Rate the Unit, Day 13: Lugh

I don't get this banana thing, but whatever.

Lugh's got the right affinity, but the wrong people to take advantage of it. His most viable supports are Ray's Ice (which helps Lugh's durability, but not his offense) and Chad's Thunder (which also doesn't help with damage output). He does recruit his brother, and hitting RES ain't too shabby in this game.

6.5/10 (bias point thrown in for his conversation with Miledy)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's an average early unit who has the advantage of hitting RES, which pushes him over a little bit as he can chip some things inexpensively that otherwise require anti-Armor weapon use from Dieck or Marcus. Occasionally he can save you a use of those things which isn't terrible. Has decently quick supports with Ray and Chad, which is worth something if you use them (if nothing else, Chad appreciates the quick C when they're both seeing heavy use early on). However, I've never had him turn out too well on HM. Good? Yes. Or at least decent. But something about him always seems to turn up lackluster. His MAG growth is just average, his SPD growth is okay, and he has about the amount of HP you'd expect (not enough). Getting blessed in all three makes him a mainstay, but getting screwed in any one is a real problem and not impossible to see.

6/10

why the fuck is chad so high wow

4.5/10. He doesn't double reliably enough for his offense to really stand out, and he gets left behind because he has a horse. He's pretty much just magic chip damage, I guess.

I don't get this banana thing, but whatever.

Im assuming it has to do with the bright yellow mage robe.

Lugh, that kid Nino popped out.

Pros:

Early game mage.

Decent growths.

Staff use upon promotion.

Cons:

Bad magic base.

Meh speed base.

Durability issues.

This kid isnt a bad unit. My failure of a previous run, he rocked things. His magic has a tendancy to be assy at times. But overall, Lugh is alright. 7/10

Ehh, 7/10.

If you can manage to train him earlier ingame, he can actually pwn his way through most of the rest of the game. He has good availability, and since you get him closer to the beginning, he doesn't need to be babied much. However, if you train Hugh for the small amount of time you have him, he ends up as a better endgame unit, in my experience.

But

Lugh's colors are so pwnage-ly bright.

As far as mages go, Lugh's pretty solid. From personal experience he's gotten to doubling within a few chapters from recruitment, he has had less than stellar Magic gains, but he's early chip and a clutch armor killer, which otherwise decimate Alan and Lance with horseslayers. I've always liked Anima magic, as well.

8.5/10 without bias because bias is just bad.

Chip damage at the start when its nice. One of your only early game units that can actually hurt armors. Good but not great evasion with very accurate 1-2 range attack. Can take A hit and rarely doubled. Can take two hits if he is over leveled. Hits resist which is great since it almost never grows. Bad speed base which makes him not double anything but armors until enemies weigh themselves down with steel. Bad Mag base with a 40% growth meaning he will not grow out of it, but gains 4 mag on promo so it becomes good. He can be leveled fairly safely early on if you sit him in a forest and tank hand axe fighters.

7/10 with one bias because i love magic users.

5/10. For all the talk about him being better than Lilina, in actuality, that doesn't seem to be the case, considering it takes him a good while for him to start doubling...

Lilina never doubles on average, though, except /maybe/ the slowest of things. And she has a lower base level. She has 20 spd at 20/20 and that ain't cutting it in FE6 especially since she won't be at 20/20 likely ever so on average her spd will be lower than that for the entire game.

I mean, I personally prefer Lilina to Lugh as I dislike Lugh a lot, but she does take a lot of babying to get going and I usually get pretty lucky with her speed so eh.

Lilina never doubles on average, though, except /maybe/ the slowest of things. And she has a lower base level. She has 20 spd at 20/20 and that ain't cutting it in FE6 especially since she won't be at 20/20 likely ever so on average her spd will be lower than that for the entire game.

I mean, I personally prefer Lilina to Lugh as I dislike Lugh a lot, but she does take a lot of babying to get going and I usually get pretty lucky with her speed so eh.

True, but even though he is better than Lilina, is he THAT much better than her? I don't know... She does have a C rank to his D, which means she can instantly use the Elfire in her joining chapter, but...

Edited by Metal King Slime

If you rank units by assuming they're in play, Lugh should have a C by C8 anyway. I don't think he's a good unit at all, but he does deserve to be rated higher than Lilina, who really does take some serious babying to become any useful. Even in fairly casual play, I find I had to feed her at least 2-3 chapters of kills or so for her to even be properly functional, and while I do like using her, it's not a good point for her. Lugh can still contribute to accurate chip damage (for like 8 hp, yeah, but it could make the difference between Rutger not ORKOing and Rutger ORKOing provided that he does not crit) during that time in which he is forced and not be forced to be fed kills to be of any use to the team.

