New sacred stones hack! GregFE

mistergreg

So this is my first rom hacking project, and i went with sacred stones because of the monsters and multiple promotion paths.

So far i have finished up the the final chapter of Eirika's storymode. I'm only about 30-40% done overall.

Watch this video to see a few of the later boss battles, and get a view of some of the current edits.

This is the description strait from the description of my video on youtube.

"This is a fire emblem hack i've been working on lately. It is a hack of the US version of fire emblem 8, Sacred Stones.

So far I have changed:

-All chapters of Eirika's story mode - enemies, map music, weather effects

-All recruitable characters in Eirika's mode

-Some promotion edits, including necromancer and some custom classes

-Several recruitable characters now have monster classes

-Character names have been changed and portraits have been re-arranged

-Chapter bosses have all been edited, and the final few bosses are all custom

-A couple custom items have been added, some existed have been edited

-General difficulty has been increased (i think)

-Possibly other things I am forgetting at this time

What is still being worked on:

-Ephraim's story chapter edits

-Some rebalancing with classes

-Some character changes

-Some bug fixes (not many, and nothing game breaking)

What needs to be done: (stuff i need help with/can't do currently)

-Music replacements (sappy won't freaking open no matter what i do)

-custom animations, animation edits

-new portraits

-edited storyline (right now all cutscenes are the same as the original game)

-A couple other issues that i am forgetting

If anybody can assist me with any of the issues listed above, PM me

Patch Download link:

http://www.gamefront...6021/GregFE.ips

You will need a clean fire emblem 8 rom (google is your friend), an emulator, and Lunar IPS patcher which can be found here: http://fusoya.eludev...ility.org/lips/

EDIT 1:

Tomorrow i will be putting up another patch, fixing some of the smaller issues. I also changed some of the things people had complained about, and i hope that its better. The first few chapters of ephraim's route will also be included. (up to the grado capital chapter) If there are any more issues/bugs that anybody is aware of that aren't already listed, let me know.

Edited by mistergreg

Hey, you know Nightmare and know how to patch. That's something more than some people. And you have a video. That shows you've done something.

Now, you haven't done anything beyond Nightmare edits, so I can't say much. As for the issues, I can at least point you in the right direction.

-new portraits

Depending on your spriting ability, you can do these yourself or get others to do them for you. You, unlike most hackers who beg for portraits, have made some progress. This is good. Keep it up. But for now I suggest making basic splices. There's lots of great tutorials in the Sprites board here. Someone compiled all of the GBAFE mugs somewhere, so you have those. I'm not going to give spriting advice here also because I'd get crucified by the "gods" but if you make a few pieces that you plan to insert I wouldn't mind helping out with critiques.

I assume you have FEditor because you changed names. FEditor also inserts portraits. There's multiple tutorials on inserting them properly. It can get tedious, trust me, I've been there, but once you know how to do it you're going to move even more forward.

-edited storyline (right now all cutscenes are the same as the original game)

I assume you're looking to do more than reskin this hack, so you'll need Event Assembler for that. Events take more time to learn shut up you event gods but if you commit to the time and effort you'll understand them. You'll also need custom maps which can be done with either Mappy or Tiled. Once again, they're around here somewhere, and there's great tutorials on proper map making.

Having a plan is the first step, though. Write out a basic outline of the story, and then let the tools do the rest.

Good luck!

Well my main goals for this project, were to create a new storyline and edit all of the characters, i wasn't really planning on going any further (as in custom maps/events). My first goals were to do the main part of the game, and then add in the graphical content afterwards (which i have attempted several times, and am horrible at). My main problem at the moment that I am trying to resolve is with the music, i can't find ANY working music programs. I have tried every version of sappy but they all give me the same error, i have also tried another music editor which i was also unable to get working. (but i can't remember its name at this point) At this point i'm sort of focusing on finishing the chapter edits, and music replacements, and will worry about graphics at the end.

Unless his ROM isn't expanded

which by the sound of it is true, because LIPS doesn't work with expanded ROMs.

@topic maker

1) Make patches using NUPS

2) Do some exploring etc. with programs. FEditor Adv and some others are nice. I have a tutorial that might help you with making edits in general at http://www.feshrine.net/ultimatetutorial/

3) Be creative/unique

4) Keep being organized and having good grammar because people on this forum quickly look down on "noobs"

5) Good luck!

Unless his ROM isn't expanded

which by the sound of it is true, because LIPS doesn't work with expanded ROMs.

It does, actually. The IPS format cannot address ranges larger than 16MB. So if the ROM is expanded beyond that limitation, then no IPS patcher will work.

So it's not that it doesn't work on expanded ROMs, but that it doesn't work on ROMs expanded beyond 16MB.

Well, I've started playing this, so I might as well let you know about a few things that irked me, and some things that aren't working right.

* The Yami tome has no animation whatsoever and seems to be doing physical damage.

