KoT Patch (Update, 4/27: New Shaman Unit Now In C6! C6 Poll Ends Soon!)

Kngt_Of_Titania

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which Features Should Be Implemented in C6?

• A) Make boss a theme, replace more units with shamans!
    • B) Buff up boss and nearby entourage, place spider further back!
    • C) Heavy fog (shorter Fog of War sight distance), give Natasha 15 Use Torch in C5!
    • D) Monster reinforcements!
    • E) Your own idea! (Please post it)

So a few minutes ago, I was testing out the modified Flux and Luna tomes for the shaman in C5, and to do so I tried re-classing Kyle to a shaman to test I hadn't screwed them up somehow. For shits and giggles, I chose the Shaman(F) option on Nightmare. This is what I found:

FemSham1.png

Interested, I checked the Druid(F) option:

FemSham2.png

Both of these suggest an unused character for FE8. I have always thought Knoll came too late, since not having dark magic for most of the game seems sucky, and making C6 a shaman-themed map seems popular, and my biggest worry was implementing the animations...

...You probably know where this is going. Despite the fact that this is my first hack, I'm going to go on a limb and do something I think is cool. So, without further adieu, I announce that I will create Cassandra, the female shaman, and allow you to recruit her in C6!

I kind of suck at splicing, though, so I'll have to make a temporary (probably terrible) portrait unless somebody wants to make some artwork and have it implemented into the KoT hack. So be warned.

I hope you enjoyed reading this announcement as much as I had making it. biggrin.gif

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a few minutes ago, I was testing out the modified Flux and Luna tomes for the shaman in C5, and to do so I tried re-classing Kyle to a shaman to test I hadn't screwed them up somehow. For shits and giggles, I chose the Shaman(F) option on Nightmare. This is what I found:

FemSham1.png

Interested, I checked the Druid(F) option:

FemSham2.png

Both of these suggest an unused character for FE8. I have always thought Knoll came too late, since not having dark magic for most of the game seems sucky, and making C6 a shaman-themed map seems popular, and my biggest worry was implementing the animations...

I think it's more of a case of FE8 being hacked from FE6. They probably didn't bother to remove the Shaman F animation. I don't think there's a Summoner F class, and certainly not an animation for it.

Edited by Anouleth

I think it's more of a case of FE8 being hacked from FE6. They probably didn't bother to remove the Shaman F animation. I don't think there's a Summoner F class, and certainly not an animation for it.

It's probable. Here's the summoner(F) picture -- woman and man animation is the same. And yes, there's a class in FE8 dubbed Summoner(F), although it's basically the same as the male version. Allows me to easily set different stat caps for male/female summoners, at least.

FemSum.png

I'm pretty sure the person is so covered up making out the gender would be difficult, even zooming in. Eventually, I might add one just for her, but I think having one generic summoner animation is good for now. Agree/disagree?

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

Both the FE8 leaked version and the earlier scans show level graphics and palettes remarkably similar (thus lifted or advanced from) to FE7, of which bear no resemblance to materials existing in FE7. I don't really think this merits evidence of it being built of FE6.

Unfortunately, even in the earliest scans where the first few chapters had noticeable differences, a female Shaman was not one of them. There was however a Shaman in Chapter 2 map.

I can see the existing summoner being unisex. Will 'Cassandra' fit everywhere as a name, although I approve of it? I mean, Courfeyrac and Combeferre both had issues in Do5...

Also I'm a not-terrible splicer so I'll take on the job if nobody better shows up

Edited by Furetchen

I can see the existing summoner being unisex. Will 'Cassandra' fit everywhere as a name, although I approve of it? I mean, Courfeyrac and Combeferre both had issues in Do5...

Also I'm a not-terrible splicer so I'll take on the job if nobody better shows up

If not, I could just abbreviate it to Cassie.

EDIT: Btw, here's my final splice before recoloring, until/unless you can take up on the offer:

FinalSpliceBeforeRecoloringFewerColors.png

First splice I've ever done. :>

The splice looks nice, but did you splice the face from Farina's? Because I can still kind of recognize it as her ...

The splice looks nice, but did you splice the face from Farina's? Because I can still kind of recognize it as her ...

Yeah, sadly. It's based off of Farina's face, Cecilia's hair, and Brammimond's robe (had to draw some of this myself since it wasn't large enough). Not sure how to get rid of "it looks like Farina", since I did modify the face a little.

The angle of the head and body also don't seem to correspond from what I can see ... although I am not the right person to be making criticisms of sprites, I think.

Okay, here goes. . .

