Eyebrow Assistance

Titamon

Stop making excuses for the newbies. They're perfectly capable people, but they're just hiding behind a bunch of curtained nonsense because we don't expect anything from them.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh quiet you

Buuuut on a more serious note:

I don't see anything wrong with them having no idea what to look for~ It's just up to them to learn. And if they'll find out what's good for them, they better learn alright! =b

Yes they are capable. They just don't know how and it confounds them to no end how skilled spriters who know what they're doing... well... know so much XD While it isn't at all right of them to think SF is just more/too picky, I can still see where they're coming from. The good new spriters will learn! The ones that want to do all that they can to make the best sprites ever, the non-lazy ones, will know to try find what others do. And in the end they will start to have more attention to detail as well and their sprites will look less sloppy~

(I'm saying all of this for the sake of those who are new at this, btw, otherwise I wouldn't be talking so much)

Yeah, what AK said. You're enabling the noobs, Free. Stoooooop.

Omg Trent's worst nightmare?? GASAP!!! Oh my! Pooor poooor wittle Trenty-wentyyy /patpats

• 2 weeks later...

if we're being honest here, about 90% of the stuff on serenes is awful. This place has the worst taste in any forum I stumble upon. I'm not talking about only sprites, but written stories, hacks etc. And yet these are the same people who are extra critical to others. I have no qualm with it either. It's just hilarious. The way these people talk, you'd think they're experts, but then you take a look at their work and laugh. It's hilarious like that.

sometimes they look at a picture and say "the neck looks broken" or "legs look broken" even though the pic looks just fine. You know sometimes when you look at a word for too long, it seems like it isn't spelled right even though it's written correctly. That's exactly what happens to these people. They are being too critical even when they have no idea what they're talking about. I'm going to give you another example. At some dental clinics, the dentist puts a big object (eg a desk) between the patient and the mirror, so that the patient doesn't get too close to the mirror, inspects too closely, loses perspective and begins to see all the flaws that are not there and complain. If you look at yourself in the mirror for too long, you're going to find all kind of wrongs with your face, but to other people you look fine. Why be too critical when the errors are not even that bad (or not even there).

Note I'm not saying anyone should sugarcoat anything, and this is not even my thread to begin with, so I don't even care that much. But anyway, honest opinion here.

Random irate post, much? It's been two bloody weeks since the last reply here. I don't think it's really worth discussing how critical or not we're being. If you post your crap for others to see, you're automatically inviting commentary and critique unless specified otherwise; in this particular case, we were purposely asked to offer him critique. Naturally, we're more than happy to oblige.

I fail to see why you necessarily need to be an "expert" at something to think it looks wrong. If anything, newbie outlook is a good and fresh approach because of the very fact that "expert" eyes are so trained that it works against them. Of course, an "expert" opinion holds much more weight and reason, but just because they aren't necessarily brilliant or veteran at something doesn't mean you should toss their opinions aside. It's always worth some consideration, at the very least.

We're not being "too critical." We're simply offering our opinions on the work. Whether you wish to comply or not is your business, but we offer this for YOUR benefit. We don't have to reply, and we don't have to be kindly about it. We'd honestly like to see something that looks stellar and not as mediocre as everything else around here, and if the spriter in question is willing and able to make edits, then we'd be absolutely thrilled. The mug is decent, perhaps, but it could be better. It could even be amazing. It's more about over-achievement rather than just settling for the standard. What I'm getting from your post is that you're not interested in seeing in masterpieces; you just want the very basic level - the mediocrity you're so honestly admitting is awful. That, in and of itself, is a contradiction: you think we're over-analyzing everything in a standard-level mug, yet you think the standard is awful. So instead of letting others try to improve this awful standard, you'd rather they stay awful and standard rather than have a little more advanced critique try and boost them from the mucky mire of mediocrity, right?

Either way, despite my own laziness, I have a firm belief that just about anyone can make an awesome mug as long as they're willing to listen to critique, improve themselves, and practice their fingers off. Spriting is all about the details, but just because you can't see them immediately doesn't mean they should be ignored. If you have a standard mug with a dozen issues, adjust just a few pixels in each area could immediately polish that piece of shit. The details matter. It's just the nature of the art.

