word…

Ninian: Why was Lord Elbert so... Lord Eliwood, why were you both... so kind to us?

ch. 1

Narrator: Its beloved and benevolent ruler, Lord Elbert, has mysteriously vanished… as have a number of his sworn men, loyal knights who serve at his side.

Elder: Lord Elbert has always been kind to us.

So addressing someone like that doesn't imply any closeness whatsoever. Or at the very least it wouldn't be consistent with the official translation.

Edited by BrightBow

Thanks to Cam here...

FEditor Adv Auto-patches disabled

Hopefully the storage glitch won't occur, and you can still use FEditor as your primary text editor.

Thanks a lot, guys! I don't have time to play around with the new version right this second, but I'll give it a look later this afternoon. Expect questions. XD Also, I was talking to some people last night about taking this whole project to the next level, so stay tuned for more news. :3

The most literal translation does not necessarily convey the same meaning. If people don't get the intended meaning out of a translation, the translation is worthless.

I don't think you quite understood what I was implying. My meaning was that my translation was both the most literal and closest to the intended meaning.

Thanks a lot, guys! I don't have time to play around with the new version right this second, but I'll give it a look later this afternoon. Expect questions. XD Also, I was talking to some people last night about taking this whole project to the next level, so stay tuned for more news. :3

I'm going to point you to my warnings in the post after Rey's, since if you're intending anything involving... well, anything more than just text then there might be problems (all I did was disable ALL autopatches except the ONE patch required for text editing; several of the others affect the custom spell animation system, the battle animation system, and more).

I'm going to point you to my warnings in the post after Rey's, since if you're intending anything involving... well, anything more than just text then there might be problems (all I did was disable ALL autopatches except the ONE patch required for text editing; several of the others affect the custom spell animation system, the battle animation system, and more).

Depending how this goes, I might just be providing the script for someone else now. Again, I don't have too many details, but I'll keep you guys posted as things pan out. But if nothing else, my goal is to just make a simple text patch. :3

That's a good thought. I'm sure there is a way, but I don't know if that would involve bringing other elements of the editor into use. Cam shut everything else off, but if changing the endings is the same as editing normal text, then I think we should work on that at some point. :3 My biggest concern is rearranging the portraits and text boxes to create the paired ending screens. I'm not sure how that works yet. XP