* Setto starts with an E in Dark: Why? You're pretty much forced to use 10 uses of Yami, because even though you get a Flux tome in Ch. 1, it isn't wieldable with an E in Dark.

* Amy is obviously a MALE Wyvern Knight (9 Con, 16 Aid), when the portrait and name suggest otherwise.

* Have fun manipulating a 43% miss to make sure Ross (completely unedited BTW) survives! Maybe add a blue unit over there, or give that bandit a Steel/Devil/Hammer...

* 4 magic and 6 speed for a Lv. 4 Mage? Sure, he's pretty bulky physically, but...

* Yay, another 2 defense unit! And a Myrmidon to boot! It's not like we have too many of those, anyways...

capture_003_07042012_122300.jpg

REALLY? C'mon, no one will use someone with this bad starting stats...

* Bazba is now a Peg. Knight, making "him" one of the easiest bosses ever, since his max speed is 2.

* Hey, a cav with good starting stats! ...And 19 HP. And hey, a semi female, too! (9 CON, 16 Aid)

* Natasha is unchanged...

* Joshua is a Lv. 5 Monk... with 5 Mag and 7 Spd...

EDIT: Evil Eye is usable by anyone, which is a bit of a problem.

Edited by Venusaur

Well, I've started playing this, so I might as well let you know about a few things that irked me, and some things that aren't working right.

* The Yami tome has no animation whatsoever and seems to be doing physical damage.

* Setto starts with an E in Dark: Why? You're pretty much forced to use 10 uses of Yami, because even though you get a Flux tome in Ch. 1, it isn't wieldable with an E in Dark.

* Amy is obviously a MALE Wyvern Knight (9 Con, 16 Aid), when the portrait and name suggest otherwise.

* Have fun manipulating a 43% miss to make sure Ross (completely unedited BTW) survives! Maybe add a blue unit over there, or give that bandit a Steel/Devil/Hammer...

* 4 magic and 6 speed for a Lv. 4 Mage? Sure, he's pretty bulky physically, but...

* Yay, another 2 defense unit! And a Myrmidon to boot! It's not like we have too many of those, anyways...

capture_003_07042012_122300.jpg

REALLY? C'mon, no one will use someone with this bad starting stats...

* Bazba is now a Peg. Knight, making "him" one of the easiest bosses ever, since his max speed is 2.

* Hey, a cav with good starting stats! ...And 19 HP. And hey, a semi female, too! (9 CON, 16 Aid)

* Natasha is unchanged...

* Joshua is a Lv. 5 Monk... with 5 Mag and 7 Spd...

EDIT: Evil Eye is usable by anyone, which is a bit of a problem.

Colm may suck at first, but when hes fully promoted he is great, ross isn't changed himself but he has different promotion paths. You're meant to save him with amy, you'll rescue him on the second turn.

I know about the issue with the monster items, and i know how to fix them.

I know some things don't have animations yet, like yami or certain weapons, but i said i haven't worked on any of the graphical issues yet. I also meant to make yami a little weaker, with infinite issues, but i kept it stronger to make testing a little easier. There is also a really broken monster item on the final chapter, that can almost kill the last boss in one turn. But i still have a lot of kinks to work out like that.

I just downloaded this so far I like it (Ch.2)

I like the addition of monsters as playable units, can the monsters be promoted as well?

Edited by DarkShuyin

Just beat the game today. Some observations and/or thoughts:

1. How does Colm (soldier guy) promote? He's pretty terrible IMO: at Lv. 20 his stats were 32 HP 9 Str 10 Skl 13 Spd 14 Lck 7 Def 7 Res. The master seal doesn't seem to work on him.

2. Is it possible to get more Dummy seals? (I haven't beat the Lagdou ruins yet, but it seems like the Creature Campaign hasn't been edited yet).

3. Hellfang is overpowered (ignores defenses).

4. As mentioned before, Yami doesn't animate properly. I had to turn off animations to play the game.

5. There are some glitches with various units being able to use physical weapons despite being a magic based class. E.g. Rennac, Saleh, etc

6. For future versions, can you remove the rain in Ch. 20? It took forever to move 18 units >.<

7. Despite being a Summoner, Morva can't summon.

8. Knoll is easily the worst unit in the game. 0 base luck and defense? C'mon. He doesn't even get any promotion gains after class change.

Anyway, not a bad start to your hack. If you want to get some ideas on how to improve it or add content take a look at FE Girls.

Just beat the game today. Some observations and/or thoughts:

1. How does Colm (soldier guy) promote? He's pretty terrible IMO: at Lv. 20 his stats were 32 HP 9 Str 10 Skl 13 Spd 14 Lck 7 Def 7 Res. The master seal doesn't seem to work on him.

2. Is it possible to get more Dummy seals? (I haven't beat the Lagdou ruins yet, but it seems like the Creature Campaign hasn't been edited yet).

