Rate the Unit, Day 18: Brom

PKL

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy biggrin.gif.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Rolf: 1.154

Shinon: 3

Volke : 4.824

Ilyana: 4.98

Soren: 5.152

Rhys: 5.315

Gatrie: 5.463

Mia: 5.708

Mist: 6.413

Mordecai: 6.547

Lethe: 6.75

Boyd: 8.293

Ike: 8.567

Oscar: 9.075

Kieran: 9.231

Marcia: 9.36

Titania: 9.91

Edited by PKL

1/10

Anyway, ass Mov really kills everything he has "going for him" (if he has anything going for him). His bases are kind of crappy even by an Armor Knight's standard and it takes nearly a miracle to double with him (unless it's against his own Armor Knight kin). I guess he does have a small edge with a nice affinity... but... why deploy him when he's so goddamn slow and the team is more than likely half on mounts / laguz?

Brom actually gets pretty good offense if you give him the KW and some BEXP levels. He's also durable and has good supports. Unfortunately, low Mov and being difficult to transport doesn't do him any favors.

4/10

I misread this as RTU:Boron.

Eh, FE9 is a mixed blessing for a lot of units. Bexp/forges allows us to fix the problems of many, but then again

It also has 6 op pallies, 4 op beorc flyers, 4 great beast laguz and Boyd/neph/tormod for infantry

And Reyson.

Among the Worst fe games for an armour to be in.

Eh, next is Neph, amirite?

1/10

Anyway, ass Mov really kills everything he has "going for him" (if he has anything going for him). His bases are kind of crappy even by an Armor Knight's standard

He's faster than Oswin, Gatrie, Barth; in other words, every armour knight previously. I guess they generally have better strength, though...

He's faster than Oswin, Gatrie, Barth; in other words, every armour knight previously. I guess they generally have better strength, though...

I guess you have a decent point with that. 7 Spd is kind of quick for an Armor Knight...

...It's just a shame that it's still too slow. @_@;

Brom, that country guy with lots of kids.

Pros:

erruh...umm...lemmie think here...

Good defense?

ok strength?

Cons:

Way too slow.

Bad move.

Ehh....

Ill be honest, i never really used Brom in this game. So i have no idea how he can really turn out on average. I find him to be pretty much filler and not really the good kind that you can fall back on. Merrr....

I guess im gonna toss him a 3/10 because im sure he may have a use among niche players but i just...never used him and never saw the point.

High defense and water affinity. Aside from that, he has bad movement, mediocre strength and skill, and terrible speed. I guess he can use the Knight Ward to turn his speed growth to 55%, but that doesn't make up for every other flaw he has, and other units will want the Knight Ward more than him.

2/10

2/10

What's the point of being able to kill anything if by the time you finally get to your destination everyone already killed everything for you? Having terrible speed doesn't help your case either. Brom has high defense though and can serve as a lovely wall if you want him to (I wouldn't expect him to keep up with anyone though),

I dislike Brom. I dislike generals in general (pun not intended), but Brom is really high up there on my list of dislikes. Why? Well, low movement is always irritating to work around, but to make it worse, he's slow. That wouldn't be a crime (who expects a general to be fast) in of itself if he came at least at a point where the majority of the party was still struggling to double. As-is, he joins pretty well on when units are starting to double reliably and only a select few can't double. To make it worse, this only becomes worse throughout the rest of the game. Mordi could at least be redeemed with a speedwing or two and had high movement. Brom needs the Knight ward and both wings to be able to double and is STILL stuck with low movement! Mordi demi'ed may not be as durable, but I would rather take him over Brom.

1.5/10

High defense and water affinity. Aside from that, he has bad movement, mediocre strength and skill, and terrible speed. I guess he can use the Knight Ward to turn his speed growth to 55%, but that doesn't make up for every other flaw he has, and other units will want the Knight Ward more than him.

2/10

In a game where the handful of mounted units run the game, Brom just gets left in the dust, with tolerable offense & wsuperior defense. He and Neph work well with eachother, but still, he isn't worth writing home about. If I'm not using Neph with him, I'm not using him.

So assuming I'm using Neph too, he earns a 3, for tankiness and boosting offense with Water affinity. If only he want weighed down by steel at the start.

