Game Nostalgia

Into Oblivion

So, what games give you that nostalgic feeling? I'm assuming there isn't a topic like this. If there is, I'll lock this one.

Recently, I finally dug out some of my old game systems, like my SNES and N64, and much to my amazement, they worked, at least the N64 did.

I started up with Bomberman 64. It brought back a lot of old memories, mostly about the days when Saturday's meant three things: football, pizza, and Blockbuster. I remember trying so hard to beat that game, and I mean really beat it, not just get through Black Fortress. I never did, but it was fun to try again.

I really felt nostalgic after getting my hands on a used Sega Genesis. I still had a bunch of games for it, some of them were among the first I played, like Sonic the Hedgehog and Castle of Illusion.

The only game I really get that feeling from would be the original Final Fantasy IV game. Not any of the updates--the exact SNES release. Its visuals and sounds became an iconic image in my memory, so it's easy to link back to.

Every other game feels like just another game.

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.

Sure, it wasn't the first game system I had (that would be the Atari), nor the one I had most titles for (Master System), but it was the first console that made me feel "okay, this is powerful enough to have solid shit." (Because let's face it: even if SMS had a few nice games - like Black Belt and Dragon's Trap - 8-bit systems have hilariously limited capabilities.)

Sonic, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage... there's simply no way I can judge those games from an even remotely neutral standpoint.

Edited by TheEnd

To me, that'd be the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon PSX trilogies. The very first video games I ever played. And I remember being pretty bad at them. XD

Then again, I was like 5 when I first played them, but I still enjoyed them for years, even if I still couldn't get everything. Just last Summer I picked them up again, and was finally able to complete them to their fullest. Man, never felt that much sense of fulfillment before or after still when it comes to videogames.

The first three Super Mario Bros games, Rygar (NES), Legend of Zelda (original), Zelda II, Legacy of the Wizard (NES), Kid Icarus, Metroid, hell, just about my entire NES collection.

SNES games include: Secret of Mana, Mario Kart, A Link To The Past, Krusty's Super Fun House (dont ask), Donkey Kong Country and its sequel and Super Mario World.

Any game that really came after that period doesnt get me too nostalgic. Save one: Super Mario 64. Anything else, nah.

I always get warm squishy feelings inside whenever I boot up Sonic 2 and hear 'SEEE-GAAA!'.

Then I ragequit at Zone 2, as has been my custom since I was five.

Other than that, at a recent local event where people bring their consoles and play video games all night (Best. Local. Community. Event. Ever.), someone brought the N64 and GoldenEye to an event dominated by other shooters. I was playing L4D when I heard the theme start, looked across the room, and saw it.

I abandoned my friends to the Horde and Witch I accidentally alerted and went to go play on Complex with only weapons being Prox. Mines. Ah, good times.

Pokemon, of course.

When I first played SoulSilver, it was like "game used nostalgia bomb". "It's super effective!"

I jumped on the Pokemon bandwagon late, but I kinda wish I'd gotten in on it earlier. Maybe then I would've had the same sensation.

The only game I really get that feeling from would be the original Final Fantasy IV game. Not any of the updates--the exact SNES release. Its visuals and sounds became an iconic image in my memory, so it's easy to link back to.

Every other game feels like just another game.

Yet another one I wish I had played in its day. I guess wishing you could've played the original doesn't quite count as nostalgia, but it's something. My first was the GBA title, and I found myself thinking, I wonder what it would have been like to play the SNES title. Of course, I didn't own a SNES until, I believe, 99.

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.

Sure, it wasn't the first game system I had (that would be the Atari), nor the one I had most titles for (Master System), but it was the first console that made me feel "okay, this is powerful enough to have solid shit." (Because let's face it: even if SMS had a few nice games - like Black Belt and Dragon's Trap - 8-bit systems have hilariously limited capabilities.)

Sonic, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage... there's simply no way I can judge those games from an even remotely neutral standpoint.

Ditto that. I also had an Atari. Some games I do remember playing on it, but for me the Genesis is the first time I really got into games.

I always get warm squishy feelings inside whenever I boot up Sonic 2 and hear 'SEEE-GAAA!'.

Believe me, I know the feeling.

I don't think I've really ever quit one of those old games like that. I mean, I remember quitting when I was out of lives, but I guess that would count. Sometimes, a lot of times, I never bothered using my continues. Of course, that just meant I'd get stuck again later. :P

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

It's so nostalgic my 1997 copy still works despite it being a piece of crap by now that it makes the game far more enjoyable thanks to the visual and sound glitches that come with said age.

Shut up The End even though I'm pretty sure you'd never poke your head here. You might. Shut up anyway. >___>

o/

The only other games I really can't judge objectively at all and just have fun that come to mind are EBA, Super Punch-Out, Skies of Arcadia and StarFox 64. There are lots of games where I can think "yeah, I remember this, feels good," but there aren't many others I can just pop in and autopilot. no pun intended with sf64

Donkey Kong Country uguuuuu I played that for years back in the days when I was a wee thing.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert (but only the first one) makes me feel all gooey inside, too.

oh man and there there was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater man that shit was the tightest

Actually, I think I can say this for way too many games to be considered healthy.

My older sisters had friends that had an N64, and I vaguely remember the times where I sat down and watched their friends play Super Mario 64.

My first video games were Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire, and the Donkey Kong Country GBA port. Good times. laugh.gif

Final Fantasy X: Techically my second RPG but I doubt a demo of FF8 would count. I love this game, pure and simple. It has without a doubt shaped me as a person and gave me my love of RPGs. I think if I didn't play it I'd be one of those annoying CoD hipsters. I shudder at the thought actually...

Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion - I know this game is only six years old but hear me out. Before I played this vacation in a CD I thought that only the games I played and liked were from Japan. And then this game came along and blew me away.

NES: Mario 3, Metroid.

GB: Faceball 2000 (basically a crappy fps with neat music), Snow Brothers, Kid Icarus: of Myths and Monsters. Zelda Link's Awakening.

SNES: Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Secret of Mana, Mario RPG.

PS1: Musashi, Final Fantasy Tactics

Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion - I know this game is only six years old but hear me out. Before I played this vacation in a CD I thought that only the games I played and liked were from Japan. And then this game came along and blew me away.

With or without mods? If without, you can prepare to be blown away again once you try it with them :)