Improving the Genealogy Translation Patch

irtikliwT

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It ought to be safe since the one is an update over the other.

It would be more convenient for you if you were softpatching instead of hardpatching (assuming that it is available on your emulator of choice).

No I wasn't

Releasing version 0.87f

Same locations as before

If caching is giving you grief let me know and I will look into putting them under different names but geez

Improved by:

- Renamed Aoife to Oifaye

- Renamed Bowfighter to Archer

- Renamed Swordfighter to Myrmidon

- Renamed Axefighter to Fighter

- Renamed Thieffighter to Rogue

- Renamed Magefighter to Mage Hero

- Renamed Ranger to Hero

- Renamed Forest Knight to Ranger

- Renamed Astra Sword to Astrasword because Astra Sword sounds off

- Renamed Luna Sword to Lunasword to match Astrasword

- Renamed Sol Sword to Solsword to match Astrasword

Looks good, I just have a few questions. Is what is translated as Myrmidon called Swordfighter in Japanese in any of the games? It seems like a pretty good change it will just be a little strange to have Myrmidons promoting to heroes. Also is there a reason for the Magefighter -> Mage Hero switch? It just seems kinda random and strange to me. Finally I'm pretty sure Astrasword sounds exactly the same as Astra Sword it just now looks much weirder as a skill name.

FE4/5 use ソードファイター for Swordfighter. This name uses katakana, spelling out "sohdofaitaa" - literally, Swordfighter.

FE6-12 use the kanji 剣士 for the class translated as Myrmidon. Instead of lining up in sound, it lines up in meaning, literally "swordsman". FE13 adds a third character to that name, making it literally translate as "swordfighter", and indeed, the class roll offers Swordfighter as the class name's romaji counterpart. I don't know if this version of the name has been used in any of the other games; I thought it was, but based on pegasusknight.com, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Oh boy! Now we can find even more things to complain about!

irtikliwT hath ruined FE4 for me 4evur, my childhuud was ruining.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Refa

Looks good, I just have a few questions. Is what is translated as Myrmidon called Swordfighter in Japanese in any of the games? It seems like a pretty good change it will just be a little strange to have Myrmidons promoting to heroes.

If I called them Mercenary you could say the same thing about Mercenaries promoting to Swordmasters. Kind of a catch-22 here. (Also Mercenary is a promoted class in FE5 but I think the patch changed it to Hero there so that wouldn't be too much of a problem).

Also is there a reason for the Magefighter -> Mage Hero switch? It just seems kinda random and strange to me.

Didn't want to leave Magefighter on its own when all the other -fighter classes were being renamed. Seems the best idea would be to parallel it with a footclass the way Mage Knight is paralleled with horseclasses. Footclasses don't really have the best names for that, though. Magemaster gives completely the wrong impression, Mage Sage is worse, Mage Rogue is dumb, and so on. Mage Hero is servicable and they use swords like Heroes do.

Afterwards I considered using Magister instead but it's not really mage-relevant.

Finally I'm pretty sure Astrasword sounds exactly the same as Astra Sword

It doesn't, but if you don't keep a leash on Astra Sword it tries to be read like Astrasword. In which case why fight it

If I called them Mercenary you could say the same thing about Mercenaries promoting to Swordmasters. Kind of a catch-22 here. (Also Mercenary is a promoted class in FE5 but I think the patch changed it to Hero there so that wouldn't be too much of a problem).

Yeah I would, but I see nothing wrong with leaving swordfighter as it was. Both Mercenary and Myrmidon don't really make all that much sense.

Didn't want to leave Magefighter on its own when all the other -fighter classes were being renamed. Seems the best idea would be to parallel it with a footclass the way Mage Knight is paralleled with horseclasses. Footclasses don't really have the best names for that, though. Magemaster gives completely the wrong impression, Mage Sage is worse, Mage Rogue is dumb, and so on. Mage Hero is servicable and they use swords like Heroes do.

Afterwards I considered using Magister instead but it's not really mage-relevant.

Now this is really strange. Mage Hero sounds crazy and comes out of nowhere. Mage Fighter is an equally fine parallel to a footclass as Mage Knight is to a mounted class. Though if you're really set on not using Mage Fighter I'll throw out Battlemage as a suggestion. Its used in plenty of other fantasy games to describe a sword using mage and sounds much better than mage hero.

It doesn't, but if you don't keep a leash on Astra Sword it tries to be read like Astrasword. In which case why fight it

Eh, it still looks weird to me but it's not that big of a deal.

I wouldn't want to leave Swordfighter while I was changing Bowfighter and Axefighter, and Othin seemed like he had his heart set on those

Mage Fighter would imply that they used magic and axes

I wouldn't want to leave Swordfighter while I was changing Bowfighter and Axefighter, and Othin seemed like he had his heart set on those

Hey, it didn't stop IS from creating Wyvern Lords who actually can't seize.

Now you're going in circles. Just leave swordfighter and mage fighter. It makes more sense and doesn't sound as strange. Other FEs had no problems having Dark and Light makes without changing the standard mage class to Anima mage or something. Also, class names imply nowhere near what you think they do. FE8 had no problems giving us mage knights that were neither armored nor used lances, and there are plenty of other examples.

Bug report!

In chapter 7, right after turn 2 enemy phase, there's an event at Darna castle. Right as the scene changes to inside the castle, the game glitches up. I have attached a screenshot of the glitch occurring, but don't expect to get much information from it.

