Rate the Unit, Day 4: Nolan

PKL

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode (JP Maniac).

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Savior to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Skills can be reassigned freely.

- No transfers.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Leonardo: 2.531

Edward: 6.316

Micaiah: 6.5

Nolan, the Fighter who walks like a Swordmaster. Comes at level 9 in the early game, gets a custom axe, can use crossbows on promotion and has access to the games best weapon type, has an earth affinity which makes him laugh off attacks even more (especially since the DB had 4 Earth Affinity characters though LOL COUNTING FIONA) any deficiencies in stats will more often than not be made up by BEXP levels, and he's not a bad investment at all since he can walk into the end game just fine.

A major force throughout the game 9.5/10 with a bias point since despite being less fragile than everyone else, this is still maniac mode.

Edited by Onmi

Nolan is definitely one of the best Dawn Brigade characters. Earth affinity sets him up for ridiculous +30% Avoid supports, the Tarvos is just great, and he gets Crossbows. The only real problem with him is that, being a DB character, he has bad availability. Despite this, he's definitely endgame-worthy

9/10

He's the best of the Dawn Brigade. Not only does Nolan have the best weapon type, he has the best Support affinity. He's crucial to SURVIVING in the earlygame, and once he promotes he proceeds to wreck house. Easily in the top three Axe users.

8.75/10

Nolan comes early with good stats and good growths. While not the best in Part 1 he's likely to be used for the fact that he'll outshine the other options for Part 3 (Sothe, Volug and Zihark). He gets a custom axe which improves his damage AND survivability right when it's needed to hold the line.

His stat growths are pretty all-round so he has no clear weaknessess and his class allows him to reach that 34 key speed.

When part 4 rolls in he's likely to be a bit underleveled but he is salvageable for sure. More so then most DB members.

8.7/10

Nolan comes early with good stats and good growths. While not the best in Part 1 he's likely to be used for the fact that he'll outshine the other options for Part 3 (Sothe, Volug and Zihark).

Volug is probably better in Part 3 since he's quite a bit faster and doesn't really need to be levelled.

Volug is probably better in Part 3 since he's quite a bit faster and doesn't really need to be levelled.

Which is why you have them support one another and laugh as the enemy proceeds to never do anything ever.

You need Nolan. That's about all there is to it. If he weren't already a pretty good unit on a team that desperately needs him, that'd be one thing, but Nolan has a lot of other things going for him. He comes early and doesn't suck, he keeps getting better, he has everything a Fighter wants (SPD, SKL, and his STR is actually pretty damn good too), is decently durable (and comes with that juicy Earth support to make him even moreso)... and that's still not it. He can Crossbow with Beastfoe in Part 3, he gets Tarvos to both kick ass and improve his defenses, and he remains pretty useful even in Part 4 where you have access to many other units.

He tends to want favoritism, but he doesn't demand a whole lot in the way of resources other than being allowed to kill things. And honestly, why wouldn't you use him to kill things? He's great at it. One of the easiest DB units to level up, and the one who arguably gives you the greatest payoff. He ain't the best unit in the DB, if only because he does have to be leveled, but he's one of the best long-term potential units in the DB and he's critical in Part 1 and Part 3. Pair him up with Volug and any complaints about 3-6 are drastically overblown.

9/10

Nolan/10

He is reliable throughout the entire game. Growths are great, joins tanky and can reasonably promote in part 1. Then he gets Tarvos. Like all DB's, he's a bit underleveled in part 4, but definately salvageable.

9/10 + ias

10/10

Pair him up with Volug and any complaints about 3-6 are drastically overblown.

That's laying it on a bit thick, if you ask me, considering that these ARE laguz we're talking about after all, and they're pretty darn accurate.

I prefer to support Nolan with Edward. It's quite a bit faster and gives defense. Even with double earth Nolan's avoid isn't really reliable, but the defense can make the difference between dying in two hits and dying in three hits. Having more hit is also useful in Part 1.

also edward is just :3

7/10, I guess. He's good in Part 3 and clutch in early Part 1, but elsewhere he's nothing to write home about. I kind of I find it hard to like Nolan or be impressed by him...