3. Hellfang is overpowered (ignores defenses).

4. As mentioned before, Yami doesn't animate properly. I had to turn off animations to play the game.

5. There are some glitches with various units being able to use physical weapons despite being a magic based class. E.g. Rennac, Saleh, etc

6. For future versions, can you remove the rain in Ch. 20? It took forever to move 18 units >.<

7. Despite being a Summoner, Morva can't summon.

8. Knoll is easily the worst unit in the game. 0 base luck and defense? C'mon. He doesn't even get any promotion gains after class change.

Anyway, not a bad start to your hack. If you want to get some ideas on how to improve it or add content take a look at FE Girls.

1.I actually remembered that i hadn't made a way for colm to promote when i made this patch, my bad. A knight seal is meant to promote him.

2.At the time, no. It would be a good idea to put some in the creature campaign.\

3.Yea that, and the sharp claws in the final chapter are game-breakers, i'm aware.

5.Not really glitches, more like stuff i forgot to change, as for the pontifex and valkyrie classes it is intentional (no animations made for them yet)

6.Haha, i meant for that to be a pain in the ass, god was it annoying to test that stage.

7.I know about this, but i can't figure out how to get him to summon.

8.Oops, another thing i forgot. I forgot to add promotion gains for the mummy class.

Thanks for the help in finding problems, and i can't believe somebody finished it that quickly.

Ross isn't changed himself but he has different promotion paths. You're meant to save him with amy, you'll rescue him on the second turn.

Well, the thing is, there's a bandit that attacks him on turn 1, while he has 5 HP. If that 43% misses, great, proceed with the chapter. If not, restart/burn RNs...

It'd be better if the miss chance was increased, like that bandit having a Devil/Steel Axe, for example. Less luck based usually = better.

Still, you've got some good ideas, keep going and this will be just fine!

Well, the thing is, there's a bandit that attacks him on turn 1, while he has 5 HP. If that 43% misses, great, proceed with the chapter. If not, restart/burn RNs...

It'd be better if the miss chance was increased, like that bandit having a Devil/Steel Axe, for example. Less luck based usually = better.

Still, you've got some good ideas, keep going and this will be just fine!

Thanks, i guess i'm just lucky and never had a problem with ross surviving, i'll change that. I was thinking of changing the enemies in that stage anyway.

Summons are hardcoded to character slots, meaning Ewan/Knoll is programmed to be a summoner, and Lyon is hardcoded for his special summons. Best to use that slot for the character you want to be able to summon.

I say this a lot, but you might also give FEXP a try. I see that you seem to have a heavy focus on music, which is wtf-easy to manage with FEXP. The only thing that might cause you trouble is lack of multiple promotions, which you seem to be keen on, and lack of a world map, which might also be important to you.

Well, there's also the matter of no save system aside from my own, which I'll release after ragefest, and the lack of a preperations screen. Still, it IS possible to advance through chapters, and save/load your progress in those chapters. Also, making custom events and other custom content should be a lot easier to get used to, it's at least something worth looking into.

Edited by Klokinator

Summons are hardcoded to character slots, meaning Ewan/Knoll is programmed to be a summoner, and Lyon is hardcoded for his special summons. Best to use that slot for the character you want to be able to summon.

I say this a lot, but you might also give FEXP a try. I see that you seem to have a heavy focus on music, which is wtf-easy to manage with FEXP. The only thing that might cause you trouble is lack of multiple promotions, which you seem to be keen on, and lack of a world map, which might also be important to you.

Well, there's also the matter of no save system aside from my own, which I'll release after ragefest, and the lack of a preperations screen. Still, it IS possible to advance through chapters, and save/load your progress in those chapters. Also, making custom events and other custom content should be a lot easier to get used to, it's at least something worth looking into.

hav

Yea i wanted to use FEXP, since i already have experience with RPG maker VX i assumed it would be real easy to get started with. But right now i don't feel like buying another older version of rpg maker, and for whatever reason it won't let me make a trail account, when i put in the email i signed up with into the program, it says my trial is up. I would definitely use it if i was able to.

All I can suggest is you should torrent it if you're so poor like I did get a job I guess.

Its not that i can't afford it, i don't really want to buy an older version of a program i already have, just to make a fire emblem game. I may consider it if FEXP gets some more features, or some of the missing things get worked out (like the save thing and world map)

fexp development currently consists of like klok and me whenever i get really really bored (ie just klok because ruby just annoys me these days)

so you're pretty much sol

Its not that i can't afford it, i don't really want to buy an older version of a program i already have, just to make a fire emblem game. I may consider it if FEXP gets some more features, or some of the missing things get worked out (like the save thing and world map)

You can always make a pseudo-world map, where it's just a regular map with custom tileset. this has been a common thing since the 1980s.

fexp development currently consists of like klok and me whenever i get really really bored (ie just klok because ruby just annoys me these days)

Any chance I can get in on this btw? I've been meaning to give Ruby a real test drive and see just how similar/different it is to Python.