Improving the Genealogy Translation Patch

irtikliwT

I don't expect new bugs to show up without my having done anything to explicitly cause them, but that's happened twice now so

I see. The way things stand, I have two options for proceeding in this run.

1. I could make a savestate of the bug area, bypass it using the japanese patch, and do the same for any future problems

or

2. I could just wait until the next patch is out before continuing

Do you have a preference as to which I do? If I'm going to bug test officially, it may be best for me to do the second.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first. You get more bugs that way.

Alright. I guess I'll just wait for the next update to come out.

In other news, I've completed chapter 1, and there are no bugs there. Chapter 2 is next.

EDIT: Oh, wait, that's the second option. I guess I'll keep playing, then.

Edited by Flock of Geese

By the way, when Awakening gets released in Europe, I assume you will modify the names to match the official names? It seems like quite a lot of characters will be featured! (This will probably also clear up Celice vs Serlis)

By the way, when Awakening gets released in Europe, I assume you will modify the names to match the official names? It seems like quite a lot of characters will be featured! (This will probably also clear up Celice vs Serlis)

It seems ridiculous to me not to change the names to the official localizations, but then again, we still use the fan translated names in the patches for FE1 and FE3.

Well, if official names are to be used, there would have to be a decision which one. Caeda or Shiida for example?

Of course, if it really is only NoE localizing the game then that problem wouldn't exist. But let's hope that doesn't happen.

Edited by BrightBow

It seems ridiculous to me not to change the names to the official localizations, but then again, we still use the fan translated names in the patches for FE1 and FE3.

I think it's more a "Can't someone else do it?" issue than not wanting to update the names.

In FE3's case, the main hacker, RPGGuy has gone AWOL so I can't even touch the text again, let alone update the names : (

Although apparently that's no longer a huge problem... *wink*

Edited by VincentASM

In FE3's case, the main hacker, RPGGuy has gone AWOL so I can't even touch the text again, let alone update the names : (

Due to FE12?

The only big things I would want to change are the horrible writing and the battle text (which glitches up on less advanced emulators).

Until Celice/Serlis becomes another name too! It's a shame people would appeal to the official name when at times there are several names considered official. The next step is to regress into saying the most recent name is the best choice, but then as mentioned, not all regions will use the same name.

If there is any disparity between regions with regards to names we would of course be going with whichever names are used in Australia (ignoring the possibility of DLC being released in the US but not here and so on).

How come you can't at least change the names on the main Serenes Forest site? It's weird that the FESD page uses Jeorge, Gordin, etc, while the FE1 page uses George and Gordon.

When I update FE1 it'll have the official names.

If there is any disparity between regions with regards to names we would of course be going with whichever names are used in Australia (ignoring the possibility of DLC being released in the US but not here and so on).

Ewnt3.gif

As long as you add in some reference to a kangaroo and a cork hat

I just finished a playthrough with the new patch. Generally enjoyed the updates, and I even found myself calling the lord of Gen II 'Serlis' in no time at all :P:.

I was wondering, though, if it would be possible to change some of the terrain info names to have their full words? The terrain window can fit 'Barhara,' six characters, without seemingly any issues. Why is it that we have 'Mdow' instead of 'Meadow,' 'Wood' instead of 'Forest,' 'Clif' instead of 'Cliff,' etc. It's just a pet peeve of mine, seeing unnecessary abbreviations like that. I was also wondering if 'MntThf' could be changed to 'Bandit?' Since both terms have been used throughout the series, and, since FE4 differentiates between Brigands and "Mountain Thieves," I feel like using both class names would be acceptable (plus, as I said, I hate using abbreviations when it's avoidable).

I might give the patch a try. But generally Fe4 patches cause my rom to not load on Snes9x.

You literally had me until Serlis and Aoife. But those might just be a deal-breaker.

Says the guy who temporarily turned Cuan and Ethlin into Quinn and Ethel :p

Imma have to agree on this. I wonder what kind of drug someone would have to be on to turn Celice into Serlis? lol

Edited by Nayr

Imma have to agree on this. I wonder what kind of drug someone would have to be on to turn Celice into Serlis? lol

Ask the folks at Nintendo Power? It's only changed because 'Serlis' is the name used that publication (the "official" Nintendo magazine). To be fair, Zigludo is the name used for Sigurd in the same publication, but obviously that one was pretty absurd. Still, it's up to Twiliktri's discretion, and Serlis is a valid name to use.

And I was just having fun with absurd localizations :P:. Besides, it was "Quinn and Evelyn" for the ultra fun rhyming trio of "Quinn, Finn, and Evelyn."

Edited by Arch

To be fair, Zigludo is the name used for Sigurd in the same publication,

http://www.fire-emblem.com/gba/launch/history/index.jsp

You should read from the actual abstract Twilkitri used.

The four-letter limitation is most likely a limitation of how the text is drawn on the screen. Which would in turn mean the solution isn't just to write more than four letters, but to see if one can adapt the code to allow more than four letters. Four glyphs is pretty flexible in Japanese in terms of expressing in this context--that is the reason towards your "why."

Ask the folks at Nintendo Power? It's only changed because 'Serlis' is the name used that publication (the "official" Nintendo magazine). To be fair, Zigludo is the name used for Sigurd in the same publication, but obviously that one was pretty absurd. Still, it's up to Twiliktri's discretion, and Serlis is a valid name to use.

And I was just having fun with absurd localizations :P:. Besides, it was "Quinn and Evelyn" for the ultra fun rhyming trio of "Quinn, Finn, and Evelyn."

Technically, Cuan didn't need localizing. It's an Irish name meaning "little wolf. http://www.behindthename.com/name/cua10n " :p

Edited by Nayr

The four-letter limitation is most likely a limitation of how the text is drawn on the screen. Which would in turn mean the solution isn't just to write more than four letters, but to see if one can adapt the code to allow more than four letters. Four glyphs is pretty flexible in Japanese in terms of expressing in this context--that is the reason towards your "why."

You didn't read my comments very thoroughly, did you Serlis? The terrain window supports words as long as "Barhara," which is why I was asking about the seemingly unnecessary abbreviations.

Also, thank you for linking to that publication. I was going off of the Nintendo Power article, but this one further solidifies Serlis/Sigurd as the proper localizations.

Edited by Arch

If the text is handled differently, regardless of the text box itself, then location names being longer than terrain names has no relevancy. One shouldn't presume uniformity, thus interrelated limitations, simply because of where both texts are drawn on the screen. You should instead actually inspect how the game interprets the text, not by what visually occurs.

Well, that was the point of asking the damned question. However, it was more directed towards Twiliktri; I was hoping for someone who understood the subject to comment, rather than just listening to someone's speculations. I'll wait for his confirmation. I was only bringing it up because, if silly abbreviations are avoidable, I'd like to see them avoided.

Edited by Arch

Well, that was the point of asking the damned question. However, it was more directed towards Twiliktri; I was hoping for someone who understood the subject to comment, rather than just listening to someone's speculations. I'll wait for his confirmation. I was only bringing it up because, if silly abbreviations are avoidable, I'd like to see them avoided.

This can be fixed with a little rearrange of pointer.

You can check this patch to see the full word Freege, Jungby or Chalphy or other terrain in the text box.

Edited by hanhnn