8/10 He's pretty clutch in early part 1 but then starts to be overshadowed as units such as Volug, Tauroneo and Nailah come into play; once they're gone, however, he wrecks in part 3 with 18 STR+Beastfoe+Tarvos, and once you're pumping BEXP to keep his speed up to par, he's stomping part 4 under his boot due to doubling with huge MT.

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter

Brolan/10

Clutch in P1. Clutch in P3. Excellent on key areas. Best affinity. Tarvos. He isn't my current badge for nothing. P4 he us usually a bit behind on though.

10, including a bias of .75, since he is rocking the facial hair.

8/10 Pretty clutch in a lot of Part 1 and 3-6

Also really overreated. If he isn't at a high level by part 4 (which is likely to happen), he is deadweight by then. And it can be hard to get him the necessary kills to make him good there while also raising an excellent Jill.

8/10 The only member of the Dawn brigade who doesn't die if looked at funny (Well, aside from Sothe) and one of the more useful units of part 1. He's got some issues but continues to be useful pretty much forever. Also his Earth support is a blessing when all your units suck defensively.

Edited by Snapdragon

9.5/10

Well he is an axe user and I use him, meaning, he rocks. He has a great support type, earth. Also, he is probably the only dawn brigader who isn't dieing all the time...

Nolan, the Fighter who walks like a Swordmaster. Comes at level 9 in the early game, gets a custom axe, can use crossbows on promotion and has access to the games best weapon type, has an earth affinity which makes him laugh off attacks even more (especially since the DB had 4 Earth Affinity characters though LOL COUNTING FIONA) any deficiencies in stats will more often than not be made up by BEXP levels, and he's not a bad investment at all since he can walk into the end game just fine.

A major force throughout the game 9.5/10 with a bias point since despite being less fragile than everyone else, this is still maniac mode.

I can imagine your surprise in the further Dawn Brigade chapters.

Yes...it confused me.

Aran, oh geez really, what is this?

Volug, yes!

Meg, wth?

Fiona fuuuuccckkkk no..

Nailah, Fuck yea!

Tauroneo, god! Wait, where did you go?

Tormod, hmm...

BK, oh hell yea!

Edited by Elieson

Nolan, the supposed leader of the DB until Micaiah totally hijacks that away from him. (sadface)

Pros:

:awesome:

Omg speed on a fighter! Wut is this!

Hits hard.

Good support partner.

High base level.

Murdering everything.

Beefy.

Tarvos.

Cons:

Doesnt double (with a steel axe) much for a while.

Nolan is a bawss. Hes a little slow at first because his base speed isnt totally awesome, but after a while, that goes away. Hes probably the first guy in your party to promote and fuck all do things die when he does. Hes also one of the only DB members that doesnt need excessive hand holding from the get-go. He's a great support partner because Earth affinity is wrong. Pair him up with Volug or Zihark (or Fiona if you are feeling bold) and lol at how broken Earth pairs are. Pair him up with Edward and Eddie might actually not block axes with his face. Nolan also gets his own prof axe in part 3. Tarvos is pretty awesome and spammy. Hes taking down laguz pretty hard. Plus the use of crossbows in 3-13 makes all the hawks die. Hes just really solid and i cannot find much wrong with him. Like all the DB crew, hes gonna probably struggle for EXP later but ehh. Its not that huge of a problem for Nolan.

9/10. 10/10 bias because beard and Nolan is a bawss.

A everyone is saying. Nolan is crucial for the DB for like forever. He has axes which is a plus. Actually has some speed, but needs bexp to keep his strength in check. But his 45 strength growth might get him RNG screwed. Good thing there is bexp.. Part 3 comes and he gets tarvos which increases his defr and overall durability. Pair that in with his blroken earth support and he's awesome. However he'll get somewhat overshadowed by volugand zihark. So... 8.5/10- 0.5= 8.05/10. Sorry,I prfer the other warrior you get...

10/10

-Good bases

-Good growths

-Helps out in the weakest team in the hardest part of the game

-Uses Axes

-Manly Facial Hair

-Earth aff.

-Probobly the best DB in HM throughout the game, its either him, Jill, or Zihark.

But, he relies on his growths, and 45% str growth is above average-his cap is very high though.

oh, and I included +1 bias point.