If you rank units by assuming they're in play, Lugh should have a C by C8 anyway. I don't think he's a good unit at all, but he does deserve to be rated higher than Lilina, who really does take some serious babying to become any useful. Even in fairly casual play, I find I had to feed her at least 2-3 chapters of kills or so for her to even be properly functional, and while I do like using her, it's not a good point for her. Lugh can still contribute to accurate chip damage (for like 8 hp, yeah, but it could make the difference between Rutger not ORKOing and Rutger ORKOing provided that he does not crit) during that time in which he is forced and not be forced to be fed kills to be of any use to the team.

I'm not really seeing 50 attacks in 4 chapters to be an easy matter (should be 4 1/2, but I don't really see Lugh getting much, if any, action in his joining chapter) when you're not doubling, though otherwise, fair enough.

Edited by Metal King Slime

Armorslayer

Hammer

How many other things do you really need to hit armor knights with?

I'll give you Armorslayer, but even though it's armors, I can't see Ward or Lot getting anything beyond a hit rate of 45 with a Hammer in C3 (this is kind of just guesswork, so feel free to prove me wrong), so Marcus gets that anyways.

I'm not really seeing 50 attacks in 4 chapters to be an easy matter (should be 4 1/2, but I don't really see Lugh getting much, if any, action in his joining chapter) when you're not doubling, though otherwise, fair enough.

Lugh can double soldiers and armors.

And honestly, I hate how when people praise Lilina, they ignore that she joins just before the Isles, where the enemies are mainly axe users w/1-2 range, archers, and shamans. Meaning it really limits how she can attack and move about. And at least Lugh is able to fix his durability issues somewhat with a Robe and a few levels.

Alance don't have that many problems with them in this chapter from my experience. I've just gotten back to replaying this game though, so.

Edited by Cosmic_Harold

Lugh can double soldiers and armors.

True, but as my memory's kinda fuzzy, I'd like to ask if there are many of either of those (I think chapter 6 has a good deal of both, but I'm not sure otherwise) before chapter 8.

I don't see why not if dondon can do it.

Or at least in his video version anyway. No clue what happens in his newer and updated version. Either way, if anyone gets to use axes and do it well, it's Marcus, since he actually have the skill to do so.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I'll give you Armorslayer, but even though it's armors, I can't see Ward or Lot getting anything beyond a hit rate of 45 with a Hammer in C3 (this is kind of just guesswork, so feel free to prove me wrong), so Marcus gets that anyways.

This is trivial. Hammer has 45 base hit. Armors have like 2 AS and 2 luk; Ward and Lot have more hit from skl and luk than armors have avo from AS and luk. WTA gives 10 hit. 55+ hit is kind of bleh but you nearly OHKO them as well. Or you can use Marcus and Zealot, who have a lot more hit with that thing and might also double.

HammerMarcus might not even be a thing by then. He starts with an E in Axes and often, Marcus wants to use different weapons than axes in the earlier maps.

Marcus loves using axes in chapters 3 and 6. You can send him up the middle of chapter 6 with 2 Hand Axes and that's basically an entire weapon level right there.

Edited by dondon151

Marcus loves using axes in chapters 3 and 6. You can send him up the middle of chapter 6 with 2 Hand Axes and that's basically an entire weapon level right there.

Yeah, I am going through a FE6 playthrough right now and I bought a javelin instead of a hand axe because I forgot that I wasn't playing FE12 and that hand axes don't require D rank in every other FE. Facepalm_emote_gif.gif

I regretted that decision on C6, when Marcus missed a ORKO on the soldiers with a javelin but would've done it with a hand axe. Also, no Marcus!hammer on C7...guess Lott will have to do it.

On a side note; dondon, on your revised 0% growths run, what did you have Chad steal on C6? I just settled for him stealing 8000G in cash instead of going for the 6000G (2000G+vendored idol) and a silver lance, since that's all I could reasonably get in 7 turns.

As for Lugh, he's...alright. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten Lilina yet and much of his value is dependent on her, but bar that she's near impossible to train, I'd rather go with her. Lugh's frail as crap anyways, and I can hopefully keep Lilina out of doubling range. I like to use casters as armor and boss killers (boss with like 15 DEF and 5 RES? Guess who I'm throwing at them if I can), and Lilina has the better MAG by a considerable margin; at 20/5, for example, she has like a 6-7 MAG lead and is only 3 SPD behind. For a "safe" rating, I'll just say he's average, is frail, but targets RES at 1-2 range, so...

5/10