• Announcements

• Tangerine

Serenes Forest Scribbles 2016 has begun, Raffle prizes have been updated!   12/03/16

Hey everyone! We've started up our Creative event once more, you can check out the thread here:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=67567

If you're new here, it's an event where people can submit something they've created for the chance to have some fun and win some prizes. If you've got a talent you'd like to share with the FE community, there's no harm in giving it a go!
CrashGordon94

FE8: The Crash Hack!

117 posts in this topic

[quote name='CrashGordon94' date='16 April 2012 - 03:29 AM' timestamp='1334561389' post='1940909']
P.S. Lumi, what about Berserker!Seth? Then he's all "manly" and is running around with no shirt! I kinda expected you to mention that, actually.
[/quote]

It'd be totally out of character for him and it isn't funny like Dancer and ArcherF.

[quote name='Luminescent Blade' date='16 April 2012 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1334610409' post='1941460']
It'd be totally out of character for him and it isn't funny like Dancer and ArcherF.
[/quote]
Fair enough then.

When is this patch getting made? [img]http://serenesforest.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/Kappa.png[/img]

[quote name='Refa' date='25 April 2012 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1335391043' post='1955101']
When is this patch getting made?
[/quote]
Well, after I get a beter grasp of what I want to do and figure out hacking and stuff and perhaps find someone to help me with precise rebalancing like stats (mostly finding the right numbers that would work well). Finding some people willing sign up for playtesting would be terrific too, since I don't think I'm qualified to do it much and I'd need a second hand opinion anyway.

Also, had some more ideas that I came up with. Edited by CrashGordon94

[quote name='CrashGordon94' date='27 April 2012 - 04:30 AM' timestamp='1335511829' post='1957635']
Finding some people willing sign up for playtesting would be terrific too, since I don't think I'm qualified to do it much and I'd need a second hand opinion anyway.
[/quote]
would it be alright if i playtest too ?

also out of curiosity, are you going to balance the differences between great knight and paladin ?

[quote name='bunnies r awesome' date='28 April 2012 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1335620388' post='1959131']
would it be alright if i playtest too ?

also out of curiosity, are you going to balance the differences between great knight and paladin ?
[/quote]
Certainly! Thank you very much, I'll drop you a line when you're needed!

Yeah, GKs get 7 MOV and a higher Sword rank now. Kinda goes a bit in favor of GKs, actually. :sweatdrop:

Changing the caps doesn't really mean shit outside of Creature Campaign.

Yeah, I had thought of maybe changing the promotion gains so that Paladins are still generally inferior statistically but have some leads on GK (thinking mostly SKL/SPD/RES, with the SPD lead offset by the GK CON lead so that GKs could have higher AS with heavier weapons).

[quote name='CrashGordon94' date='05 May 2012 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1336228828' post='1967946']
Yeah, I had thought of maybe changing the promotion gains so that Paladins are still generally inferior statistically but have some leads on GK (thinking mostly SKL/SPD/RES, with the SPD lead offset by the GK CON lead so that GKs could have higher AS with heavier weapons).
[/quote]

Then give them the same con bonus upon promotion, i dont care if it does not make sense it is a videogame

Yes, let's buff paladins, that oh-so-downtrodden class only scrubs like Franz get into, by lowering their aid. Seriously? I don't even know what that's meant to achieve. What even IS heavier than 11 con, steel lances?

[quote name='Furetchen' date='12 May 2012 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1336779631' post='1976441']
Yes, let's buff paladins, that oh-so-downtrodden class only scrubs like Franz get into, by lowering their aid. Seriously? I don't even know what that's meant to achieve. What even IS heavier than 11 con, steel lances?
[/quote]
Nothing, really. They'd probably prefer to keep the lower AID, if anything, so this actually a nerf rather than a buff. I don't know if I really agree with Paladins having as much CON as bulky units like Knights and Berserkers, however.

The fact that it was a nerf and that his entire post made no sense was my point, but it was poorly worded and... well, discerning tone over the internet.

In fairness he said he didn't care that it didn't make sense, but there's still better ways to go about this.

wait what am i talking about he wants to buff PALADINS over GREAT KNIGHTS what even aargh my head hurts

EDIT: For reference, this would mean a promoted Forde would always have 13 con. So would Franz. And I believe Amelia. Kyle and Orson would both reach 14. Edited by Furetchen

[quote name='Furetchen' date='12 May 2012 - 02:30 AM' timestamp='1336786204' post='1976523']
The fact that it was a nerf and that his entire post made no sense was my point, but it was poorly worded and... well, discerning tone over the internet.
[/quote]
That's true... Edited by Anouleth

I do have reasons for the GK boosts.
7 MOV so that Cavaliers don't LOSE Movement on promotion to the class and so that they'll actually have a MOV bonus on the new Generals.
And D Swords would be so people would actually USE Swords on them if they promoted from an Armor, no matter how much more important Hit gets, I don't Iron would be enough.

