What exactly makes Thracia 776 hard?

Exiledwolf

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry, you can handle it.

Early on you (mild spoilers) lose all of your best guys for a series of chapters, and you gotta work with people who are not very good. As time goes on you have to learn to deal with strong ballistae, impressive bosses, and (much later on) leadership stars and enemy skills. The hardest thing is doing completionist stuff, but you're given all the tools you need to do it. Play and have fun! Also, don't underestimate Dagda. That guy's a monster.

For me Xavier wasn't all that bad, and I don't save scum. The hardest single thing for me was getting Dean's lance. It's probably not as bad as I remember though.

Edited by Duff Ostrich

Sorry if this has been repeated alot. But I recently downloaded Thracia and this has been hailed as. one if the most difficult FEs. Anyone care to explain why? I just want to be sure I can take on this challenge.

The game feels like the vender-trash it is. :P:

Quite literally--it doesn't feel like the game actually meant to be a product for gamers who didn't utilize the Nintendo Power service, sort of how Super Famicom Wars was a game meant exclusively for those who had won that contest--and no one else. Various elements of the game seem to be in-place but they aren't polished. Events often "jump out" at you as a player. There's some really strange requirements here and there (Xavier). The game suddenly and abruptly ending (in comparison with other games in the series).

It feels like a rough pre-final state of the game, and some its effects are read out as difficult. The game doesn't feel like it ever reached the stage of smoothing it out, to me :/

What pissed me off in Thracia were Leaf's lovely stats because those are pathetic. But if you aren't playing blind, just get every scroll, see what they do and give to to who needs them (or to Leaf). That should fix Leaf's stats. Once everyone gets a few levels in them, the game is pretty doable if you know what is happening, especially some chapters where it is best to just warp staff abuse to finish them fast (eg the bridge chapter). Chapter 24x was super annoying and Xavier's recruitment wasn't what I would call fun...

Also the fact that the current patch is a mess is kind of annoying and a bit of a turn off, but nothing you can't deal with.

Yeah. Ima be playing this blind. But any recommendations on characters to use with minimum spoilers. Looking at the character list, I have 4 in mind. Im probavly gonna use the site to look at the requirements for unlocking Gaiden chapters

1. Useless Lord

2. Things the game doesn't tell you. Including numerous numerous instances of enemy reinforcements (which spawn on enemy phase and get to attack as soon as they spawn) appearing just in the right places to fuck you over, there's also a part after Ch 3 that can really screw you over if you don't have the right weapons on the right characters. Oh, and be sure to have Leaf be the last person to escape a map, or else everyone else is captured.

3. Really good level design, not in your favor.

4. Single RN system. Makes high hit rates miss more often and low hit rates hit more often than in the Double RN system, so it usually helps out the enemies more than it helps out you.

5. All stats (except HP) cap at 20. Meaning by endgame having really strong units will only help you to a point. Not to mention later levels are rife with enemies using a weapon that will drop you to 1 HP no matter what your stats are.

6. No formation feature. This is really annoying when the game starts splitting your army into groups at the start of a level and you can't control who is in what group.

7. Leadership stars. Cyas's two chapters especially, but just in general bosses have a good amount of leadership.

8. Gate/throne bonuses grant 10 defense. Makes bosses more difficult.

9. Tons of long-range magic.

10. Dismounting makes your mounted units typically useless in indoor maps (especially since many start with an E sword rank)

11. Enemies have very high crit chances, and the crit formula for Thracia is different so that a crit is basically death. Mitigated somewhat by the 12 Hoplon Guards you get over the course of the game.

12. Xavier.

And probably more.

EDIT: Character recommendations:

1. Othin

2. Asvel

3. Karin

4. Finn

5. Brighton

6. Nanna

7. Fergus

Edited by General Banzai

leaf is not a shitty lord, you guys are on crack, pcp, or both.

if you're used to playing other FE games, FE5 has a lot of things that would make you think "what the fuck," but that's basically it. it's not as hard or bad as people claim and celice usually has terrible opinions anyway.

Edited by dondon151

leaf is not a shitty lord, you guys are on crack, pcp, or both.

if you're used to playing other FE games, FE5 has a lot of things that would make you think "what the fuck," but that's basically it. it's not as hard or bad as people claim and celice usually has terrible opinions anyway.

One need only click the links in dondon's sig to see that his notion of what's 'difficult' isn't the same as most people's.

Enemies spawn pretty randomly too, so don't expect every single chapter to be the same. The only difficulty from this game is indeed the fact that you will see absolutely none of the dumb shit in this game coming.

The game is only super hard if you're playing blind. It's actually rather easy on replays.

But tons of times it feels the game just trolls you. One particular map feels like the designers were saying "We didn't make this hard enough, let's give every enemy unit +45% hit and avoid".

I'm playing it for the first time and am on chapter 16a. Anywho it has not been hard. I'm playing it as blindly as possible. I say as possible because I've read things on this forum regarding certain events. Anywho I won't officially say what I think until I finish it.

One need only click the links in dondon's sig to see that his notion of what's 'difficult' isn't the same as most people's.

Honestly with Warp existing, the only real difficult chapters are Manster... And maybe recruiting Xavier.

1-Life and spd ring Leaf for Manster

2.-don't bring alot of crap to Manster

3.-Get the Gaidens

4-Fear Cyrus

5.-rotate units.

6.-Get scrolls

Units that I'd use

Fin

Fergus

Othin/HAlvan

Brighton/Hicks

Asvel

Any staff user

KArin

Dean

Lara

Dagda

Selphina, Glade and Co.

Carrion

Delmud/Ralph

Sety

and screw Xavier and Cyrus with a knife

I can't

Maybe you can

Well I can, making us 3 to 1 for "don't have to recruit xavier to play the game" which makes your opinion objectively wrong.

Or at the very least, obviously not the opinion of everybody else.

She's not generally considered all that good, but use her if you want. She's super fast and that's about it, and there are a lot of super fast folks in this game.

Edited by Duff Ostrich