Bangs - Look kinda blocky

Lock of Hair - That's a strange angle

Klonk's Pixel - self-explanatory

Collar - Curled up funny

And most of the hair could use shading. Unfortunately, that's what I suck at. . .

Are you going to create supports and a reason for joining for said character?

Yes. I want to design said character first before I ever start touching text editing, though.

Bangs - Look kinda blocky

Lock of Hair - That's a strange angle

Klonk's Pixel - self-explanatory

Collar - Curled up funny

The bangs and lock of hair were ALMOST completely (minor alterations, mostly around the ears) Cecilia's original style, although the dark shading brings out certain details more. The hair shading near the robe is one I'd like to address and will try to fix, and the pixel is actually from Farina's face (this one I'll likely tone down the darkness, it doesn't look right without this pixel, surprisingly).

The collar? I actually like it, although I've touched up the rogue two dark blue lines near it. It looks crisper and neater now.

Own idea: expand the map slightly, and add in NPC reinforcements towards the bottom who come to save the day on the third or fourth turn (or once you reach a specific tile). You can add in Cassandra or whoever as your new character who joins by conversation ("we should work together in such dark times" and whatnots).

Or maybe once X amount of enemies have been defeated (spawn X reinforcements every turn until this event, then cut off the spawns).

Those minor altercations are why the bangs look blocky. Observe:

[spoiler=It's big]kfpX8.png

I can attempt to fix those bangs, but I'm not that great with fixing shading. You'll probably want someone better than me.

On the topic of Dark Magic users, I was wondering if you'd consider giving Summoners base C-rank or D-rank Staves. It always seemed a bit weird to me that a support class got E-staves when Sages get D-rank

On the topic of Dark Magic users, I was wondering if you'd consider giving Summoners base C-rank or D-rank Staves. It always seemed a bit weird to me that a support class got E-staves when Sages get D-rank

Sages and bishops both get C staves on promotion currently in KoT patch. I haven't addressed Druids or Summoners yet, but I'll likely go D or C staves for them too.

Also, I think I took your constructive criticisms to heart and fixed most of them, at least. Took me a couple hours since I'm absolutely terrible at art.

FinalSpliceRetouched.png

Better? Anyways, time to make the talking animations and chibi for FEAdv.

This is just my opinion, but why did you nerf Seth THAT badly? I would understand a severe growth nerf across the board, but that bad of a reduction of his bases, up against these enemies? Are you trying to make an FE8 Maniac Mode?

This is just my opinion, but why did you nerf Seth THAT badly? I would understand a severe growth nerf across the board, but that bad of a reduction of his bases, up against these enemies? Are you trying to make an FE8 Maniac Mode?

The nerf in bases are accompanied by a large increase to his growths, so he ends up with stats around Franz's when both are level 20 promoted. Even with his nerf and the buffing of others, he's still the most useful unit you have in early-game, for sure.

As for the difficulty, I guess you would call it Maniac since it's harder than Difficult vanilla FE8, but that's not saying much, really.

Update:

Before I go to bed for the night, I managed to finish the rest of the rough draft artwork and put Cassie in place of Eirika, blinking eyes, moving mouth, and all. Here's what it looked like:

CassieAnimationSuccess.png

My main worry is that she doesn't fit in well with the FE8 artwork. I'm wondering what I could do to make her fit in better, or to improve her art in general. Any opinions or suggestions at all would be welcome, especially from spriters.

Just one question. . .mind if I screw with Cassie's hair color?

EDIT: Upon further review. . .I'm gonna see if I can do something about her body. I can't freehand to save my life.

Edited by eclipse

Update:

Before I go to bed for the night, I managed to finish the rest of the rough draft artwork and put Cassie in place of Eirika, blinking eyes, moving mouth, and all. Here's what it looked like:

CassieAnimationSuccess.png

My main worry is that she doesn't fit in well with the FE8 artwork. I'm wondering what I could do to make her fit in better, or to improve her art in general. Any opinions or suggestions at all would be welcome, especially from spriters.

If you're worried about her style not matching, redo her hair shading/strands to be similar to the FE8 ones, which are much more "striking" in their appearance (more "strand...y"). Also, rework your body for the person--it's not at an angle that matches the head.

Considering FE8's overshaded hair and your distinctly FE7 hair shading (less than FE7, actually...) I'd say either splice her some new hair with actual shading, or try drawing in shading yourself. Right now it's pretty terrible.

Also, I shouldn't need to point it out but there's no shading at all on the body.

If you're terrible at art, like me, get a whole bunch of progress done on the hack, gameplay and text wise, and then ask spriters for help so they know you do a good job.