Anything given to Pallies would simply be so that GK versus Pallie isn't a complete no-brainer, and they should still be relatively weaker compared to the other classes than they are in vanilla anyway.

1 movement vs. better weapon and promotion bonuses is a good split as it stands and is, rather like Hero vs. Ranger, actually a pretty good balance.

I don't know about most people, but Ranger would need at least 2 movement to beat out the 1-2 range that hero offers, imo

Obviously GK vs. Pally is entirely different though. Edited by General Horace

[quote name='Furetchen' date='13 May 2012 - 01:43 AM' timestamp='1336869792' post='1977752']
1 movement vs. better weapon and promotion bonuses is a good split as it stands and is, rather like Hero vs. Ranger, actually a pretty good balance.
[/quote]
Fair enough! Noted.

[quote name='General Horace' date='13 May 2012 - 04:08 AM' timestamp='1336878483' post='1977937']
I don't know about most people, but Ranger would need at least 2 movement to beat out the 1-2 range that hero offers, imo
[/quote]
I'd certainly consider that, but what about as an Archer promotion? Doesn't that kinda stack the deck against Sniper? Though I suppose Sniper could have another MOV point too, since I've considered 7 MOV Swordmasters.

What I meant to say was is give a con + 2 bonus on both GKs and Pallies when promoted

and the only thing i can think of to balnce sniper and ranger is to give sniper a [b][i]slightly[/i] [/b]enhanced brave bow that only they can weild.

[quote name='CrashGordon94' date='13 May 2012 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1336903902' post='1978180']
I'd certainly consider that, but what about as an Archer promotion? Doesn't that kinda stack the deck against Sniper? Though I suppose Sniper could have another MOV point too, since I've considered 7 MOV Swordmasters.
[/quote]
Snipers are armoured, if not heavily, and do not need to run swiftly, having bows. Besides, the split is movement vs. combat; this would merely blur the line. Snipers NEED a crit bonus, but bows are simply so shit in FE8 due to enemies being almost universally terrible (exception; Dracozombies, but they turn up just that late, and... I guess Deathgoyles? Still.)

Say, here's a thought. Would Pierce be bugged for Snipers the same way it is for Wyvern Knights in vanilla? If not... well, it's worth considering. I'd still give MKs and Rangers 8 move, at least for the sake of principle.

7 move SMs are an interesting idea, but I'd sooner endorse that on Assassins and Rogues. Still not particularly against it, though.

[quote name='Furetchen' date='14 May 2012 - 09:37 AM' timestamp='1336984661' post='1979391']
Snipers are armoured, if not heavily, and do not need to run swiftly, having bows. Besides, the split is movement vs. combat; this would merely blur the line. Snipers NEED a crit bonus, but bows are simply so shit in FE8 due to enemies being almost universally terrible (exception; Dracozombies, but they turn up just that late, and... I guess Deathgoyles? Still.)
[/quote]
Enemies are going to be stronger.
[quote]
Say, here's a thought. Would Pierce be bugged for Snipers the same way it is for Wyvern Knights in vanilla? If not... well, it's worth considering. I'd still give MKs and Rangers 8 move, at least for the sake of principle.
[/quote]
Pierce is a terrible skill. 5% activation? no thanx

I can't really think of much that would make Snipers viable. Maybe make Longbows Sniper-only?

Probably buffing the Longbow, too, to help make the exclusive "good". You don't have to make the weapon absurd, by the way.

[quote name='Anouleth' date='15 May 2012 - 01:49 AM' timestamp='1337010547' post='1979574']
Enemies are going to be stronger.[/quote]
Well, there's half the problem solved... still...
[quote]Pierce is a terrible skill. 5% activation? no thanx[/quote]
5%? Really? I thought it was, like, Skill/2 or something...
[quote]I can't really think of much that would make Snipers viable. Maybe make Longbows Sniper-only?
[/quote]
If like in FE12, or having multiple tiers like RD without them all being shit, I agree.

[quote name='Anouleth' date='14 May 2012 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1337010547' post='1979574']
I can't really think of much that would make Snipers viable. Maybe make Longbows Sniper-only?
[/quote]

Rapier Bow.

[quote name='Furetchen' date='14 May 2012 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1337034055' post='1979962']
Well, there's half the problem solved... still...

5%? Really? I thought it was, like, Skill/2 or something...
[/quote]
It's Level%.