Edited by Elieson

To make it worse, this [brom's doubling prospects] becomes worse throughout the rest of the game. Mordi could at least be redeemed with a speedwing or two and had high movement. Brom needs the Knight ward and both wings to be able to double and is STILL stuck with low movement!

Or not. A 20/1 Brom with 10 Knight Ward levels has 15 Spd. This doubles the majority of units in C17. If you're willing to staple the Knight Ward to Brom and give him a bunch of Bexp (like you would need to give Soren, Mia, Ilyana, Nephenee, Zihark, and company), Brom can become a solid combat unit (great Str and Def and solid Spd) with poor movement.

PROS:

-high STR and DEF

-Knight Ward access for better SPD

CONS:

-low movement

-crappy speed

-needs a good amount of Bexp to be acceptable

Brom is just like Gatrie but without earlygame utility and worse support options. In LTC play he is garbage but in a casual or semi-efficient setting he can have some uses.

4.25/10 - It is hard for him to earn a deployment.

Or not. A 20/1 Brom with 10 Knight Ward levels has 15 Spd. This doubles the majority of units in C17. If you're willing to staple the Knight Ward to Brom and give him a bunch of Bexp (like you would need to give Soren, Mia, Ilyana, Nephenee, Zihark, and company), Brom can become a solid combat unit (great Str and Def and solid Spd) with poor movement.

Okay. Fair enough. Generals still have awful movement though. Plus, in order to get that 10 levels he would basically have to not fight until you got Astrid. This means you can't use him on the gangplanks in 13 or to clear a lower path in 11 and 12 is possibly right out for deployment (since the ravens give a load of EXP). Well, maybe he could do one of those, but only one or else he could easily get too much EXP.

And his movement still blows chunks. At least the sages get ranged weapons and don't have to worry as much about the terrain as generals do.

This means you can't use him on the gangplanks in 13 or to clear a lower path in 11 and 12 is possibly right out for deployment (since the ravens give a load of EXP).

You say this like he's a decent unit for those tasks. He's not.

He'll never reach the gangplanks because the enemies will have already suicided on Lethe/Titania/Keiran/Jill/Marcia/Oscar/any footunit I'm forgetting). 11 has the most pathetic enemies known to man on the bottom route (pretty sure Lv12 Mia can solo them though I can't see her being that low of a level with all the BExp) and 12 has the Ravens doubling him for more damage than he would like to take (18 Atk x2 against 28 HP and 13 Def means that he's 3RKOd).

AKA, not a good unit for even those purposes.

You say this like he's a decent unit for those tasks. He's not.

He'll never reach the gangplanks because the enemies will have already suicided on Lethe/Titania/Keiran/Jill/Marcia/Oscar/any footunit I'm forgetting). 11 has the most pathetic enemies known to man on the bottom route (pretty sure Lv12 Mia can solo them though I can't see her being that low of a level with all the BExp) and 12 has the Ravens doubling him for more damage than he would like to take (18 Atk x2 against 28 HP and 13 Def means that he's 3RKOd).

AKA, not a good unit for even those purposes.

Those are the only purposes I could see him being used for though. Even if you don't use Titania and the Laguz except to recruit Zihark on 11 your mounted units should blow through the middle/lower paths before he can do much beyond kill, at most, three units (just the most I can see him getting). Even assuming that's average for one chapter, I can't use him until I get the KW afterwards or else risk losing that speed. I'll take your word on the Ravens (I never used him there and I suspect they would rather go after squishier units than him anyways making his tanking useless), and, while I disagree on the gangplanks, even if you DO take it slow he's good for only blocking off one plank until your more offensive units can clear ahead.

Edit: If Brom kills Zihark in 11, will Meg not appear in RD?

Edited by Snowy_One

Overall, I you have to go out of your way to cope with his low MOV and he has to hog that Knight Ward so his speed won't be so awful. He probably won't get used because you could give him BEXP to get started, but that means Kieran doesn't get as much. At least he's durable and has good supports.

2.5/10 because at least he can be somewhat useful if you put provoke on him. Unfortunately, a bunch of other units can do that too.

I think it's funny that he's faster than Gatrie in PoR, but Gatrie is faster in RD.