In the meantime, I think I'll replay chapters 1-3 just to make sure there aren't any bugs there. I started using 0.87e on chapter 4, so I wouldn't know if there were any bugs before that. Unless, of course, someone else wants to play them instead, which I don't think they do.

post-2664-019646900 1334834815_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flock of Geese

Well, that should be easy for me to look into at least. I'll do that momentarily.

[EDIT]

Okay, the problem was that SIF was trying to point the 'Darna' castle label text at the end of the 'The Miracle Of Darna' text from the chronology, and this resulted in a broken pointer being written out because the chronology text uses 16-bit pointers while the castle label text uses normal 24-bit pointers.

I haven't actually changed the chronology text file or the cutscene castle label text file since at least the last pre-Serenes patch. The ways of SIF's merger are mysterious and beyond my ken.

Rather than actually fix SIF's merger to return appropriate addresses, for the time being I have disabled merging across the entire cutscene castle label file, which wastes a bit of space as there were several entries within it which could safely merge with each other at the very least, but it has fixed the problem.

I probably won't get around to releasing an update tonight though.

Given all the copyright talk in other threads - what are peoples' stances on the current dialogue font? In case people haven't noticed, it's the font from FE7, which I brought in aeons ago because the previous font was fairly horrible and also far too wide, without giving any consideration to such things.

Edited by irtikliwT

Well, that should be easy for me to look into at least. I'll do that momentarily.

[EDIT]

Okay, the problem was that SIF was trying to point the 'Darna' castle label text at the end of the 'The Miracle Of Darna' text from the chronology, and this resulted in a broken pointer being written out because the chronology text uses 16-bit pointers while the castle label text uses normal 24-bit pointers.

I haven't actually changed the chronology text file or the cutscene castle label text file since at least the last pre-Serenes patch. The ways of SIF's merger are mysterious and beyond my ken.

Rather than actually fix SIF's merger to return appropriate addresses, for the time being I have disabled merging across the entire cutscene castle label file, which wastes a bit of space as there were several entries within it which could safely merge with each other at the very least, but it has fixed the problem.

I probably won't get around to releasing an update tonight though.

Given all the copyright talk in other threads - what are peoples' stances on the current dialogue font? In case people haven't noticed, it's the font from FE7, which I brought in aeons ago because the previous font was fairly horrible and also far too wide, without giving any consideration to such things.

Thanks! I don't know much about rom hacking, but do you think this fix will cause any side-effects?

BTW, I've finished the prologue--no errors here. I'm currently on Chapter 1.

Since the only thing that's going to happen for that particular fix is disabling merging on that particular script file, the only adverse effect which -should- be possible would be for dialogue space to run out, but it hasn't.

Of course this is the world where that problem rose up out of nothing in the first place because of completely unrelated changes altering the context enough that SIF decided it would be a good idea, so who knows whether it will commit chicanery elsewhere.

Unfortunately I don't think that it's currently possible to flag a script as not to be merged with, only as not to be merged from, otherwise I would put that flag on the chronology file instead.

I would like to change the font but as I have said in the past I have the graphical skills of a block of butter. I guess I could look around for BSD-licensed fonts or something, but I'm not sure I completely trust my ability to translate them into 2-bit colour.

I concur with the notion to have the dialogue font changed; the US FE7 dialogue font is pretty bleh in its native context (seriously, what was it with the wave of ugly tall fonts on firstparty GBA titles in the early 2000s?), and it somehow looks even worse in FE4. Any idea where the Thracia translation patch got its font from? It's a rather nice font, and if both patches used it (assuming the people debating its revision don't intend to remove it), it'd be a further nice way to bridge some consistency between the two patches, so if that's a legitimate option that'd be a thought.

I'm going to admit I'm also not very fond of the gameplay font either - it strikes me as too stylised and difficult to read for what's meant to be easily readable and accessible, and that was my biggest stumbling block in getting around to properly playing FE4. This may just be me, though.

The font used in the FE4 patch and US FE7 is the same from A Link to the Past. Doesn't fit in FE4 as well as it does in Zelda, though.

Edited by Jave

I would like to change the font but as I have said in the past I have the graphical skills of a block of butter. I guess I could look around for BSD-licensed fonts or something, but I'm not sure I completely trust my ability to translate them into 2-bit colour.

http://www.romhacking.net/fonts/

Not a large selection and was abandoned pretty quickly, but you might find something in here. Alternatively, you could just take a quick look at random game translations/games of a similar style, see if a font jumps out at you, and then rip it and use it. I've kept a small collection of interesting fonts for projects I'll never use; if you'd like them, I could take a look some time.

Hey irtikliwT, have you gotten around to posting the updated patch yet?

I wanted to look into the problem where viewing a leader on the data screen then cancelling the leader viewing turns all '------' leader names into '------is' first.

dashdashdashdashdashdashis.png

Edited by irtikliwT

Alright. In the mean time, I'll continue my ch. 1-3 run, and continue my main game in a bit. I'll create a save state of the glitchy part, then just use the JP rom to move past it.

By the way, irtikliwT, when you make new releases of the patch that fix bugs, do you expect that any new bugs will pop up? I know you can't predict with absolute certainty, but I'd hate to move past a part in the old patch only to skip over a place where there's a problem in the new one.