Not our fault you don't have an eye to see problems. If a problem's there, I don't care how good the artist is better than I am, it's there. Agahari is one of my favourite FE fanartists and miles better than me, but even she had issues regarding arm proportions earlier on (she's better at it now) and it doesn't take artistic ability too see that the arms were indeed too small. If a problem's there, it's there. Just because the viewer isn't on the same level as the artist doesn't make problems magically go away. Just because you need to stare at something for a while to even see one problem doesn't mean we all do. To some of us, they're quite obvious at first glance.

As Trent likes to say, "don't need to be a chef to know food tastes bad."

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Not to mention that people ASK for us to come in and critique things. If they didnt want that, why would they bother posting? Yeah there are some jokers who post rather meh mugs and think they are hot shit because they got flattered to hell and back at some other forum. So they get all butthurt when someone goes out of their way to say "oh btw this needs fixed."

To some of us, they're quite obvious at first glance.

Indeed. I cannot claim to be a really great spriter but i can see when obvious issues are present. If anyone can spot a shading problem, then...guess what! Theres a shading problem! If a sprite's angle looks off then chances are, ITS OFF! Its not rocket science. Even the most blunt spriters putting out replies are just trying to help. If the OP spriter doesnt want to accept that, then its their fault. Because its not for lack of trying on the part of others. Sounds to me someone is just bitter.

1. Where in the hell did that even come from? Like weeks later from people posting and you just snap.

2. No body makes you log onto Serenes Forest, so if you don't like how people work here then don't log on.

Under his face the brown neck shading abruptly ends and it seems kinda weird. Maybe add some more brown to the neck rear or some more orange?

Also, the part of the hair that goes over the headband seems a bit off in the sense that the hair seems to be something different entirely. I think removing some of that shading and putting more emphasis on the lightest shade would help fix it.

if we're being honest here, about 90% of the stuff on serenes is awful. This place has the worst taste in any forum I stumble upon. I'm not talking about only sprites, but written stories, hacks etc. And yet these are the same people who are extra critical to others. I have no qualm with it either. It's just hilarious. The way these people talk, you'd think they're experts, but then you take a look at their work and laugh. It's hilarious like that.

sometimes they look at a picture and say "the neck looks broken" or "legs look broken" even though the pic looks just fine. You know sometimes when you look at a word for too long, it seems like it isn't spelled right even though it's written correctly. That's exactly what happens to these people. They are being too critical even when they have no idea what they're talking about. I'm going to give you another example. At some dental clinics, the dentist puts a big object (eg a desk) between the patient and the mirror, so that the patient doesn't get too close to the mirror, inspects too closely, loses perspective and begins to see all the flaws that are not there and complain. If you look at yourself in the mirror for too long, you're going to find all kind of wrongs with your face, but to other people you look fine. Why be too critical when the errors are not even that bad (or not even there).

Note I'm not saying anyone should sugarcoat anything, and this is not even my thread to begin with, so I don't even care that much. But anyway, honest opinion here.

By your logic...

I want to see your work. Show me your sprite. Show me your hack. Show me your written stories. I want to see your credibility to be able to say that 90% of the stuff here on Serenes is awful. I may or may not disagree, but I want to see if you have the right to BE CRITICAL on the work on this forum. I just find it hilarious on how you are bitching about people being critical when you are being critical with the first damn sentence in your post. Pffft lol.

I'm sorry, but uh, who the fuck are you?

You just come out of nowhere, insult the forums' tastes, insult the people, and who even cares? You've never posted here, and then you come in trolling saying everybody who critiques is horribad and have no business critiquing others? Your opinion, to me, at this moment, is basically worth that of any Internet troll.

Nevertheless, I'll dignify your silliness with a legit response. Most of the people who regularly critique (Jealousy, seph1212, Freohr, HoneyBADGER) know what's up. Same goes for those who rip up stupid hack ideas; the people that offer critique know what they're talking about, or the flaws in their critique get pointed out by someone who's better at it. If say, I point out something that looks wrong, but it actually isn't, someone will correct me. There is no bad critiquing, really, and if there is it gets corrected. So I don't understand where your butthurt-ness is coming from, but the way things work here, critique is almost always valid.

:/