Developer details

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=174058

- ideas that weren't used were a modern setting and a Mars setting

- ideas for Awakening were considered during development of the DS remake Fire Emblem: Shin Monsho no Nazo

- the team considered using world as well

- the final idea was to make a Fire Emblem game that was a compilation of all the great series ideas thus far

- character designer and illustrator Yusuke Kozaki remarked that this is the first time he's had to design so many characters for a game

- he was told that Nintendo would need 60 characters, but the devs wouldn't tell him it was a Fire Emblem game

It isn't really surprising that this ends up being a compilation game, though I have to wonder if the 60 characters is the total number of people we can recruit, or just all the important people.

The fact that he was instantly able to determine "60 characters+Nintendo game+I'm not Ken Sugimori=Fire Emblem" makes me optimistic about the art, even with clamshell knights.

Honestly though, getting FE out of generic middle ages setting wouldn't be bad as long as what it was taken to was right.

Renaissance would look different and open some new possibilities, but it allows the weapon triangle to exist. The Crossbow mechanics that existed in 10 could pretty much be copy/pasted to firearms (well possibly with no doubling).

Roman Empire era could also be cool.

Hell, just taking it out of fuax!Europe could be interesting.

Edited by deuxhero

The fact that he was instantly able to determine "60 characters+Nintendo game+I'm not Ken Sugimori=Fire Emblem" makes me optimistic about the art, even with clamshell knights.

It's not that surprising, since I believe he has played the games before and even worked on some TCG art.

Honestly though, getting FE out of generic middle ages setting wouldn't be bad as long as what it was taken to was right.

The characters don't look like they're from the middle ages already (at least I don't remember glasses, umbrellas or cravates to exist during that time period.)

But that could just be because Yusuke Kozaki has an interest for the Victorian era.

Edited by Marthur

Something I just noticed. One of the developers makes a remark about characters being able to be trained endlessly, which I think is referring to the Change Seal item mentioned in the latest issue of Famitsu. Before, players might be worried that a character is performing badly, but this is now less of an issue if you can keep training them forever.

Not sure if it's a terribly good idea though...

Something I just noticed. One of the developers makes a remark about characters being able to be trained endlessly, which I think is referring to the Change Seal item mentioned in the latest issue of Famitsu. Before, players might be worried that a character is performing badly, but this is now less of an issue if you can keep training them forever.

Quick guys, let's speculate about how broken this game is going to be

We already have:

- Rescue gives stat bonuses and extra attacks

- Endless leveling

Next:

- Endlessly repairable weapons

- Holy weapons that give +30 combined stat bonuses

- Movement growth

- Extra action stars

Edited by TheEnd

Quick guys, let's speculate about how broken this game is going to be

We already have:

- Rescue gives stat bonuses and extra attacks

- Endless leveling

Next:

- Endlessly repairable weapons

- Holy weapons that give +30 combined stat bonuses

- Movement growth

- Extra action stars

Ooh, ooh, this sounds like fun!

-A resurrect staff

-Being able to trade class-specific skills like lethality to other characters!

-Characters now evolve and can lay eggs with their support characters at a daycare centre!

-A convoy unit that can attack

-A convoy unit that can attack

Got that, it's Krom : P

-Being able to trade class-specific skills like lethality to other characters!

I'm a bit worried about this. Even if class skills can't be traded, what's stopping Sumia from obtaining the Dark Pegasus's special skill, then changing to a General to learn Defence Cry and end up keeping both skills?

Got that, it's Krom : P

I'm a bit worried about this. Even if class skills can't be traded, what's stopping Sumia from obtaining the Dark Pegasus's special skill, then changing to a General to learn Defence Cry and end up keeping both skills?

Was it even confirmed if the Black Pegasus ability to wield magic was a result of a skill? I was under the impression it was a new ability earned as a result of the promotion, such as Battle Sisters ability to wield axes.

Edited by Shadow Stalker X

Was it even confirmed if the Black Pegasus ability to wield magic was a result of a skill? I was under the impression it was a new ability earned as a result of the promotion, such as Battle Sisters ability to wield axes.

I was just referring to a currently unknown skill, assuming every promoted class gets a new skill.

Edited by VincentASM

If that's the case I wonder what it would mean for Krom, Velvet and MU, since special classes in FE11 and FE12 couldn't class change.

If that's the case I wonder what it would mean for Krom, Velvet and MU, since special classes in FE11 and FE12 couldn't class change.

Either they won't be able to catch up in an abusive playthrough (like in Gaiden), or the Change Proof will simply reset their levels.

Either they won't be able to catch up in an abusive playthrough (like in Gaiden), or the Change Proof will simply reset their levels.

You forget the possibility that they'll just be so good that they won't even need to reset their levels to cap everything!

or they'll have ridiculous better-than-est-type growths maxing every stat at 20/20

Hm...at first I thought something like that would make the game easy. Then I considered if Lunatic enemies actually had max or nearly maxed stats as well. All of a sudden, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

- the final idea was to make a Fire Emblem game that was a compilation of all the great series ideas thus far

I have to say, to me it sounds to me like they are doing what bugged me so far, just that they are now serious about it.

I mean since FE6 all the games were little more but compilations of past ideas in the series with very few new things notable. Did anyone care about Map affinity?

But when IS brought back old ideas, so far they failed for the most part to make them work as good as in the past.

Oh well, it's Fire Emblem. There is at least no danger from it not being worth it's money.

Edited by BrightBow

I have to say, to me it sounds to me like they are doing what bugged me so far, just that they are now serious about it.

I mean since FE6 all the games were little more but compilations of past ideas in the series with very few new things notable. Did anyone care about Map affinity?

But when IS brought back old ideas, so far they failed for the most part to make them work as good as in the past.

Oh well, it's Fire Emblem. There is at least no danger from it not being worth it's money.

Admittedly the only time where they ever did work was in Thracia.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=174058- the final idea was to make a Fire Emblem game that was a compilation of all the great series ideas thus far

So any chance holy weapons which give huge boots and are essentially unbreakable come back? Or the capturing system? or FE2's 2-5 ranged bows? And a GBA like support system?

So any chance holy weapons which give huge boots and are essentially unbreakable come back? Or the capturing system? or FE2's 2-5 ranged bows? And a GBA like support system?

>Range 2-5 Ichieval

Mother of God

I'm guessing the Black Pegasus skill would just be replaced with Defense Cry in that case.

You forgot FE10's double bow,

1-5 range Ichieval

Perfect; this way we can use it for capturing!