Should I or shouldn't I

MacLovin

I was thinking of getting an external gamepad/controller, You know, the ones that look like ps2 controllers, but work with emulators PCs.

Also, which of the nes/snes era Castlevania/Megaman game should I start with.

As in better controls and memorable gameplay.

Or should I start with the megaman X games?

If you like the ps2 controllers, just get a USB adaptor (like this), a PS1/2 controller if you don't have one, and be done with it.

You could start with X and then go retro. It's what I did.

Gamepad? Yes, you can play PSX/PS2 era games via that thing; also... get Megaman X4, X5 and X6 respectively; although X6 will be a pain due to the level designs.

SNES Era Megaman games? I say Megaman X3; since I liked it. If you want more difficulty, then Megaman X2; since Sigma and Zero are ASDF...

Edited by Frostbite

Just as everyone else above said with the controller. :)

Personally speaking, you can start off on any Mega Man game you want. My mind's all fuzzy on which of the series I started with first, because was around 4 at the time, lol. Though I'd say start retro first.

If you start with the X series, I would say go with the first since I found it to be the easiest one so you might like to get that one out of the way. And don't forget to put the Dash to the R-button in the main menu.

As for the classic Castlevanias, I would recommend to avoid the SNES Dracula X. The game throws tons of those annoying knight enemies in your way. They are really a pain. You always put yourself in danger to attack them without items since there reach is so long you can't get away in time and if you have some items, they can block them most of the time. They are so incredible tedious and they are everywhere. I found the first Castlevania to be a lot better in design. So far those two are the only ones I played.

Also, I would also like to point out that I love Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness for the 64 but I seem to be the minority in that regard. Sadly, that one isn't one the Virtual Console yet.

Edited by BrightBow

I also use a PS2 controller for PC stuff (even normal PC gaming, analog stick is so much more comfortable than wasd). I'd suggest you pick up an adapter for your favorite kind of controller, unless that's a 360, in which case, they are compatible with PCs already.

I'd say try the X series too, only because that's the least of the series that I've played that I still remember being remotely entertaining.

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest always has a soft spot in my heart.

You should probably start with Megaman, IMO it's a little unpolished compared to Megaman II (which really brought the series into its own and solidified it), but I'm a big fan of beginning from the beginning.

I don't know a thing about controllers, and I've never even gotten close to finding a Megaman game I enjoyed (you try having fun when you get blown up on a regular basis) but I do know Castlevania, somewhat.

If you're the time that doesn't do well on a timer, then I don't know if I would recommend any of the NES/SNES games. But I'm guessing you are, so I would recommend Super Castlevania IV.

Also, I would also like to point out that I love Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness for the 64 but I seem to be the minority in that regard.

I don't even know why; I really loved it as well. I even played the "original", less polished version and liked it as well. In fact, I specifically appreciate the "original" version for its hideously hard Hard Mode. :newyears:

You know you're in for a trip if the first boss in the game, one minute of gameplay into the game, OHKOs you at full HP like it was nobody's business. <3

@Topic: I have to admit that I haven't played most of the original Megaman/Castlevania games, but I've played Megaman X and Super Castlevania IV, and both are made of complete awesome. I'd say starting with Megaman X is fine; the original Megaman series and the Megaman X series don't have any direct connections as far as I'm aware, but it's your call after all.

Here is my opinion on this topic

Well, the video does contain a few spoilers so it might be best not to watch it if you haven't played it yet.

Besides, nobody questions that that the Mega Man games are awesome and well designed which is what the video is all about.

It's just about where to start with them. I stay with X1 because I thought it was the easiest of the bunch.

Castlevania 3

Play the Japanese version if you want better music and a sensible difficulty. Play the American version if you're a hardcore son-of-a-gun who does one armed pushups and revels in unreasonable challenge.

If you are interested in cool hacks, the original Megaman games have some of the most awesome, extravagant, and difficult (as in, enjoyable) hacks around. This one, for example, is just plain purty.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/910/

But if you haven't already played the original, obviously part of your enjoyment won't be satisfied, as you wouldn't have the chance to compare how much stuff has actually changed from the original.

I got a pretty good Logitech gamepad a while ago for use with Genesis roms after my joystick-pad-thing finally gave up on me. It's the F310 model, and although it's got a wire, it's pretty well designed and robust (I've...dropped it a few times) http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/gaming/controllers/devices/7360

I reccomend the first Megaman X game.

Start with Megaman 1 or 2, or Megaman X 1-3 (actually, I haven't played 2, I am just assuming it is good).

I am shamefully deficient in knowledge about early Castlevanias, but clearly you should play Konami Wai Wai World.

Edited by Jet Black Gunner