Remaking the Thracia Translation Patch

General Banzai

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a stupid question, but is there already someone who's able to/willing to hack the game?

I could slightly edit the dialogue now that I have made a table file I guess, but I cannot add too many text as I'm simply not knowledgable about SNES hacking and there'll probably not be much space left in the rom. So if no more experienced hacker is available, I could do that. But you'll probably want someone more experienced...

if you could find me any documentation at all, i'm sure that one or two routines could be optimized, creating a bit more space.

then again i still haven't touched that snes debugger yet so O_o

BTW, is there any real need in using double letters in the dialogue font? It only takes a few minutes to change the width of letters, thanks to the game having a width table.

I guess there could be RAM issues, where a long Japanese dialogue sequence becomes super long in English and gets cut off, like in the FE12 patch.

Then again, if you've already got a table for all this, I guess it's there not much difference.

I've edited everything up to Ch. 20.

Also, I'm gonna leave the programming stuff up to you guys >.>

One thing we're going to need to discuss, though... Murder Hollace. Vincent, where exactly did you get your information as to the definition of Murder Hollace? The Ch 11x script on the site says that it's a military strategy that means to fight to the death. But... I've searched all over teh interwebz, and the only mention I ever find of "Murder Hollace" is in reference to Thracia.

Someone on chat said that it's probably supposed to be "Murder Holes", and that there is no such thing as Murder Hollace.

I have no experience with debuggers whatsoever ._. For the FE1 translation I searched everything manually in the HEX editor. So finding the data for the menu would be problematic to me.

So yeah, I'm probably of no help, or you must be desperate >_>

@Vincent: He did change the width of capitals. I think he used the double letters in order to not having to expand the rom and still be able to fit in the full text.

if you can tell me where the script is in the ROM, you can use it to find a pointer that references it somewhere. this will, be necessity, be attached to a nearby routine, probably a loading/displaying routine.

if i can find that, it shouldn't be too difficult (who am i kidding it's gonna be stupidly difficult) to alter it to allow for de/compression for in the ROM itself, but OAM issues are another thing entirely.

I've edited everything up to Ch. 20.

Also, I'm gonna leave the programming stuff up to you guys >.>

One thing we're going to need to discuss, though... Murder Hollace. Vincent, where exactly did you get your information as to the definition of Murder Hollace? The Ch 11x script on the site says that it's a military strategy that means to fight to the death. But... I've searched all over teh interwebz, and the only mention I ever find of "Murder Hollace" is in reference to Thracia.

Someone on chat said that it's probably supposed to be "Murder Holes", and that there is no such thing as Murder Hollace.

It may have something to do with a certain person (maybe you're looking up the wrong version of Hollis), or it may be an indirect allusion to something having to do with holly, which is symbolic and cultural. I did see 'Murder Hollace' listed in a name origin abstract but it was probably just a spam site collecting random search results and displaying them.

www.houseofnames.com/hollis-family-crest

Edited by Celice

It probably is murder-holes - the design of chapter 11x certainly suggests so, with the archers and mages firing over walls. The use of ホレス for holes is certainly non-standard, but it doesn't seem to suggest anything else that actually exists.

The strange thing is that technically you're supposed to employ murder-holes in conjunction with trapping enemies inside a portcullis, yet 11 and 11x do it separately...

It probably is murder-holes - the design of chapter 11x certainly suggests so, with the archers and mages firing over walls. The use of ホレス for holes is certainly non-standard, but it doesn't seem to suggest anything else that actually exists.

The strange thing is that technically you're supposed to employ murder-holes in conjunction with trapping enemies inside a portcullis, yet 11 and 11x do it separately...

The one thing I find strange, however, is how Kempf and Oltof act when Kempf brings up "Murder Hollace". Oltof certainly believes that employing the strategy is the same as "ordering us to our deaths", which Murder-Holes don't seem to imply.

I always thought 'Murder Hollace' was supposed to be a plan of action, but I'm also left wondering "Who the fuck is Hollace?" And I'm not sure on what the plan of action is? killing all the prisoners and suiciding against the enemy?

"Murder Halls" and "Murder Forest" are two other possible translations from JP sites, in case anyone's able to find any known tactic under those names (I didn't but I didn't look for very long). Typically, searches for the two of them in conjunction with the JP characters only brings back Fire Emblem related sites (so does searching for Murder Holes in conjunction with the JP characters, though).

Someone would really need to get in touch with FireLizard at this point I think, or take it as read that the plan is an in-universe thing rather than a real-world plan.

The one thing I find strange, however, is how Kempf and Oltof act when Kempf brings up "Murder Hollace". Oltof certainly believes that employing the strategy is the same as "ordering us to our deaths", which Murder-Holes don't seem to imply.

I think the thing with using murder holes is that both armies are trapped within the portcullis, and pouring down boiling oil (as you would have done with an actual murder hole) and/or firing ballistae into them would theoretically kill everyone inside. Oltof's troops would effectively become live bait, and they'd be consumed along with Leaf's army.

Edited by Agromono

I think the thing with using murder holes is that both armies are trapped within the portcullis, and pouring down boiling oil (as you would have done with an actual murder hole) and/or firing ballistae into them would theoretically kill everyone inside. Oltof's troops would effectively become live bait, and they'd be consumed along with Leaf's army.

Well, that makes sense, and I guess it isn't as though Kempf used Portcullis in the standard definition of the term, either.

As much as I hate to (Murder Hollace was the best name ever), I'll probably wind up switching to Murder Holes...

I've noticed something in this game. The enemy archer animation seems to be a little glitchy. It looks as if there's a white rectangle in between the bow and bowstring whenever they draw their bows. I'm not sure if this was originally in the game or if it was caused by the patch.

I'll upload a screenshot soon, probably tomorrow.

EDIT: I finally got around to it! Here's the animation I'm talking about. It's a tad nitpicky, but I just wanted to point it out.

post-2664-025341300 1334834946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flock of Geese

• 10 months later...

Unless you can find someone to clean up the garbage text, this thing isn't going anywhere ever again.

This was like more of a fad thread than an ACTUAL discussion to fix the dang thing.

It was more of a "holy war" of name changes.

Edited by shadowofchaos

The text itself on the stats screens and the terrains.

Garbled up text.

Like this:

²¸¶gqÄ#]¿ä"¹©-ô Fª

Adding to this the original creators of the patch saw fit to add a meme or 2 into the translation like "In America" :/

The garbled text and the dumb jokes are two very distinct things, and really shouldn't be lumped together. The former is a technical issue that could have been fixed while the latter was an intentional change on Shaya's part and had nothing to do with the guy who originally translated the text.

I almost feel bad about bringing this up, but if this thing ever gets off the ground, what about the use of the now-canon names from Awakening? I haven't compared them with fan translations, so I couldn't say what's been changed, but if they're there...

The garbled text and the dumb jokes are two very distinct things, and really shouldn't be lumped together. The former is a technical issue that could have been fixed while the latter was an intentional change on Shaya's part and had nothing to do with the guy who originally translated the text.

Forgive me for trying to lump them together. I apologize

I almost feel bad about bringing this up, but if this thing ever gets off the ground, what about the use of the now-canon names from Awakening? I haven't compared them with fan translations, so I couldn't say what's been changed, but if they're there...

That's at the discretion of whoever does the patch remake; I'd argue it's definitely the better idea. For what it's worth, Twilkitri's long stated that he intends to do it with the FE4 patch once the PAL English version launches in Australia; he'll be going with whatever it uses, which hopefully doesn't differ from the US version because seriously, fuck name changes between English versions.